Controversial Metal Opinions

7YearsOfBlood

Sure, at least you gave my case a look on.
While we're talking about good Yngwie songs I'll recommend Caught in the Middle, I'll See the Light Tonight and Now Your Ships Are Burned. Won't crowd this tread with videos and stuff.
Maybe there is an Yngwie thread somewhere.

Another controversial Metal Opinion of mine is that I don't like Painkiller with Judas Priest very much.
I've always been into the Defenders of the Faith period. The early mid-80s were the golden age of the band.
But their most recent album I like now already from the start. Weird.
It's also the same with Iron Maiden's Be Quick and Be Dead. It's got the same kinda vibe and it kinda makes the song a bit boring.

I'll agree that Painkiller is overrated. Sure, it's cool that Priest got heavier, but the songs just aren't as good as they used to be. Defenders is the best of their 80's albums for sure, but I would never say that any time in the 80's was their golden age. That honor falls squarely in the mid-late 70's, from Sad Wings of Destiny through Stained Class. All 3 of those albums are genius, some of the best heavy metal albums of all time. They abandoned a lot of that sophistication and depth in the 80's with their more straightforward and somewhat poppy approach. Rob reigned in the vocals, the band all reigned in their playing prowess, and the songs got simple and lazy.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'll agree that Painkiller is overrated. Sure, it's cool that Priest got heavier, but the songs just aren't as good as they used to be. Defenders is the best of their 80's albums for sure, but I would never say that any time in the 80's was their golden age. That honor falls squarely in the mid-late 70's, from Sad Wings of Destiny through Stained Class. 

The habit some possess of solely attribute Painkiller's success to its increased heaviness is a laughable notion to me. If that was the case, Jugulator would also be a critically acclaimed work. I think 1975-1978 was their golden age as well but to say that the songs on Painkiller aren't that good when they contain some of the most inspired guitarwork, composition, performance and drumming on a Priest album in years is ridiculous.

The habit some possess of solely attribute Painkiller's success to its increased heaviness is a laughable notion to me. If that was the case, Jugulator would also be a critically acclaimed work. I think 1975-1978 was their golden age as well but to say that the songs on Painkiller aren't that good when they contain some of the most inspired guitarwork, composition, performance and drumming on a Priest album in years is ridiculous.

I didn't say it wasn't good, but people act like its the second coming of genius for Priest, and it simply isn't. Saying that it was the best thing they had done in years isn't a stretch, since the 80's were mostly filled with pedestrian heavy metal/glam releases that housed none of the depth or complexity of their 70's albums. Even Defenders, which was a huge step up from their other 80's releases, just doesn't compare. Painkiller is probably their best after those 70's gems and Defenders, but I think those who blow their loads with 100%/5 star reviews are mostly in awe of the aggression and guitar tone from a classic band. Again, good, but overrated.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Paragon_Belial said:

I can't stand Iron Maiden or Slayer.

I really enjoyed Deep Calleth Upon Deep.

I like Iron Maiden, but as for Slayer: I do not know why, but they just bore me to tears!

Now here's one for you...I am Danish, but I just cannot stand Metallica!!! Trust me, the first thing many do when they find out that I am Danish is to start yapping about sodding Metallica! And then when they find out that I am anti-Metallica it is like...WTF????

I am happy to talk about Danish/Nordic metal, but let's talk about Mercyful Fate or King Diamond band instead. Because amongst other things unlike Metallica with just one...yes, just one...Danish member and honestly he is a bit of a prat, then things are a bit different when it comes to Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Band!!!!

Rant over...*lol*

22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I like Iron Maiden, but as for Slayer: I do not know why, but they just bore me to tears!

Now here's one for you...I am Danish, but I just cannot stand Metallica!!! Trust me, the first thing many do when they find out that I am Danish is to start yapping about sodding Metallica! And then when they find out that I am anti-Metallica it is like...WTF????

I am happy to talk about Danish/Nordic metal, but let's talk about Mercyful Fate or King Diamond band instead. Because amongst other things unlike Metallica with just one...yes, just one...Danish member and honestly he is a bit of a prat, then things are a bit different when it comes to Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Band!!!!

Rant over...*lol*

My family is actually from Denmark, but that's a whole different thread. lol. Anyways, I have often found the same with Slayer, i just never caught the hype. I respect their place in the history of metal it's just not for me. 

I enjoy pre-black album Metallica but my interest dropped pretty quickly after that & i started looking for something heavier. 

I don't really listen to much Dansk metal at all to be honest, i do enjoy the Psychobilly bands & a few of the "alternative pop" artists like Tina Dico & Dicte, etc though. I guess on the upside, at least they aren't namedropping Aqua & Mo when they find out you're Danish though.

23 hours ago, Paragon_Belial said:

My family is actually from Denmark, but that's a whole different thread. lol. Anyways, I have often found the same with Slayer, i just never caught the hype. I respect their place in the history of metal it's just not for me. 

I enjoy pre-black album Metallica but my interest dropped pretty quickly after that & i started looking for something heavier. 

I don't really listen to much Dansk metal at all to be honest, i do enjoy the Psychobilly bands & a few of the "alternative pop" artists like Tina Dico & Dicte, etc though. I guess on the upside, at least they aren't namedropping Aqua & Mo when they find out you're Danish though.

Oh yeah, there is no doubt that Slayer has done far more than their fair share metalwise and it is not like I hate Slayer and danced a happy dance when I found out that they were retiring...in fact not at all: I respect Slayer for all their achievements and as far as I know...sticking to the guns for more than 30 years. I really admire that!!!! But they never got my boat rocking.

The only two psychobilly bands that I can think off  are Horrorpops and Nekromatix...I met Patricia Day and Kim Nekroman breifly at a pub..after a double bill Mercyful Fate/King Diamond Band gig years ago in Copenhagen where we talked about the history of rock n roll from rockabilly to metal and they mentioned their bands. Other than that, I have lived more or less in a musical bubble since I was 10...I would not know one alternative pop artist from another.

Mo???? Isen't he that fat pub owner in some cartoon? :D

• 2 years later...

Sorry if I or someone else mentioned this before, but I didn't want to go through twenty pages to find out. My controversial opinion is that metal, particularly extreme metal, sounds horrible live. Some of the top, extreme bands (say a band like Emperor, who were excellent when I saw them), can pull it off, but it seems you really need to know what you're doing and probably need the best equipment available to do it. Unfortunately, most extreme metal bands are an epic fail live. It seems like just a barrage of muddy, unintelligible noise, and I can't even make out what song they're playing even though I listened to their albums a million times.  I think extreme metal bands should stick to the studio/home listening experience,

9 hours ago, Parker said:

Sorry if I or someone else mentioned this before, but I didn't want to go through twenty pages to find out. My controversial opinion is that metal, particularly extreme metal, sounds horrible live. Some of the top, extreme bands (say a band like Emperor, who were excellent when I saw them), can pull it off, but it seems you really need to know what you're doing and probably need the best equipment available to do it. Unfortunately, most extreme metal bands are an epic fail live. It seems like just a barrage of muddy, unintelligible noise, and I can't even make out what song they're playing even though I listened to their albums a million times.  I think extreme metal bands should stick to the studio/home listening experience,

My experience has been, not exactly the opposite, but pretty different. I've seen local bands at tiny venues who sounded awesome, and international touring acts in big halls who sounded awful despite great equipment and staff. Definitely also seen my share of crappy small shows and good higher-end shows, but my favorite experiences have mostly been at small to mid-size clubs. Something about larger venues feels a bit sterile to me. I want to feel the music hitting me in the chest and hear what's coming off the amps and drums instead of just a mix through a PA. Do you wear earplugs? I can't see live music without them.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Parker said:

I'm not saying it's always the case, but a lot of the time that can be because the sound guy/girl can't mix extreme metal well. Earplugs definitely help with cutting down a lot of the noise that makes it sound messy.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

I'm not saying it's always the case, but a lot of the time that can be because the sound guy/girl can't mix extreme metal well. Earplugs definitely help with cutting down a lot of the noise that makes it sound messy.

Agreed, I've heard some excellent live gigs by extreme bands, and often when it sucked it was down to a combination of no soundcheck or sound guy/girl being clueless. Oh and the room acoustis. Some venues are just bad for live sound.

Most sound guys at small clubs don't know what the fuck they're doing. I've heard many more bad sound gigs at small club shows than I have good or even passable sound. Sometimes they'll get it somewhat figured out midway through or towards the end which pisses me off because why couldn't they have done a dry run soundcheck and figured it out earlier?

Depends on the venue and the crew for sure, but the band is sometimes to blame. For instance, at MDF 2019 the sound was pretty damn good save for 2 bands: Revenge and Deicide. Revenge makes sense. They are a dense wall of noise. I have to believe that's pretty hard to get right under the best conditions with a good sound board crew. Deicide on the other hand just didn't do a soundcheck.

I've seen some really great live gigs soundwise though. Oranssi Pazuzu, Emperor, Demolition Hammer, The Chasm, Satyricon, Blood Incantation, Immolation, and Morbid Angel come to mind. 

• 2 months later...

I love bands that people here would probably consider to be ‘nu-metal’.

I hate the obsession with labels in the metal community. It weakens the genre as a whole.

I don’t really like Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax or Motörhead. Actually, most Thrash.

I think Iron Maiden is just alright.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

5 hours ago, Ivory said:

I love bands that people here would probably consider to be ‘nu-metal’.

I hate the obsession with labels in the metal community. It weakens the genre as a whole.

Please tell us how labels weaken the genre as a whole. Humans like to label and categorize stuff, and that goes far beyond just metal and music. I would imagine if someone coming up in the world gets into nu-metal and has a problem with the sub-genre label it's really not the label itself they mind, it's the negative connotations and stereotyping and prejudices that come along with it. But seems to me you're gonna have that as long as there are so many vastly different kinds of music all trying to coexist under the overarching banner of metal. 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But seems to me you're gonna have that as long as there are so many vastly different kinds of music all trying to coexist under the overarching banner of metal. 

We are biased here but surely metal does have to be the most diverse form of music that exists. In which case sub-labels are perfectly fine, but you can ignore them if you want. It is true I might not bother reading a review and check out a sound clip if I see "epic power metal" (or nu-metal for that matter) associated with it but any number of things might influence whether it clears the bar for being worth checking out, more often that not "for fans of....." than a label per se

My "controversial metal opinion?" ....only thing I can think of is to throw out the catchphrase:

Image is nothing; metal is everything.

Lizard scientists have an argument over the differences between the Northern Blue Lizard and the Southern Yellow Lizard, acknowledging that their range overlaps in the one mountain valley where the Mountain Green Lizard is found, but disagreeing over which traits are most important for distinguishing between them, and whether they're actually looking at three separate species of lizard, or two, or even possibly just one. Are the greens hybrids, and if so, why do the yellows and blues avoid interbreeding outside the valley? Are genetic differences important if they don't preclude hybridization? Are the color differences due to some environmental factor, or just a coincidence enhanced by geographical isolation? Are they on their way to completely differentiating, or all becoming green, or is one expanding their range at the expense of the other, or does the status quo appear to be stable? Some guy hears their argument and says "hey that's dumb, lizards are lizards, who cares what they look like. You're weakening the field of lizard studies!" 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Lizard scientists have an argument over the differences between the Northern Blue Lizard and the Southern Yellow Lizard, acknowledging that their range overlaps in the one mountain valley where the Mountain Green Lizard is found, but disagreeing over which traits are most important for distinguishing between them, and whether they're actually looking at three separate species of lizard, or two, or even possibly just one. Are the greens hybrids, and if so, why do the yellows and blues avoid interbreeding outside the valley? Are genetic differences important if they don't preclude hybridization? Are the color differences due to some environmental factor, or just a coincidence enhanced by geographical isolation? Are they on their way to completely differentiating, or all becoming green, or is one expanding their range at the expense of the other, or does the status quo appear to be stable? Some guy hears their argument and says "hey that's dumb, lizards are lizards, who cares what they look like. You're weakening the field of lizard studies!" 

The Real Mic Drop (@Therealmicdrop) | Twitter