Who is a Tool fan?

27 minutes ago, MetalRecordingServices said:

Ya know I was never a Melvins fan until I saw the Melvins live. The syncopated dual drummer thing was surprisingly spot on awesome.

I agree. They've never really captured the power of the two drummer lineup on any of the albums that I've heard, and I'm not always sold on their songwriting, but the live show was amazing. "A Senile Animal" is still my favorite of their albums.

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2011 at 4:46 AM, khaos said:

Re: Tool......Progressive or Alternative?? haha no actually I think GH is a great way of getting to know more bands. if it's one thing I don't really like about Tool it's the videos, I just can't make any sense of them. and when I think I have I get the feeling that they are just messing with us :P

I agree with your statement about Guitar Hero helping people discover new bands. Guitar Hero and Rock Band helped me discover the greatness of rock and roll. I probably would have never heard of Tool had it not been for World Tour.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, Thrashman said:

I'm looking forward to the new album a lot :) 

...funny how some of these threads go on for years... anyway, I joined today here and saw your post... so what do you think now that the official release has been out few weeks?  PRETTY DARN AMAZING ISN"T IT!!  They certainly didn't lose their unique sound... when I saw Tool down in FL back in a couple tours AFTER their 10,000 days release Maynard didn't seem into it and I had a bad feeling things were not going to go much further just by how he lacked his normal flare and sarcastic edge.... guess maybe he wasn't feeling good because all I know is that I'm so glad they stuck it out... I'd like think this isn't their last, but another 13 years they'd be in adult diapers possibly... alongside myself! LOL

BTW - Nice avatar... are you also into thrash? can you drop me a couple of your top Trash bands that first come to mind?  I'm always digggin for new stuff!!! Thanks bro!

Enjoy! LOL!!!!

1381337323_2032releaseofTool7thAlbum.jpg.c6d759464573085c53ad3f3d2925f37d.jpg

1 hour ago, Thrashman said:

Plenty of recommendations to be found here: https://www.metalforum.com/forum/149-thrash-metal/ ?

Thanks, Thrashman... I'm new to these Forums (literally never been on ANY Forum) and did discover the THRASH section and have been diggin through all the posts!! I'm learning how all this works... thanks for replying!  I look forward to crossing paths again.. sorry to congest the thread... just wanted to thank you for helping guide me to the right area! 

• 2 years later...

I'm a Tool fan. I own Undertow and a picture disc version of Lateralus. I would have bought Aenima the last time I went to Ft. Myers to buy records, but the edition he had of it was $60 and didn't even feature color vinyl or a lenticular cover (which remembering the Aenima CD, I would really like something with a lenticular cover if they can do that with a vinyl jacket). I've paid ridiculous amounts for albums before (I paid $52 for Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk on green vinyl recently and $45 for a color vinyl version of Nokturnal Mortum's "Goat Horns") but although I do like Tool, I cannot justify paying $60 + tax for Aenima when I can just listen to it on Spotify.

13 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I'm a Tool fan. I own Undertow and a picture disc version of Lateralus. I would have bought Aenima the last time I went to Ft. Myers to buy records, but the edition he had of it was $60 and didn't even feature color vinyl or a lenticular cover (which remembering the Aenima CD, I would really like something with a lenticular cover if they can do that with a vinyl jacket). I've paid ridiculous amounts for albums before (I paid $52 for Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk on green vinyl recently and $45 for a color vinyl version of Nokturnal Mortum's "Goat Horns") but although I do like Tool, I cannot justify paying $60 + tax for Aenima when I can just listen to it on Spotify.

That was most likely a bootleg too. The last vinyl pressing of Aenima happened some time in the 90's and now they go for hundreds of dollars. The median price for an OG pressing is $600 and the 1997 repress is currently for sale on Discogs for a cool $1400! There's a plethora of bootlegs of all Tool albums because for some reason, they seem to hate vinyl. Not even the latest album has gotten a vinyl release.

15 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Always buy black vinyl over any colour or picture disc. They are all gimmicks and don't sound as good. I have a picture disc of Ghost Reveries and it is noisy as fuck. Not that I buy vinyl anymore. 24 bit FDR digital is the most sensible listening option....not that they tend to be available.

I too am a Tool fan despite not owning a single album. There is something mesmerising and unique about their style. 

But the albums are too long.

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Always buy black vinyl over any colour or picture disc. They are all gimmicks and don't sound as good.

That a fact? Like is there some sort of scientific data that can prove that claim? because I don't know why colored vinyl or picture discs would have a different sound quality than standard black.

The gimmick works on me. I love having colored vinyl (not so much picture discs, as the picture discs that I had developed pits very early on which caused impassable skips on albums like Cannibal Corpse's "Bloodthirst" & Venom's "At War With Satan")

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

24 bit FDR digital is the most sensible listening option....not that they tend to be available.

I rarely listen to music on digital file because as I learned with CDs, you are getting an approximation of the sounds and missing certain high or low frequencies. The other reason I don't bother with digital is because I just prefer to have a physical copy of the media so that I feel like I truly own it.

1 minute ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

That a fact? Like is there some sort of scientific data that can prove that claim? because I don't know why colored vinyl or picture discs would have a different sound quality than standard black.

The gimmick works on me. I love having colored vinyl (not so much picture discs, as the picture discs that I had developed pits very early on which caused impassable skips on albums like Cannibal Corpse's "Bloodthirst" & Venom's "At War With Satan")

I rarely listen to music on digital file because as I learned with CDs, you are getting an approximation of the sounds and missing certain high or low frequencies. The other reason I don't bother with digital is because I just prefer to have a physical copy of the media so that I feel like I truly own it.

That's technically true but it doesn't have much bearing on the listening experience. The "approximation" you get with digital files is more accurate than vinyl reproduction (remember that the waveform is reconstructed, that's what convertors do), and the frequencies you're missing are outside the range of human hearing. Nothing wrong with enjoying the sound of your vinyl signal chain, but the idea that digital files are inferior in some objective way doesn't hold water.

From what I've read about recent vinyl production, the materials for colored discs have actually gotten better these days, but black vinyl has traditionally been the most durable because the carbon they use for coloring strengthens the material.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying the sound of your vinyl signal chain, but the idea that digital files are inferior in some objective way doesn't hold water.

That's just what I remember reading on a site that was trying to explain why vinyl offers a better, fuller sound than digital options. I do not pretend to know in reality why this is, science is not my strong suit (unless it's marine science as those were the only science credits I took at college).

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

From what I've read about recent vinyl production, the materials for colored discs have actually gotten better these days, but black vinyl has traditionally been the most durable because the carbon they use for coloring strengthens the material.

I was not aware of this. I always laughed at the stuff by Nuclear Blast that had a big sticker on the front saying "On BLACK vinyl" as if it was something special. LPs have traditionally been pressed on black vinyl & the fact that Nuclear Blast and Earache likes to pretend like it's something special is just funny to me as someone who prefers to collect color vinyl. I did not know that the carbon that was used to color the vinyl had anything to do with it's strength. The majority of my record collection is on colored vinyl but a lot of my LPs are between 180-200g so they are thick, heavy, and have a great full sound. Like right now, I am spinning Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse" and it's on dark blue vinyl and the sound seems fine... but then again I do not have the best turntable or speakers in the world. I have a $200 Fluance turntable and probably $150 Edifier speakers.

So yeah color vinyl might be a gimmick, but that gimmick works on me and I have no problem admitting it. I have some really cool colored LPs: My green/brown translucent Nokturnal Mortum "Goat Horns", My dark green "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk", my camouflage-patterned Earth Crisis 7" and my candy-corn colored Acid Witch "Evil Sound Screamers". The different colors are one of the things I like the most about collecting vinyl LPs and 7"s. Having it on a color other than black just makes it feel more unique and special to me and makes me more motivated to purchase it.

I too like colored vinyl, gimmick or not. I've consigned to the fact that my hearing, and signal chain, isn't advanced enough to really blindpick an audible differences between black and colored vinyl. I think the production and mastering are much more likely to affect my experience. Picture discs are known to be dicey though, since the manufacturing process isn't the same as when you just press a regular vinyl puck into a disc. But I've heard that has gotten better as well now.

I like when there's an etching or screenprint on the last side of a vinyl, this is often done when there's only music to cover 3 sides so the 4th is left blank. Good examples include Hail of Bullets - On divine wings

R-2496676-1312300583.jpeg.jpg

and Rheia Gorecki - VV

R-19549987-1626709998-8439.jpeg.jpg

Two of my Nokturnal Mortum albums have a screenprint on the D-side of the second disc. My Batushka "Raskol" EP also has a screenprint on the D-side as well. I used to have a lot more picture discs than I do now. I think the only ones I have now are a Smashing Pumpkins one and the Obtest 7" that I bought about a week or so ago. Like I said, I used to have Cannibal Corpse "Bloodthirst", Venom "At War With Satan", and even the first Rage Against the Machine album on picture disc but they all developed pits toward the edge of the disc in relatively short order that made caused a permanent, impassable skip on songs and that was a bummer. I was going to pay $27 and get a picture disc of King Diamond "Abigail" but decided against it because I overplayed that album in high school. I have the opportunity to get a Kreator picture disc, but I'm not sure whether or not I like Kreator enough to get a picture disc of their material.

I am a complete fool for colored vinyl though. I have some amazingly pretty ones like Hot Water Music "Fuel for the Hate Game" and Varathron "Walpurgisnacht" that are among the prettiest records that I've ever seen. One of the 7"s that just arrived from Osmose is like a deep purple color that is the same color as my copy of Sleep "Sleep's Holy Mountain" and that's one of the reasons why I ordered it, because I do not have a lot of colored 7"s. Most of my Nokturnal Mortum ones are colored save for my copy of "To The Gates of Blasphemous Fire", which is black. I have a beer-colored galaxy of Twilightfall", a blue "Lunar Poetry", a green and brown translucent "Goat Horns", a white "Nechrist", a grey and white marbled "Return of the Vampire Lord/Marble Moon" and a black/clear galaxy "Voice of Steel".

I have a lot of colored vinyl. Getting colored editions is a lot of what influences me to buy an album, since everything comes on black and blck is kind of  boring color for vinyl. What I like about the colors is that it makes the disc itself stand out in my collection.

14 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Carbon black is an anti-static agent so, certainly in the past, black records were demonstrably better sounding.

It could be that coloured vinyl manufacturing/materials have improved in recent years but consider that practically every band active today records and mixes in the digital realm. The master file that went to the pressing plant to then be filtered/degraded to put back in an analog format (like the soundwave that blasted out of the 4x12 captured by a microphone in the first place....assuming there was a 4x12 and not a cab sim!) was most likely a 24 bit digital file (hopefully mastered for full dynamic range, although most are not).

I get the compulsion to collect something; I used to collect Star Wars figures as a child. It is pretty common. I just like to challenge why people have the habits they do.

The world does not need another splatter vinyl edition. It is groaning under the weight of hubris as it is. Besides which, there is a huge backlog at pressing plants due to lack of resources....doesn't that indicate that it is time for something new? I reckon the future should be in large format art books with lyrics, band info etc - for those who absolutely positively gotta have something to put on a shelf.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Carbon black is an anti-static agent so, certainly in the past, black records were demonstrably better sounding.

I was not aware of that. You learn something new every day I suppose.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I get the compulsion to collect something; I used to collect Star Wars figures as a child. It is pretty common. I just like to challenge why people have the habits they do.

I do it because I like to have the large, physical copies of the music that I enjoy & the big piece of art that is the on the sleeve. Sometimes I display the sleeves on my wall.

You could probably get some aftermarket plastic album sleeves and then duct tape the large format album cover art onto your t-shirts and save a lot of money on merch that way. You could have one album cover on the front and another on the back to advertise your musical preferences to passers-by both coming and going. I know it's usually hot as fuck in Tampa (my daughter lives in Winter Haven, I hate going down there into Satan's asshole to visit even in winter) so you could probably even skip the shirt altogether and tape them album covers right to your skin, it'd be like a homemade black metal tank top.

I have two goals in life: one is to turn a camper into a tiny house for myself, the other is to own and operate my own record/t-shirt store, probably online since brick and mortar is not doing too well anymore. If I can parlay the record store idea into it's own label, I'd like to do that as well but that's a really big goal for right now.

First thing I have to do though, is get off of probation. I have about $2000 & 10 months left to go before I can do that.

11 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I have two goals in life: one is to turn a camper into a tiny house for myself, the other is to own and operate my own record/t-shirt store, probably online since brick and mortar is not doing too well anymore. If I can parlay the record store idea into it's own label, I'd like to do that as well but that's a really big goal for right now.

These are admirable goals. 

My wife got obsessed with tiny houses a while ago. And my mum and dad love their caravan. It is where they are happiest.

I was down for the tiny house idea (although I reckon living in a well made apartment is still a better use of resources/lower ecological footprint than a tiny house) but would insist on at least a tin shed off to the side where I could pile up the boxes of Star Wars figures and LPs. Y'know. Just in case I needed them.

A tiny house could maybe be perfect for me if I was all by myself but with the 7 year old to consider that changes things a bit. I've been looking at a little log cabin in the woods up here that looks like when it snows it'd make a perfect black metal album cover. One bedroom that's in it's own little cabin (the one on the right in the 1st pic) that's attached to the main cabin, which has a fireplace and 2 small leather couches on one side of a wall, big chunky rustic dining table on the other side, and the kitchen runs along the back wall. Tiny little half bath with a separate little shower room right across the hall wedged in between the kitchen and bedroom, it's small but cozy. Not tiny home small (tiny homes average 225 sq ft) but it's a modest 657 sq ft. or 61 sq meters. 3 times the size of a tiny home but still 3 times smaller than the 1,800 sq ft house we're in now. And it's right up the road from me just 5 minutes away in a little lake community, the kid would still be riding the same school bus, he'd just be getting on at a different stop.

It's a 3-season summer cabin right now so it'll need plenty of work to be made winter worthy. I'd probably have to dump at least $40k into it right off the bat. Gonna need some kind of heating soution, (I love burning wood, but fireplaces aren't as efficient at heating as most people think they are) it needs some log replacemnt & maintenance, some insulation underneath the floors, (there's really no way to put any insulation in the walls or the roof) definitely needs all new energy efficient double pane windows. I'd change out the sad little kitchen in favor of homemade rustic cabinets and all new appliances, rip out the vinyl shower kit and put in a real tiled shower, and we'll have to figure out somewhere to put a washer/dryer and a bed for the kid to sleep.

But the real biggie is I'd have to have a well drilled if I wanted running water during the colder months where the temps normally drop below freezing more nights than not between mid October and April 1st. I called a local well digger to see about coming out to see if he thinks he can get his truck in there past the little ravine with the babbling brook and how much that's gonna cost me. I'm guessing $10k to $15k but we"ll see. Apparently the well guy has Covid atm so I guess I'll have to wait til he recovers. And then once I add all that shit up I'll have to be patient and start the negotiating process. It's been on the market for 105 days since mid July, but I'm not in a huge rush because we know no one's gonna want to buy it right now because you can't use it over the winter as it is.

This could get tricky because the dude's asking $135k which we think is a bit more than it's worth in the condition it's currently in. It was apparently purchased last in 2017 for $45k and the owner really hasn't done all that much to it that we can see besides laminate floors. So I wouldn't be offering close to asking price, I'd go in at like $94k or something. Problem is some people aren't realistic and simply won't sell at all if they can't get the price they think they deserve. No idea who the seller is but I'm friends with the realator who works in the same office with the listing agent so hopefully we can open lines of communication and come to some kind of an agreement by late winter or spring. But whether I can get this place or not I'm still gonna need somewhere for us to live when we sell this farm house I'm renovating now (with any luck for a shit ton of money) in the spring. So I'm gonna try real hard to get it even if I end up paying a bit more than I think it's worth.

35aa115e6ac85c7ed14985eca71af79a-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

5c55bb0aa82a62d218f8b6ff04daf1ae-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

4a4414994402a9d3e2e4ce062d238225-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

f5c44ef310203f3670fc91fc6f94b8db-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

47b834bc0cc87df40dba497d8f40e365-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

1f0005f9f4dd856d0b9fc982056df0cf-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

9968b63bbfdb2817eaef8a4a59f79d39-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg