What is your favorite Nu-metal band? :)

Sinful Tranquility

Re: What is your favorite Nu-metal band? :)

I second Deftones. I also like Rage Against the Machine and Tool' date=' but again, in both cases, they may not really be nu metal.[/quote'] I probably would consider rage against the machine nu-metal but not tool. Tool is more alternative alternative. I think a true nu band is Limp Bizkit.

I probably would consider rage against the machine nu-metal but not tool. Tool is more alternative alternative. I think a true nu band is Limp Bizkit.
Rage on paper could be nu metal, but they don't have that 'vibe' for me. The downtuned Korn riffs aren't really there; neither are the 'teen angst, "nobody understands me"' lyrics. It's just the groove/bounce and the hip hop influence that makes some people put them in that category. They're no more nu metal than Faith No More imo. Deftones' 1st album is definitely nu metal, as is a good portion of their second one (as much as I love them both). Since then they're a hard band to classify. There's metal, rock, alternative, indie, prog, a touch of punk, lots of post-rock/shoegaze and ultimately a good bit of pop, in their sound. Tool are not even vaguely nu metal. They might have inspired various nu metal bands, and bands have tried (and invariably failed) to imitate Maynard's vocal style, but that's where the link ends. As much as I do enjoy a few nu metal bands (Korn being my favourite actually within the genre), all these bands do something far bigger and deeper than any bands in the nu metal category.

Back to Linkin Park, though, the term 'nu metal' at least implies that there is a significant metal influence in the band's sound. Opinions differ as to whether you could call Slipknot or early Korn metal or not, but no-one can really deny there is a certain amount of metal influence in both these bands. For Linkin Park, there really isn't; it's pretty much alternative rock, pop and mainstream hip hop, with bits of dance and dubstep showing up from time to time on later releases.

If Disturbed counts as nu metal then they're by far my favorite.
Their first album, The Sickness, is definitely industrial-tinged nu metal. So, if you're into that, then yeah. After that, I'd pretty much call them commercial grunge-influenced hard rock, with some melodic metal flourishes here and there. I will always have a soft spot for them as they helped me get into more modern metal years ago and my mate loves them so I've grown up with them, really. I hope you're not suggesting they're better than Deftones, Tool, FNM or Rage, though. :o

Like I already said, Linkin Park was on a good path to becoming nu metal, but they took a wrong turn and now they are just pop with instruments. If there was ever any heaviness in their sound, that's long gone. I loved them as a kid and I still think Chester has a nice voice but they have nothing to do with metal. That band seems lost, their first album was really good and well accepted and now it seems like they are trying to make something just as good but they simply can't. Experimenting is fine but they seem confused. I do see Slipknot as nu metal, especially the early works. But to be honest, Slipknot, Korn, SOAD and other similar bands are not metal to me and nu metal is a genre used to describe bands that can't really be pop but can't be metal either. Iceni I agree with you when it comes to Disturbed. And I like System of a Down, but I would never say they are nu.

Well SOAD is on a break for... don't know how many years, and Serj started a solo career. He has 5 albums, the last two are more oriented to classical music and jazz. But if you like him maybe you should check out the first 3 albums, Elect the dead, Imperfect Harmonies and Harakiri. Some songs will remind you of SOAD but he also created his own sound.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies