Jump to content

Who was baptized?


hrabia
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Valso said:

I'm sure this guy said the same to himself and it didn't end well for him. This is just one example of why I stay away from religious people. They're ticking timebombs waiting to blow up in your face the moment you say something that doesn't praise the sky pedophile.

https://i.imgur.com/pqQ18x9.png

We all end in death, it doesn't make any difference when or how it happens. There are insightful religious people and ignorant non-religious people. Existence is dark, religion does not have a monopoly on the darkness. 

I'm reading Ethics by Spinoza, he logically proves the existence of God in there. A god with no human traits. The substance that is the cause of itself and everything. Whereas a living human is a localized effect from an eternal process of causes. Environment and information causes every thought and action. It is observable that nothing happens without a cause. Humans are not the exception, there are no aspects of human life that is not an effect of infinite external causes. People are machines. The self is an illusion, the truth is that we are not born, we are not human and we don't die. The human animal is born, then it takes 2 to 5 years for the brain simulate a self, the self is an illusion. No one chooses what they think or believe, it is all fixed and determined. 

If a religious nut is determined to murder me that is the way it is. Until then I have better information so will not live in death anxiety with a fixation on blaming the futility of life on religion.  

Intellectually I don't hate religious people, or anyone, people a machines, it makes no sense to hate machines. No praise, no blame. As a living human animal I hate people, human animals are by nature hateful there is nothing we can do about that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sardonicist said:

Whereas a living human is a localized effect from an eternal process of causes. Environment and information causes every thought and action. It is observable that nothing happens without a cause. Humans are not the exception, there are no aspects of human life that is not an effect of infinite external causes. People are machines. The self is an illusion, the truth is that we are not born, we are not human and we don't die. The human animal is born, then it takes 2 to 5 years for the brain simulate a self, the self is an illusion. No one chooses what they think or believe, it is all fixed and determined.

Agree. But I think selfhood gets holes poked in it all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

Intellectually I don't hate religious people

Oh, I don't hate them either. But I know what they're capable of, so I prefer to keep my distance from them, especially from the parasites wearing black robes, also known as "priests".

Here's the full version of the image I posted above, it's just a small example of what religious people are capable of. If I start listing everything I know and everything I or my family members have ever experienced with them (the bigger part is related to the black robes parasites), I'll hit the "submit reply" button next week...

https://i.ibb.co/QkRPtFh/christians-killing-v4-1650x4100.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's how it works here too. 

My apologies, I have to admit the way it has been reported down here there has been no mention of the Mississippi law which provided the context for that decision. As someone who claims to be politically informed I really shouldn’t make such fundamental errors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Out of interest were you into religion or did your family  make you do it. 

i was a newborn when it happened so i was kinda just sat there mr whippy ice cream shitting in my nappy whilst the church did its jazz. when i got a bit older, around 5 to 6 years old my nan made me go to church with her, i sorta just sat there, my intrest was more in the little bars of cheese the nice old ladies would bring for all the kids at sunday school. then i started arsing around a bit, once i got asked "when should a child attend a funeral" at sunday school and i said "when they are dead"....i genuinely didnt think about the question-

everyone was talking about forgiveness whilst i was positioning two mini mannequins in the back storage room to look like they were wanking each other off. 

i would show upto church in an AC DC t shirt at about 9 years old. at this point i was here for fun, i never looked into it but at 11 i read the bible and tried to be an actual christian. much like your first girlfriend, my relationship with god lasted a week and seriously fizzled out towards the end. lets just say, god left his underwear on the bathroom floor way way too much. it didnt work out. he was a more stairway to heaven kinda guy. i was highway to hell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 12:16 PM, SurgicalBrute said:

Christ, I honestly don't care if you're religious, spiritual, an atheist, or some edgelord anti-theist...trying to frame someone's mental break as proof that all religious people are just waiting under your bed to get you is some truly exceptional thinking.

I don't know about you man, but while that Youngstown woman in the article was probably an extreme case, it still seems to me that all truly religious people are clearly a little off, and should probably be found incompetent in legal proceedings. I don't think they're all waiting under my bed to get me, and I know they're not all stark raving lunatics, but it seems fairly obvious to me that just by being so religious they're not capable of thinking clearly and rationally.

I don't necessarily mean all the sheep who maybe pop into a house of worship on their sabbath every now and then, and maybe they like to celebrate some of their culture's traditional relgious holidays or they might even like to say a little prayer now and then when facing some adversity because they've been taught that's just what they're supposed to do, but then they basically ignore their religion all the rest of the time. Those aren't the ones I'm worried about. I'm talking about the truly religious people who really buy hard into this shit and let it govern every aspect and decision of their lives. I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them. I do my best to stay away from them, and I believe strongly that they need to be rooted out from positions of authority and power and certainly from our government and public schools.

I should not have to tolerate other people making decisions that affect me based on their religious beliefs no matter what they might be. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Nordic mythology, Wiccans, whatever else is out there, they're all equally nutty. I understand that our US constitution grants us all freedom of religion and that's fine, that's really none of my business what others choose to believe. As long as they leave me alone and keep it to themselves we're all cool. But when someone's religious beliefs impact either my or my family's lives then I have a huge fucking problem with that. And you should too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without trying to sound too mean 'spirited' 😁, Theological belief is the result of intellectual cowardice, imo. As something of a nihilist, I hold nearly all such beliefs in distain.

I didn't say religion because that is a little too broad - Buddhist teachings are re-packaged and labelled as a religion but really that's a whole complicated other story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

As long as they leave me alone and keep it to themselves we're all cool. But when someone's religious beliefs impact either my or my family's lives then I have a huge fucking problem with that. And you should too.

Out of interest how often does this happen? I know our two countries are quite different when it comes to religious issues but I can't remember the last time someone's beliefs impacted my life. Sure there is shit on the news from time to time and there is obviously stuff going on around the world and I'm sure someone can argue that it effects my life but that's not what I'm talking about. As far as me waking up in the morning and me going to sleep (sort of) at night this thread is about as close to religion as my life gets. I know plenty of religious people and they handle their religious beliefs differently but it's very rare that it becomes a topic of conversation. I pass a few churches when I go to town, but even on a Sunday they or their parishioners don't effect what I'm doing. As to the last time it actually had any sort of impact I couldn't even guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

As to the last time it actually had any sort of impact I couldn't even guess.

Well, our recently deposed Prime Mincer - and the government he led - had a direct impact on all our lives here to a greater or lesser extent, and, as his recent 'sermon' showed, he has an entirely different concept of government and morality than normal people.

If you are already one of the elect then your actions in the world don't matter and you can do whatever pleases you and justify it retrospectively. This message is much sugar coated, but it is the take home message of Calvinism and all that derives from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Out of interest how often does this happen? I know our two countries are quite different when it comes to religious issues but I can't remember the last time someone's beliefs impacted my life. Sure there is shit on the news from time to time and there is obviously stuff going on around the world and I'm sure someone can argue that it effects my life but that's not what I'm talking about. As far as me waking up in the morning and me going to sleep (sort of) at night this thread is about as close to religion as my life gets. I know plenty of religious people and they handle their religious beliefs differently but it's very rare that it becomes a topic of conversation. I pass a few churches when I go to town, but even on a Sunday they or their parishioners don't effect what I'm doing. As to the last time it actually had any sort of impact I couldn't even guess.

My wife moved here from NZ in 2012 and she was absolutely horrified and appalled by overall how religious this country is and how these religious nuts have so easily been able to gain positions of authority and power in our local, state and federal governments and pass laws restricting people's rights based on their religious beliefs and 'morality.' We only have two main political parties here in the archaic 250 year old system of government we have here in the states and one of them got into bed with the religious fanatics decades ago because being greatly outnumbered by the followers of the other party they knew they'd need their votes to win future elections. Now 30 - 40 years later that party has been basically hijacacked by the religious right and they've stacked the courts in their favor and they obstruct everything they possibly can in Congress and they've been able to enact some insane draconian laws to impose their will on the public for things most people are not in favor of. What gives them the right to restrict the rest of our rights? They've also been very persistent over the years in their attempts to get their "creationism" nonsense taught in the schools side by side with evolution which is actual science. And as the parent of an 8 year old that makes me so mad I can't even put it into words. They even put their religious crap right on all of our money "in god we trust" and the phrase "one nation under god" is in the pledge of allegiance they make all the kids in school recite each morning with their little hands over their little hearts, it's fucking nuts. I honestly don't care what people want to do in private, but when this religious insanity based on bronze age fairy stories infiltrates our government and our education system then it impacts me and my family and I won't stand for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that winds me up about most Christians is how there almost all against abortion in most cases. Im a Christian but I think it's up to the female to decide. There has been cases years later where they've regretted having the abortion but still my view is not changed. Surely the best interest of the child is to have a committed mother who actually wants them. How do others see this? My view is right surely and there not right 😉 it's a grey area I'm guessing but all this anti abortion stuff winds me up. I was asked to sign some anti abortion petition while back. My wife signed it and I would not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Well, our recently deposed Prime Mincer - and the government he led - had a direct impact on all our lives here to a greater or lesser extent, and, as his recent 'sermon' showed, he has an entirely different concept of government and morality than normal people.

 

Yeah I know Mr Hill Song loved his choirs and sing a longs but I felt no more or less religiously affected with him in charge than any other PM. The media made a big deal of his sing songs and the like but my daily life wasn't really effected by what he did. Just like it's not effected when the opposite side choose church over everything else on a Sunday morning. I know the connection between church and leadership is there but still can't for the life of me think of how that effects me on a daily basis, at least not to the point of upsetting me, or getting me angry at that religion.

9 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My wife moved here from NZ in 2012 and she was absolutely horrified and appalled by overall how religious this country is and how these religious nuts have so easily been able to gain positions of authority and power in our local, state and federal governments and pass laws restricting people's rights based on their religious beliefs and 'morality.' We only have two main political parties here in the archaic 250 year old system of government we have here in the states and one of them got into bed with the religious fanatics decades ago because being greatly outnumbered by the followers of the other party they knew they'd need their votes to win future elections. Now 30 - 40 years later that party has been basically hijacacked by the religious right and they've stacked the courts in their favor and they obstruct everything they possibly can in Congress and they've been able to enact some insane draconian laws to impose their will on the public for things most people are not in favor of. What gives them the right to restrict the rest of our rights? They've also been very persistent over the years in their attempts to get their "creationism" nonsense taught in the schools side by side with evolution which is actual science. And as the parent of an 8 year old that makes me so mad I can't even put it into words. They even put their religious crap right on all of our money "in god we trust" and the phrase "one nation under god" is in the pledge of allegiance they make all the kids in school recite each morning with their little hands over their little hearts, it's fucking nuts. I honestly don't care what people want to do in private, but when this religious insanity based on bronze age fairy stories infiltrates our government and our education system then it impacts me and my family and I won't stand for it.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel the way you do I know things are a bit more extreme in the US than they are here, but knowing that the leaders of this country pray to a god, use god to bless their parliament and who knows what else does not really get in the way of my day. I also can't blame one side more than the other given that both sides do it and have done it since day one. I know some will make a connection between me paying 60% more for diesel today than I did 12 months ago and religion. I know the shops are shut twice a year for religious events I don't much care about. But I also know that a large portion of those who claim to be offended by religion are more than happy to not go to work on those chosen days. However despite all that I still don't think the religion of others effects what I do on a daily basis. Like I said I'm sure someone can try to make a connection for me, but for me it's just there.

3 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

One thing that winds me up about most Christians is how there almost all against abortion in most cases. Im a Christian but I think it's up to the female to decide. There has been cases years later where they've regretted having the abortion but still my view is not changed. Surely the best interest of the child is to have a committed mother who actually wants them. How do others see this? My view is right surely and there not right 😉 it's a grey area I'm guessing but all this anti abortion stuff winds me up. I was asked to sign some anti abortion petition while back. My wife signed it and I would not. 

I personally don't know any Christians that are against it, not totally anyway. I know in the US it's a hugely different thing and I don't pretend to understand it but here the only ones really making a big deal of it is the media and the extreme outliers claiming, without and solid evidence, that we'll follow America and ban abortion in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't know about you man, but while that Youngstown woman in the article was probably an extreme case, it still seems to me that all truly religious people are clearly a little off, and should probably be found incompetent in legal proceedings.

A generalization that could easily be applied to almost any group when you look at their worst actors. "Metal fans aren't right in the head, look at that music they enjoy and how it's always going on about murder, rape, horror, etc. Those people clearly aren't right in the head."

 

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I should not have to tolerate other people making decisions that affect me based on their religious beliefs no matter what they might be.

Every day you literally have to tolerate people making decisions that affect you based on a multitude of reasons...many of them you most likely wouldn't agree with even if the decision itself is something that's favorable to you. Did it really matter if people wanted Roe vs Wade gone because of religious reasons vs because of their own moral standards? The end result was still exactly the same.* People make decisions based on a whole host of factors including, but not solely based on, religion. It sounds like what you're objecting to isn't religion or religious people though. It sounds like you're objecting to outcomes that you don't personally like, and falsely assuming that if there weren't religious people those outcome would have gone in your preferred way

 

*For the record, before anyone tries to come at me. Whatever feelings I may hold personally, I think it was an incredibly bad idea to strip federal abortion protection away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I know Mr Hill Song loved his choirs and sing a longs but I felt no more or less religiously affected with him in charge than any other PM. The media made a big deal of his sing songs and the like but my daily life wasn't really effected by what he did

But, I re-iterate, it was. Not your ability to work your farm, interact with your family, listen to the music you like and bang heads with us here, but there is a context to the everyday lives we lead. No action on climate change, wilful neglect of important services like aged care, degradation of education, especially the universities etc etc. This all affects you and me, if not today, then tomorrow. Maybe not your personal life quite yet, but it's the old business - they came for the communists, but I didn't worry because I wasn't a communist...All this neglect and the corruption - what we (and members of his own party) would call a lack of a moral compass are direct consequences of his religious ideology.

I am a well off straight white male - entirely privileged in our society - but I have gay, non-white, transgender, less well off, female,  family members and friends.I will likely be dead by the time the climate apocalypse really bites but the consequences of Calvinist ideology affect us all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure those things affect me, but connecting them to religion is flimsy at best. Those things didn't happen because the big cheese was a church loving fool who sung on weekends. His party didn't make decisions because god told them to, they didn't even all pray to the same god. ScoMo didn't do his best to ignore climate change because a God told him to he did it because businesses who gave his party lots of money told him to. Those same businesses would have given the same money to the Labor party and they'd have made exactly the same decisions had they been in power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I should not have to tolerate other people making decisions that affect me based on their religious beliefs no matter what they might be. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Nordic mythology, Wiccans, whatever else is out there, they're all equally nutty.

It seems that you want to live life according to 'live and let live' but this is not how humans are, fundamentally. This is clearly shown by recognizing that around 84% of the worlds population identify as religious. People want to be part of groups, they measure their worth and the correctness of their actions against what the group deems as appropriate. If you live outside of a group then you're living a life of moral relativism.

Even YOU crave being part of a group, you're here aren't you? And as much as you think you live your life on your own terms, there are actually many decisions which greatly affect you that are completely outside of your control. 

If the idea of religion was suddenly stripped from the earth, then people would still find a way to come together in large groups, invariably having to come to a consensus of the fundamentals of how to live a worthwhile life. It must be this way because people simply cannot live in groups as distinct individuals doing what they want without a concern for others in the group.

Like it or not, you ARE a part of a group (society) and if you want to enjoy the freedom that a democratic society has, then you also have to learn to live with decisions that don't always suit your personal preference.

So, you clearly take exception to people in power who are religious and making decisions that affect you personally. But my point is to look at this from a broader perspective. If a religious person was not making rules and laws that affect you, it would be someone else. And if that someone else didn't subscribe to any religion, then you couldn't be sure what their motivations are or what values they hold.

I'm not religious in the slightest, but my view is, with a religious person in charge, at least you know what you're getting. 

You say you should not have to tolerate other people making decisions that affect you based on their religious beliefs, and that is something I agree with but its nothing more than a nice thought. 

You want to talk about decisions being made that affect your life? How about $390 million of taxpayer-funded equipment sent to the most corrupt country in Europe without my agreement?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

ScoMo didn't do his best to ignore climate change because a God told him to he did it because businesses who gave his party lots of money told him to

True. But the ideology behind this is do fuck all because god will look after the elect and who cares about the rest. God told him it was OK not to care and to take the money.

 

26 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Those same businesses would have given the same money to the Labor party and they'd have made exactly the same decisions had they been in power.

Ya think? Let's see.

1 minute ago, madmick666 said:

I'm not religious in the slightest, but my view is, with a religious person in charge, at least you know what you're getting. 

But you don't really. The 'religious' in positions of power almost always end up talking the talk but doing what suits them and their paymasters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I am a well off straight white male - entirely privileged in our society...

How does being a straight white male magically grant you privileges in society, please tell.

37 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Those same businesses would have given the same money to the Labor party and they'd have made exactly the same decisions had they been in power.

Exactly. Politicians don't act altruistically, they go where the money and power is, religion is an afterthought to be wheeled out when its useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

But you don't really. The 'religious' in positions of power almost always end up talking the talk but doing what suits them and their paymasters. 

Perhaps. Two of the most powerful things on earth are religion and money. 

When you say 'paymasters' I assume you're talking about incredibly rich people who pay politicians to act in their favour? I wonder though, is this fundamentally wrong? Think about it, you have many views and opinions on what is right and wrong, so imagine if you found yourself on a pile of cash, I'm certain you would use that money if it meant you could sway a politician to act according to what YOU think is right.

So do you really have an issue with the system or is the real issue that you resent not being in a powerful position yourself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

True. But the ideology behind this is do fuck all because god will look after the elect and who cares about the rest. God told him it was OK not to care and to take the money.

That's stretching things way to far for my liking, but each to their own.

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Ya think? Let's see.

 Because of how little the previous mob did the current mob have to do very little to show an improvement. Years ago a mate of mine became the CEO of Don Smallgoods, at the time Dons owed $14B dollars, we asked him why he'd take on such a dead donkey and his reasoning was simple. "I don't have to save the company I just have to keep it operating and in three years if the company still owes $12B I look like I've achieved something." That is exactly what the current government will do.

But back to the original point of government members having religious beliefs. Pretty much every figurehead we've had has been a god fearing man of some sort and no doubt that faith has influenced them as people but to suggest god is telling them to make the actions they do is ignoring a lot of other factors, almost like blaming religion so as to defer the blame from the real reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, madmick666 said:

How does being a straight white male magically grant you privileges in society, please tell.

Not going to engage with this beyond saying I think I will stick to music and beer here in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not going to engage with this beyond saying I think I will stick to music and beer here in the future.

Oh I see, using your well-off straight white male privilege to shut down criticism? ;)

I'm a well-off straight while male and everything I have, I worked for. I came from housing commission, surrounded by druggos and every one of my friend circle from when I was young have now been to prison and do drugs of some sort to this day.

So when I hear someone like you diminish what you are because a few losers cry foul over their life circumstances, it pisses me off. 

No one chooses the circumstances they are born in but you sure as hell can choose what you do with your life. You clearly have chosen well and worked hard, don't let anyone tell you that its a privilege to be where you are, you earned it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not going to engage with this beyond saying I think I will stick to music and beer here in the future.

I try to avoid these kinds of threads myself, because it's usually for the best. Only reason I popped in was because I found that one statement to be so over the top I couldn't help myself...but I should have known better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I try to avoid these kinds of threads myself, because it's usually for the best. Only reason I popped in was because I found that one statement to be so over the top I couldn't help myself...but I should have known better

haha yeah when I saw the discussion on here I was surprised. But, the door was opened so I thought it would be fun to add my two cents with the feeling that someone at some point would regret starting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...