I'm curious, what are the ages of users around here?

emprorzurg

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's ok if you do. I started crying at sappy movies sometime in my early thirties. It hits everybody in different ways.

...but start liking anything past Amok and I'm disowning you.

Even Amok is pretty weak. I bought it used and only listened to it once, but I'll revisit it in a few months and see if I missed something before I trade it in. 

14 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's ok if you do. I started crying at sappy movies sometime in my early thirties. It hits everybody in different ways.

...but start liking anything past Amok and I'm disowning you.

By the by, are you two guys into much rock based music at all? It sometimes seems to me that your enjoyment of metal is based on a descending scale of tolerance from extreme to rock based, and that the rock based don't stand much of a chance in the Battle of the Bands comp inside your head. I could be wrong but that's the vibe I get in many instances.

I just find albums like 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', 'The Cold White Light' and Woods of Ypres' 'Woods 5' just so emotional and effective. As in, favourite albums of all time effective. They hit me where it hurts, but they seem to leave you guys feeling as if you've just put on your grandma's Barbara Streisand records... 

12 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Even Amok is pretty weak. I bought it used and only listened to it once, but I'll revisit it in a few months and see if I missed something before I trade it in. 

How can you really like 'North From Here' and not 'Amok'? They're not that different.

44 minutes ago, Requiem said:

By the by, are you two guys into much rock based music at all? It sometimes seems to me that your enjoyment of metal is based on a descending scale of tolerance from extreme to rock based, and that the rock based don't stand much of a chance in the Battle of the Bands comp inside your head. I could be wrong but that's the vibe I get in many instances.

I just find albums like 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', 'The Cold White Light' and Woods of Ypres' 'Woods 5' just so emotional and effective. As in, favourite albums of all time effective. They hit me where it hurts, but they seem to leave you guys feeling as if you've just put on your grandma's Barbara Streisand records... 

That's a good observation, and in a way, you're right - rock songwriting has the potential to really turn me off, especially in an extreme metal context, which is part of why I don't enjoy "Slaughter Of The Soul" and "Heartwork" for instance. I can't generalize too much, though. I love some rock-based bands (Katatonia, Deftones, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Type O Negative, etc etc), and that kind of music could just as easily suit my mood on any particular day. I suppose it all comes down to the particulars of a band's sound and my own taste. I dislike later Sentenced because of Ville's voice more than anything else.

14 hours ago, Requiem said:

How can you really like 'North From Here' and not 'Amok'? They're not that different.

It has nothing to do with the music being rock based or influenced for me, I just can't get into that dull 90's alt-rock sound that all of these bands went for after they decided metal wasn't for them anymore. A lot of Katatonia's alternative stuff just reminds me of Adema and Cold, poppy and angsty radio rock. I tend not to like much Gothic rock either, like Sisters of Mercy and their ilk, so bands like Sentenced who just add a bit more guitar distortion to that formula with their later releases do nothing for me. 

Unless I've forgotten something since the last time I heard it, Amok and North From Here are totally different. While it does support your thesis that I previously refuted, it is more rock based, but not in a good way. Instead of adding in the raucous excitement and energy of rock and roll (which I do like) to metal, it seemed to just peel back their layers and make a stripped down, phoned in lazy pile of "blah". I saw so many glowing reviews of it and expected to be wowed by this "great melodic death metal album", but I don't hear much death metal in it, not anything to get excited about. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Not to mention you'd probably burst into flames in direct sunlight. :D

A reading from the Book of Heavy Metal, Chapter 7 verse 3-6.

"It was at the twelfth hour, around midday that Ghouly was seen to emerge from the dwelling; and upon her egress the beams were found to reflect from her visage and pierce the clouds. And Helios was afflicted with blindness, and he was laid up for a time on medical leave. Thus it was that the heavens were overcast on the outskirts of San Fran in the land of Cali, for seven days and seven nights. And amongst the Katatonia fans there was much rejoicing."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

48...I am old...BUT...

- I got to see Ozzy with Randy Rhoads

- got to see Metallica with Cliff

- was around when NWOBHM was actually new (my 3rd concert ever was Judas Priest and Iron Maiden on the Screaming For Vengeance/Number of The Beast tour)..so  I also got to see Maiden with Clive Burr...forgot about that

will always be a metal head. Saw sooooo many of my friends "grow up" and grow out of metal, usually to get into other absolutely LAME generes of music...I call it "falseing" out. 

On 14/12/2017 at 4:27 AM, xUpTheIronsx said:

48...I am old...BUT...

No buts required. Being older is awesome for a number of reasons. In 2017 things are different to 1977 when 50 was perceived as old and limiting. These days we live in the age of falling barriers. Anything is possible. 

Besides, if there's one thing I've learned (and there isn't), it's that nothing is old once you get past that point. I work with people who are turning 30 and they're getting all worried about it, feeling that they're old. 

When I'm in my 60s I'll look back at 48 as baby years! In my 80s I'll see my 60s as the prime of life. 

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

No buts required. Being older is awesome for a number of reasons. In 2017 things are different to 1977 when 50 was perceived as old and limiting. These days we live in the age of falling barriers. Anything is possible. 

Besides, if there's one thing I've learned (and there isn't), it's that nothing is old once you get past that point. I work with people who are turning 30 and they're getting all worried about it, feeling that they're old. 

When I'm in my 60s I'll look back at 48 as baby years! In my 80s I'll see my 60s as the prime of life. 

I've reached the point in my 20s where 30 no longer seems old.