What do you usually do while listening to music?

Recovery

10 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

Permanent damage can be done without ear plugs, I've had bad tinnitus ever since my first metal gig (Pantera, Far Beyond Driven show in Auckland). Everyone had their hands over their ears.

That is a really good tip for a young player. I always wear thick silicon ear plugs at gigs.

You got extremely unlucky to have your hearing ruined at your first gig. Really sorry to hear that. I have a friend who had the same experience (like, permanent tinnitus).

I got a scare a few months ago but it turned out to be massive wax build up. Was so relieved when the guy vacuumed out a bucketful of black slimy wax.

Just say yes to plugs.

13 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

I'm allowed to be on (certain) social media platforms, and I even use discord (although she's limiting my use of it during the school year where she put the time limit on the app for 5 minutes a day, which I can barely get through a conversation with. So I just don't use it during the school year -- I don't know my screen time password, and even if I did, she'd still be able to see my screen time if I use discord). I can use Instagram and TikTok (which I've grown to despise, so I'm barely even on anyways), but not Snapchat or Twitter. She allows me to use Reddit, Quora, and these forums though. 

I do find it odd she does allow that though, but she won't let me go to a metal concert. 

I barely know what any of those are. I mean, I've heard of some of the names and even have a Twitter account, but its utility is a mystery to me.

I never banned my kids from big concerts, I didn't need to they were too far away. The kids occasionally asked if they could go to one but when presented with how much it would cost them they decided they didn't need to rush. We had a few local gigs they went and saw, nothing flashy, nothing metal but they were enough to keep my kids satisfied. Until they were able to drive I went to most with them, after about the age of 14 I didn't make them stay with me but for the most part I was there and they knew where to find me.

We also restricted the kids time screen time when they were in their senior school levels (the last 3-4 years). I never had a need for special password or anything like that because I restricted the kids computers and phones via the router. Of course we were met with some arguments from time to time and I really don't know if it made them better or worse kids but it was a decision we made as parents and we stuck to. I don't blame any parents for putting some restrictions in place.

11 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

We also restricted the kids time screen time when they were in their senior school levels (the last 3-4 years). I never had a need for special password or anything like that because I restricted the kids computers and phones via the router. Of course we were met with some arguments from time to time and I really don't know if it made them better or worse kids but it was a decision we made as parents and we stuck to. I don't blame any parents for putting some restrictions in place.

"That bloody phone!" is probably the biggest single source of arguments and tension in our house. At the moment it is easy to say "snapchat and facebook terms and conditions state a user must be thirteen or over, so it is illegal for you to have those apps. You could go to prison." 

But now its less than six months to the big 13, we have to come up with a new deterrent. Alas, it is a losing battle.

Frankly, adults are as bad or worse than kids for screen time. The bigger issue is the poison that is social media generally. Trying to equip a child with tools to handle the modern world at a time when they want to be rebellious is a tall order.

22 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Frankly, adults are as bad or worse than kids for screen time. The bigger issue is the poison that is social media generally. Trying to equip a child with tools to handle the modern world at a time when they want to be rebellious is a tall order.well logically kids should experience more freedom as they get older, I can’t say that was my experience though aside from the three years of bliss I enjoyed when

Social media? Toxic? Why whatever could you be talking about isn’t it perfectly normal for someone to tell you go drink bleach because you disagree with their terrible opinion? For people sufficiently in raged by your online presence to try and identify where you live based on context clues you don’t even know are there? For said people to then try and trick law enforcement into busting down your door? That doesn’t sound toxic at all… Seriously fuck Twitter. 

My kids had FB before they were of age but we had their passwords and they were required to keep their mother as a friend. But our kids also hate FB so it really wasn't a huge issue. Even Twitter etc weren't huge in our house. They were used but they weren't abused. The main thing we had to restrict was Youtube, our eldest used to go to sleep with YT on her phone just running a playlist.

I agree with the idea that adults are worse, especially around the fucking dinner table!

19 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

My first gig was Anthrax at 16. I caught the train into the city with my best mate. In fact the other day was the 32nd anniversary of that night. 

While old, my love of metal has not diminished in the slightest.

Wait, you're 48? I thought you were younger than me (below 40)?

4 minutes ago, Sheol said:

Wait, you're 48? I thought you were younger than me (below 40)?

Tick tock.

Lamentably, my beard is 48. The rest of me is in condition of sub-40. In fact, I took a test on one of those machines at the gym that can predict your past, present and future just by standing barefoot on a platform and holding some electrodes and it said I was 29. 

Clean living my friend and apparently an ability to write on a forum in a style of someone at least ten years younger. There is obviously youth in my prose.

Some people say "I don't wanna live forever so I am gonna eat and drink as much shit as I want" not realising that, unless they get lucky and actually die of a heart attack (and hence escape being a drain on their family and health service), it is the last ten years of their life that is gonna suck with illness and self-pity, no matter when that ten years is taken from. 

Not that it matters much, given impending societal collapse.

Which reminds me, where is Dead1? 

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Tick tock.

Not that it matters much, given impending societal collapse.

Which reminds me, where is Deadovic?

He mentioned something about planning a family holiday to Cairns or somewhere up that way. Didn't say when they were going but I've been assuming that's where he's been since he stopped posting last week. It is 20° warmer up there (70° vs 50° in Farenheight, 22° vs 11° in Celcius) so seems like now might be a good time for them to get away.

We've been lingering in heat wave mode here lately in Jersey at the tail end of the summer with the kids going back to schoool next week. (and not a moment too soon!) 70° sounds pretty attractive to me right now too. Be nice to get in one last little holiday to eat and drink as much shit as I want before returning home to be greeted by complete societal collapse. I just hope it comes before the kid turns 12 and I'll have to get him a cell phone (is 12 mandatory cell phone age now? I honestly don't even know, we had a wall phone with a curly cord when I was in school) and a Twitter account. 

18 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Oh, I wasn't questioning her...believe me, I understand what it means to have a protective mother. I was just curious what her actual concerns were regarding you getting hurt. Like, was she worried about you getting knocked around in the pit, or afraid you'd get caught between a couple of meat heads throwing punches? Mosh pits are easy to avoid...just don't stand center stage, near the front 1/3 of the venue. Fights and other types of violence are pretty rare, and typically only happen at festivals when people have been drinking all day or in a club where the security sucks and some dipshit doesn't know how to hold his liquor.

If you think your mom would be receptive at all...make your case for either an area show with seating, because those aren't going to be any more dangerous than going to your average NFL game (probably even less) or try to research the venue and it's location. Most all-ages shows are going to be in pretty safe locations where the venues are going to shut shit down before it gets out of hand. If nothing else, they're going to make it as safe as possible to protect themselves from any kind of liability. A big name touring festival might be another possibility

...and Sardonicist is absolutely on the nose about ear plugs. You could probably skip them at an arena show (though take them just in case). Anything else like a festival or a club...bring a pair and bring some backups as well

Probably being knocked around, in general. I never really planned to go to mosh pits anyway, but even then, my mom wasn't sure whether I'd still get knocked around or get hurt even outside of the mosh pit. 

My mom and I never really go to sports games or anything, especially me -- I'm not very athletic. But from what I've heard from others who've been to games and stuff, I could probably see it won't be more dangerous than those. 

Yeah, I do plan to bring some ear plugs for sure haha

8 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I barely know what any of those are. I mean, I've heard of some of the names and even have a Twitter account, but its utility is a mystery to me.

They're just standard social media platforms pretty much (almost) every teenager at my school has... I don't really use social media much anyway, there's really nothing interesting on there anymore. I just follow bands on Instagram and stuff to see any updates and stuff, check for new releases and stuff. I'll even check tours and stuff, just to see what's going on there. I like being updated about that stuff, but otherwise, I don't really go on those apps very often cause they're not of my interest. Especially TikTok. I don't even know why I have the app, it's pointless. 

27 minutes ago, VixenRaves said:

Probably being knocked around, in general. I never really planned to go to mosh pits anyway, but even then, my mom wasn't sure whether I'd still get knocked around or get hurt even outside of the mosh pit. 

My mom and I never really go to sports games or anything, especially me -- I'm not very athletic. But from what I've heard from others who've been to games and stuff, I could probably see it won't be more dangerous than those. 

Yeah, I do plan to bring some ear plugs for sure haha

The only other thing I'd add is that when you do finally get you chance, depending on what kind of venue you're at, don't be afraid to kind of worm and squeeze your way through the crowd to get a spot you like....especially if your shorter. Don't be rude or anything like that, but if it's a big, standing room only kind of crowd, you do kind of need to take the initiative when it comes to finding a spot

6 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

The only other thing I'd add is that when you do finally get you chance, depending on what kind of venue you're at, don't be afraid to kind of worm and squeeze your way through the crowd to get a spot you like....especially if your shorter. Don't be rude or anything like that, but if it's a big, standing room only kind of crowd, you do kind of need to take the initiative when it comes to finding a spot

I'll keep that in mind. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:36 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

We've been lingering in heat wave mode here lately in Jersey at the tail end of the summer with the kids going back to schoool next week. (and not a moment too soon!) 70° sounds pretty attractive to me right now too. Be nice to get in one last little holiday to eat and drink as much shit as I want before returning home to be greeted by complete societal collapse. I just hope it comes before the kid turns 12 and I'll have to get him a cell phone (is 12 mandatory cell phone age now? I honestly don't even know, we had a wall phone with a curly cord when I was in school) and a Twitter account. 

School starts next week here too. Although I have been on my own for three weeks because I had a new job to start, while the family was away (arrive back today), so I don't have the "not a moment too soon" feelings. 

About 12 does seem to be cell phone age. They'll have gadgets before that, but an actual phone number of their own....we could only hold out until 12. In fact, it was quite logical because she started taking a school bus.

You should be quite well placed for societal collapse being an ex-trucker. You can go on the road, stealing gas from townsfolk you murder and eating roadkill. Teaching the lad how to survive (unfortunately you will need to ally with some MAGA survivalists for a short time to pick up ammo), until he hits about 20 and he can eat you before you get too old and gamey. It's the circle of life. 

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

School starts next week here too. Although I have been on my own for three weeks because I had a new job to start, while the family was away (arrive back today), so I don't have the "not a moment too soon" feelings. 

About 12 does seem to be cell phone age. They'll have gadgets before that, but an actual phone number of their own....we could only hold out until 12. In fact, it was quite logical because she started taking a school bus.

You should be quite well placed for societal collapse being an ex-trucker. You can go on the road, stealing gas from townsfolk you murder and eating roadkill. Teaching the lad how to survive (unfortunately you will need to ally with some MAGA survivalists for a short time to pick up ammo), until he hits about 20 and he can eat you before you get too old and gamey. It's the circle of life. 

Ah Jon you give me far too much credit. Being an ex-trucker in no way positions me to be the dude who peels the skin from and eviscerates my own game like some kind of twisted Cannibal Corpse nightmare I can't wake up from. I'm also an ex-hairdresser from the 80's before I became a trucker you know so maybe I could dye the road kill's fur blonde or something? Give its fur a trim maybe but I'm not sure how that'd help us survive. Also that thing they do in the movies where they stick a hose into the vehicle's gas tank and suck on it to start siphoning, ending up with a mouthful of gas? Uh no thanks, not doing that. And ammo is already hard to come by now, I imagine after the collapse it'd be a rapidly dwindling resource even for preppers. Probably be better to learn the art of knife fighting or throwning axes or just something that needs sharpening, not ammo. 

The irony here is that "post-apocalyptic" is unquestionably my absolute favorite genre of fiction or film, I fucking love and am fascinated by stories about what happens after the collapse of society as we know it. I also enjoy prison movies, gangster flicks and seafaring tales but that's not really relevant here. Having already reached the point of being too old and gamey by my estimation I'm not gonna make a good food source. I've read that book The Road by Cormac McCarthy where he and the little boy have to fend for themselves after societal collapse, and knowing how the story ends I'd probably opt out and just eat a bullet or something. Use up my last half tank of gas and run my car into a big old tree. I'll be happy to let you young dudes fight it out.

17 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm also an ex-hairdresser from the 80's before I became a trucker...

Now, that is a new tidbit of info from the hishhhhhhtory of a Goatmaster.  Thanks for sharing.

Post-apocalyptic as a film genre has a few gems. Just depends if the characters are engaging I guess.  Climate collapse is a bit of a thing now, but for years film makers tried to find any excuse to end society than the one which is most likely going to happen, although first you'll probably have Civil War II: The Bigly Libtard Revengening.

Actually Civil War II would make a good Netflix series. 

16 hours ago, helvete said:

Or I read pagan stories.

Like what?...I'm always up for some good myths and legends. I remember finding my dads old copy of greek myths that he'd had from some college course, and I read that thing until it fell apart. Even found a copy of it a bunch of years later at a used book store and bought it again.

5 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Like what?...I'm always up for some good myths and legends. I remember finding my dads old copy of greek myths that he'd had from some college course, and I read that thing until it fell apart. Even found a copy of it a bunch of years later at a used book store and bought it again.

I bought a book at the time. its name is 9 realms. This book contains stories from Scandinavian mythology and tells little stories. I read it while listening to pagan metal.

Just now, helvete said:

I bought a book at the time. its name is 9 realms. This book contains stories from Scandinavian mythology and tells little stories. I read it while listening to pagan metal.

5 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

https://www.amazon.com.tr/Nine-Worlds-Magnus-Chase-Asgard/dp/1368024041

11 hours ago, helvete said:

Okay, I recognize that author...that's the Percy Jackson guy.

Have you ever looked into books like this before?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Nlde7AiPL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Out of pure dumb luck, I found a book like this at the library when I was a kid...this was before Norse mythology and vikings were everywhere...so it was the first time I'd ever heard a bunch of these stories. If you ever get the chance to read a good one that translates the stories into an easier to read format than the poetic or prose edda (where we get most of the stories we know about Norse myths), I'd definitely recommend it.