What are your favorite rock lyrics?

Sinful Tranquility

'We chase misprinted lies We face the path of time And yet I fight And yet I fight This battle all alone No one to cry to No place to call home Oooh...Oooh... Oooh...Oooh... My gift of self is raped My privacy is raked And yet I find And yet I find Repeating in my head If I can't be my own I'd feel better dead Oooh...Oooh... Oooh...Oooh...' Alice in Chains- Nutshell The most simultaneously depressing and uplifting thing I've ever heard.

No, they're not. It's when they combine with the simple acoustic guitar and Layne's beautiful voice. I also said it's uplifting in some ways, and it certainly is to me. The lyrics seem really dark, but it's ultimately a song about being yourself, overcoming adversity etc.

I don't really have 'favorite lyrics' because there are far too many and I can't decide ;P This just came to mind at the moment. pretty much describes the world. Queensryche - Spreading the disease

Religion and sex are powerplays Manipulate the people for the money they pay Selling skin, selling God The numbers look the same on their credit cards Politicians say no to drugs While we pay for wars in South America Fighting fire with empty words While the banks get fat And the poor stay poor And the rich get rich And the cops get paid To look away As the one percent rules America

I like some of the lyrics for 'Carry On My Wayward Son' by Kansas.

This just came to mind at the moment. pretty much describes the world.
Not by a long shot. Those are by far the worst lyrics on that whole album. The thoroughgoing lack of insight and understanding, and outright non sequiturs even in the first paragraph are just appalling. Considering how good and well-constructed the concept of Operation Mindcrime is otherwise it's a real pity that these got left in. Even the way they frame it is terrible, the way they deliver them in a voice-over as if delivering a short homily to say: "and so, children, here's what this parable really means!" Hell, even the rest of the song has good lyrics, but that passage is absolutely teeth-gnashingly heinous.

Not by a long shot. Those are by far the worst lyrics on that whole album. The thoroughgoing lack of insight and understanding, and outright non sequiturs even in the first paragraph are just appalling. Considering how good and well-constructed the concept of Operation Mindcrime is otherwise it's a real pity that these got left in. Even the way they frame it is terrible, the way they deliver them in a voice-over as if delivering a short homily to say: "and so, children, here's what this parable really means!" Hell, even the rest of the song has good lyrics, but that passage is absolutely teeth-gnashingly heinous.
I was talking only for the lyrics and their meaning and not the way they have been put in the song. Everything that has being said is true. It was very accurate back when the song was made (and far earlier) and it's still very accurate today.

Everything that has being said is true. It was very accurate back when the song was made (and far earlier) and it's still very accurate today.
No, they are not. The 80's South American conflicts were motivated by desire to protect US companies and to combat Communism at any cost, not to sell drugs as the lyrics imply. The 1% does not rule America even if they do have a great deal of influence. The United States is also one of the least corrupt countries in the world, especially considering its size. 'The poor' have gotten wealthier although there is an increasing income gap. Religion is not a power play, it's a lot more complex than that. Aside from what's just factually wrong with these lyrics they're also kind of stupid. Of course merchants 'manipulate' people, advertisement has to motivate customers somehow but to call it manipulation suggests that people are too dumb not to listen. Of course the numbers look the same - what's the point? There's no deeper statement being made about the degeneration of values brought about by greed, and that message is confounded by the clearly anti-rich rant in the song. If they'd said something about how everyone, rich and poor, constantly runs after money to keep themselves alive (as they did in Empire), they'd at least be operating at the level of of subtlety acknowledged by the fairly simplistic Karl Marx. By and large this comes off as the same, boring 'we don't like wealthy folks' message that's so old and tired it makes Dick Clark look like Usain Bolt. I could buy these lyrics if they were trying to describe a dystopia, (and even then they'd be grievously unoriginal - a dystopian future where the rich rule the poor? Stop the presses!) but their use of current events clearly suggests to me that they're trying to make political commentary, which unfortunately every jackass with an opinion thinks he or she can provide with authority.

Re: What are your favorite rock lyrics?

No' date=' they are not. The 80's South American conflicts were motivated by desire to protect US companies and to combat Communism at any cost, not to sell drugs as the lyrics imply. The 1% does not rule America even if they do have a great deal of influence. The United States is also one of the least corrupt countries in the world, especially considering its size. 'The poor' [i']have gotten wealthier although there is an increasing income gap. Religion is not a power play, it's a lot more complex than that. Aside from what's just factually wrong with these lyrics they're also kind of stupid. Of course merchants 'manipulate' people, advertisement has to motivate customers somehow but to call it manipulation suggests that people are too dumb not to listen. Of course the numbers look the same - what's the point? There's no deeper statement being made about the degeneration of values brought about by greed, and that message is confounded by the clearly anti-rich rant in the song. If they'd said something about how everyone, rich and poor, constantly runs after money to keep themselves alive (as they did in Empire), they'd at least be operating at the level of of subtlety acknowledged by the fairly simplistic Karl Marx. By and large this comes off as the same, boring 'we don't like wealthy folks' message that's so old and tired it makes Dick Clark look like Usain Bolt. I could buy these lyrics if they were trying to describe a dystopia, (and even then they'd be grievously unoriginal - a dystopian future where the rich rule the poor? Stop the presses!) but their use of current events clearly suggests to me that they're trying to make political commentary, which unfortunately every jackass with an opinion thinks he or she can provide with authority.
The 1% does run the show, and are absolutely profiting from the same things that are raping the middle class and making the lower class more dependant on state assistance. According to the Bloomberg report, the 300 wealthiest people in the world gained an additional $524 billion in net worth in 2013, taking the total worth of those 300 to $3.7 trillion. There is not a country on earth outside of America and China that even has an annual GDP that high. If they're not in total control, is everyone just giving them more money out of the goodness of their hearts or to fulfill some need that these billionaires had? It seems more than a bit suspicious that in a shrinking economy with rising expenses and lower wages and work rates that so much money could flow up the pipeline to these lucky individuals. Perhaps those lyrics are a bit more blunt and less symbolic than others on the album, but that doesn't dismiss any validity that they carry. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The 1% does run the show' date=' and are absolutely profiting from the same things that are raping the middle class and making the lower class more dependant on state assistance. According to the Bloomberg report, the 300 wealthiest people in the world gained an additional $524 billion in net worth in 2013, taking the total worth of those 300 to $3.7 trillion. There is not a country on earth outside of America and China that even has an annual GDP that high. If they're not in total control, is everyone just giving them more money out of the goodness of their hearts or to fulfill some need that these billionaires had? It seems more than a bit suspicious that in a shrinking economy with rising expenses and lower wages and work rates that so much money could flow up the pipeline to these lucky individuals. Perhaps those lyrics are a bit more blunt and less symbolic than others on the album, but that doesn't dismiss any validity that they carry.[/quote'] The 1% do have a high amount of political power, probably more than they should, but they are in no way in 'total control' of this country. No tyrant has ever wielded total authority anywhere at any time.

The 1% do have a high amount of political power' date=' probably more than they should, but they are in no way in 'total control' of this country. No tyrant has ever wielded total authority anywhere at any time.[/quote'] Yet they were still tyrants, no? The problem is that less people are willing to fight it now than ever before, the lower class is more dependant on the system than ever with rising costs and fewer opportunities, which the middle class is paying for. We're also distracted by pet issues being given too much credence, and short sighted people are entrenched in combating the perceived opposition from "the other side" to see how much they're being controlled. I won't argue that people are at fault and could be doing a better job, but they're also very skillfully manipulated by those looking to retain influence. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yet they were still tyrants' date=' no? The problem is that less people are willing to fight it now than ever before, the lower class is more dependant on the system than ever with rising costs and fewer opportunities, which the middle class is paying for. We're also distracted by pet issues being given too much credence, and short sighted people are entrenched in combating the perceived opposition from "the other side" to see how much they're being controlled. I won't argue that people are at fault and could be doing a better job, but they're also very skillfully manipulated by those looking to retain influence.[/quote'] This strikes me as a more reasonable sentiment than that expressed in the lyrics. I vehemently disagree with your past categorization of abortion as a 'pet issue', but otherwise yes, I agree many people seem myopic in their political considerations.

This strikes me as a more reasonable sentiment than that expressed in the lyrics. I vehemently disagree with your past categorization of abortion as a 'pet issue'' date=' but otherwise yes, I agree many people seem myopic in their political considerations.[/quote'] That's because I don't believe abortion should be an issue. I don't think that there's any circumstance in which I would agree with it, but I can see some ways in which it could be justified (rape, mortal risk to mother, extreme deformity/crippling and painful disability, etc...). I have to acknowledge that the world around me has given enough reason for it to be legal and perhaps necessary in some cases, but just like any system, it is frequently used and abused for the wrong reasons. Just as much as I abhor those abuses, you can't just throw the whole thing because of them, and make those more valid recipients suffer because of others. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I agree. There There news that was just featured on the news. A pregent mom was on a life support system. Brain dead. The hospital in Texas keep the mother alive. For the baby. The family said no they want to pull the plug. That there wish. Not to see daughter. Hospital bulked at the wish of the family. Be ause of the state. Law in Texas. They have to keep the. Mother alive for the baby they where fighting in courts. To take her off court rule In the favor of the family. The hospital. Take her off she died so did unborn baby. What are thoughts on that kinda catch 22 there

That's because I don't believe abortion should be an issue. I don't think that there's any circumstance in which I would agree with it' date=' but I can see some ways in which it could be justified (rape, mortal risk to mother, extreme deformity/crippling and painful disability, etc...). I have to acknowledge that the world around me has given enough reason for it to be legal and perhaps necessary in some cases, but just like any system, it is frequently used and abused for the wrong reasons. Just as much as I abhor those abuses, you can't just throw the whole thing because of them, and make those more valid recipients suffer because of others.[/quote'] I have different criteria for determining permissible use, but I agree that it wouldn't work to have it be completely illegal. And I think that's all I will say on the matter to avoid a verbal nuclear war. I realize that I made the tangent so I suppose I'd better say something topical. 'Money For Nothing' by Dire Straits has good lyrics.

I never wanted to know Never wanted to see I wasted my time till time wasted me Never wanted to go Always wanted to stay Cause the person I am are the parts that I play So I play and I plan And hope and I scheme To the lure of a night Filled with unfinished dreams And I'm holding on tight To a world gone astray As they charge me for years I can no longer pay Savatage - When The Cowds Are Gone