your biggest accoplishments/goals in life?

All commercial stuff these days, food packaging etc. Was in the wallpaper trade at one point, designing and separating ready for laser engraving. Used to deal with all the big players over here and a few in the states. My plan at school was to become an architect, took all subject to go in that direction but just couldn't get into a practice anywhere, ended up in a small studio doing the wallpaper. Haven't done anything for me in years, just don't get the time. I'll get back into it at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is quite a loaded question/topic I guess my biggest thing is my two kids, Alice and Jane. I was young when I had them and foolishly married their dad (lesson learned) I have accomplished so much in my 26 years. I was the first of my family to complete high school (dropped out to have baby number one). I was also the first one to get a full scholarship to college. When I was in my teens, I was the lead vocalist in a Christian rock band - we got to tour Canada and it was pretty amazing. Something I will always remember. Until I got kicked out for being knocked up with said firstborn... I've also accomplished something pretty cool that I never thought I would. I bought my first house this past July. That is a goal I have always wanted to reach. This past year I also gained the strength to leave a very emotionally and financially abusive relationship. I started it shortly after my marriage ended and it took two years for me to find a job in a business that wasn't owned by the man I was dating. I was so happy when I finally told him I was done and that I deserved so much better than to be treated like dirt. Thanks to leaving that relationship I learned how to say yes to things I wanted. That is a giant accomplishment for me. I have always done what everyone else wanted and never went after what I did. Totally done with that crap. I finally got my sleeve started. I stopped caring what people thought about me and stopped worrying about disappointing people and just went and got it done. My tattoos are for me, no one else. I have several goals I want to achieve. I want to go back to college for Journalism. I have applied but I missed the cut off date, so I will be offered a place if there is room. I want to travel. I want to leave Canada and visit Las Vegas so I can hang out with Vinnie Paul (close friend of one of the Loaded Radio owners) and play KISS mini-putt...and walk around with booze in the street (Unheard of here in the hammer - unless you are homeless. They do it all the time) I want to go to more shows. Hopefully going to Black Sabbath this April, but I want to go to the BIG festivals. I want to wait until my kids are a bit older, though, so I can bring them haha Lastly, I want to be happy. I want to learn how to enjoy life. I want to look back at my life on my death bed and say that I was honestly happy. Fingers crossed it happens.

• 11 months later...

I am finally starting to reaaalllyyy feel the pressure as well as having a case of the ole senioritis. I have approximately 6 weeks left until my internship is over, and about 8 weeks until this semester is over then on to grad school. So ultimately my goal is to graduate grad school with decent grades and land a job immediately, heh.

You mean you go to school, then college, then something else in America? Here you go to university after school, get your degree, and get to it. As for the question at hand I have finished school, landed a great girlfriend, scuba dived the Great Barrier Reef, seen the Eiffel Tower, overcome clinical depression - twice, and recovered from a very serious accident. Ha and I thought I hadn't achieved anything...

You mean you go to school, then college, then something else in America? Here you go to university after school, get your degree, and get to it.
We have associates level, bachelors level, and grad school levels, which can have masters degree and PHD degree. The end of this semester I will have my bachelors degree, which is a four year degree, then I will enroll in graduate/ professional school, where I will obtain a masters of social work in mental health so that I can eventually become licensed and provide therapy sessions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies