Controversial Metal Opinions

7YearsOfBlood

I put Seasons above Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits too' date=' but that's mostly because I think those are overrated. However, with War Ensemble Seasons has one of the all time best.[/quote'] Overrated in what regard? Their best selling and most highly rated albums tend to be RiB, SoH, and SitA, so I don't see how you could call their less praised and popular albums overrated.

Okay' date=' SNM not so much, but wherever I see this being discussed, about half of people say Hell Awaits is best. Imo it's Slayer's worst before Diabolus.[/quote'] What makes it the worst of their early work? It features the best riffs, atmosphere, songwriting, vocals, drumming, and composition of any of their albums. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this bizzaro world where up is down, left is right, and good is bad...

Some of the songs on Hell Awaits are overly long but that's my only criticism of the album and even that's just nitpicking. How anyone could say straightfaced it's among the worst things they've ever done baffles me. Kudos on a very controversial opinion.
Most of the songs have long intros, but I'll take that any day over the underdeveloped half-song approach of RiB. Also, the intros fit, and the songs are awesome.

What makes it the worst of their early work? It features the best riffs' date=' atmosphere, songwriting, vocals, drumming, and composition of any of their albums. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this bizzaro world where up is down, left is right, and good is bad...[/quote'] I think it's pretty much the worst in all those points, except for the vocals perhaps. It seems very much some intermediary work in progress to me, Slayer trying to find their style before they found it on the next album. But I don't think this debate will go anywhere, maybe we should leave it. edit: still has the best intro ever, obviously.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, at least there's no needless slinging of insults like we experienced with the last person who visited our forum and disagreed with a widely held view. You are right though we won't agree with regards to Hell Awaits so why engage in a futile discussion? I actually consider Reign In Blood to be Slayer's worst effort. Sure they have a lot of boring albums but at least those albums had riffs. RiB has maybe five riffs on the entire album and three of them come from one song. The rest is just noise and yelling. As I said earlier Dark Angel and Morbid Saint showcased perfectly the art of riffing at breakneck speed.

I think it's pretty much the worst in all those points, except for the vocals perhaps. It seems very much some intermediary work in progress to me, Slayer trying to find their style before they found it on the next album. But I don't think this debate will go anywhere, maybe we should leave it. edit: still has the best intro ever, obviously.
I can't say that any of that makes sense. If Slayer was trying to "find their sound" with Hell Awaits, then you can't really argue that they found it with RiB if they changed immediately after. It also doesn't make sense to call it an "intermediary work in progress", as the album that followed it only featured two full songs, the rest are just fragments that are thrown together almost as an afterthought. If they were "on their way to something" with Hell Awaits, then RiB would be the detour that they never came back from. If you want to say that they found their sound later, it would make more sense to use either SoH or Diabolus in Musica as the representative album, as those are the styles that they stuck with for the longest amounts of time.

Yeah' date=' I can certainly agree with that. Thrash was never my go-to genre but I can always appreciate it, and still have my selected favorites like Coroner and Nuclear Assault, but it's not exactly what I feel burning in my soul day to day[/quote'] I thought I was the only one who liked metal music and wasn't too much into thrash. I've tried a lot to listen to thrash but I just CAN'T get into it, in fact I've forced myself to like it but my brain just refuses to enjoy listening to that. First off I remember I tried to get into it to by listening to several old Metallica songs, I liked a few ones but it was pretty much the most popular songs, other than that I was like ehhh. After that I was like... alright let's go on and try something else like Megadeth, same thing happened... just enjoyed the most popular songs. In order to sum it up the last thing I did was check out Slayer, I loved their speed in Reign In Blood but that was everything I liked xD. All I'm listening right now is metalcore bands, that's what I like, that's what I feel identified with. Bands like Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying are the ones I enjoy the most.

More of an intro post then a controversial opinion. There's not much interest in melodic metalcore around here but hey whatever floats your boat.
The fact that an intro post made it into an ongoing discussions means that it's brimming with controversy. The mods must be mad to allow this to continue, won't someone think of the children?

Unholy are funeral doom plain and simple. The atmosphere' date=' tempo, and construction of 'The Second Ring Of Power' scream funeral doom. In fact if I didn't know any better I'd swear that record was directly influenced by Streams From The Heavens. Just my opinion anyway.[/quote'] They were definitely influential to funeral doom, and some of their demo material could be considered as such, but their albums feel a bit different to me. I would call them black/doom metal, but I can't really argue with calling them funeral doom either. In any case, they're incredible and unique, and worthy of any doom fan's time and attention.

Arch Enemy have never been gifted with a great vocalist. Stigmata is their best album but even there the vocals aren't exactly brilliant. Their new frontwoman is certainly an improvement on Angela Gossow though. I don't care for Nightwish at all it's Abba with guitars and that's all they'll ever be.

I like Liiva and Angela. And Nightwish with Tarja. But I also like "Abba with guitars" description. They are Abba with guitars since Tarja left.
Liiva reminds me of Barney Greenway, and I enjoy his vocals, though I think he was at his best with Furbowl. Angela was always a weak vocalist, that dry, airy tone conveyed no power or conviction to me. Also, it made it so her idiot lyrics came through clear as a bell, making her performances even worse. As far as Nightwish goes, that's not a style I really get into. Tarja was a good singer and all, but the music just seemed like overblown rock opera with a few poorly done metal elements added almost as an afterthought. From what I remember, their current singer had a good voice in After Forever, but I can't remember what they sound like, and I don't remember the last time I heard a Nightwish song...