meow=) or..hello from USA

mindy6158

My favorite track from Still Life is Moonlapse Vertigo. It's got what's probably my favorite Opeth riff. I've been into those guys since Morningrise came out, but each new album has been a little bit of a challenge for me to get into. I agree with Mindy that the real change happened around My Arms, Your Hearse, and they spent the next few albums elaborating on the style. I've only started getting into black metal again recently, I was really inspired by it in my teens and early twenties but lost interest seven or eight years ago. There's a lot to catch up on.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Metal is still kinda new to me - I have only just really started to explore the genre beyond Burzum, Emperor, Darkthrone etc. Death metal was the first real extreme music I got into and holds a special place in my heart as a result, fell out with it for a few years but since discovering the bands I mentioned earlier my interest has been reinvigorated. "Still Life" was one of the last albums I picked up from that list - it was going cheap at an exchange store in town. Really like "Face Of Melinda" from that album, it's got real flow to it.
Yeah I am not real into black metal, of the black metalish bands I like, I would not consider pure black metal or anything, but I guess you or any black metal fans would know better than I. Also of the ones I like they tend to be more female singers (opera IX, gallhammer), I am not a fan of that high pitch stuff that the men do I guess, although I reallllyyy like the song dunkelheit by Burzum, I tried playing it on keyboard piano, very easy to play it seems=) Yes Face of Melinda is good, but I am not all for slow songs, I can listen to them ever now and again, but not constant.

My favorite track from Still Life is Moonlapse Vertigo. It's got what's probably my favorite Opeth riff. I've been into those guys since Morningrise came out, but each new album has been a little bit of a challenge for me to get into. I agree with Mindy that the real change happened around My Arms, Your Hearse, and they spent the next few albums elaborating on the style. I've only started getting into black metal again recently, I was really inspired by it in my teens and early twenties but lost interest seven or eight years ago. There's a lot to catch up on.
Yes Moonlapse Vertigo is one of my favorites as well. What do you think of Serenity Painted Death? I was not really super into metal until I was about 18 or so, heh, and even then it was mainstream stuff, but now I only like some b lack metal, not really my thing.

Yes Tool is GGAAHHHH=D Have you seen the kids playing 46&2 on youtube? They blew me the hell away. heh.
Tool is indeed very 'GGAAAHHHH'! :D I just love the dude's voice. What do you think of A Perfect Circle? And I think I've seen that vid come up on my Facebook newsfeed- will check it out. Hardly a surprise about the vocals, though...

Tool is indeed very 'GGAAAHHHH'! :D I just love the dude's voice. What do you think of A Perfect Circle? And I think I've seen that vid come up on my Facebook newsfeed- will check it out. Hardly a surprise about the vocals' date=' though...[/quote'] I also like APC a lot, but mainly the first two albums, mer de noms is probably my favorite of all, especially the tracks "judith" and "hollow." Although I do not like them as much as Tool, I think he uses his voice more in Tool. What do you think?

I like Serenity Painted Death, of course! But I don't listen to any of their albums track by track - I almost always listen to them all the way through. I'll have "favorite" tracks or moments that I wait for on a CD, but I like hearing the whole thing for context. There are lots of great recommendations around on the forum, including some specific threads with YouTube links. Check out anything that appeals, you never know what you might discover. I'm finding new music all the time these days.

I like Serenity Painted Death, of course! But I don't listen to any of their albums track by track - I almost always listen to them all the way through. I'll have "favorite" tracks or moments that I wait for on a CD, but I like hearing the whole thing for context. There are lots of great recommendations around on the forum, including some specific threads with YouTube links. Check out anything that appeals, you never know what you might discover. I'm finding new music all the time these days.
Will do thanks a lot. Are there many metal fans where you are located?

I also like APC a lot' date=' but mainly the first two albums, mer de noms is probably my favorite of all, especially the tracks "judith" and "hollow." Although I do not like them as much as Tool, I think he uses his voice more in Tool. What do you think?[/quote'] I really like them too, although I'm mainly familiar with Thirteenth Step. I prefer Tool as they have more depth to their songwriting and they're darker and heavier, but APC, although simple, have some really beautiful songs that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (corny as that may sound); they're a great band to just chill to. So, the million dollar question; what's your favourite Tool album?!

I really like them too' date=' although I'm mainly familiar with Thirteenth Step. I prefer Tool as they have more depth to their songwriting and they're darker and heavier, but APC, although simple, have some really beautiful songs that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (corny as that may sound); they're a great band to just chill to. So, the million dollar question; what's your favourite Tool album?![/quote'] haha, not corny, I know that feel=P Especially when Maynard yell sings, gggaaaahhhhhh. And oh jeeze you really want me to pick a favorite album? I can not know this, but some of my favorite Tool songs would be 46&2, Push-it, Stinkfist, Prison sex, Sober (although wwaaayyy overplayed bbuuhhh), Opiate, Eulogy, Aenema, and probably parabola. heh I also RREEAAALLLYYY love that deftones song Passanger featuring Maynard, in my opinion his voice sounds best I have ever heard in that song.

There are tons of metalheads and metal bands in NYC. It's oversaturated. Half my good friends here are into metal; the other half are friends from school.
Even females? gahh you lucky, here the only time I see them come out from under the bed is when there is a good show playing, like last week carcass played two mins from me, and I was walking down the sidewalk where they all were and there were a llootttt, including quite a bit of females, which I NEVER see here EVER. haha

I do not have friends who listen to metal and are living close to me. But at least there are some metalfans in The Hague' date=' since I see one quite often.[/quote'] Yeah it sucks, really. Especially fellow females, none like my music, they look at me like they are in shock when I tell them what kind of music I like, hate that. heh, possibly were not expecting it? Who knows.

Re: meow=) or..hello from USA

Yeah it sucks' date=' really. Especially fellow females, none like my music, they look at me like they are in shock when I tell them what kind of music I like, hate that. heh, possibly were not expecting it? Who knows.[/quote'] I understand. Metal is mostly a "man-world", although on this forum there are also some females. I had the luck that I had a girlfriend who had almost the same tasts in music in me, but we broke up two months ago. But they are very rare here.

Re: meow=) or..hello from USA

I would say Blackwater Park: it's definitely their most accesible record. Otherwise' date=' you could also check out Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. But it depends also a bit on your taste. If you like indeed a more black metal sound, it's better to check out their first three albums (Orchid, Morningrise and My Armse Your Hearse).[/quote'] When exactly did Opeth ever sound like black metal? Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

haha' date=' not corny, I know that feel=P Especially when Maynard yell sings, gggaaaahhhhhh. And oh jeeze you really want me to pick a favorite album? I can not know this, but some of my favorite Tool songs would be 46&2, Push-it, Stinkfist, Prison sex, Sober (although wwaaayyy overplayed bbuuhhh), Opiate, Eulogy, Aenema, and probably parabola. heh I also RREEAAALLLYYY love that deftones song Passanger featuring Maynard, in my opinion his voice sounds best I have ever heard in that song.[/quote'] Good list. They're some of my favourites as well! I think my favourite album overall is Aenima, but I think they're all great, even 10, 000 days, which doesn't seem to get as much love for some reason. The Pot is the song that introduced me to them. And yeah, that Deftones song is incredible; that's probably the best duet ever imo. Pretty much any Deftones song is a winner for me, though. I'm a llllittle bit of a fanboy. :)

Re: meow=) or..hello from USA Well, in any case, welcome, I guess I haven't had a chance to properly greet you yet. I'm the mod here, so let me know if you have any questions or concerns. It seems like you've already been posting away, which is great, I've just been really occupied with my business and helping my in-laws move recently, so I haven't been on here as much as I like. A list of favorite bands would either be too long or too incomplete, but suffice it to say I like stuff from all across the metal spectrum (though I am fairly picky about it) and have a limited range of interest in most other genres of music. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Good list. They're some of my favourites as well! I think my favourite album overall is Aenima' date=' but I think they're all great, even 10, 000 days, which doesn't seem to get as much love for some reason. The Pot is the song that introduced me to them. And yeah, that Deftones song is incredible; that's probably the best duet ever imo. Pretty much any Deftones song is a winner for me, though. I'm a llllittle bit of a fanboy. :)[/quote'] hahaha, nothing wrong with that=P Ok, have you seen that live show of them playing passenger, with haley williams of paramore in place of maynard? I by no means like paramore, but considering who she was up against, I think she did rather well.

Well, in any case, welcome, I guess I haven't had a chance to properly greet you yet. I'm the mod here, so let me know if you have any questions or concerns. It seems like you've already been posting away, which is great, I've just been really occupied with my business and helping my in-laws move recently, so I haven't been on here as much as I like. A list of favorite bands would either be too long or too incomplete, but suffice it to say I like stuff from all across the metal spectrum (though I am fairly picky about it) and have a limited range of interest in most other genres of music. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Sounds good and no worries we all get busy=) Nice to meet you!!

hahaha' date=' nothing wrong with that=P Ok, have you seen that live show of them playing passenger, with haley williams of paramore in place of maynard? I by no means like paramore, but considering who she was up against, I think she did rather well.[/quote'] That sounds truly and utterly horrifying, but I'm intrigued. Will check that out, when I'm feeling brave enough...

• 4 weeks later...