Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

Grilled up some garlic burgers for lunch with no buns, one with cheddar and one with provolone, and had the extra tomato slices caprese style. [ATTACH]878[/ATTACH] Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Ooh, that sounds really yummy. One of my friends got me dinner last night, and we had elk burgers. My first time eating elk! It was delicious. Tonight I'm going to be making a big pot of shepherd's pie, with steak tips and beef, pearl onions, Parisian carrots, corn, maybe some other veggies, and beef broth thickened with gluten free flour. The gluten free stuff has tapioca in it and thickens broth much more smoothly than wheat flour, without affecting the flavor. Parmesan cheese crust on top of the mashed potatoes. I'm looking forward to this! Rest of my diet today has been insufficient: chicken sausage and some pecans, a bit of cheese, and an apple. Hungry hungry.

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

Ooh, that sounds really yummy. One of my friends got me dinner last night, and we had elk burgers. My first time eating elk! It was delicious. Tonight I'm going to be making a big pot of shepherd's pie, with steak tips and beef, pearl onions, Parisian carrots, corn, maybe some other veggies, and beef broth thickened with gluten free flour. The gluten free stuff has tapioca in it and thickens broth much more smoothly than wheat flour, without affecting the flavor. Parmesan cheese crust on top of the mashed potatoes. I'm looking forward to this! Rest of my diet today has been insufficient: chicken sausage and some pecans, a bit of cheese, and an apple. Hungry hungry.
I love elk, and definitely feel that game meat is delicious and underutilized. Since game is not farm raised, it tends to have more dense muscle fibers from existing in the wild, which are densely packed with flavor. In order to break this down, a longer/slower cooking and preparation process is needed, but it is well worth the wait. We used to deliver for a gourmet game/meat food provider that sold to the high end restaurants in town, and trying some of their food was mindblowing. My father in law met with them and said the elk steak they prepared for him was the 2nd best steak he'd ever had, hot on the heels of one he had at the top steak restaurant in Las Vegas (I forget the name). Damn dude, that shepherd's pie sounds awesome. I've only had it once before at a pub and loved it, and never made it myself. I'm great on the grill, but can't cook worth a shit. Now I'm thinking about food again, and I finished eating not long ago... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Now I want elk steak! Argh! I'm so so hungry. One of the most enjoyable steaks I've had was venison, when I took a trip with some college friends to upstate N.Y. One guy's family had a cabin up there and hunted for all of their meat. They made a really nice venison summer sausage, as well. I made this recipe for thanksgiving and I have to say it turned out awesome. I was sorry when I finished it. Last week I made a shepherd's pie with chili instead of beef stew - steak tips, ground beef, and a pound of beef kielbasa, black beans, kidney beans, corn, a couple large cans of whole peeled tomatoes, and liberal amounts of dried peppers ground up with cumin, garlic, rosemary, and coriander. It's pretty easy, just make a stew (preferably in an oven-safe pot), thicken it, let it set and cool. Make your mashed potatoes a little thin so they spread out nicely on top. Layer them, top it with some cheese or bread crumbs if you want, toss it in the oven around 375 for about 45 minutes, or till it browns. When I take mine out I usually finish it with basil and smoked paprika, though for the chili one I used tarragon, paprika, and cumin seed. Time to cook, fuck typing! :D

This is what I made. They are Lussekatten, a traditional food made during Lucia in Sweden. They are yeasty, buttery saffron buns made with little raisins studded in them. I made them to try something else, expand my horizons culturally, and it seemed like a fun thing to do today. I tried two of them, and sadly, bread does not agree with me any more and I got really sick about 30 minutes later and threw it all up. I just can't really tolerate or digest bread since I've been on Paleo almost a year now. They were tasty, though. These are not very sweet, but they are like french Brioche bread, with a saffron-buttery taste. The raisins at a little bit of sweet but not much as it's only 2 raisins on each end. Ingredients are: wheat flour butter milk yeast saffron raisins sugar, salt qvark (I substituted with creme fraiche) egg brushed on top. 6be6ab89-8275-4bef-b1c7-af203d784a3f_zps95c11434.jpg

This is what I made. They are Lussekatten, a traditional food made during Lucia in Sweden. They are yeasty, buttery saffron buns made with little raisins studded in them. I made them to try something else, expand my horizons culturally, and it seemed like a fun thing to do today. I tried two of them, and sadly, bread does not agree with me any more and I got really sick about 30 minutes later and threw it all up. I just can't really tolerate or digest bread since I've been on Paleo almost a year now. They were tasty, though. These are not very sweet, but they are like french Brioche bread, with a saffron-buttery taste. The raisins at a little bit of sweet but not much as it's only 2 raisins on each end. Ingredients are: wheat flour butter milk yeast saffron raisins sugar, salt qvark (I substituted with creme fraiche) egg brushed on top. 6be6ab89-8275-4bef-b1c7-af203d784a3f_zps95c11434.jpg
Looks good

Ahh shit' date=' you threw up? That sucks! Sorry to hear it. They look good. Did you just knead the dough all together and put them on a greased pan? What temp?[/quote'] Here's the directions from my Swedish instructor-slash-BFF-slash-business-partner Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add milk and heat up until 37C (body temperature, no warmer or you'll kill the yeast). crumple up the yeast into the milk. Stir until the yeast disolves. Add kvarg, saffron, sugar, salt and most of the flour. WOrk the dough until ir lets go from the edges of the container. Add more flour to taste. Put a cloth over it and let rise for 30 minutes. Make them to the shape we all know and love. Put them on a metal thingy-ma-wha in the oven. Let rise for another 20-30 minutes. Put the oven to 225 degrees. Whip the egg until fluffy (both white and yellow!) and use an egg brush to... eh.. glaze them. Put in the middle of the oven for 5-7 minutes. Cool under a kitchen towel.

Beef Shepherd's Pie Approximate! I like to do stuff by feel and proportion. This is a big recipe, designed to be baked in an 8qt pot (plenty of room left in the pot, but also plenty of food for a few days - worth the time and money). 8 qt pot, 12" frying pan, medium saucepan (for potatoes), spatula, knife Meat/Produce: 1 lb steak tips (or stew meat, but the steak tips are way better) 1 lb ground beef 1 quart broth (I like organic chicken broth, but had veggie broth this time and it was fine) 1 large yellow onion 4 celery stalks 1/2 lb frozen yellow corn 1/2 lb frozen peas *1 lb frozen pearl onions *1/2 lb frozen Parisian carrots (suck it Ghouly;)) 3 or 4 large brown or russet potatoes 1 cup milk 3 tablespoons yogurt maybe some butter Grated Parmesan cheese Gluten-free flour for thickening (regular flour is ok but the GF stuff works better!) -note: if you can't find the pearl onions or Parisian carrots, no big deal - just use one or two extra yellow onions and 4-6 medium-sized carrots. Fresh is better, I just used what I had. -second note - if you can't eat or find one of the veggies, no big deal. This is more about making a good stew with a good combination of flavors. Spices/Condiments: ketchup worcestershire sauce salt black pepper garlic cumin rosemary basil tarragon coriander paprika -note - again, do all of this to taste. If you don't dig it, don't use it, though you might be missing out. First step, pretty important. Brown the steak tips. They should be cut to around 1" - 1 1/2" cubes (around 3cm for you weirdos across the pond). I brown them in the stew pot (large flat bottom), but you can use a pan as long as you deglaze (which means getting some liquid in there afterwards to get the yummy burned stuff off the bottom of the pan - you dump this in the stew as well. Broth, wine, etc). Heat the pot or pan first, on medium high heat, with nothing in it. Once it's good and hot, put in 3 tablespoons of cooking oil (rice bran oil is a great high-heat oil). Then place your cubed steak in, leaving about 3/4" between the pieces. You'll probably have to do this twice to brown all your steak, but if you put them too close together or you don't have it hot enough, the pieces won't brown and the stew won't be quite as yummy. Once they're seared brown on one side, flip them over so they brown on the other. Cut up your fresh onions into 1" pieces - not finely chopped. Once all of the steak is browned, add a few tablespoons of ketchup to the pot, along with garlic, salt, and black pepper. You're making a kind of sauce. Let that cook for a minute, then add the fresh onions. Stir it all around and let them cook together in the bottom of the pot for a few minutes while you cook your ground beef in another pan. I added worcestershire, salt, and garlic to mine. stew1.jpg As your ground beef is finishing up, your onions should have cooked enough as well; from here on in you'll just be combining stuff to taste. Add the whole quart of broth to the pot that has your steak and onions, and give that a good stir to make sure nothing's stuck. Once your ground beef is all brown, dump that in the pot as well. Keep the heat on medium high. Leave the pan out - you're going to saute some of your veggies as well. Chop the celery into pieces around 1/4" thick, and if you're using fresh carrots, do the same for them. Once these are chopped, put them in the pan to cook for a few minutes before adding them to the pot. Once the liquid in the pot is around boiling, add your frozen veggies, and add whatever fresh veggies you've got left. This is when you'd start adding more spices as well - start with around a teaspoon each of cumin and rosemary (ground or whole), a bit less coriander (ground), garlic and salt to taste. Be liberal with the basil, but stingy with the tarragon. Take frequent tastes of the broth as you're doing this. The corn and carrots will add a really nice natural sweetness to the broth. -note: If the cumin/rosemary/coriander has made it a little too bitter, don't be afraid to add a bit more ketchup to counteract it. The ketchup is really important overall - you don't use much, but it makes the flavors pop. You can substitute a bit of tomato paste. Once this all starts to bubble again, and you like the way the broth tastes, cover it. At this point, turn the heat down to low - just let it simmer for a while. The longer the better. There will be enough stuff in there to just barely start rising above the level of the broth, and you don't want to lose too much liquid (don't worry if you do, you can always add more). It should look like a very chunky beef soup. stew2.jpg While that's simmering, boil enough water for three or four large brown or russet potatoes (they taste better). Once the water boils, put your potatoes in and leave them for a bit. Have a taste of the stew, and if you're satisfied with the flavor, it's time to thicken it. Sprinkle the flour on top of the stew a few tablespoons at a time, and mix it in while you're doing so. You do not want it to clump up. Mix after every addition, over the low heat, until it's reasonably stiff - you want it to take a while to settle, and no longer be runny. Don't go overboard. Once it's thickened and well-mixed, turn the heat off and let it set up for a bit. Start preheating your oven to around 400F. stew3.jpg

Beef Shepherd's Pie pt 2 Now, you make mashed potatoes. I leave the skins on. You've been boiling the shit out of the potatoes, until you can easily chop them in the pot with your spatula. Strain them, put them back in the saucepan, and mash them - I do it by hand. Add a couple pats of butter, a few tablespoons of yogurt, around a cup of milk, and a bit of garlic, salt, black pepper. Don't go overboard with the flavor - this is just a topping. To that end, add a little bit more liquid (broth, milk, even water) if you have to - you want the potatoes to be a little thin so they spread out nicely without damaging the layer of stew underneath. Be careful about this. Too thick and you'll have chunks of potato drowning in stew; too thin, might be a bit too wet and not get crispy. potatoes1.jpg Layer the potatoes carefully on top of the stew with a spatula. Try not to mix the layers together; spread the potatoes out evenly on top. Bring the topping to the edges of the pot. Sprinkle on some parmesan or whatever other cheese you like, maybe some bread crumbs - I used almond meal this time - and put it on the center rack of your preheated oven, at around 400F, for 45 minutes to an hour. stew4.jpg Take it out, let it cool, and dig in. Food for your family for days. Worth every penny and every second spent making it. stew5.jpg

All joking aside, that looks fucking tasty. One of the paleo tricks for subbing out mashed potatoes is Mashed cauliflower. Now if you don't like cauliflower to begin with you won't like this. For me I absolutely LOVE it. The best way to cook the cauliflower is to roast it in the oven. The bits that caramelize take on a nutty, almondy flavor. The other option is to microwave it in a glass bowl covered in saran wrap for maybe... 5-7 minutes until soft. What you don't want to do is steam or boil it, your result will come out watery. Once your roasted or microwaved cauliflower is very soft, put it through a food processor with a generous amount of butter, salt, a grate or two of nutmeg, and if you want a little extra tang, some yogurt or creme fraiche added will be nice. Puree until smooth. The result is creamy and rich, yet lighter than potato, and can be used in any situation you'd use mashed potato. While the dairy in it is not necessarily strict paleo, it's acceptable and is okay once in a while. The best part, super low carb!!! I really love the sound of this recipe Father and I want to try it (with no corn) and with cauliflower mash.