what is your opinion on Girl drummers?

SBD

Hi, there are a few girl drummers, but not that many, why do you think that is? I can't understand it, maybe because I am a drummer and a girl (13) I play all sorts of styles, but my band is punk/metal mix, and I absolutely love it! I think the argument that girls are less able because they are smaller, weaker is not valid, because how you play is not determined by how big you are.Because I am quite small really!! ALso, if you turn up to see a band and there is a girl drummer, do you expect her to be good? Just wondering? SBD :P

I don't think the "smaller/weaker" thing is a valid argument either. Having said that, all of my favorite drummers are guys; but I haven't really gone out looking for good female drummers, either. I think you're doing a great job, and impressive drumming is impressive regardless of the gender of the person doing it. If you run into anyone who doesn't feel that way, use your playing to change their mind. As far as why there are few female drummers, there are few enough female musicians (on any instrument) in metal anyway, and most musicians of either gender aren't drummers - guitar and bass are logistically easier, cheaper, quicker to get started on, etc - so it's honestly not surprising.

ALso, if you turn up to see a band and there is a girl drummer, do you expect her to be good? Just wondering?
I don't have any expectations either way. However, I do think there is a problem with 'girl bands'. It's not the fact that they're all female - more that they use it as their sole advertising schtick. A couple of groups seem to rely mainly on the absence of phalli in their membership to sell their music, rather than their actual talent. This can happen in mixed-sex groups as well; everyone raves about Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy and Simone Pluijmers of Cerebral Bore because they're women, not because they're good. By contrast, Runhild Gammelsaeter of Thorr's Hammer actually is a good vocalist (or so I hear), but that's not the sole or even primary selling point of the band. Simone Dow of Voyager is a pretty good guitarist but the band never makes a big deal out of her sex. The same goes for bassist Roxanne Constantin of Quo Vadis and keyboardist April Sese from Suspyre. It's not impossible for women to be good metal players, but typically when they emphasize their sex as their defining characteristic in plugging their band's material, it suggests that they are compensating for something.

There are very few women in metalband because I think they're not as aggressive as guys (in general). Girls are cute and therefore we see them often play in cute bands playing cute music like gothic and such. Too bad though, because there a some girls who play great, energetic and aggressive in death metal and grindcore.

Girl drummers are quite rare. I personally don't know many and the ones I do, don't make it into my top numbers. Bit of trivia on me. I met my Fiance when I was younger at a gig, she was the drummer for one of the bands we were playing with. She was one of the only Female drummers I've actually ever came in contact with. (She is now not a drummer) No one can doubt the ability of a female drummer, or that they could play at the same standard as a Male drummer. I do believe there will be some disadvantage for a good majority of Female drummers. Metal Drumming is a stamina, power instrument. Naturally (Not all) males have got more of a powerful build,at least to start with. I'm guessing this can help? I like some of what ICine is saying. I think Females in bands can be used as gimmicks, I also think its more beneficial having a Female at the front of the stage and especially singing. I believe they may enjoy this aspect more as well. This would explain not wanting to go near the back of the stage? If I turned up to a show and there was a female drummer in another band, I'd probably imagine her being amazing. They are so rare, they can only be amazing if they are playing more seriously at a semipro/pro level. I'd most certainly be sticking around to see her. Its nice to see someone so enthusiastic and interested though. I wish you all the luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your encouraging words! I know I am not as strong as a bloke, but I am strong for my age and being a girl. A lot of drumming is down to technique too. I would like to know you would stick around to watch if me ( or any other girl) got up to play. I once overheard someone say,' she's JUST a little kid, how can she play? 'just as I was climbing up onto the stage. I will always remember that. :grin: Not that it bothered me, I do it because I love it and it is part of what makes me ,me. \m/ SBD

• 2 weeks later...

I think more women in metal is nothing but a good thing. You will always be sidelined and categorized by your gender, sadly, this is the world we live in, e.g. "she's pretty good ... for a girl" or "hey did you hear that one band... with the chick drummer?" Ignore that crap. As Iceni mentioned, it's talking point and can even become a schtick which is kind of a shame. I am sort of in his camp where I appreciate music for what it is and the appeal of the musicians, regardless of their gender. I don't have any padded appreciation for ArchEnemy because the vocals are female for example. There's no novelty in it. In fact, I don't really like that band at all. The vast majority of metal musicians tend to be male. I don't believe this has anything to do with physical strength or ability; I think it has to do with the fact that stereotypically, metal is a man's world. Even musically, it's a man's world and male musicians far outnumber female. Some put this down to socioeconomic factors (being a musician isn't very compatible with being a mother), others put this down to brain differences (where men tend to be more inclined to maths and music than women). But you know what? Don't listen to anyone's bullshit. Play your fucking heart out. Females in metal get my support if only for having the balls to stand tall in a male-dominated scene. \m/ \m/ Oh, and my gorgeous sister, who is 34, plays drums in a metal band!

It is kind of funny, Suspyre did an interview and I remember their (very good) keyboardist April Sese saying something along the lines of 'yeah, I'm not the vocalist, interestingly enough...' But that's prog for you, where talent is the medium of communication. :cool:

• 5 months later...

Hey I'm a girl drummer too and I can totally relate to this post! I think there is just as much of a minority of girl drummers as there are girls who are into this genre of music full stop! I think that is maybe because of the aggressive nature of metal/playing drums, it's not something that most girls can relate too, it's not their cup of tea, they like cute shit (although thats totally the reason I love it, loud fast heavy metal, pounding the drums, smashing those symbols I can't get enough) However I totally like to turn this into a positive. Your a rarity, You're a girl, you like bad ass music and you kick ass on the drums, be happy to be unique. Yeah you'll get some guys no doubt looking down on your drumming due to the fact that you are a female or whatever but keep a thick skin and use that as fuel to be the best you can be. I certainly do :-) \m/

That is awesome that you are a drummer JOSELLICA. I understand what you mean by the girls liking cute things, however, I am heavily into metal and wear bows in my hair everyday:D hehe. But I see what you mean, it is hard enough finding female pals into metal, let alone female metal fans who are also into semi cute things as well. heh

That is awesome that you are a drummer JOSELLICA. I understand what you mean by the girls liking cute things' date=' however, I am heavily into metal and wear bows in my hair everyday:D hehe. But I see what you mean, it is hard enough finding female pals into metal, let alone female metal fans who are also into semi cute things as well. heh[/quote'] Hey Mindy Yes of course, there is nothing wrong with being into cute things and I'm not saying girls shouldn't be like that weather they are into metal or not, but the majority of women dislike aggressive heavy music and thats fine, each to their own taste, drums are also seen as quite a masculine instrument. I agree, like you its hard to find girls that are into the same things thats why I tend to hang out with guys in all honesty. I don't mind. it's all good :-)

Thanks Ghouly! played a few shows since I posted this, at one where we had about 250 watching, we went down really well! we had lots of people coming up after to talk to us and one actually said to my Mum, hey did you know your drummer kid is a girl? ( he was pretty drunk! :D) My Mum yust laughed and said, yes. It was funny. \m/ SBD

@ Josellica,I do too, I have about 3 friend who are girls, and the rest are boys, but I don't have a BF ( urgh!) plenty of time for that stuff later!!Girls can be too superficial, with a bloke, what you see is usually what you get, a bit like my dog! (in a cool way) no fake stuff. I like that and I like to think I am like that. The only girl I really like is my sister, she is girly, but she is different, she has lots of tattoos. Oh and my mum, she is awesome too!

Hey Mindy Yes of course, there is nothing wrong with being into cute things and I'm not saying girls shouldn't be like that weather they are into metal or not, but the majority of women dislike aggressive heavy music and thats fine, each to their own taste, drums are also seen as quite a masculine instrument. I agree, like you its hard to find girls that are into the same things thats why I tend to hang out with guys in all honesty. I don't mind. it's all good :-)
I would had thought there would be plenty of female metal lovers in UK. Hmm...well that sucks. May I ask what part of UK you live in miss??

I would had thought there would be plenty of female metal lovers in UK. Hmm...well that sucks. May I ask what part of UK you live in miss??
We do have them over here in the UK of course but I live in Staffordshire and in all honesty the local metal scene is thin so maybe that is why I haven't come across any where I live/in my circle of friends. In fact I do not have one female friend who's into metal and especially not into drumming! There are plenty of indie chicks here that like watching bands but they think Kasabian are heavy and they would most probably think Pantera is some sort of Italian dish ha ha!

• 4 months later...
Metal needs more girls in general, to avoid becoming a sexist genre , like it was in the eighties (just watch a Manowar gig for proof). If someone is a talented drummer/guitarist/bass player/singer etc. then it shouldn't matter what genitals they happen to have been born with.
It's true that sex doesn't matter when it comes to music, but I wouldn't say 'a music genre needs more...'. The only things music needs to not be judgmental or listeners/players/people who judge who are less biased.

• 4 years later...

Whether you're a girl or a guy. If you love playing drums, play them and be the best drummer you can be. Practice, practice, practice. Practice builds muscle memory and then it becomes second nature. It takes time, dedication and work. Millions of people would love to be good at an instrument but aren't willing to put in the effort and the time it takes to get good. Since you love it, its not really work anyway. It's a journey. Your journey. Never let anyone discourage you and always do your best for yourself. Happy Drumming and best of luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I think that women just don't like to play drums. The only female drummer I can think of is Mercedes Lander from Kittie, which was one of my favorite Nu-Metal bands as a kid before I really knew what metal actually was. I was one of the teenage boys who had Kittie photos all over his wall in the 9th grade and I had a massive crush on a girl at school who looked almost exactly like Morgan... that was not reciprocated until after high school when we had a pretty fun fling for a month.