Bands you "should like" but don't

RelentlessOblivion

We all like and dislike a plethora of different bands. This thread is about those bands which most metalheads think are awesome but for whatever reason you don't care for in the slightest. Topping my list are Cannibal Corpse and Burzum. No matter how often I try to find something worthwhile in their music I never succeed to this end.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, where do I begin? Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Gojira, Anthrax, Periphery, Pantera, Scale the Summit, Queensryche (any era), Devin Townsend, Black Sabbath, Opeth, Baroness, Kvelertak, Mastodon, Volbeat, Amon Amarth, Nevermore, Watain, Jeff Loomis, Iced Earth, Ghost, Fleshgod Apocalypse, MOtorhead, etc I can't think of any others offhand, but there are definitely more.

Sabbath would have been at the top of this list until three or four years ago. I'm happy to say that a lot of bands have been growing on me for whatever reason. I'd rather like than hate... Still on my shit list are Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins, Nile, Incantation, Kataklysm, Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Neuraxis, Arsis, Anaal Nathrakh, Dissection... I'm sure there are more. Honorable mention to Iron Maiden and Devin Townsend, who have done some awesome stuff even though I don't enjoy the majority of their albums. I'd also distinguish the above bands from groups that put out great classic material and then completely shat the bed, like Deicide, Queensryche and Metallica.

Gojira' date=' Periphery, Baroness, Mastodon, Nevermore, Jeff Loomis, Ghost, Fleshgod Apocalypse
A lot of what we're all going to say is generational or regional. Even among their fans, I don't know anyone who would say that you're "supposed" to like these guys - unlike a band like Black Sabbath, who are "essential listening" (I had to deal with that from my friends for years).

If I recall correctly BAN you don't care for Cannibal Corpse I think that would fall into this category unless I'm misinformed on bands that tend to be popular among headbangers As for orc damn man you've got a major hatre of all the classic bands but Pantera are one which are widely hated I'm afraid (I'd know they're a band I quite enjoy and always take shit for)

As for orc damn man you've got a major hatre of all the classic bands but Pantera are one which are widely hated I'm afraid (I'd know they're a band I quite enjoy and always take shit for)
My original post seems to have gotten lost in the ether, but this kind of helps me make the point I was trying to make, which is that this is largely dependent on regional and generational differences and peer groups. Pantera gets nearly universal respect here, even among people who don't really enjoy them. Black Sabbath is one of a few bands that would have been on this list for me until a few years ago. For whatever reason I'm finding that I like a lot more music now than I used to - maybe my standards are lower, or maybe I'm finally experiencing the gift of hearing what other people hear in music I used to hate. There are plenty I still haven't found any liking for: Arsis, Nile, Incantation, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater... and there are some bands that orcslayr listed (Periphery, say) who I don't think anyone would say you're "supposed" to like. I'd like to distinguish a category of bands who I don't like in general (Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend) but who have put out some really stellar albums amidst what I think of as dreck; and a category of bands who put out a string of good to great albums (Metallica, Queensryche) before completely shitting the bed.

I understand, I just think our answers will be more illustrative of our particular scene than they are of anything universal. The only bands I can think of that have that universal recognition, globally, among young and old, are Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. I know there are Burzum fans here, but none of my friends listen to them, and generally, if they come up, you'll hear comments like "ah, that shit sucks" or "I just never really bothered with Burzum".

Re: Bands you "should like" but don't

If I recall correctly BAN you don't care for Cannibal Corpse I think that would fall into this category unless I'm misinformed on bands that tend to be popular among headbangers As for orc damn man you've got a major hatre of all the classic bands but Pantera are one which are widely hated I'm afraid (I'd know they're a band I quite enjoy and always take shit for)
I don't like Cannibal Corpse, but I don't see any reason why I "should" like them. Other than people I know enjoying their music, I can't think of a reason, because their music is a very dull brand of cartoon death metal. My impression of this thread would be bands that would normally be right up your alley of taste, but for some reason just don't click with you. I have had trouble with some bands in the past, but after letting them sink in I have found most of these tough nuts to crack quite enjoyable. I couldn't think of any bands right now that put me in that position, honestly making me ponder what it is that is causing them to do nothing for me when it seems that (at least on the surface) all of the elements are in place for them to be a band that I would enjoy. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

A lot of people have made a big deal about me not liking blopeth. I can't stand them. I have given them several chances through out the years but ultimately they just suck. Another is Hypocrisy. They are so generic and boring I can't stand to hear them. I've had to sit through them twice while waiting for other more talented bands to play. Children of Boredom is yet another. Yes dude can shred but so what? Tired generic riffs and stupid lyrics is all they offer. Perhaps the biggest upset for these detractors would be that I HATE Celtic Frost. They suck. They bore me. I don't care if they originated a style or helped create something new, etc... they suck. Horribly.

Neurosis and Eyehategod are two more for me. I like doom it's pretty much my favourite sub-genre. For whatever reason though Sludge bands never click with me. I don't know what it is but in particular those two I've found very offputting.
I'm with you on Neurosis, I can't stand hardcore in any form. And as I've said before, Sludge isn't for everyone. It's a nasty little pill that some like and others don't.

It's unusual though given that outside of that I dig all the other doom sub-genres I've heard. Can't say I've heard them all of course but couple that with my interest in particularly nasty sounding black metal as well sludge just seems like something which should be well suited to my tastes but it just doesn't work for me. One exception to that is Crowbar as I quite enjoy their music.

It would have to be Iron Maiden, Metallica or Megadeth for me. There are lots of Metal fans out there who think you can't be a genuine fan of the genre unless you at least like Iron Maiden. But, they simply don't do it for me. I'm not into the whole wailing guitar solo, operatic vocal side to Metal where it's all about fantasy and war (hence my dislike of most Power Metal, too), as it seems a bit at-odds with what my favourite Metal generally gives me: aggression and overall "heaviness". I think this highlights my problem with some of the older bands: it seems a bit "tame" to me. At the same time, though, Black Sabbath are quite possibly my favourite band. They came before Maiden, but they don't seem anywhere near as dated and the darkness and aggression I dig about bands that came out in the 90's and onwards is there in spades.

I have tried and tried to like Cryptopsy. Really, I have. I just don't get a kick out of vocals that I can't understand. I know it has something to do with the voice becoming an instrument of its own, like abstract art, but I think I'll stick with Death, as far as death metal is concerned.

Re: Bands you "should like" but don't

It's unusual though given that outside of that I dig all the other doom sub-genres I've heard. Can't say I've heard them all of course but couple that with my interest in particularly nasty sounding black metal as well sludge just seems like something which should be well suited to my tastes but it just doesn't work for me. One exception to that is Crowbar as I quite enjoy their music.
Most of the NOLA sludge bands have many more upbeat hardcore punk sections than sludge from other areas. You should check out Grief, almost all slow and super heavy, could warm you up to the vocals and atmosphere. It wasn't until I started appreciating sludge that I could appreciate hardcore and legit metalcore, but it took a long time to click with me. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I have tried and tried to like Cryptopsy. Really' date=' I have. I just don't get a kick out of vocals that I can't understand. I know it has something to do with the voice becoming an instrument of its own, like abstract art, but I think I'll stick with Death, as far as death metal is concerned.[/quote'] No worries on that. I don't think it was really "abstract art" - I think Lord Worm was just fucking off and disguising his intensely silly lyrics. I really like the Ungentle Exhumation EP, find Blasphemy Made Flesh a bit boring, love None So Vile apart from the widdly solos, and then really just don't get into anything else... but again, that shit is definitely an acquired taste, not "essential listening".

Neurosis has their high points and low points too. I know people who like their older stuff, and it's growing on me, but my all-time favorite of theirs has to be Times Of Grace, followed by A Sun That Never Sets. It took me quite a while to get into the vocals, which I still don't totally love - they sound forced and overly mannered on a lot of their material.

I see Cryptopsy popping up. Incomprehensible vocals and excessive guitar noodling is not something I'm looking for. Not even in death metal. Not even in tech-death though my appreciation for that genre is more to do with bands who I feel blend their technical skills with good to great songwriting.