What do you usually do while listening to music?

Recovery

1 hour ago, Sheol said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

Also, Scotland is fucking beautiful. The highlands remind me a lot of the Swedish mountain world. Same type of vegetation and climate too.

I am an Account Manager for a global software company.  

One year we booked a cottage in Drumnadrochit up Loch Ness way and drove through Glencoe on the way up and back down again, it was some of the most rugged, barren and melancholically beautiful landscapes I had ever seen in my life.  There were snow clouds so low that you felt you could reach out of the car window and grab them. 

I am of Scottish ancestry. I've never been there, but have plans to go in the next few years. My family comes from Coldstream. Of course I want to go there, but it's the Highlands that really fascinate me, specifically the Outer Hebrides. I should ask, what are some of the best lesser known spots you would suggest to visit?

11 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I am of Scottish ancestry. I've never been there, but have plans to go in the next few years. My family comes from Coldstream. Of course I want to go there, but it's the Highlands that really fascinate me, specifically the Outer Hebrides. I should ask, what are some of the best lesser known spots you would suggest to visit?

My time up there in the main has been in the major cities in all honesty.  I have stayed in Edinburgh probably 4 or 5 times a year over the last decade in the run up to COVID, usually in The Witchery being a flash bastard.

That having been said should you ever find yourself in Edinburgh the westside is usually my haunt when working and the Water of Leith walkway usually is a pleasant amble first thing in a morning that I stumbled across by accident one morning going to a meeting.  There are occasional standing stones built on the really shallow banks of the river which were kinda neat to see.

We had plans for honeymoon (currently on our third planned date thanks to the pandemic) to get up to the Highlands in a remote cabin but had to cancel in the end.  Was looking to do a few nights there then get to an airport to fly out to Bergen to do the Bergen to Oslo railway and try and stay out in the remote hotels along the way before flying back from Oslo after a week to then get back to Scotland and do the Glencoe route again but try and stay somewhere this time.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:58 PM, Balor said:

I used to paint miniatures and model kits actually!  (I have no ability to draw.)  I wish that my profile picture was my own work, but it is actually the cover of the reissue of Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes' second demo:

R-12933913-1545044163-1203.jpeg.jpg

Great music too:

On topic, I currently either work out or read a magazine while listening to music.

balor thanks for clearing this up, thats a cool looking artwork though, you do paint so thats why i asked,    . 

also sure you can paint, you just need a good teacher, if you want it enough you will draw great, i know a few people who have done this. saying that balor i have same belief about my artwork too😂 

cool re what you do while listening to music, when you work out is that with weights?

19 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

cool re what you do while listening to music, when you work out is that with weights?

It's mostly body weight workouts for me right now (plus running outside - but I do not listen to music then).  Planks, pull-ups, squats, and so on.  I haven't really used weights since I stopped going to a gym a few years ago.

But my main music consumption during work-outs has changed recently from mostly metal to neofolk and noise.

I started listening albums as a whole from last September-October since I feel that pure listening experience (without doing anything) of the whole record is kinda lost today, since a lot of people don't have the time or patience to really get into the whole album experience. When I was younger, I didn't really have the patience for a lot of things, so I really try to listen to a lot of different bands and albums I never heard before, as much as I can and I try to pay attention to as many details about music as I can. It's the same with movies, shows, documentaries, podcasts, everything.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, Balor said:

It's mostly body weight workouts for me right now (plus running outside - but I do not listen to music then).  Planks, pull-ups, squats, and so on.  I haven't really used weights since I stopped going to a gym a few years ago.

But my main music consumption during work-outs has changed recently from mostly metal to neofolk and noise.

balor you do more than me. i used to do alot the planks and that body weight stuff  a few years when i was member of a local gym, works got so busy that ive stopped for now, weight training would be good i reckon, i generally like lifting heavy things at work, kind of satisfying when i lift something bit heavy.😁 its sounds crazy but true for me.

changing music genres for workouts is great idea, if you like the new music why not, you can always listen to metal again at another time

• 2 weeks later...

Nothings most of the time to be honest. I´ll just sit or lie down and focus and enjoy the music. Especially if it´s a new record or something i haven´t listened to in a long time. I think music deserves your attention and time and shouldn´t be viewed as mindless entertainment, sound snobby but that´s how i experience it personally. Whenever i start doing something i just lose focus and the music ends up being background noise. Of course i´ll put some music on while working out or cleaning the house but like i said it mostly just turn into white noise unless it´s a records that i know by heart.

I often put music on while pottering around my place (cooking, cleaning etc..) but I usually have several nights a week and at least one long music session over the weekend where I sit down on the sofa, lights off, eyes closed and just listen.

As the European Championships have been on, I’ve been watching football in the evenings, so have not had music on as much. In fact, recently, I went a week and a half without putting the hifi on! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sardonicist said:

Become aware of awareness, shift attention to the body, experience emotion free from inner dialogue, forget the outer world, imagine an inner world. 

Did I say aware of awareness yes I did. biological robots cannot be aware of awareness. A small part of the brain makes self awareness, there is nothing beyond that. Years of contemplating consciousness lead no where. But shift attention to the body, the rest is right. 

I try to stay unaware of my awareness. Trying to shift my attention away from my body today because it's windy & cold and the oil burner crapped out on me again yesterday just 9 days after I had it repaired, cleaned & serviced. Naturally something of this nature would happen to me on a Sunday which seems to be a sacrosanct day of rest and inactivity for all tradesmen. Temps got right down to the freezing mark overnight so my inner dialogue and attention is on waiting for the dude to come back to fix it and give me warmth, hopefully before the boy gets home from school. I'm worried that it'll be some electronic part made in China that they can't get for 4 or 5 months, just in time for spring.

Just remember this Luxi, when the drugs and/or booze wear off you'll come right.

Thankfully we're moving out of the cold weather, but it has turned to shit lately with rain and wind. I hate the wind when I'm stuck inside. If I'm alone in the house while it's windy I have the stereo turned up loud, no matter what I'm doing, it's one of the few times these days where the stereo gets past about 1/2 volume. If I'm out in the shed, or doing stuff out on the farm the wind is annoying but it doesn't annoy me as much as when it bangs and crashes into the house.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:44 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I try to stay unaware of my awareness. Trying to shift my attention away from my body today because it's windy & cold and the oil burner crapped out on me again yesterday just 9 days after I had it repaired, cleaned & serviced. Naturally something of this nature would happen to me on a Sunday which seems to be a sacrosanct day of rest and inactivity for all tradesmen. Temps got right down to the freezing mark overnight so my inner dialogue and attention is on waiting for the dude to come back to fix it and give me warmth, hopefully before the boy gets home from school. I'm worried that it'll be some electronic part made in China that they can't get for 4 or 5 months, just in time for spring.

Just remember this Luxi, when the drugs and/or booze wear off you'll come right.

Yeah physical discomfort is still beyond my understanding, the Vikings overcame it and there was Jesus Christ getting himself nailed to a cross for kicks. I did post on here about drinking scotch one time, that was the only drunk I've had over the past nearly 12 months, I was high on opium at the same time because I've going to drink then why not, but it was only one slip up so I don't count it and assert that I have been sober for nearly 12 months. 

I watch philosophy videos on you tube, these are better than drugs. Shrinking consciousness and being unaware of awareness is definitely the way. 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, Sardonicist said:

I watch philosophy videos on you tube, these are better than drugs.

Any good ones? I've been listening to Lex Fridman and watching Russel Brand videos when I turn in for the night but I could get down with a good, long-form philosophy video tonight because I have to (unfortunately) work in the morning. Tomorrow starts my "work week" of stress and general shit-showy-ness (It seems like every day at my job is a shit-show due to how understaffed we are).

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm listening to metal I'm usually on the train/bus heading somewhere. 

Listening to new metal music I'll just be sitting their listening analyzing bopping my head a bit or alot if it's really good. 

I'll sing and rock out for music I've already heard. Also during workouts. 

Non-metal will be pretty much all the same things except also for  background noise and for dancing ☺️

On 12/2/2021 at 8:37 PM, v-metalman said:

Well, usually I only listen to music and do nothing else, move a bit to it perhaps...I enjoy the music without doning something else...

Wenn I ride by bike to the train, I also listen to music and somtimes in the train - or when vacuuming with headphones

Greetings v-metal man. Hoovering whilst listening to metal is what I do too👏🤘🤘in my case also practical as my hoover is very noisy. 

I also listen to music whilst driving. I've got a few albums on my phone  I play via Bluetooth. I drive alot for work, for many hours a day too often but at least I can rock out. Tend to avoid metal with fast tempos for driving as I speed more.

And whilst cooking I listen to metal with headphones. 

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Damn, when I first read that I read it was hovering and I pictured you with your arms out, your body moving gently side to side and you making sounds like a helicopter!

That definitely sounds better than Hoovering. Hovering like a harrier jump jet. So cool unless the engine gets stalled. That's not so good😁