Who was baptized?

hrabia

Sometime in my mid teens, I was raised on the nutty side of Christianity and was frequently exposed to group hypnosis/mind control. I was on and off trying to be a true believer and at some point volunteered to be baptized, the whole church was singing in tongues and prophesizing what a great evangelist I was going to be. They tried to get me to be washed by the holy spirit but it never worked, they figured I was demon possessed because I loved Heavy Metal and tried casting the demons out of me, they never got cast out. 

On 9/26/2021 at 3:32 AM, Sardonicist said:

Sometime in my mid teens, I was raised on the nutty side of Christianity and was frequently exposed to group hypnosis/mind control. I was on and off trying to be a true believer and at some point volunteered to be baptized, the whole church was singing in tongues and prophesizing what a great evangelist I was going to be. They tried to get me to be washed by the holy spirit but it never worked, they figured I was demon possessed because I loved Heavy Metal and tried casting the demons out of me, they never got cast out. 

Oh dear. Thats so bad. what happened to you would  put me off going. 

whole church singing in tongues sounds bit weird to me. i can imagine that being in a horror movie. 😁

in my old church the vicar was a big heavy metal fan, he liked motorhead alot. he never played it at the service but i always thought it was cool to mention it now and again in the services.

yeah sounds bit rubbish the congregation thinking your demon possessed just because you like metal. id be in trouble if i went to your old church as alot of the time i wear all black when going to church with heavy metal t shirt of course. id get the cast the demons out treat ment. 😁

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Add another to the list. I was raised on the nuttier side as well but nothing like @Sardonicist. Adventist/Southern Baptist during the Satanic Panic. I remember watching all the propaganda against heavy metal and supposed Satanists and ended up thinking that they were way cooler than the total douchebags I saw in church. I bailed on the cult when I was old enough to be independent of my parents requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 5:40 AM, Dead1 said:

I was baptised to appease my various Catholic relatives and a political "just in case" (I am Yugoslav) despite both of my parents being atheists!

I reckon people should be free to believe what they want. I'm not a fan of religious people wanting all to be like them and being pushy in pushing there view point. I also don't like non faith people wanting everyone to be like them too. My brother's friend is like that. Does my head in. I reckon Live and let live re this. 

Being baptised to appease family members is bit crazy imo so yeah what a waste if it's not for you. Some people eh 😁

I remember back in 1990 people trying to suggest that I should probably get my daughter baptized "just in case" and I was like "Just in case of what??" I shut that shit right down. But then 6 months after my wife and I had separated she let her mom talk her into having the baby baptized in the Greek Orthodox church on her 1st birthday. I of course did not attend.

57 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I reckon people should be free to believe what they want. I'm not a fan of religious people wanting all to be like them and being pushy in pushing there view point. I also don't like non faith people wanting everyone to be like them too. My brother's friend is like that. Does my head in. I reckon Live and let live re this. 

Being baptised to appease family members is bit crazy imo so yeah what a waste if it's not for you. Some people eh 😁

Really not trying to pick a fight with you Doomie, but I don't think it's a matter of us "non faith people" wanting everyone to be like us. It's more like we just don't understand how stupid and gullible one would actually have to be to belive in a supernatural sky fairy. There are 4,000 separate recognized religions in the world each one more idiotic and nonsensical than the next. That's what does my head in, that so many people think their (not there) religion is the lone exception to all this nonsense.

You'd think that here in the 21st century we'd have long ago outgrown and moved past all this god horseshit, like how my soon to be 8 year old is now starting to put two and two together and is coming to terms with the fact that there's not really a Santa Claus who lives at the north pole with flying fucking reindeer. I reckon anyone over 8 has no excuse.

Also I've held my tongue for months now and I honestly mean no offense, but since I'm on a roll here, the whole there-their-they're thing makes me mental. Please learn the difference people, I implore you.

Thank you, I feel better now that I've gotten all that off my chest.

I gave up talking with religious people about anything to do with their beliefs a while ago, I realized that I was just wasting my time trying to understand them in a way that they'd never reciprocate. A couple of the smartest people I know are deeply religious, and I wouldn't call them "gullible" in the ordinary sense of the word. I think more than anything else it speaks to the hold that personal identity has over people. They'd rather tie themselves and their worldview in knots than even seriously imagine reorienting themselves. Doesn't hurt that the big, "successful" religions have built all that doubt and self-torment into their practices along with the proselytizing impulse. They're good at getting people on-side and even better at keeping them there. I came to Western religion as an outsider and it's always seemed frankly wacky to me, and from my perspective it's also traumatizing - a hijacking of natural social understandings about hierarchy and loyalty, an imaginary abusive relationship enforced by pretty much everyone in your circle. I can't disrespect people for their beliefs under those circumstances but I do feel sorry for them.

46 minutes ago, Sardonicist said:

The problem is that atheism and secularism are no less corrupt, superstitious, manipulative and ridiculous than religion. 

The Human Brain Has been Getting Smaller Since the Stone Age

Your post makes absolutely no sense. How could atheism be manipulative or corrupt? You use the word "atheism" as if it were a set of beliefs or an organization like the catholic church or something. It's not. We are not an organization and we have no chapters, members, literature or beliefs. We don't have rituals or symbols, we hold nothing "sacred" we don't worship anything or anyone, we have no clergy and we don't recruit, evangelize, proselytize or congregate. We are not trying to trick, convert, save or manipulate anyone. We are not an alternate to religion. We are millions of totally separate and distinctly unique individuals who simply all happen to reject the silly supernatural concepts of gods, demons, salvation and theism, nothing more. We don't believe what you believe and we don't invent our own beliefs or deities to replace the ones we reject, we just have none, want none and need none. Don't need no religion, don't need no gods or higher powers. We don't need any of it. Amazes me that so many people can't seem to understand this basic idea.

51 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I can't disrespect people for their beliefs under those circumstances but I do feel sorry for them.

I don't automatically disrespect people for their beliefs either, but I don't feel sorry for them. As long as a person doesn't preach, as long as they don't force their thoughts on others, I couldn't care less if they believe snails are the higher being that guides them to righteousness. Hopefully one day they'll get what they seek and all will be good. Of course I live with the hope that they are wrong because I've stomped a lot of garden snails over the years, but I don't feel sorry for someone being wrong.

It's kind of like black metal fans, I don't disrespect them for their bad taste in music, and I don't feel sorry for them because they don't listen to thrash! :)

Just now, KillaKukumba said:

I don't automatically disrespect people for their beliefs either, but I don't feel sorry for them. As long as a person doesn't preach, as long as they don't force their thoughts on others, I couldn't care less if they believe snails are the higher being that guides them to righteousness. Hopefully one day they'll get what they seek and all will be good. Of course I live with the hope that they are wrong because I've stomped a lot of garden snails over the years, but I don't feel sorry for someone being wrong.

It's kind of like black metal fans, I don't disrespect them for their bad taste in music, and I don't feel sorry for them because they don't listen to thrash! :)

I think what you might be missing here sir is that most of us black metal fans do listen to thrash. 95% of it happens to be blackened thrash in my case, but that in no way makes it any less thrash than the 80's variety. I love a good thrash album, I grew up on thrash, or not "grew up" exactly because I was already 22 when Kill 'Em All came out but you know what I mean. I even made a whole list of my top 20 thrash albums over in the thrash section somewhere here just a few months ago. So don't feel sorry for me Killa, I'm the one who should feel sorry for those poor lost souls who have yet to discover the joys of black metal. I know you're old like me now Kuke, but it's never too late!!

I am 100% converted to atheism. 

This survival dream we call life is all lies and manipulation. Many plants and animals uses deception, especially humans.

Humans have to navigate advertising, education, news/political media, society and dating, none of this exists without deception. Without deception there is no economy. Millions of non religious people get permanently manipulated into falsehoods that cause years of suffering and death. 

Marketing companies sell superstitions to atheists. 

59 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Your post makes absolutely no sense. How could atheism be manipulative or corrupt? You use the word "atheism" as if it were a set of beliefs or an organization like the catholic church or something. It's not. We are not an organization and we have no chapters, members, literature or beliefs. We don't have rituals or symbols, we hold nothing "sacred" we don't worship anything or anyone, we have no clergy and we don't recruit, evangelize, proselytize or congregate. We are not trying to trick, convert, save or manipulate anyone. We are not an alternate to religion. We are millions of totally separate and distinctly unique individuals who simply all happen to reject the silly supernatural concepts of gods, demons, salvation and theism, nothing more. We don't believe what you believe and we don't invent our own beliefs or deities to replace the ones we reject, we just have none, want none and need none. Don't need no religion, don't need no gods or higher powers. We don't need any of it. Amazes me that so many people can't seem to understand this basic idea.

One does not convert to atheism. One either believes the fairy tales of god and religion or one does not.  Must be that "ism" suffix that confuses people.

The world can be a dangerous place, you need to keep your eyes open and your wits about you at all times. But what does any of that have to do with the fact that I don't believe in a god? Marketers are trying to sell shit to believers and non believers alike. How do you get from the obvious fact that deception exists in the world and non religious people get deceived and manipulated in life to atheism is manipulating people? 

46 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I think what you might be missing here sir is that most of us black metal fans do listen to thrash. 95% of it happens to be blackened thrash in my case, but that in no way makes it any less thrash than the 80's variety. I love a good thrash album, I grew up on thrash, or not "grew up" exactly because I was already 22 when Kill 'Em All came out but you know what I mean. I even made a whole list of my top 20 thrash albums over in the thrash section somewhere here just a few months ago. So don't feel sorry for me Killa, I'm the one who should feel sorry for those poor lost souls who have yet to discover the joys of black metal. I know you're old like me now Kuke, but it's never too late!!

To be fair I did say I didn't feel sorry for you :P

1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

To be fair I did say I didn't feel sorry for you :P

No, you said you didn't feel sorry for the black metal fans because they don't listen to thrash. But since I am a black metal fanatic who does listen to thrash, it was implicitly implied that now you can feel sorry for me. But don't. I have virtually unlimited amounts of black metal to fuel my id.

55 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I do. It sucks watching friends go through the wringer over what seems like it should be obvious brainwashing horseshit. Sucks even more when they're on board with it because they happened to grab the wrong lifeline at a low point in their life.

3 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I do. It sucks watching friends go through the wringer over what seems like it should be obvious brainwashing horseshit. Sucks even more when they're on board with it because they happened to grab the wrong lifeline at a low point in their life.

I realise we could be talking about different things here, sects, cults etc do sucker people in, but I don't consider them religious no matter what deity they look up to, they are just groups using a deity as an excuse to do what they do.  Generalised religion though is nothing to feel sorry about, belief, guidance, something to help a person face the day is totally between that person and their own mind, nothing to feel sorry about.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Not sure what you're getting at here :D

If I knew I wouldn't have had to type it :)

3 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm always getting in trouble for implying things I didn't know I was implying, so when I am god and you are all at my feet worshipping me I am going to make it a rule that people can't imply, implicitly or otherwise.

Message received supreme lord thrash master and kommander of the down under brigade. I shall make it a point to say things clearly and directly to you leaving no room for ambiguity or unintended implications either implicit or explicit. 

4 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I realise we could be talking about different things here, sects, cults etc do sucker people in, but I don't consider them religious no matter what deity they look up to, they are just groups using a deity as an excuse to do what they do.  Generalised religion though is nothing to feel sorry about, belief, guidance, something to help a person face the day is totally between that person and their own mind, nothing to feel sorry about.

The generalized big name brand religions are themselves groups (I prefer cults) using fictitious deities and fear of eternal hellfire as an excuse to sucker people in and do what they do. Why do you make this distinction?

I feel sorry for anyone who has been maliciously duped by any group for their own nefarious benefit no matter who the group may be. 

When people talk about religion and sky fairies I don't think cults etc. My mum believes in some imaginary sky fairy, she even goes to church occasionally. We've got friends who are even more religious to the point that she thinks her life changed direction when she discovered her god. None of these people preach, none of them tell me I should follow their lead. I have nothing to feel sorry for them for.