Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

Burger. It turned out well. One of my friends (who is a chef) praised a particular restaurant's burger years ago by saying "that burger... I would fuck that burger. Like, I would have sex with that burger."I wouldn't do it, but I know what he meant. This burger wasn't quite that good, but it was pretty fucking good, and nothing makes me happy like a good burger. Bacon, cheddar, BBQ sauce, fried pickles, and lettuce. Fries were alright, not revelatory. Beer was satisfactory. My son is a nutcase and drew the ire of a miserable-seeming old woman across the aisle from us. In turn, this made my wife upset, which made it something I had to care about. I'm really lucky to have had such a tasty meal, and I appreciate every opportunity that I get to eat well, but the family dinner dynamic is getting a little bit old. We need a babysitter. 

12 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

After driving back and unpacking, only having time to heat up some frozen bullshit, you assholes are making me drool. That all sounds outstanding.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

After those sly hints about the scrumptious meals you were having in Vegas? We need details, not drooling assholes! :D

12 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: After driving back and unpacking, only having time to heat up some frozen bullshit, you assholes are making me drool. That all sounds outstanding.

After those sly hints about the scrumptious meals you were having in Vegas? We need details, not drooling assholes! [emoji3]

Hmm, sushi, tepanyaki, a brisket breakfast burrito, chile rellenos and tamales, some epic lobster mac and cheese from a food truck at first Friday, several slabs of grilled salmon, yeah, I guess it was a good week for food...

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Burger. It turned out well. One of my friends (who is a chef) praised a particular restaurant's burger years ago by saying "that burger... I would fuck that burger. Like, I would have sex with that burger."I wouldn't do it, but I know what he meant. This burger wasn't quite that good, but it was pretty fucking good, and nothing makes me happy like a good burger. Bacon, cheddar, BBQ sauce, fried pickles, and lettuce. Fries were alright, not revelatory. Beer was satisfactory. My son is a nutcase and drew the ire of a miserable-seeming old woman across the aisle from us. In turn, this made my wife upset, which made it something I had to care about. I'm really lucky to have had such a tasty meal, and I appreciate every opportunity that I get to eat well, but the family dinner dynamic is getting a little bit old. We need a babysitter. 

My children are usually pretty good when we eat out at restaurants, but they've ruined more meals at home that I can count due to epic tantrums etc. Thankfully they're getting to that age now (3 and 5) where they are holding it together a lot more and it's actually quite pleasant. My 5 year old, however, put me through 4 years of dinner hell... and not the cool black metal kind of hell, but the dropped plate onto the floor again screaming type of hell...

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said: Burger. It turned out well. One of my friends (who is a chef) praised a particular restaurant's burger years ago by saying "that burger... I would fuck that burger. Like, I would have sex with that burger."I wouldn't do it, but I know what he meant. This burger wasn't quite that good, but it was pretty fucking good, and nothing makes me happy like a good burger. Bacon, cheddar, BBQ sauce, fried pickles, and lettuce. Fries were alright, not revelatory. Beer was satisfactory. My son is a nutcase and drew the ire of a miserable-seeming old woman across the aisle from us. In turn, this made my wife upset, which made it something I had to care about. I'm really lucky to have had such a tasty meal, and I appreciate every opportunity that I get to eat well, but the family dinner dynamic is getting a little bit old. We need a babysitter. 

My children are usually pretty good when we eat out at restaurants, but they've ruined more meals at home that I can count due to epic tantrums etc. Thankfully they're getting to that age now (3 and 5) where they are holding it together a lot more and it's actually quite pleasant. My 5 year old, however, put me through 4 years of dinner hell... and not the cool black metal kind of hell, but the dropped plate onto the floor again screaming type of hell...

My three year old hasn't done that to me since she was closer to her sister's age. That one and a half to two year range is awful, especially when they're teething. I'm always told though that my oldest is absurdly well behaved and polite. I know that she's perfect, but I'm biased, so it's nice to hear from others. My one year old, however, feels the need to torment me the way any hellspawn shat out of the abyss should. Don't get me wrong, she's also perfect and I love her every bit as much as her sister, but she's constantly testing me. I'm sure that it's more of a learning experience for me than anyone.

My son just has a ton of energy and doesn't know how to sit still. He doesn't usually want to eat what we eat and we can't get him to sit at the table, so meals these days are usually haphazard affairs full of interpersonal drama. For instance, he just now looped the ties for a full trash bag around his leg and started scooting it towards his room, while stuffing his face with a chocolate croissant, and when we told him to stop he just kept going for it with a big grin on his face.

I made myself hash browns and three eggs over medium topped with salsa, and my wife just came home with a big ham and cheese pastry for me, so I may have to hire people to roll me back into bed after I'm done here. There isn't enough coffee in the world to make me feel alert right now.

My son just has a ton of energy and doesn't know how to sit still. He doesn't usually want to eat what we eat and we can't get him to sit at the table, so meals these days are usually haphazard affairs full of interpersonal drama. For instance, he just now looped the ties for a full trash bag around his leg and started scooting it towards his room, while stuffing his face with a chocolate croissant, and when we told him to stop he just kept going for it with a big grin on his face.

I made myself hash browns and three eggs over medium topped with salsa, and my wife just came home with a big ham and cheese pastry for me, so I may have to hire people to roll me back into bed after I'm done here. There isn't enough coffee in the world to make me feel alert right now.

That's a pretty great mental image for those reading about it though, haha! Sounds like a handful. I love big breakfasts, even if they do make you drowsy! That's the best time of the day to have a bit meal, you've got the whole day to work it off.

16 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That's a pretty great mental image for those reading about it though, haha! Sounds like a handful. I love big breakfasts, even if they do make you drowsy! That's the best time of the day to have a bit meal, you've got the whole day to work it off.

Indeed, I just went for an 18 mile bike ride and now I'm finally getting around to lunch. We desperately need to clean the kitchen and go grocery shopping, which is why we've eaten at restaurants more than usual lately, but I'm not complaining now - I stopped in at an awesome Vietnamese place across from the public library. Waiting for a big bowl of noodle soup with several kinds of meat. I usually get the pho, but I felt like exploring the menu.

Update: it showed up and I finished it. Managed to take a photo before the lower portions of my brain took over. We're looking at noodle soup with shrimp, squid, pork, tofu, and egg as well as fresh tomato, cilantro, and Thai basil, with a side of shrimp fresh rolls. I honestly feel like I could eat another helping of everything. Yaaarrrrr.

2017-07-09 17.05.51.jpg

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It was awesome. Looking at the photo makes me want to go back for more. The pho is classic, thin slices of rare beef in amazing broth... Oh boy, I need second lunch.

That's great. I simply love Vietnamese. We have a pretty big Vietnamese community here in Melbourne and we always used to head in to the Vietnamese restaurants and go crazy. The pho trend is all over this city by the way. I love living in Melbourne but god we can be a trendy lot sometimes...

I can empathise regarding your son's antics. We brought in a rewards chart where the kids could put their own stickers on the corresponding good behaviours at the end of the day. I thought I'd never be one of 'those' types of parents, but then reality hit and I had to face some practicalities hahaha. Anyway, it sort of worked. Both kids had Frozen (as in the movie, not the Sentenced album) rewards charts with things like, "Staying at the dinner table" and "Bath and Bed" and "Sharing and Politeness". Plus the usual "no dessert" lines when they're not into sitting down at dinner. They're all pretty good now, especially our five year old who has really matured lately. 

ANYWAY, let's get back to food. Last night the Countess of Blasphemic Iniquity cooked and presented to me, the love of her life, a roast chicken (cooked with a lemon inside it and a soy sauce rub), roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, capsicum (red bell peppers) with gravy over everything. For dessert we had a self-saucing lemon pudding with vanilla ice-cream. My youngest vampire thought the pudding was too lemony, so I had her's as well. It was exquisite. Usually she makes a self-saucing chocolate pudding with our roast dinners, and I was at first skeptical of this lemon concept, but I strenuously approved as I was eating it. 

Edit: This looks like some sort of 1950s style chauvinism on my part, but my wife is an amazing cook and I tend to relegate myself to scullery dude. 

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said: It was awesome. Looking at the photo makes me want to go back for more. The pho is classic, thin slices of rare beef in amazing broth... Oh boy, I need second lunch.

That's great. I simply love Vietnamese. We have a pretty big Vietnamese community here in Melbourne and we always used to head in to the Vietnamese restaurants and go crazy. The pho trend is all over this city by the way. I love living in Melbourne but god we can be a trendy lot sometimes...

I can empathise regarding your son's antics. We brought in a rewards chart where the kids could put their own stickers on the corresponding good behaviours at the end of the day. I thought I'd never be one of 'those' types of parents, but then reality hit and I had to face some practicalities hahaha. Anyway, it sort of worked. Both kids had Frozen (as in the movie, not the Sentenced album) rewards charts with things like, "Staying at the dinner table" and "Bath and Bed" and "Sharing and Politeness". Plus the usual "no dessert" lines when they're not into sitting down at dinner. They're all pretty good now, especially our five year old who has really matured lately. 

ANYWAY, let's get back to food. Last night the Countess of Blasphemic Iniquity cooked and presented to me, the love of her life, a roast chicken (cooked with a lemon inside it and a soy sauce rub), roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, capsicum (red bell peppers) with gravy over everything. For dessert we had a self-saucing lemon pudding with vanilla ice-cream. My youngest vampire thought the pudding was too lemony, so I had her's as well. It was exquisite. Usually she makes a self-saucing chocolate pudding with our roast dinners, and I was at first skeptical of this lemon concept, but I strenuously approved as I was eating it. 

Edit: This looks like some sort of 1950s style chauvinism on my part, but my wife is an amazing cook and I tend to relegate myself to scullery dude. 

It does have a bit of that tone. Now I'm imagining you with a Hispanic accent, shouting "countess, joo got some esplaining to do!".

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

The vast majority of the Asian population in Lowell is Cambodian. Apparently the people who run Viet Thai Restaurant are actually Vietnamese, but I don't know if there's a large community in the city. Anyway, the food is really good and (as far as I can tell) authentic, and the place is completely unassuming. There was a common trendy theme to the decor, music, employee clothing, what-have-you at a lot of "pan-Asian" spots in NYC, and that's thankfully absent here. It's best described as "casual", I guess? 

I really hate coming down on my son for acting the way he does, because most of the time he's just trying to play with us and he doesn't understand that it's not play time. I think the best thing we can do for him is start really sticking to a routine - tough for me and my wife both, even at the best of times. Stickers might help, no joke. He was kind of intolerable today; he had a bit of a reactor breach at the grocery store, and he was being a real shit about dinner until we finally convinced him to sit down and put the food in his face. Tonight we had a late, light meal: brie on fresh baguette with some summer sausage and a few strawberries - the "what can we do without cooking" special. We both really enjoy cooking, but we're not great about the dishes, especially when we're stretched thin. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The vast majority of the Asian population in Lowell is Cambodian. Apparently the people who run Viet Thai Restaurant are actually Vietnamese, but I don't know if there's a large community in the city. Anyway, the food is really good and (as far as I can tell) authentic, and the place is completely unassuming. There was a common trendy theme to the decor, music, employee clothing, what-have-you at a lot of "pan-Asian" spots in NYC, and that's thankfully absent here. It's best described as "casual", I guess? 

I really hate coming down on my son for acting the way he does, because most of the time he's just trying to play with us and he doesn't understand that it's not play time. I think the best thing we can do for him is start really sticking to a routine - tough for me and my wife both, even at the best of times. Stickers might help, no joke. He was kind of intolerable today; he had a bit of a reactor breach at the grocery store, and he was being a real shit about dinner until we finally convinced him to sit down and put the food in his face. Tonight we had a late, light meal: brie on fresh baguette with some summer sausage and a few strawberries - the "what can we do without cooking" special. We both really enjoy cooking, but we're not great about the dishes, especially when we're stretched thin. 

Yeah, the dishes are the (storm of the kitchen's) bane of my life. The dishwasher is a good friend of mine so I'm usually only washing non-dishwasher friendly items, but thy still mount up. 

Your son sounds like a candidate for a rewards chart. It helps them feel a sense of accomplishment too when they accumulate enough stickers to get a dinky little toy. They're sort of in control of their own successes and it gives a tangible reality to good behaviour rather than just my "don't do that" and "be careful" catch-phrases, which are obviously meaningless to young children. 

My, aren't we all grown up, talking about raising children like a couple of real dads! Next we'll be discussing tax incentives and golf clubs...

Bratwurst with cheese 

On 7/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, Requiem said:

Yeah, the dishes are the (storm of the kitchen's) bane of my life. The dishwasher is a good friend of mine so I'm usually only washing non-dishwasher friendly items, but thy still mount up. 

Your son sounds like a candidate for a rewards chart. It helps them feel a sense of accomplishment too when they accumulate enough stickers to get a dinky little toy. They're sort of in control of their own successes and it gives a tangible reality to good behaviour rather than just my "don't do that" and "be careful" catch-phrases, which are obviously meaningless to young children. 

My, aren't we all grown up, talking about raising children like a couple of real dads! Next we'll be discussing tax incentives and golf clubs...

Just wait till your kids walk down the aisle 

Paella. More of the frozen stuff. I loaded it down with a bunch of harissa this time and it's fucking awesome.

I fucking love paella. There's only one Spanish restaurant in town I've found, and they'll make it, but you have to special order it at least a day in advance and they make it in a portion that's too big for us. Once when we ate there, someone didn't pick up their special order, so for that day they sold it as a menu item, and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I fucking love paella. There's only one Spanish restaurant in town I've found, and they'll make it, but you have to special order it at least a day in advance and they make it in a portion that's too big for us. Once when we ate there, someone didn't pick up their special order, so for that day they sold it as a menu item, and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

A day in advance? Well, shit, that had better be the best goddamn paella to ever have been yanked from the shining seas and glowing fields of Valencia... Seriously though, that makes at least some sense. I'd imagine it's not worth it to them to keep the necessary quantity of fresh ingredients around at all times just in case. 

I've been super hungry all day, and I'm currently eating carrots and corn chips with hummus.