Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Sounds like I have a plan for lunch today, although I'm terrible at making omelettes, most of the time it just turns out to be scrambled eggs

Scromlettes are where it's at man. There's almost no way to make a neatly folded textbook omelet without overlooking the eggs. I think that's stupid. Just pour the eggs in over your ingredients and stir it around with a rubber spatula for about 20 seconds and as soon as the eggs start to solidify they're done take 'em off. Nothing worse than overcooked eggs. I usually poach my eggs though because the runny yolk is the part I really crave. Don't actually give a shit about the albumin. 

Had Indian food for my one meal today. We ripped out my 150 year old plaster kitchen walls & ceiling this morning and then took a trip to Home Depot for cement board, self-leveler, thinset, grout and a cheap plastic laundry sink I can use to wash dishes until we finish building my new kitchen. On the way back I Googled restaurants nearby and I found a little Cafe fairly close to our route that supposedly had Indian food. Haven't had Indian food in quite awhile and it's my favorite so we crossed the river to Port Jervis to get some. I had a lamb curry with spinach it was delicious. Very pleased that I've finally located an Indian place up here in the wop wops. 

I'm just terrible at cooking omelettes, probably has a lot to do with not actually practising because in my mind I've decided it wont happen so it's easier just to scramble the eggs than figure it out. I'm usually a good cook, I'll try things until I get it right, I'll adapt things to my tastes (or those I'm cooking for), but I just give up on omelettes probably because I can use the same ingredients and still make a meal that tastes the same. I do remember making omelettes as a kid and I seem to remember being able to do it, but these days it just doesn't seem to happen.

I wish I'd had Indian food last night, the kids decided to take their parents to Hungry Jacks (Burger King). I used to deliver to the Hungry Jacks we went to, I know the owners and as far as fast food goes it's always been okay, bigger burgers, better tastes, a little more expensive. But last night it was fucking terrible. Over cooked, cold, no ice in the drinks, too much salt on the fries, no salt on the nuggets. My kids are old enough these days that they don't do the Maccas/Hungry Jacks thing when they eat out with their friends, but it seems like they don't extend to same olive branch to their parents, although after last night they might think twice.

Did google fail me? I asked it if Americans knew what they were and it told me they did. Although maybe American's only know them as weetabix. They are actually trademarked here as weetabix too but most people drop the a in the middle Apparently now weetabix are owned by US company Post Holdings.

Apparently Weet-bix and Weetabix an two different products both invented by the same person. Weet-bix are the Aussie version invented in the 1920's and eventually sold to South Africa and New Zealand. Weetabix are a slightly different recipe the same guy sold to a UK company in the 1930's and they started exporting to the US and Canada. So the chances are he's never tasted a genuine one, let alone one that comes in a can of yippe beans.

12 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Sounds like I have a plan for lunch today, although I'm terrible at making omelettes, most of the time it just turns out to be scrambled eggs

Well stop fucking stirring it and it won't become scrambled 😄

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Scromlettes are where it's at man. There's almost no way to make a neatly folded textbook omelet without overlooking the eggs.

The trick is to fold it over as soon as the middle has solidified just slightly. The residual heat from folding them over will finish up the cooking.

Stirring it until it's scrambled is the angry after effect of it not folding properly :)

I can cook several fired eggs in a tilted wok full of fried rice, keeping both the rice and the egg separate until it's time to flip the eggs onto the rice and mix it in. But making a omelette is just too much effort!

7 hours ago, Sheol said:

Well stop fucking stirring it and it won't become scrambled 😄

The trick is to fold it over as soon as the middle has solidified just slightly. The residual heat from folding them over will finish up the cooking.

No, the trick is to make a scromlette because I really don't want the smooth symetrical overprocessed omelette. I scramble it up and I leave all the ingredients in big chunks, I like my eggs loose & rustic. In fact I happen to be starving this morning and I think I will go downstairs and make myself some eggs right now even though noon is a bit early for me to eat. I have no kitchen atm it's all been gutted, the old stove is out on the front lawn next to the dumpster waiting for a scrapper to come by and snag it. But I have bought an electric skillet recently and I have a brand new fridge full of ingredients out on the porch so I'm gonna give it a go. I'm thinking red peppers, mushrooms, spinach, feta, black olives and some type of sausages. Guess I'll have to heat up some beans too because I think I'm out of potatoes. WIsh I had some chorizo but I'll have to make do with what's on hand. I reckon the worst part's gonna be making my flat-white without a bloody sink nearby.

7 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Apparently Weet-bix and Weetabix an two different products both invented by the same person. Weet-bix are the Aussie version invented in the 1920's and eventually sold to South Africa and New Zealand. Weetabix are a slightly different recipe the same guy sold to a UK company in the 1930's and they started exporting to the US and Canada. So the chances are he's never tasted a genuine one, let alone one that comes in a can of yippe beans.

They're products made from a recipe. Fantastic, but that still doesn't give me the slightest whiff of a clue what the fuck they might be. 

I've never seen them, but I don't spend much time in the cereal aisle if I can help it 'cause I don't eat any of that shit. We do have 6,000 different varieties of sugary breakfast cereal though so it'd be easy to miss a few. Can't tell from the picture, what are they hard and crunchy? Or soft and chewy? They don't look very good so you can keep them. My question is why on earth would anyone want to put them or any kind of cereal for that matter inside a can of beans?? I see they're made by the same company that makes Marmite so they've gotta be shit.

15 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't eat breakfast cereal as a rule, but I have eaten the British weetabix, and of course the original and best Aussie weet-bix. Need I point out the innate superiority of the Aussie version...

Well they were invented for an Aussie market, so the original should be the best. They aren't just a breakfast food though, shit I've eaten them at midnight when I've forgotten to have dinner! Although I never bought into that competition Sanitarium tried to create with the "how many do you do" ads.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My question is why on earth would anyone want to put them or any kind of cereal for that matter inside a can of beans??

No one wants them, it was an April fools joke by a company in Adelaide.

• 2 weeks later...

No need for me to cook for the next few days, but I’m certainly contemplating what to make next week… Do I feel like chicken teriyaki or satay? Steak or burgers? I’ll have the house to myself for the week so for once don’t need to worry about what the rest of the family will or won’t eat

• 3 weeks later...