What's your opinion about pozer metalheads?

Downer

I don't care about posers. I know who I am, I know my music knowledge. I love to have great conversations with music lovers with great music knowledge as well to discover and vice versa. If someone looks like a poser and is bringing good points, I'll have a discussion. If the subject doesn't have interest for me, I'll skip, that's all. I'm lucky enough to have confidence in me. Some posers have that lack of confidence, looking to make friends. I prefer much more to talk with a poser than talk to someone who bullies posers. Envoyé de mon SGH-T999V en utilisant Tapatalk
Some solid points there, I just get irritated by posturing, whether by a poser attempting to fit in for no better reason than to appear cool to another group, or an elitist piece of shit with their head in their ass. People should be able to talk music without pretense, it's all subjective, so why try to objectify people's tastes via some imaginary set of criteria? Maybe along similar lines to your point, I would rather hang out with people who have little in common with me musically, but are open-minded, than a douchebag that likes everything that I do. The worst thing that you could ever do in a conversation is to assume that you know all that there is to know about any subject, not only does it prevent growth, but it makes you look like a jackass when you get some knowledge slapped down on you. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and would like to find out about. Not only have I found more stuff that I have liked as I have opened my mind and expanded my tastes further, I have gained a deeper appreciation and understanding for what I already knew that I liked, there's really no downside. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some solid points there, I just get irritated by posturing, whether by a poser attempting to fit in for no better reason than to appear cool to another group, or an elitist piece of shit with their head in their ass. People should be able to talk music without pretense, it's all subjective, so why try to objectify people's tastes via some imaginary set of criteria? Maybe along similar lines to your point, I would rather hang out with people who have little in common with me musically, but are open-minded, than a douchebag that likes everything that I do. The worst thing that you could ever do in a conversation is to assume that you know all that there is to know about any subject, not only does it prevent growth, but it makes you look like a jackass when you get some knowledge slapped down on you. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and would like to find out about. Not only have I found more stuff that I have liked as I have opened my mind and expanded my tastes further, I have gained a deeper appreciation and understanding for what I already knew that I liked, there's really no downside. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I totally agree with you. Great that you expended your taste, always a great thing to music lovers. Still it can be difficult to make sure we are in front of an open-minded person or a douchebag....it's still prejudice, right? Must be the protective woman in me that speaks ;))) Envoyé de mon SGH-T999V en utilisant Tapatalk

Back in the 80's when I was in high school the correlation between how a person dressed and what kind of music they professed to like was pretty strong and especially the distinction of who was authentically punk seems very divisive in my high schools (I went to three). No doubt that was because scarcely anyone in any of them was authentically punk. Anyway what ought the connection be? I guess how one dresses seems less important now a days. You all seem to be concerned more with a douchey bragging by some people about how much they know about Metal when they are really not that into it. That is a bit out of my realm of experience. I don't know too many people who are into Metal period. That is part of why I joined this forum, which in the beginning seemed to me like a bit of a poser move on my part. I don't feel like a poser really, just fairly ignorant. I do like Metal fashion though, even if I dress in corduroy and hippie vests. What if someone really likes the way a band t-shirt looks but can't stand the music, does it make them a poser if they wear it? If its a tour shirt and they didn't make it to any of the shows listed on the back I feel it's unconscionable to wear it, but if it's just badassed I don't know. I'd love to wear a Celtic Frost shirt, but I don't listen to them ever, so maybe someone should caution me there. Go ahead.

I have two tour shirts that I still wear even though I didn't go to the gigs, because I really like the two bands. As for wearing a metal shirt when you're not into metal - it might not be indicative of any obnoxious mindset on your part but the impression metalheads will probably get is of a poser. However, if you said 'actually I don't listen to them, I just like the shirt' then I suspect people would leave you alone. They'd be a bit disappointed but not pissed. What would piss them off would be if you acted as if you were a big fan.

Back in the 80's when I was in high school the correlation between how a person dressed and what kind of music they professed to like was pretty strong and especially the distinction of who was authentically punk seems very divisive in my high schools (I went to three). No doubt that was because scarcely anyone in any of them was authentically punk. Anyway what ought the connection be? I guess how one dresses seems less important now a days. You all seem to be concerned more with a douchey bragging by some people about how much they know about Metal when they are really not that into it. That is a bit out of my realm of experience. I don't know too many people who are into Metal period. That is part of why I joined this forum, which in the beginning seemed to me like a bit of a poser move on my part. I don't feel like a poser really, just fairly ignorant. I do like Metal fashion though, even if I dress in corduroy and hippie vests. What if someone really likes the way a band t-shirt looks but can't stand the music, does it make them a poser if they wear it? If its a tour shirt and they didn't make it to any of the shows listed on the back I feel it's unconscionable to wear it, but if it's just badassed I don't know. I'd love to wear a Celtic Frost shirt, but I don't listen to them ever, so maybe someone should caution me there. Go ahead.
Posers tend to worry about "looking the part" out of (my guess anyway) insecurity and lack of actual knowledge, but just as many "true fans" conform to the typical "fashions" of any given scene. I personally don't give two shits how people choose to dress, because it has nothing to do with the music. I wear what I feel comfortable in, which is a t-shirt and jeans, some people like patch jackets, vests, leather jackets, hats/beanies, etc... which is cool if you're into that stuff. The most knowledgeable metal dudes I know look like normal guys, you probably wouldn't know anything about their taste in music by looking at them, but it has nothing to do with what they like musically. As far as wearing a shirt of a band you don't know, that's on you. I don't buy shirts from bands I don't know, unless they blow me away live, in which case I buy a shirt and bump buying their albums up to the top if my list. That's my preference though, and the poser thing to do would be to wear that shirt to fit in if you don't know the band, but if you like it for other reasons? I don't see a problem. Maybe you like the art, maybe you know someone in the band and want to support them, or in my wife's case, she just likes wearing metal shirts with me and borrowing my shirts because she likes wearing them. Whatever, I think worrying about it is a bigger problem than doing it, because who fucking cares? Hopefully you dig it here, if you do and you're participating, it doesn't matter what you listen to, you're no poser in my book. There are plenty of people here who listen to bands that I can't stand, but they're good to converse with and are here for the same reasons, to talk metal and learn more about it. Even the most experienced among us has TONS to learn, and anyone who thinks otherwise is full of shit. I know I have had my arrogant moments and have caught well justified verbal beatdowns for it, because I was being a know-it-all douche, and didn't realize how ignorant I truly was. Just be cool, state your opinions, listen to others, and you'll do fine here. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The most knowledgeable metal dudes I know look like normal guys' date=' you probably wouldn't know anything about their taste in music by looking at them, but it has nothing to do with what they like musically.[/quote'] Yeah, I learned my lesson about that this year when I met that one girl who turned out to be a metalhead. She actually dresses kind of like a mild hipster, to be honest - but the fact that she wore a pair of these military-style boots kind of suggested to me she was different.

Some girl I know at school listened to black metal before. Specifically, Mayhem and Burzum. For one evening. The next day, she came to school claiming that she could explain everything having to do with Dead, Varg and Euronymous. But she couldn't even tell me what country they were from. :| How she figured out who these people are, I have no idea. She must've started watching Until the Light Takes Us and fainted as soon as she saw Dead's... dead body. I'm not implying that she or people that do this are posers, but don't act like you know everything when you don't even have the slightest clue. Because some posers do that. OR, if you do seem to know plenty of shit, don't get stuck-up and judge people just because they don't. :| As for the girl, I didn't instantly get hostile with her about it or anything. Instead I told her if she likes the music (turns out she does), that she should keep listening, try some more bands, and rewatch UtLTU. :D

Bands politics? What do you mean? :lol:
Well, who hates who and what each band member personally believes and which scenes are feuding. Now I do care when Joseph Duplantier says he doesn't care whether the Sea Shepherds are terrorists or not, while supporting them in Gojira's music videos - but usually it's not relevant to me. If the artist is discussing their lyrics or the musical direction they want to take, I'll listen, but generally I'm not interested.

Some girl I know at school listened to black metal before. Specifically, Mayhem and Burzum. For one evening. The next day, she came to school claiming that she could explain everything having to do with Dead, Varg and Euronymous. But she couldn't even tell me what country they were from. :| How she figured out who these people are, I have no idea. She must've started watching Until the Light Takes Us and fainted as soon as she saw Dead's... dead body. I'm not implying that she or people that do this are posers, but don't act like you know everything when you don't even have the slightest clue. Because some posers do that. OR, if you do seem to know plenty of shit, don't get stuck-up and judge people just because they don't. :| As for the girl, I didn't instantly get hostile with her about it or anything. Instead I told her if she likes the music (turns out she does), that she should keep listening, try some more bands, and rewatch UtLTU. :D
I guess that was kind of my point when talking about not thinking that you know all that there is to know, or even more than someone else about any given genre (or anything, really), because you would be surprised at how much more there will always be out there to learn. Besides, it can be difficult to hear and appreciate new bands properly if your ears are surrounded by rectum with your head up your ass. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2