Overkill

Recovery

2 hours ago, Vikings19 said:

I remember friends back in the 80's saying the same thing. I never had a problem with his vocals but, I can understand others not liking them. Then again, Mustaine could be a tough listen, as well as Exodus' 2nd vocalist (Souza?).

I don't mind Mustaine's vocals, but yeah, Zetro's aren't to my taste either.

• 2 years later...

Overkill are possibly my favorite thrash metal band right after Slayer. Bobby's vocals might be an acquired taste like people already pointed out in this thread. But his whiney, nasal voice is a breath of fresh air compared to most tough guy vocals in thrash metal. The first five albums are just classics from beginning to end and i even have a weak spot for "I Hear Black"  and "W.F.O."  After that they lost me somewhat though when they went the Pantera routa. I only started purchasing their albums again when "Ironbound" came out in 2010.

The new stuff sounds still really energetic and reminds of the early days at times. Bands like Metallica and Megadeth would wish they could still write this kind of material. Just wish they didn't have that typical plastic Nuclear Blast production job with those horrible triggered drums. But i guess you can't have it all, right? I hope to catch them live in the not to near future. For some reason Overkill is one of those bands that i always missed when they came over here.

1 hour ago, Destructhor81 said:

Overkill are possibly my favorite thrash metal band right after Slayer. Bobby's vocals might be an acquired taste like people already pointed out in this thread. But his whiney, nasal voice is a breath of fresh air compared to most tough guy vocals in thrash metal. The first five albums are just classics from beginning to end and i even have a weak spot for "I Hear Black"  and "W.F.O."  After that they lost me somewhat though when they went the Pantera routa. I only started purchasing their albums again when "Ironbound" came out in 2010.

The new stuff sounds still really energetic and reminds of the early days at times. Bands like Metallica and Megadeth would wish they could still write this kind of material. Just wish they didn't have that typical plastic Nuclear Blast production job with those horrible triggered drums. But i guess you can't have it all, right? I hope to catch them live in the not to near future. For some reason Overkill is one of those bands that i always missed when they came over here.

Great to see another avid Overkill fan on here!  They're my favorite thrash band of all time.  What an extensive catalog!  Their first 5 albums, as well as their most recent 5 albums, are all thrash classics in my book.  I like some of the middle period as well, such as "W.F.O.", "From the Underground and Below", "Necroshine" and "Killbox 13".  Really hoping to get a new album from them in February or March of next year.  Should be another crusher! 

It's always a good day when Overkill release a new gem. They've got a formula and they don't stray from it too much, but that formula works for them. For me they went a little off the path after Horrorscope but they've definitely come back with the last few albums. Wings, Grinding Wheel and White Devil Armory are all constant players for me.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2021 at 4:10 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Some will say if you know one song you know them all because all Overkill songs sound the same.

If that's the case, then I guess I like Overkill because I like the song that I referenced above. I first heard it on a comp/sampler CD that came with some album I bought back in the mid 00s when I had an incredible CD collection of death and black metal... that later was destroyed by Hurricane Charley when the roof of the finished garage I was storing them in collapsed.

My vinyl collection is a second attempt at having a wide variety of music to listen to and I hope that nothing happens to it.

Overkill have remained true to their sound, and that is often used as a negative by some people, but there is enough difference in them to keep me (and many others) interested.

Their early albums do sound a bit different to today's stuff, but when you see pics of the band in the 80's almost rivalling other bands like Motley Crue in the amount of make up they were wearing it's hardly surprising they sound different. Like many bands they also changed a little bit during the 90's and into 00's but they didn't change completely like other bands. There is a sound that filters through pretty much every album that is unique and defines what they do.

I can't be stuffed looking for the images right now, but back in about 82 when Danny Spitz was in the band and DD called himself DD Blaze. They used to hit the stage with capes, platform boots, teased hair, eye liner and lipstick. Okay it wasn't quite as bad as those Chicks With Dicks bands like the Crue but it was still a long way from where they are today.

Metal Asylum

Metal Asylum

Holy Fucking Shit!! I've never seen these before and I've been an Overkill fan since before the first EP came out in the summer of '85. Young band trying to get a record deal, still searching for an identity I suppose. Fortunately they did abandon this look long before they became recording artists and before I ever saw them live.

Only Bobby and DD remain in the band today 40 years later, but that early look was certainly light years from where they ended up. 

Overkill (USA) - discography, line-up, biography, interviews, photos

Yeah I think abandoning the 82 era gear was a good move for them :)

They've come through a lot as a band. I do find it interesting that they really don't air dirty laundry. They've been through things like Bobby's illness etc and they spoke about it, but things like band break ups and arguments the band have not really spoken about.

• 6 months later...

I feel like pretty much every band has an image issue at some point in their career, unless I’m mistaken even slayer used to get on stage with the black eyeliner thing happening in the early days. Fortunately for me not being able to see you be atrocious attire artists choose to perform means I can focus on the music instead. 

My hair always curled at the bottom so mine always looked messy when it got long. That didn't stop me growing it when I was younger but once I stopped working with the bands and sound and moved into full time driving it was easier just to keep short. Nothing worse than laying under a truck on the side of the road in the dirt and mud trying to fix something and getting your hair caught in everything. But I never had a make up phase, or a dyed phase, or even a 'look after it too much' phase. In general I've always had a don't care what I look like attitude.

I suppose we've all tried to fit into groups somewhere whether it's for social purposes or work purposes doesn't really matter, we all have to assimilate at least once in out life. I remember being hugely annoyed that my brother wanted me to wear a suit to his wedding. I tried everything I could to get out of it because I hated the thought of such an outfit, but I had to give in in the end. Still to this day it's the only time I have ever worn a suit.

2 hours ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

they did a little bit during the super early days of the band, but they ditched that image pretty early on

Yeah I think I read they played one show dressed like that. But that's OK we now have Philly's Devil Master to carry on in their vampire footsteps. A band I actually really like, but I will admit I can't stand to look at their pics. Guess I must have a slight case of sanguivoriphobia.

Devil Master's Darkest Prince on The MetalSucks Podcast #435 | MetalSucks

9 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah I think I read they played one show dressed like that. But that's OK we now have Philly's Devil Master to carry on in their vampire footsteps. A band I actually really like, but I will admit I can't stand to look at their pics. Guess I must have a slight case of sanguivoriphobia.

Devil Master's Darkest Prince on The MetalSucks Podcast #435 | MetalSucks

"We're so serious about being vampires, even our photos suck."