Deicide

BlackFuckingMetal666

58 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Yeah, Benton is a knob.  Regardless of this I don't believe you can't make decent music if you are a knob.  Deicide are important in my evolution of DM and their debut ranks as one of my all time favourites.  I don't really care about their Satanic tendencies as long as i enjoy the music, the bad albums i just ignore.

There are plenty of talented knobs out there for sure, and I'll suffer them if they're making good music, but I do draw the line at truly horrid people. That said - even though Varg is a murdering racist nut job, I don't seem to feel the need to draw that line. But for Benton I do. Perhaps it's because I love animals, and he likes to burn rodents and pull the tails off lizards. I probably do tend to dislike people who hurt animals more than those who hurt people. Add that to everything else that's wrong about him/them, and the scales are definitely tipped for me.

7 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

There are plenty of talented knobs out there for sure, and I'll suffer them if they're making good music, but I do draw the line at truly horrid people. That said - even though Varg is a murdering racist nut job, I don't seem to feel the need to draw that line. But for Benton I do. Perhaps it's because I love animals, and he likes to burn rodents and pull the tails off lizards. I probably do tend to dislike people who hurt animals more than those who hurt people. Add that to everything else that's wrong about him/them, and the scales are definitely tipped for me.

Fair play to you.  I love animals too I just can separate the man from the music better I suppose.  You're not wrong to make your stand, we're just different. 

• 2 years later...

Deserted my principles and picked up a copy of Once Upon The Cross recently, to replace the one I lost/got rid of years ago. Definitely a good album. Could count the number of Deicide tracks I've really liked since that album on one hand, though; and have never really got into the first two, much as I know that's probably blashemy (pun intended)...  I should probably revisit all the albums at some point, now that I've deserted the aforementioned principles - see if I like any of them more.

16 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

Deserted my principles and picked up a copy of Once Upon The Cross recently, to replace the one I lost/got rid of years ago. Definitely a good album. Could count the number of Deicide tracks I've really liked since that album on one hand, though; and have never really got into the first two, much as I know that's probably blashemy (pun intended)...  I should probably revisit all the albums at some point, now that I've deserted the aforementioned principles - see if I like any of them more.

Once Upon The Cross was the one that really sold me on Deicide when I was a teenager... it's also (for me) their last good album. Legion is my top pick - ugly, nasty, barely controlled.

12 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Once Upon The Cross was the one that really sold me on Deicide when I was a teenager... it's also (for me) their last good album. Legion is my top pick - ugly, nasty, barely controlled.

Ooh, it could be the alcohol talking but I really enjoyed that.

I think Deicide is a solid band but nothing stellar. Once Upon the Cross is probably my favourite of theirs. I even don't mind their maligned mid-era albums of the early 00s. Having a character like Glen Benton in the band helps to propel them further than the usual cast of nameless faces in jeans and t-shirts.  

The old saying any publicity is good publicity certainly applies to Deicide. I don't believe they would be as successful without all the controversy Benton causes. That being said it's a catch 22 for the band. If they aren't controversial then they don't get noticed as much and no one really talks about them. It's just another band who live on their image and not their music.

I think that's part of it, also timing in making a name for themselves during death metal's golden era and establishing a vital connection with fans. But, personally, I am drawn to theatrics and characters in bands who stand out. His vocals and presence is something easily recognizable on albums, and too often death metal bands have a boring image or do nothing to distinguish themselves from the grey morass of others. When I hear a song of theirs (regardless of quality) I instantly think Deicide, not just another band who sounds and probably looks like Suffocation or Immolation or some other... 

Maybe I should get hold of ‘Once Upon the Cross’, as I only have ‘Stench of Redemption’ and probably need one more album to give me some options when it comes to CDs gun Deicide. 

The first and last songs on ‘Stench’ are brilliant, but apparently very melodic for this band, which has always been an impediment to my consumption of their deathly wares. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like that Deicide has a few songs about cults/cult leaders, ("Lunatic of God's Creation", "Carnage in the Temple of the Damned").  This instance of postmodern cross-pollination interests me because of the similarity of the weird cults of the Sixties and Seventies and the groupthink, hazing and idol worship found in certain circles of underground metal (Norwegian black metal scene around Helvete record shop first comes to mind).  

• 7 months later...

Call it old age, call it boredom during social distancing, but I've been really getting into Deicide lately, and for the first time I'm actually given them some proper consideration. 

I've gone back and really re-discovered the brilliance of 'Stench of Redemption'. What an amazing album. I was quite surprised when I opened the box version that I have to find member photo cards and other bonus stuff in there. The production is huge and the guitarists are just insane. Those solos are amazing. 

I've since bought a spanking new copy of 'Legion' on ebay but it hasn't arrived yet, and I've been smashing 'Once Upon the Cross' on Apple Music. Why oh why is 'Once Upon the Cross' so hard to find on CD? It's like it's out of print and it's really only the other album that I actually want to own. Copies on ebay and discogs are super expensive. 

Anyone know why 'Once Upon the Cross' is apparently out of print? It seems to me that one of death metal's iconic albums should be readily available in all sorts of deluxe editions. I'd love to know why it isn't. 

18 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Call it old age, call it boredom during social distancing, but I've been really getting into Deicide lately, and for the first time I'm actually given them some proper consideration. 

I've gone back and really re-discovered the brilliance of 'Stench of Redemption'. What an amazing album. I was quite surprised when I opened the box version that I have to find member photo cards and other bonus stuff in there. The production is huge and the guitarists are just insane. Those solos are amazing. 

I've since bought a spanking new copy of 'Legion' on ebay but it hasn't arrived yet, and I've been smashing 'Once Upon the Cross' on Apple Music. Why oh why is 'Once Upon the Cross' so hard to find on CD? It's like it's out of print and it's really only the other album that I actually want to own. Copies on ebay and discogs are super expensive. 

Anyone know why 'Once Upon the Cross' is apparently out of print? It seems to me that one of death metal's iconic albums should be readily available in all sorts of deluxe editions. I'd love to know why it isn't. 

It is odd, given the popularity of it, that it is no longer in print, suppose it comes down to the overheads still exceeding the profit of demand for the CD/Vinyl.  Expect a "remastered and enhanced" re-release that sounds like Benton and co. recorded it in a oil drum with their arms tied behind their backs, by circa 2030 at this rate.

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

It is odd, given the popularity of it, that it is no longer in print, suppose it comes down to the overheads still exceeding the profit of demand for the CD/Vinyl.  Expect a "remastered and enhanced" re-release that sounds like Benton and co. recorded it in a oil drum with their arms tied behind their backs, by circa 2030 at this rate.

It's pretty strange. In my long and perverted history of buying metal albums there have only been two instances where popular bands have had CDs out of print and unavailable: Deicide and Black Sabbath. 

And guess which two bands' hard to find material I currently want....

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

Ok, but they're just 'card sleeves' without the actual booklets and liner notes, right? I only ask because I really want 'Once Upon the Cross' but don't really want a simple paper card sleeve. 

12 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ok, but they're just 'card sleeves' without the actual booklets and liner notes, right? I only ask because I really want 'Once Upon the Cross' but don't really want a simple paper card sleeve. 

Ah yes, correct - it’s pretty basic packaging.

• 2 years later...