MY DYING BRIDE Parts Ways With Guitarist HAMISH GLENCROSS, Welcomes Back CALVIN ROBER

U.K. doom metal veterans MY DYING BRIDE have parted ways with guitarist Hamish Glencross due to "irreconcilable differences" and have been rejoined by Calvin Robertshaw. MY DYING BRIDE's three remaining festival appearances in 2014 — Denmark's Copenhell on June 13, Slovenia's Metaldays on July 25 and Czech Republic's Brutal Assault on August 9 — will all go ahead as planned and will feature the band's longstanding guitar technician Robb Philpotts filling in on guitar. Regarding Robertshaw's return to MY DYING BRIDE, the band states: "Calvin is one of the original guitarists that helped make MY DYING BRIDE what it is today. His departure after the now-infamous '34.788% Complete' album left us all stunned but now we have convinced him to rejoin and are sure this is going to be a success. "We feel that MY DYING BRIDE has now stabilised again and we are really, really excited at the prospect of going forward as a band united again by doom metal music. "We will be working together with Calvin on finishing the new LP, which we plan to record later this year. "The writing of the new LP has been progressing somewhat slower than usual due to our internal problems, but despite that we now have around seven new songs in a very complete fashion, obviously we are now all wondering what Calvin can bring and now can't wait to get back into the studio to find out. "The studio we have chosen to use for the majority of the recording is our old haunt Academy Studios. Then we will be back at Futureworks for some finishing off and possibly vocals. Time will tell. "We would like to thank from the very bottom of all our hearts, all of our supporters old and new for their patience and love, we promise you a continued and very much stronger MY DYING BRIDE in the future." MY DYING BRIDE released a new EP, "The Manuscript", in May 2013 via Peaceville Records on CD and vinyl. "The Manuscript" contained four new and exclusive songs. It was recorded and mixed at Futureworks Studios in Manchester, U.K. with the band's longtime producer, Rob "Mags" Magoolagan. MY DYING BRIDE's latest full-length album, "A Map Of All Our Failures", was released on October 15, 2012 in Europe and October 16, 2012 in the U.S. via Peaceville Records on CD, double vinyl and special-edition CD+DVD.

Read more... then come back and comment below.

I haven't heard the UK Solstice... good stuff?
If you like sprawling, epic doom with some folky elements, then yes, I think you would dig it. Kind of in that Candlemass/Solitude Aeturnus vein, but more drawn out and moody. I think I have one of their songs posted in the Doom 101 thread, but it's been a while since I've checked on those threads, so I'm not sure. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm. I'll have to hear it. Neither Candlemass nor Solitude Aeturnus has ever really appealed to me. I'll have a look through that thread or just check YouTube' date=' though.[/quote'] It feels different than those bands, but uses similar techniques. Clean, soaring vocals, epic construction, heavy guitars, but almost has more of a pagan metal vibe than the classic doom vibe of either of the bands mentioned. Based on your tastes, I would think that Solstice would be a better fit for you, but I'm not sure that you would go crazy about them. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'll definitely listen to it. I've been really busy the last few days. It'll come down to my perception of the vocals and the melodies. I like the elements of classic doom, but I have yet to find a band that holds my interest from a musical standpoint. My exposure to a lot of classic doom was at an inopportune time in my teenage years, when I was getting over death metal and getting into black metal. Traditional doom was the last thing I wanted to hear at the time. I'm probably more open to it now; I only started getting into Black Sabbath over the past three years, for that matter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies