Controversial Metal Opinions

7YearsOfBlood

Re: Controversial metal opinions Nah, it's been moving in that direction since pop music lost its credibility in the 70's, and while it has been deteriorating, it hasn't stopped glam, grunge, nu-metal, metalcore, or deathcore. It does make the underground flourish though, more and more metal bands are just coming out of the woodwork as pop gets worse. I honestly don't care much what pop music does, it's basically off my radar, unless my wife has control of the radio or turns on shit like American Idol. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes as you say pop with guitars but that is a better direction than all the RnB shite. I saw McFly play live in my home town a few years back when they where starting out, free in the town centre. They can actual play, not what I like but they can do it. If it can influence the youth to play for real some new metal will come from it.

You'll have to be a bit older, maybe, to appreciate this controversial opinion, but I HATE "rock n roll". Okay, there's some bands who are definitely rock n roll that I like; The Ramones, The Fuzztones, those garage/mod/psychadelic bands of the '60s. BUT! I detest the 'rock n roll' stereotype image-the rock bands who try and look like James Dean, slick back hair, turn-up jeans, leather jacket. I also detest those rock n roll trendies-they've got to have the swallows and playing cards tattoos, don't they? It's so "old school". And the girls have got to have bright red lip stick and a head scarf. My favourite bands include AC/DC and Motorhead. Folk now call them rock n roll. No they're not. Would Elvis have gone to a AC/DC gig if he hadn't eaten his body weight in burgers? Doubt it... And could you see the likes of Buddy Holly playing a cover of Overkill at 129 decibels? No! Rock n roll is a lazy, easy music to play-like pub blues. Anyone can play it. The classic rock/metal bands of the '70s may have been influenced by them, but they didn't play anything like that crap. Rock n roll is so bloody twee it makes me sick. Its usually bands who feel uncomfortable or snobby about the term 'metal' who label themselves rock n roll. As Brighton punks Peter & The Test Tube Babies sang: Elvis is dead Thank god! What a fat c@nt he was!
I'll have to totally disagree with you on several accounts over this. Rock'n'roll is not easy to play and Motorhead IS rock'n'roll. Slow down any of their song and you'll get rock'n'roll basics. It's easy as one plus one. And you don't like the image... what can I say, it's your opinion and I can't argue over it. But AC/DC, one of your favourite comes from the same line of pub rockers, just as bunch of the people you don't like. Retrace the steps.

hooray, ever since NTNR left this place has been so boring, no one disagreeing with anyone, now lets have some fun slow Motorhead down, turn the distortion waaaaaaaaaay down, clean up those vocals and you have 50's/60's rock n roll, the complete Motorhead package however does not fit the rock n roll bill, Lemmy can say "we're not metal" 'til he turns blue in the face but that doesn't make it true

Re: Controversial metal opinions

Motorhead is metal, and also arguably punk (the very foundation of crust punk even), and do so using completely rock & roll techniques. It's the excess that they take those techniques to that puts them into the more extreme camps. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
motorhead were, and still are, fucking awesome.

I'll have to totally disagree with you on several accounts over this. Rock'n'roll is not easy to play and Motorhead IS rock'n'roll. Slow down any of their song and you'll get rock'n'roll basics. It's easy as one plus one. And you don't like the image... what can I say, it's your opinion and I can't argue over it. But AC/DC, one of your favourite comes from the same line of pub rockers, just as bunch of the people you don't like. Retrace the steps.
Driller, I know exactly the roots of rock n roll and the link to Motorhead and AC/DC, and more. But Motorhead ain't rock n roll. Yes, there's songs, especially the recent albums, that are R n R, but they've definitely went more for that sound in the last 5/6 albums than they did on the early classics. Also, if they play rock n roll all the time, why does Lemmy always say "Here's a rock n roll song for you..." before playing Born To Raise Hell (an undeniably R n R song)? He never says that before playing The Hammer or Overkill etc. As I said in a reply to Blut, it's not so much the original rock n roll I've got a problem with, it's the new versions of it. I still say it's easier to play and is a cop-out to trying to do something truly original. The present day punk scene is riddled with it for example. Of course you could disect, analyse and you'll get rock n rock from nearly any band in the 'heavy' bracket, and yes, AC/DC and Motorhead may have more R n R overtones than, say, Lizzy or UFO. But, The (Burger) King would be spinning in his grave if he thought he was being classed in the same genre as those two bedlam creators!

Type O Negative is the epitome of doom: Ultra heavy, ultra slow and depressing. Reverend Bizarre isn't doom nor doom. They're just shitty retro-rock music that somehow managed to get popular. The same with ghost. I'm tired of people calling 70's retro rock and/or stoner rock and/or Black Sabbath worship "true" doom. Slow power metal/rock doesn't make a band doom.

don't like reverend bizarre' date=' TON on the other hand, fucking awesome as is Carnivore, speaking of Carnivore am I the only one who thinks they're like a thrash/doom crossover band?[/quote'] Carnivore had a few doomy passages in their material, something which was expanded on a bit with Type O Negative. However, Type O Negative are only doom some of the time, as there's plenty of goth rock and New York hardcore in their sound too. I also wouldn't call Ghost doom, but Reverend Bizarre is whether you like them or not.

TON is doom incarnate, but I agree about Carnivore, they're just Crossover (and awesome). The Retard Bizarre is just rock music. There's nothing Metal about them. @Murph If you want to hear what Slayer would sound like if they were doom check out Sorrow. Speaking of Slayer, I recently read part of an interview with Kerry where he said he has played all the guitars on their last few albums, minus Jeff's solos. And they don't talk to him, they just talk to each other via their manager. Very fucking sad. They have to play because they can't make money any other way but it's clear they don't like each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a controversial opinion about metal (with apologies to out US friends): I can't stick the metal jargon and phraseology we have to put up with in the UK? Journalists/broadcasters/DJs all trying to sound 'cool' and American. Coming out with crap like 'cool' and using the word 'shit' to describe just about everything. Oh, and how they're 'stoked' about a new album and how any pub band is 'awesome'. And, of course, worst of all, using the word 'dude'. Unacceptable under any circumstances and should be punishable by death-by-dog shite in this country (UK). FFS you're British! Speak your own bloody language! If I wanted to read all this rubbish I'd buy American magazines!

It's not so much American as it is just immensely stupid. We have this frat bro jargon' date=' you have chav speech. Each nation has its own specific butchery of English, and each is equally obnoxious.[/quote'] No, Iceni, I disagree. It's Brits trying to sound like cool American rock stars. All the above phraseology does not bother me one bit if it's an American saying it. In fact it can be very 'cool'. But it makes my teeth go itchy when a Brit tries to mimic it. I suppose it's just a continuation of the way rock n roll gave us these phrases ie a woman is a 'chick' or called 'baby'. The UK punks got it right-using their own cultural language & accents to sing in. Celebrate your own culture, don't mimic others!