Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

On 3/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What's toffee?

I do the heating trick with water bottles. Freeze them solid then zap 'em for 2 minutes in the microwave which melts them just enough for me to drink some, and then I'll usually pour whatever's left of my last water bottle into the frozen one a little at a time and shake it up, which chills the water and helps melt the block of ice. For the longest time I'd just drink tap water in my ever present big black stainless steeel cup with lots of ice, but my well water has traces of radon in it so I've reluctantly given in to the silly bottled water trend.

I'm about to eat the roast beef sandwich I bought yesterday. I was on my way back from the deli with food for the guys and the kid and myself when I saw the fish & chips truck in the bakery parking lot was open for the first time this year. (they sell fish & chips every Friday from 3 til 7 but only in the nice weather) So I had to stop and get two, one for me one for the kid, (they've gone from $10 to $15 now this year unfortunately) and I figured I'd just save the sammies for today. Left them out overnight (just forgot) and then put them in the fridge this morning at the crack of 10am. That's 19 hours sitting on the counter and only 4 hours in the fridge, hope we don't get sick. I'll smell it first, if it smells alright I'm eating it. Going to see Overkill in PA tonight, don't want to be spewing all over everyone or have diarrhea in the bathroom of this place or anything.

Toffee is the same as taffy. Does this clear it up. There like starburst as there lemon flavor except alot more hard and brittle. 

Good idea re the frozen water trick. Nice cool water. Some of the customers at work don't drink the water because the pipes are lead. I will tell them to stop moaning as it's not got radon in it. 

Was overkill live good. James t from this forum saw them a few days back. He said they played  amazing show. How was beef sandwich. Did you eat it?

I'm seeing magnum next week. There a  British rock band .  I'm assuming you've never heard of them.  Fantasy themes. Cool album covers. Some very catchy songs including vigilante, story tellers night 🌃 

43 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Toffee is the same as taffy. Does this clear it up. There like starburst as there lemon flavor except alot more hard and brittle. 

I actually do have a vague idea what toffee is, I believe I've had ice cream that had toffee pieces in it once or twice some years back. But as I recall it was not lemon flavored. Don't think I've ever had any taffy. When it comes to candy and desserts and such I really only care about them if they have chocolate, specifically dark chocolate. I really don't fuck with any of the rest of that sweet shit, other than maybe a piece of cheesecake every few years if I'm out at a nice restaurant or something. There are lots of different kinds of candy and confections that I've heard of but never actually tried because they weren't chocolate. I try hard not to eat too much in the way of sugar these days as I don't want to be a fat slob and also sugar is known to have a causational relationship with cancer and diabetes, both of which I would like to avoid. 

Good idea re the frozen water trick. Nice cool water. Some of the customers at work don't drink the water because the pipes are lead. I will tell them to stop moaning as it's not got radon in it. 

All the water up here around the area where I live apparently has traces of radon in it. They had this well tested in 2020 right before I bought the place and the radon was was double the limit. I had a remediation system put in which is basically just a water softener with salt, but it's not working properly atm. The pipes froze several times over this past frigid winter and I'll have to have my plumber fix it when we get around to sorting out the cellar. In the meantime I've basically gotten used to drinking the bottled water.

Was Overkill live good? James T from this forum saw them a few days back. He said they played an amazing show.

Yeah man of course they were good, they're fucking OVERKILL!! Even with the stand-in lead guitar player (Phil Demmel from the bay area thrash band Vio-lence) I totally enjoyed the show. I'd seen them before lots of times back in the 80's but before Saturday night I hadn't seen them in 16 years. Fuck, Bobby's starting to look pretty damn old at 62. Doesn't look nearly as old as 60 year old Mustaine though. He's still fairly fit for an old man and he can still hit most of the high notes but the wrinkles around the visage give his age away. There certainly were a lot of older dudes there. Not quite as old as my friend and me mostly, but there were a ton of dudes in their mid to late 40's I would say and quite a few 50-somethings sprinkled in as well. Surprisingly few 20-somethings and very few women. Don't think I've ever been to a show with that few females in attendance. I guess that's because while young dudes like to bring their girlfriends along, the older dudes are usually more than happy to leave their wives at home. Being that Stroudsburg is so close to Jersey and being the last night of the mini-tour all their old NJ/NY friends and shit were there and they played an extra long 90 minute set. Played all the tunes you'd expect to hear and a few surprises and a couple I didn't recognize. I suppose there could have been more older dudes there, Boomers and grey-bearded pensioners or whatever standing way in the back, but I wouldn't know bc after Prong's set ended (we caught their last 4 songs) we sliced our way right down in front 2nd row back from the barricade dead center-stage right in front of Bobby. And this worked out pretty well bc I forgot my ear plugs and we were far enough underneath and behind the PA that we were mostly just getting the sound off the stage. Loud but not uncomfortably loud, 2 days later now and my ears aren't even ringing.

Pretty active crowd for a bunch of old guys, my friend and I had to divide our attention between the circle pit pansies who kept slamming into our backs all night and shoving us into the people leaning against the barricade while always keeping an eye toward the sky so we could do our part to keep the crowd surfers aloft and avoid getting kicked in the head. I don't mind really, it's good fun and all but they really need to put a weight limit on that shit. If you're over 200 pounds you really shouldn't be crowd surfing and expecting random people who don't even see your fat ass coming to support your weight when you suddenly drop in on top of them from out of the blue. Back in the old days stage diving was way better because they'd jump off the stage into the crowd and you could at least see them coming as you watched the band. Big dudes knew not to stage dive because the crowd would just part like the red fucking sea and they'd hit the floor with a thump. Nowadays you can't ever get near the stage so these dudes have to get a boost up from the front edge of the pit to get up over everyone's heads and they just land on your shoulders or your head and then you have to get a hand on their hip and flip them over the people in front of you into the waiting arms of the security detail. There was this one little shirtless bald guy with glasses, must have been about 55 or so who kept crowd surfing which was making the substitute guitar player Phil laugh his ass off.

All the videos of the show I can find so far have shit sound but here was Hello From the Gutter and Rotten to the Core. (3/19/22) 

43 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

How was beef sandwich. Did you eat it?

I ate the fuck out of it bro, and while it was deffo not the best roast beef sammie I've ever had, it was fine and I did not feel ill or get sick or have the shits or anything.

I'm seeing Magnum next week. They're a British rock band. I'm assuming you've never heard of them. Fantasy themes. Cool album covers. Some very catchy songs including: Vigilante, Story Teller's Night 🌃 

Have fun dude. As it happens I have heard of Magnum and Storyteller's Night. I'm deffo not a fan myself as you might have guessed, and in fact I can't even get through a whole album of that girlie shit. But my late wife who was a bit younger than I am was into a lot of that hard rock, cock rock and traditional heavy metal type stuff with the high clean vocals: Whitesnake, Firehouse, LA Guns, Crue, Dio, Rainbow, Deep Purple that kind of shit. I remember when we bought that Magnum CD for her along with some other trad hm CD's after she had asked me to help her track down some of the lesser known 80's bands of that ilk. She discovered Savatage (whom she afectionaltely called Savvie) around that same time and I had to buy her like 6 of their CD's too. Fucking hate Savatage. 

Long Time Dying / In Union We Stand

They opened with Wrecking Crew

24 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Here I am, spiraling towards beer o' clock and somewhat reluctantly looking forward to hot dog night.

Totally none of my business of course but is 'hot dog night' some kind of code that you guys use for 'hide the weenie' when the kids are around? Or are you literally planning to serve hot dogs for your family's dinner?

20 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Long Time Dying / In Union We Stand

They opened with Wrecking Crew

Fantastic the concert was good for you. When I hear the singer I still think of the gingerbread man from Shrek. What do I know😉 it's good we all like different music

Magnum will be amazing I'm sure.  Obviously not your type of music. May end up being me and a room full of screaming women lobbing knickers on the stage🤮. I hope not 🍀 not heard of savvy. Sound terrible 😊

That's fantastic youve survived the beef sarnie. My daughter ate play doh on the sly and she was🤮 all day. Kids😞

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Totally none of my business of course but is 'hot dog night' some kind of code that you guys use for 'hide the weenie' when the kids are around? Or are you literally planning to serve hot dogs for your family's dinner?

Unfortunately we've got another month or so of recovery before the balogna pony can ride down to the clam shack, but I'll make sure to update this thread with all the steamy details... For now, just actual hot dogs for dinner, hence my reluctance.

12 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Fantastic the concert was good for you. When I hear the singer I still think of the gingerbread man from Shrek. What do I know😉 it's good we all like different music

Magnum will be amazing I'm sure.  Obviously not your type of music. May end up being me and a room full of screaming women lobbing knickers on the stage🤮. I hope not 🍀 not heard of savvy. Sound terrible 😊

That's fantastic youve survived the beef sarnie. My daughter ate play doh on the sly and she was🤮 all day. Kids😞

All I'll say is try to hang on to your knickers big boy, and don't scream too loud. And don't even think about stage diving if you're over 15 stone, it wouldn't be fair to all the screaming women.

8 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Unfortunately we've got another month or so of recovery before the balogna pony can ride down to the clam shack, but I'll make sure to update this thread with all the steamy details... For now, just actual hot dogs for dinner, hence my reluctance.

I was just making a little joke FA. Very little apparently. We won't be needing any steamy details.

How's the baby doing, is she a good sleeper? Mama healing up nicely?

9 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

All I'll say is try to hang on to your knickers big boy, and don't scream too loud. And don't even think about stage diving if you're over 15 stone, it wouldn't be fair to all the screaming women.

And if you are 15 stone and want to stage dive aim for the screaming woman that most looks like a nurse, you're going to need one!

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I was just making a little joke FA. Very little apparently. We won't be needing any steamy details.

How's the baby doing, is she a good sleeper? Mama healing up nicely?

Aww. I was just responding in kind. No worries. They're both doing great, thanks. My little girl should be the champ of this thread with the amount she's consuming so far.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm lost for words😉 story of my life. tbh I left myself open for this. Im not going to lob anything on stage. The more I say this the more you won't believe me😂 yeah good advice re stage diving. After 12 whiskeys I may forget though. I'm not that heavy but enough to cause some damage. 

I've only been all the way out to P-town (the very tip) one time when I was just a kid. We used to rent a house in Dennisport (a third of the way down the shaft, closer to the base) for two weeks every summer in the 70's and all the grandparents would come join us. I remember there was a little clam shack/stand 2 blocks down from our rental by the beach at the end of the road where my dad and I would grab a basket of fried clams a few afernoons a week while we were there because they were so damn good, and we didn't know of any comparable clam shacks back on LI. Don't think I've ever had clams that good in the 50 years since, must've been the batter. Unless I've just built them up in my mind over the years to where I remember them as being better than they actually were. Man, I could sure go for some fried clams right now on a dreary Thursday night.

Cool that you have some of your shit hanging in a gallery at P-town though, makes me feel like I'm acquainted with an honest to goodness professional world renknowned artist. How much of a cut do they take if they sell one of your pieces?

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Cool that you have some of your shit hanging in a gallery at P-town though, makes me feel like I'm acquainted with an honest to goodness professional world renknowned artist. How much of a cut do they take if they sell one of your pieces?

50%. It sounds like a lot but it's in that neighborhood pretty much everywhere I've been... I still get what I feel is a fair price for my own work. I showed in a great place out here in Lowell that took less, but they also had a different business model, weren't as focused on selling art  and unfortunately folded a few years ago.

Quality fried clams are a quintessential New England summer treat. Fried seafood in general. Now I want a fisherman's platter... Kinda can't wait, after the next couple months I should be done with the current bit of work and my wife and daughter will be ready to go out. I need to get back to the ocean. There are a bunch of solid places around Cape Ann, way closer for us. Cape Cod traffic sucks!

Boston traffic sucks too. Not as bad as NY's though. I do remember sitting in the car for hours as we inched along barely moving because traffic was backed up for miles on the approach to the stupid little 4-lane Sagamore bridge. One might reasonably assume they'd have widened that shit out long ago by now, but nope.

Yeah my wife really wanted me to take her up to see a bit of Boston and do the Salem tourist thing, and I've always wanted to see Gloucestor Harbor where the fishing boats dock, maybe take a little whale watching cruise or something. I've been up 95 to Maine many times but I've never been out past Salem to Cape Ann.