What do you usually do while listening to music?

Recovery

This might sound weird, but unless I have to work creatively or read, then I love listening to music! I do not know why but if I try listening to music while drawing or reading then my brain just short cuts!!!! Listening to music prior to this is however almost a must. But I just cannot be in the realm of Elfquest and in Asgaard at the same time!!!!!

I also like to listen to music while doing chores, traveling, etc.

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

This might sound weird, but unless I have to work creatively or read, then I love listening to music! I do not know why but if I try listening to music while drawing or reading then my brain just short cuts!!!! Listening to music prior to this is however almost a must. But I just cannot be in the realm of Elfquest and in Asgaard at the same time!!!!!

I get this. I find that if I try to listen to music while studying or doing an assignment I get way too distracted. Weirdly enough though, I find that listening to something like a podcast or talk radio does not have the same effect.

Mostly these days it's in the car while on my 40-45 minute commute each way. The days of listening to metal once I get home are on hold due to the raising of eternally thirsty vampire children. Occasionally I'll listen to music in the evening once they've gone to bed but often I can't be bothered. I'm actually really glad I have this drive each day because I get through a hell of a lot more music than I would if I worked next door. 

Even now, in the early morning (for a Saturday!) the vampiria infanta are watching t.v so rather than plug earphones in I tend to watch/hang out with them because I'm such a great dad. 

On 8/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, Requiem said:

Mostly these days it's in the car while on my 40-45 minute commute each way. The days of listening to metal once I get home are on hold due to the raising of eternally thirsty vampire children. Occasionally I'll listen to music in the evening once they've gone to bed but often I can't be bothered. I'm actually really glad I have this drive each day because I get through a hell of a lot more music than I would if I worked next door. 

Even now, in the early morning (for a Saturday!) the vampiria infanta are watching t.v so rather than plug earphones in I tend to watch/hang out with them because I'm such a great dad. 

This is me 100%.

• 3 years later...
I used to think that I was special, that I was a music lover. But over time, communicating with other people, I realized that I am the same as many others. That my tastes are multifaceted. I love classics, but I also love post-hardcore. I love techno, but I also love rap. And each music belongs to a different activity. On a run, I can listen to Eminem and Drake. While working outside (cut a lawn with a husqvarna trimmer) I can listen to ARTBAT and Fatboy Slim. Sitting on the porch of my house and drinking beer, I can listen to Tchaikovsky. And I realized that this is normal for me.

Do you have the same tastes or do you only listen to one kind of music?

But right now I'm working and listening to Fatboy Slim in Brighton (I think it is the best set)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AvC05kXS9I

• 2 months later...

What I'm doing has a pretty big impact on what I wind up listening to. When I'm home with my son I usually pick something on the mellower and more palatable side for his sake - maybe it's prog rock or fusion, maybe it's classical, maybe it's Queens Of The Stone Age or something. My car gets a lot of wind and road noise and the speakers aren't great, so I need something with clean production and a decent amount of melody to cut through - Katatonia, 80s Rush, newer Akercocke, Nordic folk music. When I'm painting I usually listen to a lot of black metal and I try to use that time for under-loved albums or music I haven't heard yet. Cleaning and other chores are great for death metal on headphones. Exercising is podcast time. And finally, most enjoyably, my walks in the woods are where I try to really soak in new favorites or spend time with music that needs close listening.

Interesting read. I, also listen to a lot of music in the car, but tend to listen to CDs most of the time. That's problematic as more of my music is Bandcamp. I'll sometimes save to a flash drive but often just grab CD's....ancient I know. I'm guessing a lot of you stream while you drive. 

I also listen to metal on an Ipod if working out or exercising and sometimes on a music player. I use Sonos speakers also and during the pandemic working from home listen during the day more-but that's more classical, jazz and non metal in general. I don't tend to listen to metal while I'm working-I need something more laid back. Metal is more of my "up" music. I've got a little Sonos speaker in in my basement and often listen to metal, punk and rock on a treadmill, strength training or doing laundry.

13 minutes ago, markm said:

Interesting read. I, also listen to a lot of music in the car, but tend to listen to CDs most of the time. That's problematic as more of my music is Bandcamp. I'll sometimes save to a flash drive but often just grab CD's....ancient I know. I'm guessing a lot of you stream while you drive. 

I would love to bring CDs in the car, but what's left of my collection is way in the back of my closet. I just don't have anywhere else to put them right now. I'm pretty much making Bandcamp digital purchases only these days, unless I really want something that's not on there. I only stream on YouTube or Bandcamp to check new stuff out at home, when I'm out of the house I play mp3s off my phone.

6 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I would love to bring CDs in the car, but what's left of my collection is way in the back of my closet. I just don't have anywhere else to put them right now. I'm pretty much making Bandcamp digital purchases only these days, unless I really want something that's not on there. I only stream on YouTube or Bandcamp to check new stuff out at home, when I'm out of the house I play mp3s off my phone.

I hate the way Bandcamp sounds streaming in my car at least-sound quality blows even compared to Spotify. I'll listen to Spotify sometimes but the service gets interrupted in some of the rural areas I have to drive. I need to save an MP3 quality Bandcamp copy on a flashdrive, but frankly I'm usually too lazy to take the time. 

Honest question, is it possible to plug a thumb drive into your car's USB to play music?? I assume this would require a proper touch screen interface and a media player built into the cars interface. Certainly seems straight forward enough, but no idea if thats where we are at. My car is not that sophisticated, but oh how far we have come. Yes, I remember 8 track players.

7 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Honest question, is it possible to plug a thumb drive into your car's USB to play music?? I assume this would require a proper touch screen interface and a media player built into the cars interface. Certainly seems straight forward enough, but no idea if thats where we are at. My car is not that sophisticated, but oh how far we have come. Yes, I remember 8 track players.

My drummer's old car could play music off a thumb drive. I wish mine could, I don't mind the aux cable thing but it's less convenient with my new headphone-jack-less phone. I think the USB drive music player is a thing of the past now, we're supposed to integrate everything wirelessly with automobile apps optimized for a carefree user experience. Whoopty doo.

I grew up with cassettes. I have a "love/hate" relationship with them, but the "love" part is very small. I remember 8-tracks as things that would sit in corners collecting dust, but I never had the opportunity to use one to listen to any music.

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

balor out of interest what styles do you paint.   also is your logo a drawing you did. its cool if it was. 

I used to paint miniatures and model kits actually!  (I have no ability to draw.)  I wish that my profile picture was my own work, but it is actually the cover of the reissue of Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes' second demo:

R-12933913-1545044163-1203.jpeg.jpg

Great music too:

On topic, I currently either work out or read a magazine while listening to music.

Nowadays listening to music isn't always a constant like it was a few years back.  As I get older my attention span is shrinking and so often when I am working from home I will have silence as my focus on work (often involving multiple meetings per day on Teams/Zoom) distracts me away from the music anyway. During lockdown - and me spending more hours at my desk when usually I would be on the road most days - I got to trying to understand the environment that I had when I was most focussed on music and how I could perhaps capture some of the dwindling desire to listen to music as much. 

Essentially I recreated my old set up from when I lived at home 25 years ago of a vinyl player, cd and speakers in one corner of my office.  At the start of each day I would sit in front of the gear and just listen to an album to start the day - no mobile phones, tablets or screens in immediate eyeline and so no distractions to take my focus off music.  Yes, the work mobile would ring sometimes as that's on virtually 24/7 anyways but in the main it just gave me the headspace to reconnect with what has been a passion of mine for most of my life.  I'd try to repeat at the end of each day also to kind of formally close off my working day and usher in the evening.

When I get back out on the road it will be digital formats (no CD player in these modern cars nowadays) via my phone with some drives being 7 or 8 hours when I am visiting clients up in the Highlands and North East of Scotland.  Good news is that I have my music apps on my work phone so I am eating data on the company mobile plan only.

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

When I get back out on the road it will be digital formats (no CD player in these modern cars nowadays) via my phone with some drives being 7 or 8 hours when I am visiting clients up in the Highlands and North East of Scotland.  Good news is that I have my music apps on my work phone so I am eating data on the company mobile plan only.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

Also, Scotland is fucking beautiful. The highlands remind me a lot of the Swedish mountain world. Same type of vegetation and climate too.