What do you usually do while listening to music?

Recovery

I study for tests or quizzes, or even while just doing homework or classwork

I help around the house with chores

I walk my dog outside in the afternoon

I read books

I might listen to music when I'm in the shower.

I listen to music in the kitchen when I'm cooking up something.

I listen to music in the car, on the way to and from school.

I listen to music when I just sit down and relax after a long day

Sometimes I'll journal thoughts or ideas

Headbang

Surf the web

Create some art

I'll listen to music before I go to sleep...

Or I'll just listen to music just to enjoy it!

I pretty much listen to music pretty much almost 24/7 (that's a bit exaggerated, but I'm almost always listening to music when I'm not talking to friends in person).

2 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

I study for tests or quizzes, or even while just doing homework or classwork

I help around the house with chores

I walk my dog outside in the afternoon

I read books

I might listen to music when I'm in the shower.

I listen to music in the kitchen when I'm cooking up something.

I listen to music in the car, on the way to and from school.

I listen to music when I just sit down and relax after a long day

Sometimes I'll journal thoughts or ideas

Headbang

Surf the web

Create some art

I'll listen to music before I go to sleep...

Or I'll just listen to music just to enjoy it!

I pretty much listen to music pretty much almost 24/7 (that's a bit exaggerated, but I'm almost always listening to music when I'm not talking to friends in person).

Good list you got there vixen raves. I most like listening to some really motivational metal on the way home from work. Genre of metal I play  varies depending on how tired I am but puts a spring in my boots to get home efficiently. 

You headbang. Cool. I don't do that anymore because I'm just old and I've got enough injuries without adding to the list😁out of interest what's you favourite genre of music to headbang to. 

17 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

You headbang. Cool. I don't do that anymore because I'm just old and I've got enough injuries without adding to the list😁out of interest what's you favourite genre of music to headbang to. 

I guess it varies on the different songs I listen to, but mainly I'll headbang to thrash (80s/90s thrash, since my knowledge of thrash kind of ends there) or metalcore. Those are typically the main genres I listen to most of the time, and occasionally, when I listen to nu-metal, I may headbang here and there. 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, VixenRaves said:

I guess it varies on the different songs I listen to, but mainly I'll headbang to thrash (80s/90s thrash, since my knowledge of thrash kind of ends there) or metalcore. Those are typically the main genres I listen to most of the time, and occasionally, when I listen to nu-metal, I may headbang here and there. 

Good to hear from you vixenr. Always good to talk bands😃. Which are your favourite thrash bands? Id say early mettalica and acid reign are my favourite. 

Nu metal. I used to listen to this genre when I was younger. Not much these days. Korn, limp bizkit, deftones. Last two I enjoyed live👻 Which nu metal bands do you like?

Your so lucky you can listen to music in the shower. I used to do this but my son moans so much. Then my mum moaned even more. Then my wife even more. So I stopped 🫣

17 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Good to hear from you vixenr. Always good to talk bands😃. Which are your favourite thrash bands? Id say early mettalica and acid reign are my favourite. 

Nu metal. I used to listen to this genre when I was younger. Not much these days. Korn, limp bizkit, deftones. Last two I enjoyed live👻 Which nu metal bands do you like?

Your so lucky you can listen to music in the shower. I used to do this but my son moans so much. Then my mum moaned even more. Then my wife even more. So I stopped 🫣

I have to say early Metallica, for sure. Metallica pretty much was the gateway metal band for me, so I tend to always come back to them as a favorite. Acid Reign is pretty cool too. If Slayer also counts as thrash, I'd say they're a pretty cool band. Kreator -- if they count as thrash too, is a pretty sick band I'm a fan of. 

Does Overkill count too?

KoRn is probably my favorite nu-metal band, and is also one of the first metal bands I got into (other than Metallica, Slipknot, and System of a Down). Deftones is also a pretty cool band, and I do enjoy some of Disturbed's music (not all of it, but there's a good amount from them I like). I also enjoy listening to Mudvayne and Incubus too. I don't think I really got into Limp Bizkit, all though I enjoy a few of their songs, but it's just one or two songs here and there. 

Lol I always listen to music in the shower now. I don't really have to worry about others hearing it as much since my room is in the basement level of the house, and my parents' room is on the 3rd floor. So, somehow, they don't really hear my music coming from my room, though sometimes they ask about the demons coming from my bathroom when I attempt to scream along to other bands (I admit, horribly), or attempt to do those Jonathan Davis growls in the bathroom. So I try to keep that to a minimum until there's really no one in the house. Even if they do hear it, they don't always seem to mind as long as the music isn't too loud. So when I'm not listening in the shower, I'm always listening to metal music with headphones on (when I can). 😂

And even then, I've still never had the chance to go to a metal concert yet. My parents worry I'll get hurt at one, which I understand that they care about that, so I've never been able to go. But hopefully I'll be able to experience one at some point.

19 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

And even then, I've still never had the chance to go to a metal concert yet. My parents worry I'll get hurt at one, which I understand that they care about that, so I've never been able to go. But hopefully I'll be able to experience one at some point.

It's a cliche, but metal concerts are generally quite safe, often more so than pop, EDM and rap gigs. Less inconsiderate douchbags (unless you go to dingy black metal gigs in basements, then YMMV haha). If someone falls, you always get picked up, you absolutely don't have to mosh or headbang or be in the pit, it's cool to just hang out in the back or sides. If you go up front you might get someone falling into you or such but it's almost never with intent or maliciousness. If you feel comfortable, take the chance, it's a truly lifechanging experience to scream along with hundreds of metal fans to your favourite music.

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

It's a cliche, but metal concerts are generally quite safe, often more so than pop, EDM and rap gigs. Less inconsiderate douchbags (unless you go to dingy black metal gigs in basements, then YMMV haha). If someone falls, you always get picked up, you absolutely don't have to mosh or headbang or be in the pit, it's cool to just hang out in the back or sides. If you go up front you might get someone falling into you or such but it's almost never with intent or maliciousness. If you feel comfortable, take the chance, it's a truly lifechanging experience to scream along with hundreds of metal fans to your favourite music.

I would love to go to a concert, but it might take a lot of convincing on my mom's behalf. I think my dad might allow it though, but I can't guarantee it. He likes Metallica, but I don't know if he'd take me to see like a Lorna Shore concert or Slipknot. Though, when I move out of the house and have the ability to make my own decisions, I will most likely go to a metal concert, if not more if I come to enjoy it (which I probably will). I've been to a pop concert because my mom likes Bruno Mars, but it wasn't my thing. I don't plan to go into mosh pits in the first time around (I doubt I will in general), and I definitely won't make the decision to those dingy black metal gigs LOL

But I definitely plan to in the future. It's my last year in high school anyway, I'm almost 18 (in less than a month). So soon enough, probably. My parents will have to give some freedom at some point.

As someone with some experience with both the big name, sold out arena type bands [Black Sabbath reign supreme in that regard while Metallica was probably the show I least enjoyed], and the dingy extreme metal side of things which was more fun even if I only kept to the fringe of the pit I say go for it if you get the chance. Hell at the obituary show someone even gave me earplugs because I had forgotten mine… Handy pointer if you’re going to be close to the stage earplugs are absolutely essential metal shows are loud, especially if the sound guy has no idea how to mix things properly. 

1 hour ago, VixenRaves said:

But I definitely plan to in the future. It's my last year in high school anyway, I'm almost 18 (in less than a month). So soon enough, probably. My parents will have to give some freedom at some point.

It's hard for parents to let go, but inevitable. My daughter is 12 so I have a bit of time. And if anything I'd be the one pushing against her will to go to a metal gig. She'd be screaming "daddy, noooo!!"  She's a real prude and would be complaining about the commoners with their tattoos and beer bellies.

Maybe next time Babymetal comes to town....

My first gig was Anthrax at 16. I caught the train into the city with my best mate. In fact the other day was the 32nd anniversary of that night. 

While old, my love of metal has not diminished in the slightest.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

It's hard for parents to let go, but inevitable. My daughter is 12 so I have a bit of time. And if anything I'd be the one pushing against her will to go to a metal gig. She'd be screaming "daddy, noooo!!"  She's a real prude and would be complaining about the commoners with their tattoos and beer bellies.

Maybe next time Babymetal comes to town....

My first gig was Anthrax at 16. I caught the train into the city with my best mate. In fact the other day was the 32nd anniversary of that night. 

While old, my love of metal has not diminished in the slightest.

I understand it's hard for parents to let go, though it will be nice to have independence. Of course that doesn't affect my view of my parents (the fact that I'm not allowed to go to a metal concert yet), I still love them (of course). And it doesn't affect my interest in metal. 

That's a pretty cool gig! Bet that was a memorable experience.

3 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

I would love to go to a concert, but it might take a lot of convincing on my mom's behalf. I think my dad might allow it though, but I can't guarantee it. He likes Metallica, but I don't know if he'd take me to see like a Lorna Shore concert or Slipknot. Though, when I move out of the house and have the ability to make my own decisions, I will most likely go to a metal concert, if not more if I come to enjoy it (which I probably will). I've been to a pop concert because my mom likes Bruno Mars, but it wasn't my thing. I don't plan to go into mosh pits in the first time around (I doubt I will in general), and I definitely won't make the decision to those dingy black metal gigs LOL

I can't speak to Lorna Shore,as I'm only vaguely aware of them beyond the name, but Slipknot is big enough now that, outside of one of their festivals or something, you're most likely only going to encounter them at an arena show (way back in my Nu-metal days, I saw most of those bands in area settings). That means barriers, seating, etc. Not sure exactly what your mom's specific concerns are regarding you getting hurt, but that shouldn't be any more dangerous than your typical pop show. If they even allow any kind of moshing at all (unlikely), it's going to be down on the floor. You don't have to purchase tickets for that area unless you want.

In truth though, Sheol and Relentless are right, metal shows are nothing to worry about...even the "dingy black metal ones" (those are usually more dangerous getting TO the venue than being INSIDE of it). Think the real issue you may run into is finding others who share your tastes and want to go. Shows are fun, regardless, but they're a hell of a lot more enjoyable with someone else.

9 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

In truth though, Sheol and Relentless are right, metal shows are nothing to worry about...even the "dingy black metal ones" (those are usually more dangerous getting TO the venue than being INSIDE of it). Think the real issue you may run into is finding others who share your tastes and want to go. Shows are fun, regardless, but they're a hell of a lot more enjoyable with someone else.

That is it right there, you do need a buddy to go with when you're first getting into it and to share the experience. And a dutiful parent to pick you up afterwards. I would never have gone to that Anthrax gig by myself. I started going to gigs solo ten years later when I lived in London and there was something on practically every other night. No one I knew had the appetite to go to that many shows.  I used to run there and back to save on tube fare. 

1 hour ago, VixenRaves said:

I understand it's hard for parents to let go, though it will be nice to have independence. Of course that doesn't affect my view of my parents (the fact that I'm not allowed to go to a metal concert yet), I still love them (of course). And it doesn't affect my interest in metal. 

That's a pretty cool gig! Bet that was a memorable experience.

It dawned on me that talking to a bunch of randos on a metal forum and social media generally is far more perilous than going to a gig. However, I am not sure how you frame that argument to over-protective parents. You'd just get your phone taken away.

I don't remember much from 30 years ago but I do remember that Anthrax gig. It was at an old town hall and we had seats in the balcony. Which was lucky because there were massive fights in the pit that we could get a great view of while the band played. Probably the one and only time that ever happened on that scale in all the hundreds of gigs I've been to.  And it still didn't put me off. At 18 I drove the length of the country to see Metallica.

3 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I can't speak to Lorna Shore,as I'm only vaguely aware of them beyond the name, but Slipknot is big enough now that, outside of one of their festivals or something, you're most likely only going to encounter them at an arena show (way back in my Nu-metal days, I saw most of those bands in area settings). That means barriers, seating, etc. Not sure exactly what your mom's specific concerns are regarding you getting hurt, but that shouldn't be any more dangerous than your typical pop show. If they even allow any kind of moshing at all (unlikely), it's going to be down on the floor. You don't have to purchase tickets for that area unless you want.

She's just looking out for me, if anything. I understand her concerns, especially since there's the stereotypes around a metal concert, but she's never been to one either. She doesn't mind that I listen to this kind of music, she's just not that pleased when I ask to go to metal concerts cause she's just concerned that I may get injured or something. I'm not the strongest person ever, I'm essentially a twig who often gets teased about that, since I don't have much muscle. I've had friends who'd tease me for it, but I don't think much of it, but they're also not entirely wrong I probably wouldn't even win a fight against anyone (not that I plan to get into fights at concerts anyways,). 

Though, that doesn't stop me from wanting to go to a metal concert, so it's definitely on my bucket list for the future.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It dawned on me that talking to a bunch of randos on a metal forum and social media generally is far more perilous than going to a gig. However, I am not sure how you frame that argument to over-protective parents. You'd just get your phone taken away.

My mom is definitely protective of me, but I wouldn't say she's too over-protective by any means. I'm allowed to be on (certain) social media platforms, and I even use discord (although she's limiting my use of it during the school year where she put the time limit on the app for 5 minutes a day, which I can barely get through a conversation with. So I just don't use it during the school year -- I don't know my screen time password, and even if I did, she'd still be able to see my screen time if I use discord). I can use Instagram and TikTok (which I've grown to despise, so I'm barely even on anyways), but not Snapchat or Twitter. She allows me to use Reddit, Quora, and these forums though. 

I do find it odd she does allow that though, but she won't let me go to a metal concert. 

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

That is it right there, you do need a buddy to go with when you're first getting into it and to share the experience. And a dutiful parent to pick you up afterwards. I would never have gone to that Anthrax gig by myself. I started going to gigs solo ten years later when I lived in London and there was something on practically every other night. No one I knew had the appetite to go to that many shows.  I used to run there and back to save on tube fare. 

I do agree with that, I don't plan to go alone. I could probably think of one or two people that would be interested in going with me, so something might be able to come from that, at least. My mom normally takes me to and from places, since I don't have my driver's license yet (working on that though), but considering she won't take me to a metal concert, I doubt I'd be able to convince her. She won't sit through one either, so I wouldn't be able to go to one with her, so I'll look towards my other options. Even if I had my license, I'd still probably wait until a certain point in time until I drive myself (and a friend or two) to one of those concerts, especially if they end up downtown (full of aggressive drivers there where I live). 

4 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

She's just looking out for me, if anything. I understand her concerns, especially since there's the stereotypes around a metal concert, but she's never been to one either. She doesn't mind that I listen to this kind of music, she's just not that pleased when I ask to go to metal concerts cause she's just concerned that I may get injured or something. I'm not the strongest person ever, I'm essentially a twig who often gets teased about that, since I don't have much muscle. I've had friends who'd tease me for it, but I don't think much of it, but they're also not entirely wrong I probably wouldn't even win a fight against anyone (not that I plan to get into fights at concerts anyways,). 

Oh, I wasn't questioning her...believe me, I understand what it means to have a protective mother. I was just curious what her actual concerns were regarding you getting hurt. Like, was she worried about you getting knocked around in the pit, or afraid you'd get caught between a couple of meat heads throwing punches? Mosh pits are easy to avoid...just don't stand center stage, near the front 1/3 of the venue. Fights and other types of violence are pretty rare, and typically only happen at festivals when people have been drinking all day or in a club where the security sucks and some dipshit doesn't know how to hold his liquor.

If you think your mom would be receptive at all...make your case for either an area show with seating, because those aren't going to be any more dangerous than going to your average NFL game (probably even less) or try to research the venue and it's location. Most all-ages shows are going to be in pretty safe locations where the venues are going to shut shit down before it gets out of hand. If nothing else, they're going to make it as safe as possible to protect themselves from any kind of liability. A big name touring festival might be another possibility

...and Sardonicist is absolutely on the nose about ear plugs. You could probably skip them at an arena show (though take them just in case). Anything else like a festival or a club...bring a pair and bring some backups as well

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Oh, I wasn't questioning her...believe me, I understand what it means to have a protective mother. I was just curious what her actual concerns were regarding you getting hurt. Like, was she worried about you getting knocked around in the pit, or afraid you'd get caught between a couple of meat heads throwing punches? Mosh pits are easy to avoid...just don't stand center stage, near the front 1/3 of the venue. Fights and other types of violence are pretty rare, and typically only happen at festivals when people have been drinking all day or in a club where the security sucks and some dipshit doesn't know how to hold his liquor.

If you think your mom would be receptive at all...make your case for either an area show with seating, because those aren't going to be any more dangerous than going to your average NFL game (probably even less) or try to research the venue and it's location. Most all-ages shows are going to be in pretty safe locations where the venues are going to shut shit down before it gets out of hand. If nothing else, they're going to make it as safe as possible to protect themselves from any kind of liability. A big name touring festival might be another possibility

...and Sardonicist is absolutely on the nose about ear plugs. You could probably skip them at an arena show (though take them just in case). Anything else like a festival or a club...bring a pair and bring some backups as well

I know you don't have any kids Surge, but you do have to take into consideration that she's a young, slightly built, teenage girl who doesn't drive yet and hasn't been out to many (if any) public events like this on her own without any adult supervision. Maybe her parents just wouldn't feel comfortable sending her into a situation which they fear could very likely be a sausage fest ihabited by packs of drunken and/or drug-addled meathead metal dudes with raging libidos. I'm sure there are lots of parents who wouldn't feel comfortable sending their minor teenage girls even to an NFL game or sporting event with just a friend or two either (unless there were going to be adults or at least an older brother going along) or sending them into any situation that they assume will mostly be populated by drunken horny young men. I know that I've read accounts online written by females who were probably a bit older than teenagers, who have reported being groped or harrassed by dudes at metal shows. I don't think that's the norm, but it does happen. What you or I as ~6 foot tall 200+ pound middle aged dudes (yes I realize you've lost weight the last few years and are probably now sub 200) who have been to countless metal shows might view as a totally safe and non-threatening environment, could present a quite different impression to the parents of a relatively small high school aged girl who'd be a first timer. Her dad the Metallica fan should suck it up and take her and her friends to the nu-metal/metacore show even if he's repulsed by the music. These are the kinds of things us dads are supposed to do for our kids.

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I know you don't have any kids Surge, but you do have to take into consideration that she's a young, slightly built, teenage girl who doesn't drive yet and hasn't been out to many (if any) public events like this on her own without any adult supervision. Maybe her parents just wouldn't feel comfortable sending her into a situation which they fear could very likely be a sausage fest ihabited by packs of drunken and/or drug-addled meathead metal dudes with raging libidos. I'm sure there are lots of parents who wouldn't feel comfortable sending their minor teenage girls even to an NFL game or sporting event with just a friend or two either (unless there were going to be adults or at least an older brother going along) or sending them into any situation that they assume will mostly be populated by drunken horny young men. I know that I've read accounts online written by females who were probably a bit older than teenagers, who have reported being groped or harrassed by dudes at metal shows. I don't think that's the norm, but it does happen. What you or I as ~6 foot tall 200+ pound middle aged dudes (yes I realize you've lost weight the last few years and are probably now sub 200) who have been to countless metal shows might view as a totally safe and non-threatening environment, could present a quite different impression to the parents of a relatively small high school aged girl who'd be a first timer. Her dad the Metallica fan should suck it up and take her and her friends to the nu-metal/metacore show even if he's repulsed by the music. These are the kinds of things us dads are supposed to do for our kids.

Again, I wasn't trying to downplay her mom's concerns. I really was just wondering what specific concerns her mom has regarding metal shows, that's all. I brought up fighting and the moshpit because those were the first things that popped into my mind, and the things I figured were more likely to be stereotypes normies would associate with metal shows.

You make a valid point about groping and similar behavior, but I guess I don't necessarily associate that strictly with metal shows because I saw that kind of shit happening (more like remember the band on stage calling shit like that out) at regular concerts long before I got into metal

33 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Again, I wasn't trying to downplay her mom's concerns. I really was just wondering what specific concerns her mom has regarding metal shows, that's all. I brought up fighting and the moshpit because those were the first things that popped into my mind, and the things I figured were more likely to be stereotypes normies would associate with metal shows.

You make a valid point about groping and similar behavior, but I guess I don't necessarily associate that strictly with metal shows because I saw that kind of shit happening (more like remember the band on stage calling shit like that out) at regular concerts long before I got into metal

Definitely don't consider that type of behavior to be specific to or limited to just metal shows, absolutely not. But I got the impression that her parents' objections were more based on her age and gender and small stature than the fact that the event in question is specifically a metal concert. They'd probably be equally concerned about sending her off on her own to any large public gathering or event where they thought there would likely be a lot of men present and really no way to vet the other attendees. Boys will be boys, right?

I think the other thing many parents of underage teens could be concerned about when considering sending their kids off to a concert is the potential exposure to drugs and alcohol. Obviously there are many many other places and situations in a teen's life where they can be exposed to drugs and alcohol as well, but a rock or metal concert (or any genre of music) would probably be at or near the top of most parents' lists. There's just no denying that many people like to get fucked up at concerts. And obviously people who are impaired will have lowered inhibitions and can often display a suspension of their otherwise normally good judgement. Even if it's an all-ages event where no alcohol is sold, inevitably some people will bring along their own substances of choice.

44 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Definitely don't consider that type of behavior to be specific to or limited to just metal shows, absolutely not. But I got the impression that her parents' objections were more based on her age and gender and small stature than the fact that the event in question is specifically a metal concert. They'd probably be equally concerned about sending her off on her own to any large public gathering or event where they thought there would likely be a lot of men present and really no way to vet the other attendees. Boys will be boys, right?

I think the other thing many parents of underage teens could be concerned about when considering sending their kids off to a concert is the potential exposure to drugs and alcohol. Obviously there are many many other places and situations in a teen's life where they can be exposed to drugs and alcohol as well, but a rock or metal concert (or any genre of music) would probably be at or near the top of most parents' lists. There's just no denying that many people like to get fucked up at concerts. And obviously people who are impaired will have lowered inhibitions and can often display a suspension of their otherwise normally good judgement. Even if it's an all-ages event where no alcohol is sold, inevitably some people will bring along their own substances of choice.

Hence why I was curious.

Vix specifically mentioned metal concerts. So like Sheol and Relentless, I assumed it was a problem specific to metal concerts and the idea that they're violent gatherings. If this is a "no concerts of any kind without parental supervision" situation, then yeah, of course that's a different story, and she'd have to get past that hurdle first. If it's just about metal concerts, than she might be able to plead her case and have a chance of maybe changing her mom's mind if she looks into things like the concert venue, it's location, etc.

...but we're making a lot of assumptions around Vix, rather than just let her tell us. So, assuming she doesn't mind telling us, it's probably best to wait and see what she says.

43 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Hence why I was curious.

Vix specifically mentioned metal concerts. So like Sheol and Relentless, I assumed it was a problem specific to metal concerts and the idea that they're violent gatherings. If this is a "no concerts of any kind without parental supervision" situation, then yeah, of course that's a different story, and she'd have to get past that hurdle first. If it's just about metal concerts, than she might be able to plead her case and have a chance of maybe changing her mom's mind if she looks into things like the concert venue, it's location, etc.

...but we're making a lot of assumptions around Vix, rather than just let her tell us. So, assuming she doesn't mind telling us, it's probably best to wait and see what she says.

The possibility also exists that one or both of her parents could be to some extent misrepresenting or omiting part of the complete reasoning behind the basis for their concerns and objections. Parents don't always feel obligated to give a complete and exhaustive accounting of their reasoning behind the things we say no to. Sometimes we resort to a childish "because I said so" and sometimes we'll give part of the reasoning or a simplified version but still withhold some portion of our thoughts for various reasons. Sometimes we just make shit up.

I myself went to my first rock concert (Kiss) at 15 with a group of 4 other 10th graders and no adults, even though we were dropped off in front of the arena and picked up later by someone's parents. When I asked for money a month or two later ($7 or $8 back then) to buy a ticket for another concert my friends were going to (BOC) I was told no. And their reason given was that they already let me go to one rock concert, why would I need to go to another one? Seems pretty dumb, but was that the real reason? Probably not.