The Movie Thread

radio master666

Too many movies fall into that trap. With movies about tha paranormal I feell often times they would be better if they made the viewer think more. That's why I liked the first Paranormal Activity. What happens on camera is creepy but a lot of the film is actually off camera making the viewer think for themselves. The demons of one's own imagining are far more frightening then the ghouls spawned by films. My favourite movie of all time though is still Shawshank Redemption.

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone has a thread about movies already, but I think it turned out to be more about horror films. This thread is meant to cover movies from all genres. Feel free to post about your favorite movie, least favorite, or a movie you've seen recently. I have also been writing reviews for my job's newsletter that i'd like to share with you guys. ____________ Pacific Rim (7/10) In the year 2020, a dimensional portal opens up in the Pacific Ocean, and our world is besieged by giant monsters called Kaiju (Japanese for ‘strange creature’). In response, humanity created large robots called Jaegars (German for ‘hunter’) to fight these creatures. Unfortunately, the Kaiju are winning, and it’s up to a washed-up former pilot and a rookie to save humanity from being annihilated. Pacific Rim is the brainchild of Guillermo Del Toro, visionary director of such visually striking films as Hellboy and Pan’s Labyrinth. Pacific Rim isn’t a remake or a movie ‘based on anything’ (aside from Del Toro’s love of old-school monster movies), which is refreshing considering Hollywood’s nauseating obsession with sequels, remakes, and superhero comic adaptions. First, and foremost, the CGI in Pacific Rim is some of the best you will ever see. The Jaegars and Kaiju look awesome, especially when they are beating the tar out of each other (and destroy cities in the process). It is definitely worth the 3D upcharge. Del Toro’s film also features a well-developed and colorful cast that keeps the film from being ‘all-style no-substance’, like similar big-budget action films like Transformers and Battleship. A noteworthy performance comes from Dr. Newton Geiszler (played by Charlie Day of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia fame), a very enthusiastic and easily-excitable scientist that provides some big laughs and crucial insight into the Kaiju and how to defeat them. Ron Perlman has a memorable, but brief role as the Black Market Kaiju organ dealer Hannibal Chou (whose name comes from his favorite historical figure and his second-favorite Chinese restaurant). Details like how the robots operate, where the monsters come from and some of their biological facts (often provided animatedly by the aforementioned Doctor) are not only clever, but they give the world a certain degree of plausibility, another feature often absent from similar films. There is also a quick scene mid-credits which is worth sticking around for. Pacific Rim is not without flaws, though. At points, the dialogue was hard to hear, although this may have been the theater’s fault. A few moments in the film will cause viewers to think “Why didn’t they just do that before?” For example: towards the end of the second act, the Jaegar piloted by the two main heroes suddenly unveils a blade attachment that can slice a Kaiju with ease, clearly more effective than punching and throwing said beast for 10 minutes (though admittedly less exciting). The fight scenes in the second act are so thrilling and over-the-top that the third act feels short and weak in comparison. While the cast is strong and there are surprisingly few cliché/cheesy lines, the rookie and the washed-up pilot (the two main heroes) are not as well-developed as some of the other characters. All of the battle scenes are a treat to watch, but they take place either in the pouring rain or underwater. This doesn’t deter from the enjoyment of the film, but to watch the two opposing forces duke it out on a sunny day (or even a cloudy one) would’ve be nice, so we could see them more clearly. The good far outweighs the bad when it comes to Pacific Rim, and you probably won’t ever see a more fun or intelligent monster movie.

Nice review. I'd been avoiding Pacific Rim, but I might go check it out. I hardly ever see movies in the theater anymore because of the young one, but the truth is I didn't go that much to begin with. There are a few horror movies I like (Dead Alive, Shaun Of The Dead, Evil Dead 2 - the funny ones) but the genre as a whole doesn't do much for me. I like Hitchcock, Suspiria bores me, I despise the Saw series. I like Shakespeare movies. My favorite movie of all time has got to be Titus, Julie Taymore's adaptation of Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus". Long, bitter, beautiful, violent, well-acted, awesome music. The feel of the end credits theme is something I've been trying to duplicate in parts of my music for years. I've also found myself enjoying a good few of the comic book movies, and I'm finally opening up to silly comedies over the past few years. I used to only watch really depressing shit. I'm reminded more and more of a conversation I had with a co-worker when I was a teenager. We were talking about movies, and I mentioned a few that I liked, and she said, "Why would you want to watch that stuff? Life's hard enough as it is." I didn't agree at the time. Now I know exactly what she meant.

The new Riddick movie was awsome the best schene was when riddick kick the machete at the one bounty hunter decaptitating him. His head fell right in to the box awsome schene
I saw it this past weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. It was definitely the best of the three movies. It reminded me of the Alien series actually, like how the characters were getting picked off one by one.

I'm just speaking for myself. If nothing else, the special effects are vastly improved. The new one has gotten slightly better reviews than Pitch Black. I will probably have to see the new Hunger Games when it comes out, since most of the time my gf and I go to see movies I want to see. Our tastes are mostly in-line, but I was very disappointed to hear she liked The Hunger Games :/

Hunger Games' date=' eh? I haven't seen it. I tried reading the first book to see what it was all about, but it was complete dreck and I couldn't force myself past the first chapter. Reminds me of when the Da Vinci Code came out and "blew people's minds".[/quote'] I haven't read either of the books (saw Angels and Demons), but I know enough about The Hunger Games to know that it's young adult drivel. It's probably not any better/worse than Eragon, which makes me want to cut my eyes out.

I haven't read either of the books (saw Angels and Demons)' date=' but I know enough about The Hunger Games to know that it's young adult drivel. It's probably not any better/worse than Eragon, which makes me want to cut my eyes out.[/quote'] For those of you who have cut your eyes out in disgust, Eragon is now available as a series of audiobooks... That shit is terrible. It's so derivative it's not even funny. Someone got my wife the books as a Christmas present, and I read them. Had to read Lord Of The Rings directly afterwards to get rid of the taste.

For those of you who have cut your eyes out in disgust, Eragon is now available as a series of audiobooks... That shit is terrible. It's so derivative it's not even funny. Someone got my wife the books as a Christmas present, and I read them. Had to read Lord Of The Rings directly afterwards to get rid of the taste.
I enjoyed them when I was younger, but going back and trying to read them a couple years ago was painful.

I've actually never made it past the first part of the LOTR book. I get my fill of Tolkien via Blind Guardian and the LOTR movies. There's probably an audio book version of it which would greatly improve my chances of finishing the story. Speaking of book to movie conversions has anyone else seen Stephen King's The Mist? It's been out for a while now and I watched it for the second time ever yesterday. Somehow my opinion of the movie has greatly reduced and that's saying a lot given I had it down as the worst movie I've ever seen after the first view.