What is metal for you?

Holy Terror

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

lets revive this discussion (and change it a little) metal is something so ingrained in my psyche that I honestly can't imagine what I would do without it. Metal has gotten me through some of the darkest times in my life, times where I honestly contemplated suicide, being able to spin a metal record and instantly feel like I had a friend right there supporting me is probably what kept me going and I doubt I would have felt the same if I had some wimpy pop artists music coming through those speakers. In that sense for me the love of metal is something outsiders will never be able to understand

• 1 month later...

well for me it makes me feel joyful and happy, it makes me want to jump and sing and forget the troubles for a while. It's some sort of an escapism for me:) And all the concerts/fests/tours make me very dreamy about how some people have their lives on the road and wake up in a different place every day. I myself feel a thrill months before going to a fest and months after it. Same with a good concert. I went to two concerts last week and my life goes in the rhythm of their music-even when i'm not listening to anything, it's as if I wear headphones implanted in my head. And you can't erase the smile from my face for ages!

I've had many things to say in this thread, recently I've started thinking about when I was going through depression a few years back now, I can honestly say in those times metal saved my life. My so-called friends distanced themselves from me, my family didn't or perhaps couldn't help, if I didn't have metal to help me through that I probably would have killed myself. Now the really important question is: why do I feel compelled to share this with total strangers?

I love many forms of music.... classical etc but metal is my life i play drums, guitar and piano and i also sing. music in general makes me feel awesome. Heavy metal is just another out let of certain emotions that i like letting loose. I hate dance music and the like but then i hear a good singer and i think wow thats amazing. Metal is the music i love and spend most of my time engrossed in.

• 5 weeks later...

Metal is very much like a first love. Growing up metal was the first music I listened to and actually enjoyed and identified with, I had all these anti this and anti that ideas floating in my head and metal spoke my language. Largely it's appeal has nothing to do with whether other people listen to it or not - I feel no camaraderie or collective conscience with other fans that's not what I look for. I do flirt around with other genres (mostly classical and jazz) but I always come back to metal.

I'm in a very, very dark place right now and there are only two things in my life worth fighting on for. One is metal which has saved me from myself more in this one week alone then any other time in my life. The other is my precious Port Adelaide Football Club and the on-field exploits which are so inspiring. I get the same thing from both it's a little voice that whispers in my ear "you're not alone, we're here for you, we won't give up and neither should you"

why do I feel compelled to share this with total strangers?
Maybe to see if someone will do something similar.? When i was younger, a lonely lost soul. one thing Metal did to me was that it kind of manifested my expectations on that it really was me versus the world, and living with that in the back of your head kept me alive at least. It also made me into a hateful ignorant individual.. for a time. Today, well lets just say that im not that creature anymore.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

referring back to Scully's point yes I think that could be the case, I think it's also knowing I won't be judged for saying what I feel around here. For example the post above Scully's: I've suffered depression twice in my life. Once after a very bad break-up and more recently for reasons I can't even begin to fathom. I'm finally breaking free of those shackles after months of taking to them with a blunt hacksaw someone has finally thrown me the key and life is suddenly fun again. Now I don't need metal to keep me fighting it's just there for backup as I kick the everloving shit out of my demons.

• 1 month later...

What is metal for you headbangers? I mean deep inside what kind of feelings cause you? Why do you listen to metal? For me is a way to express my self. A way to stick it to the system. Metal helps me to find my self and maybe create my self. I mean couple of songs affect me so much and make me identify with them. The feeling is completion and freedom. I can't explain how content and hopeful i feel because of these bands and songs that make me have hope for this world despite the shits and the craps and the fucked up system which controls us. Us and our minds and souls. Metal waken people. Metal is FREEDOM. SO... stay metal \mmmmm/

He's a "dualist" at heart... :P For me it's the sound that expressed what I couldn't express with words when I was growing up. So far beyond "Fuck you" that there's almost no comparison. Now it just sounds like "music" to me, and everything else sounds like... meh, everything else. There are times when metal as a whole gets on my nerves, but I always come back to it. And the act of writing metal songs lets me involve my anger, my enjoyment of puzzles, my need to understand my overwhelmingly negative emotions, and my love of melody at at the same time. It taps into places in my head I couldn't access otherwise. It's a conduit I couldn't do without.

It's interesting the phrase I most commonly hear from non-metalheads is "that's all suicidal shit". I can't stand the ignorant people who think that way. I'll be honest here and say I've thought about it, suicide, on several occassions during the dark times in my life but when I spun my metal records it was like a little voice saying no, don't give up that easy. So in fact metal had the opposite effect to those commonly assumed about our genre.

Exactly... It's like a medicine for the illness called "fucked up life". I don't know... Maybe it is so deep and that's why most people can understand metal and misunderstand. Because they can't give an explanation and that's comfuse them.. I don't blame them for that. I am just sorry for them. I feel gifted to be a metalhead you know...