What's your opinion about pozer metalheads?

Downer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally it's the case that metalheads don't necessarily love Satan' date=' they just hate the Catholic church...[/quote'] I don't think this is true in most cases. I would rather suspect there's an underlying spiritual belief, which is not necessarily Satanism but could be even the smallest feeling or opinion, which shows itself in music not by being exhibited directly, but by breaking down some of the most common beliefs in society (nowadays). It would naturally seem to add agression to the message, but may not express genuine hatred.

Re: What's your opinion about pozer metalheads?

I don't think this is true in most cases. I would rather suspect there's an underlying spiritual belief' date=' which is not necessarily Satanism but could be even the smallest feeling or opinion, which shows itself in music not by being exhibited directly, but by breaking down some of the most common beliefs in society (nowadays). It would naturally seem to add agression to the message, but may not express genuine hatred.[/quote'] That's an interesting post. What I think you're saying is that there's an undercurrent of rebelliousness that exists for its own sake - maybe that the music expresses things that some people feel naturally, and having a particular object for their anger is secondary? Is that right? If that's what you were getting at, I tend to agree. The point Iceni was making, in context, is similar - that it's the spirit of rebellion against the oppressive aspects of (for instance) Christian religion, rather than actual devotion to Satan, that drives their use of Satanic themes.

Now that Fred Phelps has died, the rest of the membership may wane. We'll see. What's good is that nowadays, they always get lots of opponents turning out to block them. For instance, whenever WBC tries to mess with military funerals, a lot of bikers come out instead. :)

What is funny is one day I said to my mates that I hope the Westboro baptist church and the founder would burn in hell and die' date=' and I would ask Satan to put a curse one him(this is no joke guys xD) then a week later, Fred Phelps dies.[/quote'] -Doesn't believe in Satan -Asks Satan for a favor anyway -Satan apparently grants favor ...what happens next? :D

I don't think this is true in most cases. I would rather suspect there's an underlying spiritual belief' date=' which is not necessarily Satanism but could be even the smallest feeling or opinion, which shows itself in music not by being exhibited directly, but by breaking down some of the most common beliefs in society (nowadays). It would naturally seem to add agression to the message, but may not express genuine hatred.[/quote'] awesome statement! so true

Re: What's your opinion about pozer metalheads?

everymetalhead is a poser...c'mon really.. difference is some of us pose for ourselves(or just want to show there colours to the world \m/) and other pose to try and get others to like them
But we do what makes us happy and don't change because others might not like it. A poser pretends to change who they are in order to pretend they have the same interests I believe many do so because they want to rebel, but have no outlet. Given that us metal heads are pretty rad people, we embrace new friends, metal listeners or not. Humans want to emulate and belong. Posers change because they have no other way to feel accepted - even if they already are accepted by the people they are around. To dress and join in topical conversations about bands by often paraphrasing what they have heard from others on separate occasions makes them think they are pulling the wool over the eyes of those they are posing to be with. Just my two cents on it. Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Based on the original post, there seems to be a presumption that people listen to metal for reasons other than the music in the first place. I've honestly never encountered anyone who listened to metal for it's style or something. I have, however, seen a lot of people who say they love metal and listen to Linkin Park/Slipknot etc called 'posers' for genuinely liking that pop side of metal, which I think is ridiculous. I think I'd prefer these 'posers' to purists anyway (unless they can't handle my disliking the aforementioned pop bands :D)

Based on the original post' date=' there seems to be a presumption that people listen to metal for reasons other than the music in the first place. I've honestly never encountered anyone who listened to metal for it's style or something. I have, however, seen a lot of people who say they love metal and listen to Linkin Park/Slipknot etc called 'posers' for genuinely liking that pop side of metal, which I think is ridiculous. I think I'd prefer these 'posers' to purists anyway (unless they can't handle my disliking the aforementioned pop bands :D)[/quote'] I have known plenty of people that were getting into more mainstream metal bands when it was experiencing a resurgence, but it was more out of an ironic hipster style love for pop-culture like Metalocalypse and Guitar Hero, which reduce metal to a superficial joke about their perception of its lowest common denominator elements. They have missed the point entirely, and were only listening to metal to seem hip and fall in line with cultural stereotypes of the time. These people are posers, and I can't think of any of them that still listen to metal. As far as your comment about "metalheads" who like Linkin Park and Slipknot, they will likely always incur scrutiny from metal fans due to these bands doing the same marginalizing of metal elements to pander to another side of pop culture that the aforementioned pop-culture icons would, as this negates the whole purpose and motivation of metal in the first place. These people calling themselves metalheads is no different than me buying a Green Day album, raiding my local Hot Topic's wardrobe, and calling myself a punk. People can like whatever they want, but trying their hardest to imitate a stereotype will make you a poser no matter what you are posing as. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Again, though, you're making an assumption of the motives of people who listen to pop metal bands. I listened to a lot of Slipknot, Linkin Park and other nu/metalcore bands when I was first getting into metal as a little kid, and I still listen to Disturbed/Rammstein every once in a while. Besides, what about bands considered 'true' but at the same time are very commercial in terms of sales? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Megadeth are all very high sellers, for example (and it's usually their earlier albums that make the money, like Covenant with Morbid Angel or Peace Sells with Megadeth). But anyway, when I listened to these bands I was still into heavy metal for the fact that it was heavier, faster and far more unique than music I'd heard before, and it touched me in a very personal way. For example, I was heavily bullied as a kid and I could really relate to Slipknot's super-angry early albums. I don't think that made me a poser--it just meant I hadn't been exposed to the rest of what metal had to offer. But I suppose I can agree with you in part about the Guitar Hero thing, but the reason I can't fully agree is that I honestly wasn't into Slayer or Metallica until after I heard some of their songs on Guitar Hero, and the same thing happened with my brother and his friends. Although we were already into metal, just not familiar with those particular bands, so I guess that's part of the reason we still listen to the genre. I suppose that the people who liked a song or two off Guitar Hero and then didn't pursue metal past that were just very casual listeners, but I've never seen anyone totally take up metal style and aesthetic and just drop it later. I guess that happened a lot in the 80s when everyone listened to Iron Maiden and Guns 'n' Roses? I wasn't around for that, though.

I don't think the term 'poser' can be linked to the subgenre of metal one listens to. Whether it's a poppy kind of metal or not, it's still metal. In my opinion 'posers' are people who use metal to be part of a subculture while not giving a single **** about the music itself.

Again, though, you're making an assumption of the motives of people who listen to pop metal bands. I listened to a lot of Slipknot, Linkin Park and other nu/metalcore bands when I was first getting into metal as a little kid, and I still listen to Disturbed/Rammstein every once in a while. Besides, what about bands considered 'true' but at the same time are very commercial in terms of sales? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Megadeth are all very high sellers, for example (and it's usually their earlier albums that make the money, like Covenant with Morbid Angel or Peace Sells with Megadeth). But anyway, when I listened to these bands I was still into heavy metal for the fact that it was heavier, faster and far more unique than music I'd heard before, and it touched me in a very personal way. For example, I was heavily bullied as a kid and I could really relate to Slipknot's super-angry early albums. I don't think that made me a poser--it just meant I hadn't been exposed to the rest of what metal had to offer. But I suppose I can agree with you in part about the Guitar Hero thing, but the reason I can't fully agree is that I honestly wasn't into Slayer or Metallica until after I heard some of their songs on Guitar Hero, and the same thing happened with my brother and his friends. Although we were already into metal, just not familiar with those particular bands, so I guess that's part of the reason we still listen to the genre. I suppose that the people who liked a song or two off Guitar Hero and then didn't pursue metal past that were just very casual listeners, but I've never seen anyone totally take up metal style and aesthetic and just drop it later. I guess that happened a lot in the 80s when everyone listened to Iron Maiden and Guns 'n' Roses? I wasn't around for that, though.
I'm making no assumptions about the motives of listeners, my point was that pop bands like the ones mentioned (Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc...) are not metal. Listening to them does not make one a poser, but claiming to be a metalhead and trying your hardest to fit in when that is what you would rather be listening to does. One of the most die-hard metal fans I know is a also huge Kittie fan, and other than that being somewhat embarrasing IMO, it doesn't detract from anything, but he likes what he likes and they happen to be a part of that. Most of what he listens to is metal, so I wouldn't call him a poser, but if he was claiming that he liked bands which he really didn't just to conform to what he thought people wanted him to like, that would be a different story. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

im a pozer pozer is necessary wen u have something to convey... its not that its out of the metal head attitude... if u r in a band.. ul definitely need some publicity... after all music is abt showcasing our feelings... right from the beginning metal is been like " hey, u heard dat song? its exactly wat i thinkk, its depicts the story of my life, it carries my feelings"... im a pozer.. i write song.. i showcase them i pubilsize them not coz i want to be famous jus cos i write abt myself n i want my fellow metal heads to feel better by listening to my songs..

*sarcastic claps* congratulations you've managed to post the same unintelligible comment three times. Perhaps you think by repeating yourself we might finish reading the post. Sorry but if you're too lazy to spell words out you can expect to be met with similar apathy. Especially when covering such a meaningless topic.

huh.. common stop being sarcastic abt this.. be frank in telling me wat u dint like abt it man.. if i feel the need of change ill surely impliment.. coz metal has always been open to changes n im metal.. and sorry abt posting three times or somethin its my internet prob so i wouldnt mind abt it if i was u

I don't care about posers. I know who I am, I know my music knowledge. I love to have great conversations with music lovers with great music knowledge as well to discover and vice versa. If someone looks like a poser and is bringing good points, I'll have a discussion. If the subject doesn't have interest for me, I'll skip, that's all. I'm lucky enough to have confidence in me. Some posers have that lack of confidence, looking to make friends. I prefer much more to talk with a poser than talk to someone who bullies posers. Envoyé de mon SGH-T999V en utilisant Tapatalk