Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

10 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

What's wrong with Tesco yeast extract.  It's fantastic. Your only jealous you can't import it.also you could get your kid to get some when he's in London. 😉

My son is a man of discernment and taste and would treat anything so unimaginatively named with the contempt it deserves. Also it looks nasty on that poor piece of toast.

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Crumpets, piklets and fruit toast where the three items that were often short on my orders when I used to deliver bread. Crumpets I'd take home, but when you're delivering 600 packets every few days it wasn't hard to make them disappear. But on a cold winter morning when the bulk truck from the bakery arrives at midnight and there is still steam in the bags of fruit toast, pinching a loaf and eating in the truck over the 10-12 hours on the road was nearly the ultimate perk of the job. Of course the ultimate perk was swapping a few loaves for a weeks supply of milk, or a chrissie ham.

Thief! I worked for a linen rental company and it was part of my job to catch the bozos who were giving away the company's stuff in return for free food. My superiors didn't look at lost merchandise as representing just the loss of the one-time rental price. They looked at it as losing the potential return they would have received for renting that item out weekly for the remainder of that item's lifespan. And this could be many hundreds of dollars for an item that rents for less than a dollar per week.

Yeah it was theft and trading bread for other goods was frowned upon, but never followed up on when it was only a crate here or a crate there. It was also mostly day old bread, we were the only bakery that returned day old bread from the stores, white and meal went to breadcrumbs the rest went to pig farmers. Farmers never paid a cent for what they took, they only had to ask for it in writing, and they could only take from a certain stack. But we (our depot) donated about 1000 loaves a week to schools, raffles, sausage sizzles etc and it was all day old, so no one was counting what actually went back to the bakery for crumbing.

If drivers were caught trading fresh bread they'd loose their job but no one ever lost their job for trading a few loaves of day old bread. We also got 4 loaves of white/meal per day as a standing order and if we wanted items like crumpets etc often we'd just order extra and minus it off the load as damaged stock. No one I know of ever got sacked for nicking a packet of hot piklets when the minused it off the store order. One driver (out of about 1300) did get sacked for nicking a packet of Hot Cross Buns one night instead of ordering his own but the unions took on his case and got him his job back, with a written warning that was worth nothing in the long run, and got the bakery to bow down to one packet a week per driver for the months they were delivered.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:50 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah it was theft and trading bread for other goods was frowned upon, but never followed up on when it was only a crate here or a crate there. It was also mostly day old bread, we were the only bakery that returned day old bread from the stores, white and meal went to breadcrumbs the rest went to pig farmers. Farmers never paid a cent for what they took, they only had to ask for it in writing, and they could only take from a certain stack. But we (our depot) donated about 1000 loaves a week to schools, raffles, sausage sizzles etc and it was all day old, so no one was counting what actually went back to the bakery for crumbing.

If drivers were caught trading fresh bread they'd loose their job but no one ever lost their job for trading a few loaves of day old bread. We also got 4 loaves of white/meal per day as a standing order and if we wanted items like crumpets etc often we'd just order extra and minus it off the load as damaged stock. No one I know of ever got sacked for nicking a packet of hot piklets when the minused it off the store order. One driver (out of about 1300) did get sacked for nicking a packet of Hot Cross Buns one night instead of ordering his own but the unions took on his case and got him his job back, with a written warning that was worth nothing in the long run, and got the bakery to bow down to one packet a week per driver for the months they were delivered.

I ate some of the food when I was working at a fast food restaurant. I was counting what was thrown into the bin. Ok it was wrong to do this as is stealing but management did not mind as it was only being thrown away anyway. Like in your case if I'd eaten a few fresh ones that were good enough to sell that was a sackable offence. No question. 

Every job has it's perks, some people take them too far but even taking a pen home from work is technically theft, but how many every get sacked for a pen? I've got a mate who used to deliver beer and he got 2 free slabs of beer (24 cans = slab) a week, he didn't have to take it, and they didn't remind workers they could, it was just a perk. Eating something I was supposed to be delivering was hardly going to be a crime, especially when I minused it off the shop order so they weren't charged for it.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The peanut butter and jelly monster: Dávila Ortiz, Rebeca: 9781671749245:  Amazon.com: Books

Well no Sweets, it's not quite the equivalent, pb&J sammies are something people pack in their kid's lunch. But I wouldn't eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich either. That's nasty, and it's basically just for kids. Don't remember eating very many of them even as a little kid, I ate luncheon meat sandwiches, turkey, salami, cheese, liverwurst and the like. Even my 8 year old doesn't ask for pb&j anymore. When he did he liked them deconstructed, peanut butter on one which he'd eat first, and then the jelly on the other. As an adult I don't have many uses for peanut butter, or jelly either for that matter, but I suppose as a toast topping either would be infinitely preferable to any fucking yeast extract. Seems our refined Doc doesn't like store brands, he holds out for the good stuff haha.

Cream Cheese Bagel - Belle Surf Cafe - Bagels in Lahaina, Maui

No, I believe our nearest American equivalent to yeast extract toast might be a bagel with cream cheese. Something my kid likes so I keep them in the house. But I don't eat much of myself because bagels are just carbs and I don't generally eat anything until well into the afternoon anyway. But if I were to eat a bagel, I'd have eggs and sausage and cheese on it, not cream cheese spread. 

But that's probably as close as we get 'cause Americans just don't generally eat lots of different junk 'on toast' like you Brits and the Commonwealthers seem to endlessly enjoy. We don't have crumpets either. There really is no direct equivalent to yeast extract toast here. Something I only know about because I used to make it for my Kiwi wife. She said I was the best at getting the exact right amount of her imported Marmite on there (not too much) and spreading it nice and evenly without ripping the bread. She had a hard time not ripping the bread.

But I'd never even heard about any of this yeast extract nonsense before I met her. Or maybe only in that song Land Down Under where the dude mentions vegemite sandwich. But I'd always assumed that it was some kind of veggie spread maybe mixed with cheese or something that you could make an actual sandwich out of. Never in a million years would I have guessed it was a tar-like salty yeast extract excrement.

So to answer your question Sweets, yes I have tried it. And after she died the two jars of that shit she had in the cabinet went straight into the bin.

Interesting re peanut butter sandwiches. Didn't realize it's more just for the kids snack in USA. I just have peanut butter out the jar. No bread no jelly. I'm a purist you see. 

Bagels. I dislike those as much as you dislike yeast extract I suspect. There just too carby and heavy and not a fun eating experience. More of a case of I need to finish this rather than it's so tasty there is not much left. My daughter's love eating bagels every day if they can. An amazing breakfast I had in Vegas was ruined by the extra bagels. That's all I can remember about one of the best breakfasts I've had.  

Well done for trying marmite. I'd recommend Tesco yeast extract as it's the best taste and value as far as I'm concerned. Excellent work getting the right amount on for your kiwi wife. If it's put on like jam then that's good for me. This is also reason I'm probably going to give it up. That amount of salt can't be good for me or anyone 

Re marmite I agree I think its bit weird. It's as far as I'm concerned bit like putting stock on toast. How's that standard.  I only eat it because my wife buys it. Sweets are what I go for, as you know 😉 

40 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Every job has it's perks, some people take them too far but even taking a pen home from work is technically theft, but how many every get sacked for a pen? I've got a mate who used to deliver beer and he got 2 free slabs of beer (24 cans = slab) a week, he didn't have to take it, and they didn't remind workers they could, it was just a perk. Eating something I was supposed to be delivering was hardly going to be a crime, especially when I minused it off the shop order so they weren't charged for it.

That's alot of beer. 48 cans a week.   I do forget some Aussies are super drinkers. I once drank 24 cans on the flight to New Zealand. My defense is it was a long flight 🤣✈️

At my work some people use the fuel card to fill up there own car but that is just stealing as far as I'm concerned. Last guy who got caught doing this was sacked. 

Yeah I can see that sort of think as sackable, if we ever got caught using the fuel cards for personal use we'd have been sacked too. Although if we'd asked the boss he'd always have said yes and deducted the cost from our wages. Same went for the trucks, if we needed them to move house or something the boss never charged us fuel money if we asked him before hand. I once moved 7 tonne of house bricks in the back of a bread truck between shifts. The health department would have had a fit if they'd known, we weren't even supposed to fill the trucks up with diesel or change a flat tyre during our shifts because they were food vehicles. But I had 7 tonne of bricks in the back and all I did was sweep the thing out when I was finished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, Thatguy said:

When I make a cheese and Vegemite toasty the Vegemite goes liquid. It could be done with a doughnut!

Okay time for credit where credit is due and Ol' Doc gets the points this time round.

I finally remembered to give a Vegemite and cheese toasty a go. Of course I used more cheese than was needed but turning both the cheese that didn't leak out of the bread and the Vegemite to a gooey liquid in the centre was superb.

Good recommendation Doc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

With being on medication my appetite is way, way smaller than it was, so tonight I just fancied a nice prawn cocktail.  

I made my own seafood sauce (some shop bought ones are okay, but I prefer to tweak it to my own taste) so I did the usual mix of tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, added some paprika, tabasco (a good dash as I like a bit of spice) and some cognac.

Coated the king prawns in the sauce and chilled them for a while, then served on a bed of romaine lettuce with cherry vine tomatoes and a liberal amount of spring onion.

It was really tasty and one of the (very few, these days) meals I could have eaten more of.

32 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

My appetite is the reason I'm a fat bastard. I can walk 10ks around the farm some days but I like food too much to loose any dramatic amounts of weight. I know I should cut down on meal sizes but that's not going to happen while I'm such a good fucking cook!!

Haha oh for sure man don't think my smaller appetite now is a regular thing, it's only medication related.  Prior to that I could chow down like a fucking behemoth.  

It's funny, because when you are a chef (as I was, I don't do that job any longer and haven't since the early 2000's) people think every meal you prepare/eat is some sophisticated, difficult to prepare, exotic and exciting plate of food, but I have always been most satisfied by the basics - a decent burger, a good pizza or something that someone is expert at making (even if its the only thing they can make proficiently, like a stew or meat with sauce).  

My go to comfort food is a decent Aberdeen Angus burger (they fucking rock, man) with supermarket spiced curly fries, and some grated cheese lashed on top - yes it really is that simple.  

When you are a chef and have worked in some pretty high-end establishments, often you don't want highbrow, snotty-nosed shit, you just want a good, simple dinner and I am one of those dudes, even now.  I mean, I appreciate talent and quality, but just some good stodgy food (with some good stodgy metal as the musical accompaniment!) is all I desire.

Despite my recent lack of appetite I am still a fat bastard, though, so I feel what you are saying! :D :D :D 

Simple things are often the best. When my kids were growing up I used to have a constant battle with one of them being a bit picky. I spent ages trying to find the right balance for her and more often than not it was the three or four ingredient type meals that she'd want again. I do a lot of Asian cooking these days and even I know some of them don't turn out the greatest but the wife and I are usually willing to try just about any creation.

The one thing I don't do, which goes against the whole bogan Aussie image, is BBQ's. I don't mind if someone else does one but I don't even own a BBQ now.

32 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

The one thing I don't do, which goes against the whole bogan Aussie image, is BBQ's. I don't mind if someone else does one but I don't even own a BBQ now.

BBQ is not worth the trouble I think. I do own a BBQ but haven't used it for more than 10 years and it just clutters up my deck and I will be getting rid of it when the opportunity presents.

My oldest and dearest friend though is BBQ mad and I'm happy to eat what he provides and to watch him move stuff about on the hot plates. He almost set himself and his house on fire a couple of years ago due to a leak from the gas line. There could have been a very ugly explosion. Another reason not to BBQ.

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

BBQ is not worth the trouble I think. I do own a BBQ but haven't used it for more than 10 years and it just clutters up my deck and I will be getting rid of it when the opportunity presents.

My oldest and dearest friend though is BBQ mad and I'm happy to eat what he provides and to watch him move stuff about on the hot plates. He almost set himself and his house on fire a couple of years ago due to a leak from the gas line. There could have been a very ugly explosion. Another reason not to BBQ.

It's worth the trouble if you're a meat lover. And it's really not that much trouble compared to a lot of things you could be doing in the kitchen. Get the thing hot, throw the meat on the thing, flip the meat over, when it's cooked enough (hopefully while there's still a good amount of pink left in the center) take it off the thing let it rest a few minutes and then eat it. Want spuds or corn or asparagus or something wiff your meat just wrap it in tin foil with some butter salt pepper and chuck that on the hot thing too, easy peasy. You can get one of those touchless meat thermometers which takes most of the guess work out of getting the temp you desire. But if you're not a carnivore like me, then yeah it probably isn't worth the trouble to you.

DSC_0645.jpg

Now I've gone and made myself hungry. 8:10 pm here, probably time to go downstairs and make my shakshuka. I make my shakshuka with potatoes, uncased chorizo, diced tomatoes, some veggie stock and a ton of spicy southwestern spices. Then when it's reduced down to the right consistency I poach 4 eggs on top for 4 minutes, crumble some Cotija cheese over it, sprinkle some more hot sauce on it for good luck and Bob's your uncle. 

shakshuka+with+chorizo.jpg