I'm curious, what are the ages of users around here?

emprorzurg

On 12/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, Requiem said:

No buts required. Being older is awesome for a number of reasons. In 2017 things are different to 1977 when 50 was perceived as old and limiting. These days we live in the age of falling barriers. Anything is possible. 

Besides, if there's one thing I've learned (and there isn't), it's that nothing is old once you get past that point. I work with people who are turning 30 and they're getting all worried about it, feeling that they're old. 

When I'm in my 60s I'll look back at 48 as baby years! In my 80s I'll see my 60s as the prime of life. 

I totally hear ya!!! Most of the time, my mind still feels like it is 17...my body often reminds me that I am 48 physically, but for the most part, I still act and feel 17-22. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I guess that makes me a baby too...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

The downward slide is real. Big difference for me even between a couple years ago and now, I have to work a lot harder to keep up my physical and mental well-being and my overall energy level. My friends in their forties assure me that I haven't seen anything yet.

The downward slide is real. Big difference for me even between a couple years ago and now, I have to work a lot harder to keep up my physical and mental well-being and my overall energy level. My friends in their forties assure me that I haven't seen anything yet.
This is a legitimate concern for me. Growing up, I never thought past thirty, as though I didn't think I would make it this far.

9 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

This is a legitimate concern for me. Growing up, I never thought past thirty, as though I didn't think I would make it this far.

There was a time when I didn't think I would either. I still have a weird sense of futurelessness that I've had for a long time - or maybe it would be more accurate to describe it as a lack of any sense of a future - but that's starting to get better. Good sleep, diet, exercise, real relaxation, and time to myself have become more and more essential, while at the same time feeling farther and farther out of reach, but at least I have a direction to point myself in.

There was a time when I didn't think I would either. I still have a weird sense of futurelessness that I've had for a long time - or maybe it would be more accurate to describe it as a lack of any sense of a future - but that's starting to get better. Good sleep, diet, exercise, real relaxation, and time to myself have become more and more essential, while at the same time feeling farther and farther out of reach, but at least I have a direction to point myself in.
I hope you can get it. Eating better is one thing, but making time for exercise is really difficult. I have to get up at 4:30 if I want to have any hope of making it to the gym, but if one of any number of things fuck up my sleep (dogs waking me up to go outside, kids having nightmares, stress, random shit like smoke detectors running out of batteries, etc...), then it's not happening. That's the problem I had this week, and I haven't made it at all this week because of catching up from not sleeping hardly at all on Sunday night. This shit isn't easy...

On 3/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

I hope you can get it. Eating better is one thing, but making time for exercise is really difficult. I have to get up at 4:30 if I want to have any hope of making it to the gym, but if one of any number of things fuck up my sleep (dogs waking me up to go outside, kids having nightmares, stress, random shit like smoke detectors running out of batteries, etc...), then it's not happening. That's the problem I had this week, and I haven't made it at all this week because of catching up from not sleeping hardly at all on Sunday night. This shit isn't easy...

The gym, along with insurance, is one of the greatest swindles of our age. I'm too cowardly to not get insurance though. 

I'm looking forward to hitting my prime at about 47. It's going to be great. 

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

The gym, along with insurance, is one of the greatest swindles of our age. I'm too cowardly to not get insurance though. 

My wife is a gym member, and we have health insurance, so I can attest to the accuracy of this. 

I disagree. I feel great when I work out, I'm all about staying fit. Time doesn't often allow for it though. Health insurance is definitely a scam though, especially in this country.

On 2018-03-29 at 4:28 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Funny enough, I will turn 49 come September and I have, both physically and mentally, never felt better. I do exercise a lot, but I actually really enjoy it. I hit rock bottom in my early 30's and began to feel old and feeling miserable about it, but instead of staying down there, somehow I managed to climb all the way up again. But with that said: had I not been exercising several times a week, then I would most likely feel a lot different, both in body and mind, I have a tendency to depressions and exercising keeps them at bay!

And I used to hate my baby face (looking 12 when you were 25 really sucked) but now I love it :grin:

The problem I have now is that when I tell people that I can remember watching Headbangers Ball back in the 80's and early 90's, then I am accused of lying, people say like "You cannot remember that, you were watching kid's T.V and fast a sleep in bed, when Headbangers was on" and I am all like "Was not!!!" :grin:

Another problem is other people's attitude towards me exercise a lot and eating/drinking healthy. I could never dream of dictating other people's exercise and eating/drinking habits. I assume that anyone past the age of 14 or so is aware of the fact that your body is your responsability and since I am not anyone's mother, then I mind my own business. But I have experienced peoples cutting their strings to me, because I am  too fit or something like that.Spending 1-2 hours every early morning and not being too fond of cakes and junk food is as apparently enough to scare many away!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'll be turning 40 in about three months and I find myself thinking I already am. I wonder how my grandma does with this, she's 98 and she tells me time never stops feeling like it's getting faster.

98 is quite an age to achieve! Certainly, I've noticed things get faster. I can't say I noticed the process of things speeding up - only that a week is over before I know it these days. Maybe something has happened to our sampling rates - or maybe it's because our brains have learned enough that we fill in the blanks for anything mundane and repetitive to conserve our energy.

40 sounds a little scary, though it is calling me too. I guess you've been preparing yourself for it mentally. No prep here. I'm just going to wake up in a mid-life crisis.

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'll be turning 40 in about three months and I find myself thinking I already am. I wonder how my grandma does with this, she's 98 and she tells me time never stops feeling like it's getting faster.

Imagine our whole life divided into 98 tiny little years. 

For you and me, we have our ancient lives divided into 40. 

My children have their epic lives divided into 8 and 6. 

No wonder the years feel faster for the 98 year old and slower for the 6 year olds. Bigger and smaller slices of their existence, and existence is all. 

I also turn 40 this year, at the end of November. 

5 hours ago, Unaspected said:

98 is quite an age to achieve! Certainly, I've noticed things get faster. I can't say I noticed the process of things speeding up - only that a week is over before I know it these days. Maybe something has happened to our sampling rates - or maybe it's because our brains have learned enough that we fill in the blanks for anything mundane and repetitive to conserve our energy.

40 sounds a little scary, though it is calling me too. I guess you've been preparing yourself for it mentally. No prep here. I'm just going to wake up in a mid-life crisis.

For sure, it's almost certainly some kind of semi-conscious mental prep. My body's been reminding me that I'm not in my 20s more and more frequently over the past few years, too. Weeks go by in a blur, even months kind of blend together. Seasons feel like months used to. I imagine it's what you suggest -- a natural human tendency to attach more significance to the new or unusual things, and less to the mundane -- that gathers most of my waking moments into little balls of non-eventhood, at least in retrospect. It's funny how months can seem to go by so quickly, but hours can still drag on...

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

Imagine our whole life divided into 98 tiny little years. 

For you and me, we have our ancient lives divided into 40. 

My children have their epic lives divided into 8 and 6. 

No wonder the years feel faster for the 98 year old and slower for the 6 year olds. Bigger and smaller slices of their existence, and existence is all. 

I also turn 40 this year, at the end of November. 

It's always a kind of neat thought experiment to try and see things from my son's perspective, and remember how a week used to feel like an eternity, and how excited I got about little things. And really frustrating sometimes trying to explain things that don't fit in his frame yet. I'm naturally impatient, and it runs in the family...