Deicide

BlackFuckingMetal666

Listening to this now... the sound is good, the parts are ok but not special, the chorus is boring, the song as a whole doesn't go anywhere. If this had come out in the early nineties, it still wouldn't have been awesome. They are phoning it in. It's a shame. Oooh look! I'm posting in a Deicide thread and my post count is "666" but upside down! Even more evil!

Re: Deicide

Sounds good. They started getting good on The Stench of Redemption. Their last few albums have been great death metal. Everything in between their first and Stench sucks horribly. I'll be getting this album.
I like Stench, but everything they did since (and a few before that album even) has been supremely dull and lame. After seeing them live, I can tell you that Glen is most definitely phoning it in, and other than Steve, the other dudes looked like they were going through the motions too. I'm also having a tough time believing that you like this track, as the level of boring repetition in it definitely reaches "play that same riff!" territory. Maybe if triplet riffs weren't used by every other death metal band on the planet with life behind them, then the opening riff wouldn't have been so bad, at least not the first 40 times they played it... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The song had some good leads and melodies, but yeah the main riff sounded like a breakdown riff that would have been perfect for the middle of a song instead of repeating constantly. At least this album has decent art! Also... my band used that same sample on our EP in 2011. Suck it, Benton!

I like Stench, but everything they did since (and a few before that album even) has been supremely dull and lame. After seeing them live, I can tell you that Glen is most definitely phoning it in, and other than Steve, the other dudes looked like they were going through the motions too. I'm also having a tough time believing that you like this track, as the level of boring repetition in it definitely reaches "play that same riff!" territory. Maybe if triplet riffs weren't used by every other death metal band on the planet with life behind them, then the opening riff wouldn't have been so bad, at least not the first 40 times they played it... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Believe it. It's good. Cope. And I've no problem believing they're phoning it it (minus Steve, I don't think he really has the luxury of phoning it in). Jack looked bored in Cannibal Corpse every time I saw them, but unfortunately for him that's where his fortune lies. He wants to play alternative but no one cares about it. Glen is probably burned out from a mixture of both the drama of his old band mates and life in the underground. He, like Jack, can't quit. They're institutionalized. It's not like they can go out and get regular jobs making livable wages with guitars/bassist/singer for ______ death metal band. It's probably very frustrating for them since they've obviously soured on this life style. They are a prime example of why investing your money wisely is so important.

Believe it. It's good. Cope. And I've no problem believing they're phoning it it (minus Steve' date=' I don't think he really has the luxury of phoning it in). Jack looked bored in Cannibal Corpse every time I saw them, but unfortunately for him that's where his fortune lies. He wants to play alternative but no one cares about it. Glen is probably burned out from a mixture of both the drama of his old band mates and life in the underground. He, like Jack, can't quit. They're institutionalized. It's not like they can go out and get regular jobs making livable wages with guitars/bassist/singer for ______ death metal band. It's probably very frustrating for them since they've obviously soured on this life style. They are a prime example of why investing your money wisely is so important.[/quote'] As FA said, even if they had released that song in their heyday, it still wouldn't be any good. Their delivery lacking passion, cause, or even interest in what their doing only hurts it more. Pick up Stench and listen to what Deicide sounded like when Ralph Santolla breathed new life into them, only for it to be snuffed out again immediately after. No soul, no character, nothing that really even sounds like death metal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

This song bears no resemblance to the Deicide I know. Ok so I'm essentially back to death metal noob status but still what the fuck happened to these guys?
I think Glen got lost with his head up his ass looking for more rhetoric. Legion was more vicious and technical than the debut (it's almost tech-death), and then Once Upon the Cross saw them dropping that for something more basic. It's still okay, but it foreshadowed their continuing downfall. The Stench of Redemption was done after the first lineup change in their entire band history, bringing in Ralph Santolla from Death and Iced Earth on Lead guitar and Jack Owen from Cannibal Corpse on rhythm. The riffs aren't the most exciting thing in the world, but they're really energetic and pair well with the fantastic leads. Glen also sounds like he got excited about death metal again on that album, but none of that magic lasted. I wouldn't call Stench better than their early stuff, but it was a great late period album, especially after the string of shit they had done. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It's easy to generalize, but that's a complex question with lots of different answers, and it's by no means a universal problem. I think a lot of American death metal bands embraced pop rock song structures as they acquired more visibility, probably due to a combination of label pressure and their own desire for greater commercial success - because at the time, writing songs that fit into radio formats was a necessity for any kind of widespread play. In hindsight, they watered down their sound, but that's not how it felt at the time.

It's easy to generalize' date=' but that's a complex question with lots of different answers, and it's by no means a universal problem. I think a lot of American death metal bands embraced pop rock song structures as they acquired more visibility, probably due to a combination of label pressure and their own desire for greater commercial success - because at the time, writing songs that fit into radio formats was a necessity for any kind of widespread play. In hindsight, they watered down their sound, but that's not how it felt at the time.[/quote'] Whereas most European death metal bands (especially in Scandinavia) broke up after 1-2 albums at most, or became grunge/pop/punk bands. Inspiration is not always an endless well, often times bands just run out of stuff to say. There are a lot of factors that play into it, but typically bands just want to keep doing what they love, and either lie to themselves by saying that they're still on the right track, or they just don't care. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I was just thinking out loud there. Consistency seems to be a real sticking point for a great many bands. It's odd though because at the same time consistency isn't an issue for many bands as well. Death are very consistent, Melechesh are very consistent and Orphaned Land are fairly consistent in terms of quality just to name a few.

As far as Death goes, funny story - they were noted for their stylistic inconsistency. People would say things like, "it's a Death album, you never know what you're going to get". People would rag on Chuck for "turning his back on thrash". Again, it's easy to look at it now and see a solid trajectory. I know you're talking about consistent quality, not stylistic choices.In a lot of cases they're almost mutually exclusive. I think bands have to be willing to keep pushing themselves to keep their music fresh and relevant, to themselves first out of anyone. Some writers (like Devin Townsend) find a set of themes that really work for them and keep, as he put it, "mining the veins" of those themes over the span of a few albums; others have to go all over the map for their inspiration. A lot of bands cave to internal or external pressure to stick with a sound that "worked" for them, once they have a career to maintain. Also, as BAN says, creativity is not a bottomless well. Some writers may only have one or two good albums in them, or may get tired of their original genre for whatever reason. And some collaborations that might be musically fertile are also personally volatile and unsustainable over the long term.