What do you usually do while listening to music?

Recovery

In this country hover seems to immediately make people think helicopter parent. It's becoming like that stupid idea of calling people Karen. If someone mentions a person hovering some idiot always has to pipe up with something about the person's parenting ability because so many people are stupid.

We also don't often hoover in this country (cause we love dust!). Although Hoovers were once very big sellers in this country people tend to vacuum here rather than use the brand name.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:54 AM, KillaKukumba said:

We also don't often hoover in this country (cause we love dust!). Although Hoovers were once very big sellers in this country people tend to vacuum here rather than use the brand name.

I had no idea hoover was a brand. I thought that was just another word for vacuuming. The more you know.

Well there ya go. Hoover's been around since the 60's and I think most Aussies have known it's a brand rather than a job for most of that time. For many years we had Hoover ads everywhere, it was hard not to know it was a brand name. How we never took on the word as a job is beyond me though because we took on things like Band Aid. We've got generations of people who never knew band aid was a brand name, they just thought it was a generic name for a bandage stuck over an open wound that made it heal quicker. I guess there is a lot of genericized trademarks around the world.

Thank you, blaaacdoommmmfan for your greetings!

Well, when cooking or doing something else in the kitchen, I rather listen to the Radio (A Rock/Hard-Rock/Metal station), sometimes I discover new music this way...

Hoovering is also new as a brand for me. And yes, there are several genericized trademarks around the world. In German, we say for example "can you give me a tempo, please?" meaning a handkerchief...and what about using a search engine, many people say "to google" in German...though a few people (like me) also use different search engines...

On 12/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Well there ya go. Hoover's been around since the 60's and I think most Aussies have known it's a brand rather than a job for most of that time. For many years we had Hoover ads everywhere, it was hard not to know it was a brand name. How we never took on the word as a job is beyond me though because we took on things like Band Aid. We've got generations of people who never knew band aid was a brand name, they just thought it was a generic name for a bandage stuck over an open wound that made it heal quicker. I guess there is a lot of genericized trademarks around the world.

See now my wife and her mom always called them "plasters" which I thought was a weird name. We call them Band Aids generally here, but that makes sense because going by the amount of shelf space allotted they do appear to be the biggest selling brand.

We have Hoover brand vacuums here in the states along with at least a dozen other brands but I've never heard anyone use the brand name Hoover as a verb, we say vacuum. When I hear "Hoover" I think of J. Edgar the cross dressing FBI director. Showing my age I guess.

When I was a kid many people would say Fridgidaire to mean refrigerator because it was the most popular kitchen appliance brand. A lot of older people said ice box for fridge as well because for instance my grandmother who was born in 1903 would be sent downstairs as a kid to get a block of ice from the ice man that came around in his horse and wagon daily. You don't ever hear any of these anymore it's just a fridge now. 

People used to say Xerox to mean any copy machine and IBM to mean a personal desktop computer back when these were relatively new things and even into the 90's but not anymore.

Most people also say Thermos to mean vacuum insulated flask and that one is still prevelent even though their patent expired in 1963 and there are many other brands in that space now.

We say Chap Stick for lip balm, Q-tip for cotton swab, Asprin for headache/pain reliever, and I know I usually say Kleenex to mean facial tissues (snot rag) even though I don't buy the Kleenex brand 'cause they're overpriced.

Even common words like zipper, velcro, rollerblade, Jet Ski, ping pong, popsicle, plexiglass, Jacuzzi, kerosene, escalator, dumpster, and Taser all started out as brand names.

Google is probably the most used generic trademark, but it also sounds better than pretty much all the alternatives.

In Australia I remember all sorts of names that I didn't immediately know were trademarks, things like asprin, bandaid, biro, liquid paper, pyrex, catseyes, eksy, vaseline, lavalamp, bobcat, astroturf, and probably a heap I don't remember.

There is probably plenty of localised ones too, like here in Australia in the 60's and 70's we all had Hills Hoists in the back yard, not clothes lines. It was invented in the 40's and Hills Industries made a lot of things like swing sets, trampolines (which itself originated as a trademark), tv aerials, and many other metal tubing products, but the Hills Hoist became our 'clothes line' because nearly every house had one, but that was also back when every house had a back yard to put one in.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

See now my wife and her mom always called them "plasters" which I thought was a weird name.

Plaster is the British -  and Kiwi it seems - name. My mum was English and she always hoovered...vacuum is a much cooler word. There are not many English words with 2 u's in a row. Continuum is one that comes readily to mind though.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, v-metalman said:

Thank you, blaaacdoommmmfan for your greetings!

Well, when cooking or doing something else in the kitchen, I rather listen to the Radio (A Rock/Hard-Rock/Metal station), sometimes I discover new music this way...

Hoovering is also new as a brand for me. And yes, there are several genericized trademarks around the world. In German, we say for example "can you give me a tempo, please?" meaning a handkerchief...and what about using a search engine, many people say "to google" in German...though a few people (like me) also use different search engines...

Hello again v metalman. Hoovering while listening to the radio why not if you like it. For me it's listening to a download at the moment. The Bluetooth headphone are good. No caught wires. 😃

Im guessing vacuum cleaning is correct term and not Hoovering. Your right though hoover is a brand. I brought one for work few years back.

Think I've seen tempo products. Never thought about that phrase.makes sense though if there market leader and there used by most people . 

I definitely say Google instead of search the internet 😁

• 4 weeks later...

I'm listening to alot of stuff via Bluetooth whilst driving at work. Sometimes there's 100 miles between jobs so I get to listen a fair bit 😁 having a range of metal styles helps as I get bored of one genre. Thrash, doom, black metal, funeral doom, ambient metal keep me entertained. 

Also while cooking and washing up I listen to more music via Bluetooth headphones. There handy as they don't get caught on things like the wired ones used to. I'm real coordinated like 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 3:48 PM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

I do everything with music really lol, been delivering Pizzas withn Blaze Bayley's The Man Who Would Not Die blasting from my car at the moment hehe, currently on my computer about to tidy my room with the same album playing been really into Blaze at the mo

Top man. I found I liked maidens X factor even more  whilst driving home from work in my car.id only heard it through headphones before then. What was I thinking 😉

I usually sacrifice virgins upstairs on my altar in the spare bedroom in the evenings while the black metal plays. And occasionally the stray goat or even a groundhog if I can't find a suitable virgin. If it's earlier in the day or I'm driving or something then I usually just fantasize about the virgins I will be sacrificing later.

ArtStation - Virgin Sacrifice