Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

Just made some Thai green curry with tofu and mixed vegetables. Rice on the side. I don't know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to tofu, but it's come out well the last few times - stir fried in coconut oil with salt, cumin, and garlic, until it turns a bit golden and crispy outside.

And those ribs sound interesting - Dr. Pepper, huh?

Just made some Thai green curry with tofu and mixed vegetables. Rice on the side. I don't know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to tofu, but it's come out well the last few times - stir fried in coconut oil with salt, cumin, and garlic, until it turns a bit golden and crispy outside.
I like tofu, so even though I wouldn't order it without meat at a restaurant, that sounds really good. I just got back from trying out a sushi place that had some pretty tasty looking Thai dishes on their menu, and since I likely won't be returning for their sushi, I'll have to try one of those if I ever end up there again. It was kind of a surreal dining experience because the restaurant was next door to Burt's Tiki Lounge, a shitty venue where I played many times and saw a great many shows within its dank walls that stank of piss. They closed it down a few years ago, and when I walked by on the way in and saw that the outside had been cleaned up, but there was no sign outside, I wondered what it was. When I got inside, I saw that they had blown out the wall between the two places and turned the old Burt's into their bar/lounge area. We ended up seated there, and although the interior was entirely revamped, they kept the layout exactly the same. It was weird being there and having so many memories flood back while I was eating, even though you would never know it was the same place at first glance because of the dramatic makeover.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Yeah. It comes out really tender. Probably the acid in the soda and the sugar blends really well with the barbecue sauce. We always slow cook these though, ive never tried it as a regular marinade for grilling.

Also green curry is awesome. Love me some thai food.

Yeah. It comes out really tender. Probably the acid in the soda and the sugar blends really well with the barbecue sauce. We always slow cook these though, ive never tried it as a regular marinade for grilling.
Also green curry is awesome. Love me some thai food.
My wife uses cola when she makes a pot roast too, I think it achieves the same thing. They usually turn out really well, so even though I don't drink soda, I can't argue with results.

10 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

My wife uses cola when she makes a pot roast too, I think it achieves the same thing. They usually turn out really well, so even though I don't drink soda, I can't argue with results.

Indeed. I do drink soda out of habit from when i quit smoking but im trying to limit it. 

3 hours ago, Ikard said:

For lunch im making a grilled cheese with muenster cheese and bacon. For dinner im having bbq beef with chili cheese tater tots and baked beans. Life is good.

Spoken like a true Texan. Are you a Texan? 

Tonight we're going out for Chinese in the local Chinese population hub. I love the whole experience, it reminds me of going to Hong Kong. I'm going to eat like a maniac. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Spoken like a true Texan. Are you a Texan? 

Tonight we're going out for Chinese in the local Chinese population hub. I love the whole experience, it reminds me of going to Hong Kong. I'm going to eat like a maniac. 

No i am an arizonan. But texas style barbecue is amazing. Also chinese food is delicious enjoy.

No i am an arizonan. But texas style barbecue is amazing. Also chinese food is delicious enjoy.
It's been a while since I've had good barbecue. When it's done right, it's hard to beat. We have a couple of good places here in town, but ever since my wife had her gallbladder removed, she's had a hard time eating really fatty meats. I usually only get to enjoy it when I'm on my own or out with a friend.

31 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's been a while since I've had good barbecue. When it's done right, it's hard to beat. We have a couple of good places here in town, but ever since my wife had her gallbladder removed, she's had a hard time eating really fatty meats. I usually only get to enjoy it when I'm on my own or out with a friend.

Come visit, friend. We will grill up meats of all kinds.

You know upon posting that i realized it could be taken out of context. Lol

Come visit, friend. We will grill up meats of all kinds.
You know upon posting that i realized it could be taken out of context. Lol
That could have easily been a Hannibal Lector "I'm having a friend for dinner" type of comment. I'm only about 700 miles from Phoenix, but I hate the heat, so I tend to avoid the desert. I have family in Las Vegas though, so I end up in the desert heat more than I would like...

1 minute ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That could have easily been a Hannibal Lector "I'm having a friend for dinner" type of comment. I'm only about 700 miles from Phoenix, but I hate the heat, so I tend to avoid the desert. I have family in Las Vegas though, so I end up in the desert heat more than I would like...

I agree man, i moved here from the east bay area like 5 years ago. Ive gotten pretty used to summer, but its still pretty ugly. Youre in Utah if im remembering correctly?

2 hours ago, Ikard said:

I'd love to visit Arizona one day. I did the LA to Vegas drive once and those deserts are amazing, so going on to Arizona and New Mexico would be great. I like the idea of being a cowboy and I really want to visit Tombstone in New Mexico one day. And of course, eating genuine barbecue - something that, as far as I know, isn't really available in Australia. Not in the proper, US style at least. 

33 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I'd love to visit Arizona one day. I did the LA to Vegas drive once and those deserts are amazing, so going on to Arizona and New Mexico would be great. I like the idea of being a cowboy and I really want to visit Tombstone in New Mexico one day. And of course, eating genuine barbecue - something that, as far as I know, isn't really available in Australia. Not in the proper, US style at least. 

Well, if youre ever in town let me know. Ill make sure you hit all the right places to eat. Arizona is best known for killer mexican food. Additionally the Phoenix area has quite the restaurant scene of all different types.

2 minutes ago, Ikard said:

Well, if youre ever in town let me know. Ill make sure you hit all the right places to eat. Arizona is best known for killer mexican food. Additionally the Phoenix area has quite the restaurant scene of all different types.

My sister and her husband are obsessed with Mexican food in California. It's pretty good, but I don't really get the fascination that some Americans have with it. My sister had these taco stations at her wedding in San Diego and all night I thought the fish tacos were chicken. It was only the next day that someone told me. I'm like, "This chicken is pretty dry". 

I'll have to try some of your recommendations next time I swing through the 'Zona. 

21 minutes ago, Requiem said:

My sister and her husband are obsessed with Mexican food in California. It's pretty good, but I don't really get the fascination that some Americans have with it. My sister had these taco stations at her wedding in San Diego and all night I thought the fish tacos were chicken. It was only the next day that someone told me. I'm like, "This chicken is pretty dry". 

I'll have to try some of your recommendations next time I swing through the 'Zona. 

My guess in regards to American obsession with Mexican cuisine stems from an otherwise typically bland diet. Mexican food is spicy and involves a lot of exciting flavors which are a far cry from the "meat and potatoes" archetype that is often associated with American culture. 

Interestingly enough we are also featuring a taco bar at our wedding; although, our meats are going to be beef chicken and pork.

5 hours ago, Ikard said:

My guess in regards to American obsession with Mexican cuisine stems from an otherwise typically bland diet. Mexican food is spicy and involves a lot of exciting flavors which are a far cry from the "meat and potatoes" archetype that is often associated with American culture. 

Interestingly enough we are also featuring a taco bar at our wedding; although, our meats are going to be beef chicken and pork.

Firstly congratulations. I’m sure your chicken won’t taste like fish.

I love travelling to the US for fast food. It’s something your country does so well. The Countess Requiem can’t understand it, but I’m always excited by in n out burger and the like. 

Our Chinese meal was not brilliant by the way. 

I agree man, i moved here from the east bay area like 5 years ago. Ive gotten pretty used to summer, but its still pretty ugly. Youre in Utah if im remembering correctly?
Yep, born and raised in SLC. I would welcome anyone to visit, but I don't know why anyone would be motivated to do so.

That, plus our ever increasing Mexican population seems to be the key. Mexican food is flavorful, easy enough to make, and pretty inexpensive, so I don't see why it wouldn't assimilate into our diets with the cultural proximity. I have a slight preference toward South American food, but Mexican food is awesome, one of the few styles of food I could eat every day.

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Firstly congratulations. I’m sure your chicken won’t taste like fish.

I love travelling to the US for fast food. It’s something your country does so well. The Countess Requiem can’t understand it, but I’m always excited by in n out burger and the like. 

Our Chinese meal was not brilliant by the way. 

I can understand that. When i travel anywhere i try to eat what that place is known for. If i went to Vietnam i would eat pho, if i went to thailand i would eat tom kha and so on. We are known for fast food the world over.

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Yep, born and raised in SLC. I would welcome anyone to visit, but I don't know why anyone would be motivated to do so.

Because I dig meeting people and also it has been eons since ive been to utah.