Satyricon

Atrocity

dark fairytale atmosphere. Yobo you are right' date=' Phoenix is a very interesting, beautiful song![/quote'] Not in the last due the albumcover :) And yeah, Phoenix is very nice. Also Our World It's Rumbling Tonight is a great song. The atmosphere in that song is very special.

They did about an hour and a half in Ljubljana' date=' the concert was in an ex movie theater so the place was really small, but they manged to put on a very good show, so I don't think you'll be disappointed :)[/quote'] That's great, I love it when bands are performing at a small venue instead of a big one. And I hope they really do, now that you've raisen my expectations of them :D

That's great, I love it when bands are performing at a small venue instead of a big one. And I hope they really do, now that you've raisen my expectations of them :D
So do I! I enjoy that friendly atmosphere! I always thought Satyr was a stuck-up dude but he was so nice, he was talking to us and thanking us for the support. The whole concert was great, Chthonic almost stole their evening :D oh and if you never heard of Chthonic, check them out, you might love them. :)

• 4 years later...

Four years is too long for no direct discussion of Satyricon in their own thread. I've been doing a lot of listening lately and feel ready to put my 23 year following of the band into perspective after first discovering the magic as a 15 year old in 1995. This band has divided opinion. Here is my divided opinion: 

Requiem's Ranking of Satyricon Albums from Abominations to Exaltations

9. Satyricon (2013)

I was open to this album. I loved the artwork prior to release;  it's probably their best album cover of the current era. It boded well. Woodland scene, pagan god/creature in a tree. Brilliant. But then you hear the intro track, with the weakest, lamest riff ever put to guitar. It's plucked out as if with a dead fish, and Satyr has about as much passion as one. God knows what Frost thinks about all this. His drumming here is the soft pitter-patter of infant feet in slippers on a deep carpet. Despite some people liking the clean vocal track 'Phoenix', I still sort of despise it. This is one of the lamest albums I've ever heard from a signed band. Great cover art though. 

8. Rebel Extravaganza (1999)

This is an ok album that is significantly better than the lame duck above it. I still don't like it all that much though. At the time it came out I loved 'Tied in Bronze Chains', and still like it, but the rest of the album is a bit too modern sounding, and there just aren't enough hooks. Where are the hooks? That Moonfog guitar tone that every bloody band copied after this really isn't my thing, but I can live with it. Coming after 'Nemesis Divina' this was an outright tragedy. Cover art is curious and I don't hate it, but I wouldn't hang it on my wall. 

7. The Age of Nero (2008)

Pretty good, pretty dark. This is the fourth album in a row with the exact same guitar tone and style, and it's pretty boring by now, especially if you've waited years to hear a new Satyricon album. It just amazes me that Satyr sits down to write a new album, plugs his guitar in, steps on the same damn pedal and records any damn riff that comes out. They should be putting albums out every sixth months with this level of quality control. 'Commando' is a pretty good song. The cover art is really nice, with that crow. 

6. Now Diabolical (2006)

This is part of the quality slide, but overall it's a decent listen, if not brilliant. The title track and 'K.I.N.G' are great songs. But there's that guitar tone again. In fact, it's risible that it took four years between 'Volcano' and this. This is basically an album of single riffs, with hardly any overdubs or melodies. It's just riffs. Shouldn't take four years. Cover is pretty diabolical, now and then. 

5. Deep Calleth Upon Deep (2017)

I owe this album a massive apology. When I originally posted this list I had this back at number 8 and I really hammered it, but the truth is, this is actually a really exciting and quite hard-hitting album. I really hadn't listened to it with proper diligence. I started listening to it on youtube at work for some reason, and I'm now convinced. Much heavier than 'Satyricon', with a greater depth of layering and melody, this is a really good album. I'm buying it now for sure. 

4. Volcano (2002)

This is the best of the modern sounding Satyricon albums by miles. Songs like 'Repined Bastard Nation' and 'With Ravenous Hunger' are amazing. 'Fuel for Hatred' is one of the catchiest metal songs ever written. Go back and listen to it now, it's brilliant. The guitars sound phat and catchy, and there's a modern coolness that I really dig. If only they had left that style here, we'd have one brilliant band on our hands.  This should have been the final Satyricon album, and the evolution would have been complete. Alas... The snake album cover is a bit random, given the album's called 'Volcano', but it's pretty cool. 

3. Nemesis Divina (1996)

A stunning, meaningful album that, in conjunction with Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk', really signals the final moments of the transcendent Norwegian second wave. Obviously 'Mother North' is the highlight, and probably the best thing to ever happen to black metal, but the rest of this album is brilliant too. It's definitely a step away from the earlier albums, but gosh this works. Brilliant album cover and booklet. 

2. Dark Medieval Times (1993)

One of the best Norwegian black metal albums of all time, this is the sound of two young men in the throes of Euronymous worship, writing and performing as if the very forest itself were their muse. The feel that comes through on this album is of a special moment in time - the sense of history just pours from the speakers. This is quite a harsh album and they get better, but what we have here is a treasure and a delight. The album cover is rustic but very cool, and the back cover, with Satyr and Frost in the snow, framed with nekro-frames, remains iconic. 

1. The Shadowthrone (1994)

This is my favourite black metal album of all time, and also the first I ever bought, back in 1995. I read about this in a magazine, saw the photos and just had to have it. When the grim voice starts the album off, I damn near fainted, and history was set in motion. 'Hvite Krists Dod' is a stunning masterpiece. What amazes most, however, is the attention to detail here. The true passion. The acoustic guitar moments, the layered vocals, the keyboards that project the listener over the Norwegian forests, under a starry sky of loneliness and beauty. Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem - none have reached the standard of this. Put it in my coffin with me when I die. Haunting cover and booklet of fjords, forests, dark drawings. Faultless. 

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

Four years is too long for no direct discussion of Satyricon in their own thread. I've been doing a lot of listening lately and feel ready to put my 23 year following of the band into perspective after first discovering the magic as a 15 year old in 1995. This band has divided opinion. Here is my divided opinion: 

Requiem's Ranking of Satyricon Albums from Abominations to Exaltations

9. Satyricon (2013)

I was open to this album. I loved the artwork prior to release;  it's probably their best album cover of the current era. It boded well. Woodland scene, pagan god/creature in a tree. Brilliant. But then you hear the intro track, with the weakest, lamest riff ever put to guitar. It's plucked out as if with a dead fish, and Satyr has about as much passion as one. God knows what Frost thinks about all this. His drumming here is the soft pitter-patter of infant feet in slippers on a deep carpet. Despite some people liking the clean vocal track 'Phoenix', I still sort of despise it. This is one of the lamest albums I've ever heard from a signed band. Great cover art though. 

8. Deep Calleth Upon Deep (2017)

Toss a coin between this and the self-titled. This is the only album of theirs that I don't own. It's probably going to stay that way. I'm putting this one second last because I was listening to it today and there were parts that I actually enjoyed. The title track, for instance, is pretty cool. You still have to feel sorry for Satyr, who is so convinced of his genius that he is now naming his albums after how deep he thinks he is. Read some of the interviews. Some of the riffs are alright. Satyr's vocals have now been stuck in that montonal bark for  18 years now. Same sound, patterns. I'd say melodies, but there aren't any. It's just him barking. Cover art is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, and I don't care that it's an Edvard Munch sketch. It looks shite. What a farce this all is. 

7. Rebel Extravaganza (1999)

This is an ok album that is significantly better than the two lame ducks above it. I still don't like it all that much though. At the time it came out I loved 'Tied in Bronze Chains', and still like it, but the rest of the album is a bit too modern sounding, and there just aren't enough hooks. Where are the hooks? That Moonfog guitar tone that every bloody band copied after this really isn't my thing, but I can live with it. Coming after 'Nemesis Divina' this was an outright tragedy. Cover art is curious and I don't hate it, but I wouldn't hang it on my wall. 

6. The Age of Nero (2008)

Pretty good, pretty dark. This is the fourth album in a row with the exact same guitar tone and style, and it's pretty boring by now, especially if you've waited years to hear a new Satyricon album. It just amazes me that Satyr sits down to write a new album, plugs his guitar in, steps on the same damn pedal and records any damn riff that comes out. They should be putting albums out every sixth months with this level of quality control. 'Commando' is a pretty good song. The cover art is really nice, with that crow. 

5. Now Diabolical (2006)

This is part of the quality slide, but overall it's a decent listen, if not brilliant. The title track and 'K.I.N.G' are great songs. But there's that guitar tone again. In fact, it's risible that it took four years between 'Volcano' and this. This is basically an album of single riffs, with hardly any overdubs or melodies. It's just riffs. Shouldn't take four years. Cover is pretty diabolical, now and then. 

4. Volcano (2002)

This is the best of the modern sounding Satyricon albums by miles. Songs like 'Repined Bastard Nation' and 'With Ravenous Hunger' are amazing. 'Fuel for Hatred' is one of the catchiest metal songs ever written. Go back and listen to it now, it's brilliant. The guitars sound phat and catchy, and there's a modern coolness that I really dig. If only they had left that style here, we'd have one brilliant band on our hands.  This should have been the final Satyricon album, and the evolution would have been complete. Alas... The snake album cover is a bit random, given the album's called 'Volcano', but it's pretty cool. 

3. Nemesis Divina (1996)

A stunning, meaningful album that, in conjunction with Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk', really signals the final moments of the transcendent Norwegian second wave. Obviously 'Mother Earth' is the highlight, and probably the best thing to ever happen to black metal, but the rest of this album is brilliant too. It's definitely a step away from the earlier albums, but gosh this works. Brilliant album cover and booklet. 

2. Dark Medieval Times (1993)

One of the best Norwegian black metal albums of all time, this is the sound of two young men in the throes of Euronymous worship, writing and performing as if the very forest itself were their muse. The feel that comes through on this album is of a special moment in time - the sense of history just pours from the speakers. This is quite a harsh album and they get better, but what we have here is a treasure and a delight. The album cover is rustic but very cool, and the back cover, with Satyr and Frost in the snow, framed with nekro-frames, remains iconic. 

1. The Shadowthrone (1994)

This is my favourite black metal album of all time, and also the first I ever bought, back in 1995. I read about this in a magazine, saw the photos and just had to have it. When the grim voice starts the album off, I damn near fainted, and history was set in motion. 'Hvite Krists Dod' is a stunning masterpiece. What amazes most, however, is the attention to detail here. The true passion. The acoustic guitar moments, the layered vocals, the keyboards that project the listener over the Norwegian forests, under a starry sky of loneliness and beauty. Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem - none have reached the standard of this. Put it in my coffin with me when I die. Haunting cover and booklet of fjords, forests, dark drawings. Faultless. 

I'm with you on the top four and I mostly agree with your assessment of the others. I think I remember liking the self-titled more than you, but that's a low bar. The last time I played Rebel Extravaganza was a weird experience; I actually loved it when it came out and listened to it for a few years, but going back to it, my opinion had completely changed. It's a confused, directionless waste of time and I have no idea what younger me was thinking.

1 minute ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm not as fond of Nemesis Divina as I used to be, and I don't think it holds up as well out of its milieu as the first two, but it's still pretty real.

Agreed. As a piece of music I can respect it and re-visit it, but the only Satyricon releases I can always go back to and never be disappointed by are "Dark Medieval Times" and "The Shadowthrone"

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm with you on the top four and I mostly agree with your assessment of the others. I think I remember liking the self-titled more than you, but that's a low bar. The last time I played Rebel Extravaganza was a weird experience; I actually loved it when it came out and listened to it for a few years, but going back to it, my opinion had completely changed. It's a confused, directionless waste of time and I have no idea what younger me was thinking.

I think I found 'Rebel Extravaganza' weird from the beginning because I was a huge fan of 'Nemesis' and 'Shadowthrone' already, and my infantile teenage mind was expecting them to at least keep the medieval imagery and themes. 

But the late 90s was the era of radical change in the bands I love, so it wasn't that huge of a surprise in the end. I never really liked the album though - it just isolates me emotionally. 

6 hours ago, salmonellapancake said:

Only the first two Satyricon full-lengths is real. That is all.

This is essentially true. Like I point out in my nekro-thesis, for me 'Nemesis Divina' is the final album of that bracket. The following year Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' came out and sort of sealed the deal. After that we have 'Rebel Extravaganza', 'IX Equilibrium' and the next generation of mainstream black metal releases. But I still count 'Nemesis Divina' as being, if not entirely true, at least a very strong rumour! 

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

I think I found 'Rebel Extravaganza' weird from the beginning because I was a huge fan of 'Nemesis' and 'Shadowthrone' already, and my infantile teenage mind was expecting them to at least keep the medieval imagery and themes. 

But the late 90s was the era of radical change in the bands I love, so it wasn't that huge of a surprise in the end. I never really liked the album though - it just isolates me emotionally. 

This is essentially true. Like I point out in my nekro-thesis, for me 'Nemesis Divina' is the final album of that bracket. The following year Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' came out and sort of sealed the deal. After that we have 'Rebel Extravaganza', 'IX Equilibrium' and the next generation of mainstream black metal releases. But I still count 'Nemesis Divina' as being, if not entirely true, at least a very strong rumour! 

A very strong rumour, I like that!

• 1 month later...

I've just amended my ranking. 

Over the past couple of weeks I've been listening to 'Deep Calleth Upon Deep' quite a bit at work, and it's actually a really excellent album. On first listen or two I had it pegged as being another 'Satyricon', which genuinely sucks, but on closer inspection 'DCUD' is a very exciting release. 

It has much more in the way of layering and melodies, with double tracked guitars giving this quite a heavy and full sound (relative to modern Satyricon). The arrangements are also quite adventurous, and there's a sense of genuineness here that the previous album really lacked. Even the guitar playing has a bit of meat behind it this time around. 

So I'm here to publicly eat humble pie and actually call this a really good album. Purchase is imminent. 

• 2 months later...

They're one of my most favorite black metal bands, but I can't say I've been dazzled by anything they've done in the last twenty years. Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone are essential listening, in my opinion. I love Nemesis Divina too, but after that, nothing really holds my interest minus a few decent songs. I probably wouldn't even bother to give the newer stuff a try if it wasn't for Frost's drumming, but there are much better avenues to hear him in his element. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of respect for these guys, but their recent output just sounds too same-y to me, and I get bored of it quickly. It's not terrible, and Satyr plays some interesting riffs here and there, but a lot of songs kind of meander and sound tired and/or uninspired. That being said, very few albums released in the 21st century have really blown me away. I dig older music way too much.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:38 AM, Requiem said:

9. Satyricon (2013)

You know, despite what Frost might say about "progressing", when I first heard that album I honestly had the feeling Satyr put a gun to his head in the studio and told him "play it this way...or else."

On 10/30/2018 at 6:57 AM, Depraved said:

You know, despite what Frost might say about "progressing", when I first heard that album I honestly had the feeling Satyr put a gun to his head in the studio and told him "play it this way...or else."

It feels that way, doesn’t it. The drums are as lame as everything else on that album, and I’m not entirely sure it’s Frost’s fault. 

I totally agree with your assessment of their most recent albums, by the way. Very samey and uninspired. ‘Depends Calleth Upon Deep’ is a really cool album, but yeah it’s no ‘Shadowthone’!

17 minutes ago, Requiem said:

It feels that way, doesn’t it. The drums are as lame as everything else on that album, and I’m not entirely sure it’s Frost’s fault. 

I totally agree with your assessment of their most recent albums, by the way. Very samey and uninspired. ‘Depends Calleth Upon Deep’ is a really cool album, but yeah it’s no ‘Shadowthone’!

Ha yeah, when I first heard it I was like "what is this shit?" and for a moment I thought it was a different band. I don't hate it as much as I did when it was first released, but I ask myself if I'm going to listen to Satyricon, why on earth would I choose that album? Pretty much all the songs bore me, with the exception of "Phoenix", but that almost sounds like Satyricon trying to be a cover band...

Deep Calleth Upon Deep I thought was better, but it's not really the sort of thing I'd sit down and listen to. Maybe to just have playing in the background, but when I listen to music I really like to listen to it, without really doing anything else. I really like "To Your Brethren in the Dark" though. The main riff feels very haunting and I love the lyrics.

But yeah, if I want me some Satyricon it's going to be one of the first three albums 99% of the time. 

2 hours ago, Depraved said:

Ha yeah, when I first heard it I was like "what is this shit?" and for a moment I thought it was a different band. I don't hate it as much as I did when it was first released, but I ask myself if I'm going to listen to Satyricon, why on earth would I choose that album? Pretty much all the songs bore me, with the exception of "Phoenix", but that almost sounds like Satyricon trying to be a cover band...

Deep Calleth Upon Deep I thought was better, but it's not really the sort of thing I'd sit down and listen to. Maybe to just have playing in the background, but when I listen to music I really like to listen to it, without really doing anything else. I really like "To Your Brethren in the Dark" though. The main riff feels very haunting and I love the lyrics.

But yeah, if I want me some Satyricon it's going to be one of the first three albums 99% of the time. 

And if I'm walking the eldritch streets at night or through a gloomy wooded area, it's the first three albums 100% of the time! 

On 8/2/2018 at 4:32 AM, Requiem said:

I've just amended my ranking. 

Over the past couple of weeks I've been listening to 'Deep Calleth Upon Deep' quite a bit at work, and it's actually a really excellent album. On first listen or two I had it pegged as being another 'Satyricon', which genuinely sucks, but on closer inspection 'DCUD' is a very exciting release. 

It has much more in the way of layering and melodies, with double tracked guitars giving this quite a heavy and full sound (relative to modern Satyricon). The arrangements are also quite adventurous, and there's a sense of genuineness here that the previous album really lacked. Even the guitar playing has a bit of meat behind it this time around. 

So I'm here to publicly eat humble pie and actually call this a really good album. Purchase is imminent. 

I'll try my luck again. I'm hopeful there's a slice of humble pie left but doubtful I am.