New classic rock and metal girl here!

Carmilla1

If you want to hear him as a younger man' date=' doing something a bit less modern-sounding, check out the Sanctuary album "Refuge Denied". Some searingly high vocals on that one.[/quote'] Incredible high vocals! I've always loved a good singer with a wide vocal range though so this is just my kind of thing. Thanks :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you like it! :) a lot of people just dismiss it because its not Rob Halford' date=' personally I think Tim Owens is awesome.Also give Judas Rising a listen if you havent already. :)[/quote']Yeah, Judas Rising is a great song. love how it builds up to a drum solo in the beginning then just kicks off from there! Some wonderful guitar work there too. But I've always rated Tipton and Downing so that's no surprise.

Hi I'm from Sheffield in the north of England' date=' studying at the University of Sheffield. I'm mainly into classic rock - the kind of stuff which made the foundations of heavy metal such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. I like Judas Priest 70s stuff especially - a bit underrated I feel. Their work on Sad wings of destiny, Sin after sin and Stained class in particular should be considered classics of the genre.I also like thrash - only the most obvious ones like Slayer , Megadeth and Metallica tbh but I'm looking to explore more.Like some stoner rock/metal too like Electric Wizard and Monster Magnet.[url']https://metalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif
Some solid references to some great albums here especially Priest albums - "Sad...." and "Stained Class" are absolute classics IMO. I gave up with Slayer after "Seasons..." although I am told "Divine Intervention" is decent too, Metallica lost total credibility after the black album but their first 4 albums are absolutely essential (even though flawed in places). Megadave deserve props too but they are hindered by having a right knob for a leader. Seriously I would rather live next door to a terrorist cell than live next door to Dave Mustaine! Welcome aboard, what are you studying?

Some solid references to some great albums here especially Priest albums - "Sad...." and "Stained Class" are absolute classics IMO. I gave up with Slayer after "Seasons..." although I am told "Divine Intervention" is decent too, Metallica lost total credibility after the black album but their first 4 albums are absolutely essential (even though flawed in places). Megadave deserve props too but they are hindered by having a right knob for a leader. Seriously I would rather live next door to a terrorist cell than live next door to Dave Mustaine! Welcome aboard, what are you studying?
Thanks! Yeah I agree about Metallica's first four albums. The black album is good but it seems to be lacking in something - like it doesn't have as much 'life' in it and the rawness is gone. Mustaine does come across badly sometimes. I study history. Doing medieval stuff at the minute so lot's of barbarian tribes, Romans, Vikings, battles, dynastic rivalries etc. edit: I do a module in literature as well - poetry through the ages so we've looked at medieval things like the Arthurian Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Beowulf (both in translation obviously); the obligatory Shakespeare, John Donne and the romantic poets; war poetry etc. Also a beginner's German module too.

Thanks! Yeah I agree about Metallica's first four albums. The black album is good but it seems to be lacking in something - like it doesn't have as much 'life' in it and the rawness is gone. Mustaine does come across badly sometimes. I study history. Doing medieval stuff at the minute so lot's of barbarian tribes, Romans, Vikings, battles, dynastic rivalries etc. edit: I do a module in literature as well - poetry through the ages so we've looked at medieval things like the Arthurian Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Beowulf (both in translation obviously); the obligatory Shakespeare, John Donne and the romantic poets; war poetry etc. Also a beginner's German module too.
Have you not been drawn to any Viking/Folk metal as a result of your studies? I studied some poetry at A-Level (20+ years ago) and remember only William Blakes amazing poems about war to be honest but did dabble in writing some of my own back then as a result - from memory even got some published in the student mag, I was the editor though!

Have you not been drawn to any Viking/Folk metal as a result of your studies? I studied some poetry at A-Level (20+ years ago) and remember only William Blakes amazing poems about war to be honest but did dabble in writing some of my own back then as a result - from memory even got some published in the student mag' date=' I was the editor though![/quote'] It may be an area of the genre to explore actually - think I might have done a some point actually. I quite like Amon Amarth. They're the only death metal band I've taken a liking to so far actually as I don't usually like the vocals but they're a bit more melodic. I should probably check them out again at some point. Mostly it's made me want to listen to medieval music actually. Edit: Bathory is to my liking though too actually!

Medieval music is some of my favorite music to listen to! Though I'm mostly into early polyphony' date=' and some Byzantine chant - I love the a cappella stuff. Folk music doesn't hold as much appeal for me.[/quote'] Yeah there's something really captivating about medieval music - especially chants. So atmospheric. Folk's never had great appeal to me to be honest - but I've not listened to a great deal of it so perhaps I should.

I agree, chants are so soothing and transporting to me. Have you listened to the a cappella groups Lionheart, Hilliard Ensemble, or Trio Medieval? Trio Medieval has a beautiful album of folk songs (called "Folk Songs" :D) as well as some great sacred music. With few exceptions, though, I haven't heard a lot of folk that hasn't been filtered through modern pop sensibility. It gets a bit cloying at times. But I do enjoy Hedningarna and Groupa, who combine folk with some modern elements, and rely on their musicianship without giving on to the urge to write accessible singles. For that matter, there's some bluegrass that I enjoy a lot too, another great folk tradition, though it's been a long time since I listened to anything besides Doc Watson.

I agree' date=' chants are so soothing and transporting to me. Have you listened to the a cappella groups Lionheart, Hilliard Ensemble, or Trio Medieval? Trio Medieval has a beautiful album of folk songs (called "Folk Songs" :D) as well as some great sacred music. With few exceptions, though, I haven't heard a lot of folk that hasn't been filtered through modern pop sensibility. It gets a bit cloying at times. But I do enjoy Hedningarna and Groupa, who combine folk with some modern elements, and rely on their musicianship without giving on to the urge to write accessible singles. For that matter, there's some bluegrass that I enjoy a lot too, another great folk tradition, though it's been a long time since I listened to anything besides Doc Watson.[/quote'] I have't listened to those groups specifically much, but it is the sort of think I like actually. I find the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to have a similar quality to it actually - especially the elvish parts. I like lute music too. John Dowland is really good I think.

I have't listened to those groups specifically much, but it is the sort of think I like actually. I find the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to have a similar quality to it actually - especially the elvish parts. I like lute music too. John Dowland is really good I think.
Check out Hilliard Ensemble's "Perotin", Lionheart's "Paris 1200", and Trio Medieval's "Stella Maris" for some beautiful chanting. I'm really happy I wasn't raised Catholic; some of my friends who had Catholic upbringing have very bad associations with that music.

Are there many other metal fans where the rest of you live? People at my school were many into Slipknot, Linkin Park and Metallica's black album etc. There were some other girls but they were mainly into Avenged Sevenfold and metalcore as well as stuff like Bullet for my Valentine, My chemical romance Evanescence etc. I never liked that kind of thing. I liked the old school stuff like Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin (although not all of their's is heavy) and Priest.

Are there many other metal fans where the rest of you live? People at my school were many into Slipknot, Linkin Park and Metallica's black album etc. There were some other girls but they were mainly into Avenged Sevenfold and metalcore as well as stuff like Bullet for my Valentine, My chemical romance Evanescence etc. I never liked that kind of thing. I liked the old school stuff like Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin (although not all of their's is heavy) and Priest.
Other than a couple of friends that I got into metal, I was the only metal fan I was aware of in high school, other than a few metalcore kids with a passing interest in some of the more popular bands of the time, or the classic rock guys that like some Sabbath and Motörhead. There was a jock kid that would play Cannibal Corpse in our weight lifting class, but he was really just into them for the novelty of the name and sound. I've never been tall, and I was of a pretty small build back then (I think I weighed 140 lbs when I graduated), but nobody ever gave me shit about anything. I got some pretty priceless looks from the mostly Mormon student body while blasting Bathory, Death Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, etc... in the parking lot on my way in and out from school. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

There weren't many metalheads in high school with me, or college for that matter, but my social circle has included a lot of fellow metal listeners since I was a teenager, from local scenes wherever I live, or people I met through other friends. There are a ton of metalheads here in the city and at least half of my friends are into it like I am. Most of my friends are musicians. I suppose I'm lucky... :D

Yeah there weren't many proper metalheads - or at least not many with a knowledge of earlier bands. Mostly they were metalcore and emo types and some who dabbled in the most well known metal bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica. It was quite funny once. I met another girl who said she liked rock and metal like me. She liked Led Zeppelin (well, Robert Plant at least but I understand that. I only really like long haired guys ;) as well but she said that she was a big Metallica fan yet when I asked about their first four albums she'd not listened to them - only the black album. Nothing wrong with that of course but still. Some people at my school didn't know who the Rolling Stones were so you see what I'm dealing with here. Apart from the small group of metalcore/emo and nu-metal kids, most everyone else was into pop with very little idea about classic rock let alone metal. I made friends with some musicians at my next school (sixth form in the uk - to do a levels which are entrance exams for university). But still not too many actual metalheads. Though quite a few classic rock fans - The Doors, Pink Floyd etc.

he classic rock guys that like some Sabbath and Motörhead. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
This may be me to some extent! But I like more metal than that so I always say that I like both, but mostly what you might call 'classic ' metal. I'm expanding things though. I like finding new music. It's funny, I never met a proper metalhead who knew about 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s metal of different sub-genres and the history of the metal (lots of classic rock as well which I think a lot of 18 year olds don't tend to know about such as Jethro Tull, UFO, Uriah Heep etc) until I moved into uni halls last September and now I live with one - He's my flatmate! :)

Really liking Death at the at the moment. Listened to Leprosy and Symbolic' date=' thanks to your suggestions guys in the new acquisitions thread. I quite love it actually.[/quote'] Can you give Bolt Thrower's Warmaster album a go? Please :3 it's really good :D (It's my favourite DM album and one of my favourite albums of all time.)

Can you give Bolt Thrower's Warmaster album a go? Please :3 it's really good :D (It's my favourite DM album and one of my favourite albums of all time.)
Okay at this rate I'm going to be busy the whole week just listening to stuff !https://metalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif But hey, I'm in that kind of mood at the moment. It's funny, I was really keen to explore metal more last summer/autumn but seemed to have stagnated a bit. Got my interest back now it seems!

Not metal related, but this is one of the most interesting and strangest things I've heard:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbqyIxcLwjoIt's a German medieval song (although I think the music is modern, played in a medieval style) taking the 'dance of death' theme popular in art at the time. I came across it when researching my essay on the impact of the black death. Basically, death is addressing the different people - the king, the cleric, the carpenter, the usurer and mankind in general that none can escape him , no matter whether rich or poor; pious or immoral. Bit morbid, but fascinating too. This video has a crude translation, which is fortunate as it's in medieval German so probably not easy to understand. I do beginner's German so it's kind of of interest to me.