The Wyrd Ways Rock Show!

ThunderGod

For those of you that don't know, The Wyrd Ways Rock Show is a weekly Hard Rock and Metal podcast that I’ve been doing since 2008. It began as an attempt to channel the spirit of The Friday Rock Show, a late, very much lamented radio show here in the UK. It was presented by the late, great Tommy Vance and produced by Tony Wilson, who now runs Bloodstock Radio.com. It was The Friday Rock Show that brought me into listening to Metal back when I was a 14 year old boy back in the late 80′s. As Ginger (The Wildhearts) once told me during an interview “It was your education”. He’s right. It was. It was through Tommy Vance and those nights tucked under the covers listening to the radio that introduced me to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Guns N’ Roses, Bang Tango, Kiss, Alice Cooper and many others. Not long after, legendary DJ Alan “Fluff” Freeman added a Saturday Night Rock Show to Radio 1′s line-up, delving deep into the BBC archives and filling the request show niche that the listeners obviously wanted. Unfortunately the management at Radio 1 didn’t agree. After Tommy and Fluff left the BBC, the Friday Rock Show limped on as the bands lost confidence in it. It went through another couple of presenters before it finally died. It’s my hope that through the podcast (which can be found at http://www.wyrdwaysrs.com), news page and the review column, I can do the same thing for some of my listeners that Tommy did for me. I’ve spoken to Tony Wilson recently. He told me that Tommy (or “TV” as he referred to him) would have been amazed at the number of people he inspired to follow in his footsteps. If it's OK with the mods, I'll be posting details about each week's show right here on this thread. If you want to get in touch to enter competitions or suggest bands (including your own, if you're in one!) for airplay, post here, DM me or or head over to the website or Faceache page.

What have we got for you this week in show CCLIV, then? How about interviews with The More I See and Avenged Sevenfold? How about brand new material from Running Wild, Turisas and Onslaught? Talking of The More I See, make sure you pay special attention to the interview. There's a competition in there to win a copy of their new album, Disappearing Humans. Get yourself over to http://www.wyrdwaysrs.com to give it a listen. The Wyrd Ways Rock Show also appears as part of The Cast Iron Ring and internet radio stations such as Planet Mosh, Rock Stars Glued and Radio Metal On – The Heavy. See their listings for details. If you want me to mention your gigs or play your music on the show, get in touch.

Cool stuff, man. I picked up on a lot of bands from my local equivalent when I was a teenager - "Chainsaw Rock" came on local college radio at midnight on Fridays, usually presided over by "The Unholy One" - a DJ named Tom who would growl every comment almost unintelligibly. I heard Naglfar and wound up buying a Nevermore CD because I couldn't tell what he had said... The one other thing he'd do would be to sell a lot of his CDs on consignment after he played them for a little while, which is how I wound up with my first copy of Opeth's "Morningrise", back when it wasn't being distributed over here.

Cast your minds back to August this year and to a field in Derbyshire. In the media tent at Bloodstock 2013, Ebony B interviewed Mike Spreitzer from DevilDriver. Going back even further to Hard Rock Hell Prog at Magna in Rotherham and your humble host interviewed Mikko from The Von Hertzen Brothers. You'll be hearing both of those interviews in this week's show. You'll also be hearing brand new tracks from Death Angel, Kataklysm and Ashes Of Ares. Head over to www.wyrdwaysrs.com for the full experience, or check the show out on Planet Mosh, Rock Stars Glued, Radio Metal ON - The Heavy or Red Eye Network.

This week's show is a bit of an accidental behemoth, topping the 3 hour mark for the first time in a while. The running time is partly down to interviews with Steve Wilson, now formerly of Power Quest (interviewed by Mrs Wyrd Ways, not me!) and Kelly Sundown Carpenter, who is currently singer with Firewind. Who is also in a rather interesting outfit called Darkology. They'll be in next week's show. There's also a HUGE slab of Doom from a band called Conan. There's also rather a lot of Power Metal. You'll love it. Find out how much at www.wyrdwaysrs.com.

I don't do gimmicks. I tend to let the music speak for itself. I do regularly play stuff from new/unsigned bands. I can guarantee that if you listen every week' date=' you will hear something you've never heard before.[/quote'] I wouldn't say segments or themes focusing on local stuff or particular genres would be gimmicky. I enjoy things like that, personally. Anyway it sounds like you've got some good stuff going on!

• 2 weeks later...

We’re back to a much more normal size this week. A double-header of interviews, though. The first being Ebony B talking to Incassum at this year’s Bloodstock and the second being a step back in time to Bloodstock 2012 for a chat with Andreas Kisser of the legendary Sepultura. Add to that the track from Darkology I promised you last week and new tracks from the aforementioned Sepultura, Kataklysm and Death Valley Knights. We’ve also got four tracks from Joey Jordison‘s latest project, Scar The Martyr. While you're on the website, listening to the stream, if you open up new tabs in your browser, there’s also new reviews, tour dates and bang up-to-date news items at The Wyrd Ways Rock Show website at The Wyrd Ways Rock Show - Welcome to the show!.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As a rule, I don’t tend to do themed shows, but this whole thing about treating “female-fronted Metal” as a genre on it’s own really annoys me. That’s why every band you will hear on The Wyrd Ways Rock Show this week is fronted by a woman. That means you’ll be hearing from Izegrim, Holy Moses, Triaxis and Huntress among many others. You can find it here: The Wyrd Ways Rock Show The actual website has probably expanded quite a bit since you were last there. Click here and take a look at what you've been missing.

• 1 month later...

We’re into the last couple of shows for 2014, but that doesn’t mean there’s no more new stuff for me to play in The Wyrd Ways Rock Show. You’ll be hearing from Papa Roach, Primordial and to keep things somewhat Christmassy, Christopher Lee! Yes, Saruman The White himself will be closing the show. You can listen to, or download, the broadcast version of the show BY CLICKING HERE. The show also features Covered and a Shock Of The. You say you need more? The best way to get more is to subscribe, by heading for THIS PAGE and choosing the option that best suits you. If you are a subscriber, as usual, you get the show at a much higher level of quality. You also have access to the Members Only pages of the Wyrd Ways Rock Show website.

• 8 months later...

Blimey... it's been a while since I posted anything on here.  About time I sorted that out.  I do need to get more active in the Metal scene again.

The Wyrd Ways Rock Show is still going, and we've not got to the 314th edition.  Here's the blurb:

We’re having a little breather from the festival stuff in this edition of The Wyrd Ways Rock Show, before going ballsdeep next time out.  That means new stuff from Act Of Defiance (Shane Drover and Chris Broderick’s post Megadeth band), Lamb Of God, Kataklysm and loads of others.  Come and have a listen.  You owe it to yourself.  You’ve been good all week, so come and reward yourself with some quality Metal!

https://soundcloud.com/carl-pickles/wyrd-ways-rock-show-cccxiv

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/wyrd-ways-rock-show/id1025482825?mt=2

RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheWyrdWaysRockShow (for those of you who don't use iTunes but still want to subscribe)

Please note that I'm now using Soundcloud to host the download version (unless you become a subscriber or Member).  It provides a better service than PodOmatic does these days.  If you are a subscriber using one of the old links please use one of the above links to keep your subscription going.

Wyrd Ways Rock Show 314.jpg

As promised, we’re neck-deep in Bloodstock in this edition of The Wyrd Ways Rock Show.  Carl and Suzi report live(-ish) from outside The Mötley Brew at Catton Hall on the Saturday afternoon of the festival.  We also chucked in an archive interview from Hang The Bastard and a brand new interview from Sabaton’s new drummer, Chris.  Add to that Dr Jim’s summing up of this year’s Brutal Assault, and you’ve got a show to listen to!

https://soundcloud.com/carl-pickles/wyrd-ways-rock-show-cccxv

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/wyrd-ways-rock-show/id1025482825?mt=2

RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheWyrdWaysRockShow (for those of you who don't use iTunes but still want to subscribe)

Wyrd Ways Rock Show 315.jpg

• 11 months later...

Need to get back here a lot more often!  Anyway, here's the details for the latest show:

You know what they say about "The best laid plans...", yes? Well, the plan for this was to have it out on Friday night before SOS kicked off. That plan was then modified so I would get it out on Saturday morning before I set off to SOS.

Then real life and tiredness intervened (twice!), so you're getting the "sort of preview" AFTER the event.

It's not THAT bad, since you will be able to read the review of the Saturday bands on the new, improved Wyrd Ways Rock Show website by clicking the link. In fact, I would heartily recommend reading the review whilst listening to this show.

Do your neighbours a favour. Turn it all the way up. This one's one in the eye (or should that be "ear"?) for anyone who says "Metal is dead".

Listen to The Wyrd Ways Rock Show CCCXXXVII by clicking HERE

If you're an iTunes type person, you can click HERE

If you want the RSS feed, just click HERE

• 1 year later...

Blimey!  Didn't realize it was so long since I'd last been here!

Anyway...

It's the last Wyrd Ways Rock Show of 2017... or certainly the last one before the traditional post-Yuletide Behemoth, anyway. Despite the fact that this is, effective a Christmas show, I'll only inflict one Christmas tune on you.

It's one you'll like.  I promise.

What else do we have for you?

Well, the last Record Of The Week is a bit of a cracker, then there's loads of other stuff, including Nick from Nuclear Blast having a bit of a chinwag with Robb Flynn of Machine Head.

Who says I never get you anything nice?

What are you waiting for? Click this link and turn it up LOUD!

If you want to subscribe, you can do it via iTunes by clicking here