More DM suggestions!

Cambo

Ahoy there, I don't find it very easy to 'get into' new bands (new as in I haven't given many other bands decent attention). My music library is separated into the following (Some bands are not metal, but may give you an idea of what I like):

• My favourite bands are Nile, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, and Edge of Sanity.
  • I also really like Alice in Chains, At the Gates, Bloodbath, Deftones, DragonForce (probably just that one song), Dream Theater, Fates Warning, In Flames (I prefer early IF), Killswitch Engage, Lilitu (had one great song), Machine Head (some songs), Tool, A Perfect Circle, Queensryche (just starting them), The Smashing Pumpkins, Trivium.
  • I have (apparently highly-regarded) albums of Amon Amarth, Arsis, Atheist, Blind Guardian, Brujeria, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Celtic Frost, Children of Bodom, Cynic, Deicide, Gojira, Insomnium (which I think I can really like) and Morbid Angel. Most of these struggle to get my interest, despite me trawling the internet for hours and finding what I thought were well received albums.

I want to find a new favourite band, and I really haven't found anything that I really like for at least three years. I am looking for something with a decent-sized discography, great musicianship, melody, riffs and solos. I kinda want to avoid flavour-of-the-month, "listen to this because they are popular", and also 'rarr I am angry and evil and satan devil killing murder widdly widdly chugchugchug'. Please help! Much thanks.

Ahoy there, I don't find it very easy to 'get into' new bands (new as in I haven't given many other bands decent attention). My music library is separated into the following (Some bands are not metal, but may give you an idea of what I like):
  • My favourite bands are Nile, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, and Edge of Sanity.
  • I also really like Alice in Chains, At the Gates, Bloodbath, Deftones, DragonForce (probably just that one song), Dream Theater, Fates Warning, In Flames (I prefer early IF), Killswitch Engage, Lilitu (had one great song), Machine Head (some songs), Tool, A Perfect Circle, Queensryche (just starting them), The Smashing Pumpkins, Trivium.
  • I have (apparently highly-regarded) albums of Amon Amarth, Arsis, Atheist, Blind Guardian, Brujeria, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Celtic Frost, Children of Bodom, Cynic, Deicide, Gojira, Insomnium (which I think I can really like) and Morbid Angel. Most of these struggle to get my interest, despite me trawling the internet for hours and finding what I thought were well received albums.

I want to find a new favourite band, and I really haven't found anything that I really like for at least three years. I am looking for something with a decent-sized discography, great musicianship, melody, riffs and solos. I kinda want to avoid flavour-of-the-month, "listen to this because they are popular", and also 'rarr I am angry and evil and satan devil killing murder widdly widdly chugchugchug'. Please help! Much thanks.

I would highly recommend many albums from the bands that you listed here as well, and I'm a bit surprised that at least a few of them didn't catch your attention. However, I think I can add a few that you may enjoy. Katatonia - Rainroom: 8uMij4bNJR0 Katatonia started out as a black/doom metal band (which is actually my favorite period for their music), but by the time of Brave Murder Day they had evolved into something a bit different. This is less heavy handed than their early material, but still very dark and sorrowful. Their use of melody is very similar to Opeth and Edge of Sanity, and they have many ties to both bands, so I was surprised that they weren't listed with them. Dan Swano played keyboards on Katatonia's first album, Mikael Akerfeldt did the vocals on this album and one of Katatonia's EP's, and Jonas and Anders play in Bloodbath with those guys as well. It's not exactly the same style, but most fans of Opeth and Edge of Sanity also like Katatonia, though I would avoid their later stuff, it's more like modern gothic rock/metal with some nu-metal influences. Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion: pmoe7wwm4HM Agalloch are an American band that combine the moody, sad, and melodic sounds of Opeth, Katatonia, and Anathema with black and folk metal, which was a pretty original idea at the time. Their songs tend to be long, engrossing, and full of transitions between clean and harsh guitars and vocals, much like the aforementioned bands. The folk influence definitely gives it a flavor of its own though, and their albums (especially this one) are among my favorites from any genre. Amorphis - Against Widows: 5AkFMWMdmrU Amorphis started out as a doom/death metal band, but were always a bit more melodic than their peers. With this album though, they started adding progressive influences to their music, similar to what Opeth and Edge of Sanity do, as well as the inclusion of clean vocals. I noticed that you mentioned wanting a band with a good catalog, and Amorphis definitely qualifies, their early doom/death offerings are fantastic, this transitional album Elegy is one of my favorite albums ever, and after going into more rockish territory after this album (which is still good), they came back to this sound and have been very consistent. I would recommend checking out all of their albums, but the middle period is definitely where their weakest material lies. Also, the production on the album is much better than this crappy youtube upload, but all of the ones on youtube for this song seemed to have the same quality. Daylight Dies - A Subtle Violence: 3tGLHEbobsY Daylight Dies are an American band that are mostly influenced by Katatonia, Opeth, and other heavy/dreary melodic death and doom metal bands. They have a good balance between melancholic melodies and some melodic death metal aggression, and have very strong vocals and songwriting skills. I would assume that with most of your top listed bands, you would probably like these guys. Behemoth - Slaves Shall Serve: f1y192BaUPE This one is different from the others I've mentioned here, and this is playing more towards the Nile side of the spectrum that you listed. Behemoth are one of the bands that are most frequently compared to Nile, which is mostly because of their middle eastern melodies, high velocity technical riffs and drumming, and that the bands have toured together multiple times (Karl Sanders even plays a solo on the last song of this album). Behemoth were a Polish black metal band in the 90's, but starting in the 00's they incorporated and increasing amount of death metal influence. This is very professional and polished death metal that should appeal to almost any Nile fan. I'll stop there to see what you think so far, as there are plenty of bands that I can recommend based on whether you like these bands or not. As soon as I get some followup from you on what clicked and what didn't, I'll be more than happy to post some more.

Blut has also posted a ton of other stuff around the forum in various threads started by me, the following threads are full of good recs from BAN and other forum members Recommendations (in Black Metal) Suggestions (in Death Metal where we are presently) Doom 101 (in Doom Metal) Great Albums (in Power Metal, actually the first of these threads I started) Intro To Prog (in Progressive Metal, much more limited then the others) Advanced Thrash (in Thrash Metal, thrash being something of a specialty I was looking for lesser known bands)

Thanks all, especially you BlutAusNerd - I think of all the websites that I have asked for help from, your suggestions have been closest to the mark (not just "I like [TOTALLYUNRELATEDBAND] so check them out" Gave them all a quick listen the other day, just need to put some time aside to delve deeper. I do admit to not owning any real pioneer metal (Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden (which I feel obliged to!), Judas Priest, Slayer etc). I am possibly just gonna pick a random genre and explore something different...possibly power metal.... Hmmm

Re: Seeking recommendations - I need a new favourite band.

Thanks all' date=' especially you BlutAusNerd - I think of all the websites that I have asked for help from, your suggestions have been closest to the mark (not just "I like [TOTALLYUNRELATEDBAND'] so check them out" Gave them all a quick listen the other day, just need to put some time aside to delve deeper. I do admit to not owning any real pioneer metal (Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden (which I feel obliged to!), Judas Priest, Slayer etc). I am possibly just gonna pick a random genre and explore something different...possibly power metal.... Hmmm
Glad to be of service, hopefully some of those will click with you. If they do, be sure to let me know which ones, as I can expand on them depending on how you liked them. Also, as RelentlessOblivion pointed out, I have made video recommendations for most metal genres in the threads he listed (just like how I've done them here), which should cut down on some of the leg work for you. I've discovered TONS of great stuff from internet recommendations, and try to do the same for others whenever possible, so don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I could help with. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...
Hey BAN' date=' can you give me your top 10 DM albums. I am gonna pick a few and get em. And why the hell isn't my ENTER key working??? Grrr[/quote'] Hmmm, that might be tough, but I'll give it a shot. I do have different tastes in death metal than many others, so I'm not sure if they'll do it for you, but at least you'll get what you asked for. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours Atheist - Unquestionable Presence Autopsy - Mental Funeral Cadaver - ...in Pains Demilich - Nespithe Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream Immolation - Here in After The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness Pestilence - Consuming Impulse Fuck, that wasn't easy to make all of those cuts. Some of them I'm sure about being there, others could have been replaced by albums that I liked just as much. I tried to vary it up a bit though so a few different styles are represented, but my personal tastes might have inclined me more toward one style, so at least this way you'll have some variety too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys, Ok I grew up with the 1st wave of Tampa and Swedish DM and being close to NYC in NJ, of course bands like Suffocation, Immolation, Internal Bleeding..etc all "heroes" of the scene. With that being said, even being in a band for a long time I took a lot of influence from Corpsegrinder, David Vincent and Chuck Schuldiner just for being so different (and a genius IMHO!)...the problem is as a "fan" I just couldn't really get down with anything that's passing itself off as Death Metal these days. I don't expect to find Cause Of Death or Pierced From Within for the 1st time again but damn, there has GOT to be someone out there keeping it real. Songs written in traditional fashion, down tuned and growling vocals with some "personality". When I say vocals with personality I mean I F'NG HATE that burping crap. Sorry if anyone here is into it, by all means enjoy but for me personally, especially as a vocalist for many years, I really NEED to hear a vocalist that's brutal but stands out, has some range, ENUNCIATES!! So I haven't found that and for the most part stick to my beloved old school catalog...I guess I'm hoping to be turned onto something I might not even know exists. I heard of a band recently and the name escapes me, maybe you can help: I believe out of Detroit Michigan and the cd was something about collapsed lungs? That sound familiar? Caught it on SIRIUS XM but didn't write it down. Anyway, feel free to share what you know. I'd love to hear and support some new stuff that comes from that school!

There is a big thread here with death metal suggestions, buncha great stuff in there. Our moderator, BlutAusNerd, has a lot of great bands he's turned me on to. Go through and see what you find, there's bound to be something to your taste. I tend to prefer the old-school stuff myself. I usually hate modern production. Lately I've been listening to a ton of Dead Congregation, love this track: 29U55hcbAzw And though Severed Savior is pretty new-school, they remind me of Suffocation in a good way, and they have some sweepy bullshit but they aren't too full of themselves. 5u3Q5oKtn5k However, since there's already a thread for this, this one might disappear soon... :( So I'll refrain from making too many suggestions. Cheers, though, old-schooly shit is where it's at.

Re: More DM suggestions!

There is a big thread here with death metal suggestions, buncha great stuff in there. Our moderator, BlutAusNerd, has a lot of great bands he's turned me on to. Go through and see what you find, there's bound to be something to your taste. I tend to prefer the old-school stuff myself. I usually hate modern production. Lately I've been listening to a ton of Dead Congregation, love this track: 29U55hcbAzw And though Severed Savior is pretty new-school, they remind me of Suffocation in a good way, and they have some sweepy bullshit but they aren't too full of themselves. 5u3Q5oKtn5k However, since there's already a thread for this, this one might disappear soon... :( So I'll refrain from making too many suggestions. Cheers, though, old-schooly shit is where it's at.
That thread is mostly filled with old school recommendations, as it was initially created by a user here that was looking to get into death metal from a thrash background. There may be some more obscure old school entries that you may not be familiar with (Necrophagia, Hellwitch, Massacra, Order From Chaos, etc...), but I haven't gotten around to as many new bands yet. I also tend to shy away from most modern death metal, but there are tons of new bands that are either innovating and expanding the genre in a positive way (Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, Flourishing, etc...), or doing old school death metal the right way (Funebrarum, Demonical, Lantern, etc...). There are also plenty of old school bands getting back together, or are still releasing worthwhile albums (Suffocation, The Chasm, Immolation, Purtenance, etc...). I definitely can't consider myself some kind of authority, there are plenty out there that know a great deal more than I do (another forum I post on is loaded with them), but I do listen to a lot of metal. Hope you find some stuff you can enjoy, even if all of it doesn't "reinvent the wheel". Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

My taste in DM has gone more extreme and odd of late. I recently discovered Antediluvian, Abyssal, Mitochondrion, Impetuous Ritual (Portal side project). After Ulcerate and Gorguts I hold Wormed and Defeated Sanity in decent regard in terms of the more technical side of DM.
Welcome back, glad to see you found some cool stuff while you were away. I'm big on Mitochondrion and Antediluvian as well, need to check out the other two. Canada seems to be a hot bed for that style, try other bands like Rites of Thy Degringolade while you're at it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

How about Flourishing? Just checked them out. Pretty good sound. I think it could sound better with some more focus on production though.
The Sum of All Fossils was on my best of list for 2011, awesome album. Really Gorguts/Ulcerate inspired, but mixed with some post-sludge type atmosphere and riffs. I still need to check out their new one. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome back, glad to see you found some cool stuff while you were away. I'm big on Mitochondrion and Antediluvian as well, need to check out the other two. Canada seems to be a hot bed for that style, try other bands like Rites of Thy Degringolade while you're at it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Cheers Blut, work has been insane past few months but I have found some breathing space for music. Abyssal are consistent over both of the albums I have by them, Antediluvian are fucking amazing, anyone who isn't thrown into a spaz by the riff pattern of "Scions Of Ha Nachash" has issues.

• 7 months later...

My very favorite groovy death metal band, who was no doubt a band that inspired Jungle Rot, is Pungent Stench. The debut is solid, raunchy sounding death metal, but their second album Been Caught Buttering is loaded with swagger and grooves galore. The following album, Club Mondo Bizarre was, more of a groove metal album with some death metal elements, but it is also worth checking out. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2