Narrow House (apocalyptic doom metal) - "Thanathonaut"

Yegor Ostapenko

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! It has been almost a month since the initial release of "Thanathonaut", and we have already received more than a few reviews from Italy, Greece, USA, Israel, Ukraine and Norway. This is what they have to say:

"The voice samples that are cleverly arranged in Thanathonaut, perfectly complement the varied vocals of Narrow House, which have sometimes brutal texture and sometimes have a clean and extremely tranquil complexion, while the keys play a very important role in their compositions, and the dress beautifully with the heavy harmonies, yet fantastic interact with cello and saxophone, that steal the show here." — Phantasmagoria
The songs are very slow with a high level of technology, keyboards and very gloomy. At times it feels like you are getting a message from space [...] As production goes, it is very well done, great quality indeed. [...] would say to anyone, try it with an open mind and make up your own mind." — Metal Temple
"It mixes great melodies, different moods, good vocals, powerful bass, cello hard ala Apocalyptica and psychedelic saxophone [...] The result is a powerful package that surprises and impresses. It’s hard to believe that this is only the band’s second disc, and that debut came just a few years ago. [...] Beautiful, great-sounding, quality music with rich scope and original expression." — Gorge Metall
"This album is solid doom when it comes to atmosphere and the idea standing behind it. There’s no bright future for mankind in the world of Narrow House, and the only response for prayers is a radioactive rain coming down form the skies." — Neformat
You can find all available reviews over here.

• 1 month later...

The band has celebrated its 5th birthday on 10th of July. We have also took part in "Doom Quiz" feature at "No Clean Singing" with us answering a few questions:

Talking about our current perspectives, we continue to promote the latest album. We have already introduced our limited handmade digipack edition of Thanathonaut. There are also some other merch ideas which will probably go public soon. There’s a chance that we will shoot a video for one of our latest songs as well.
The full text can be found here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, not all of them yet! Summer is a lazy time, I guess. Meanwhile we managed to get some more "Thanathonaut" reviews:

"It’s actually quite hard to pick out any high spots against such an extraordinarily, consistently brilliant construction. ‘Thanathonaut’ paces itself superbly, without a wasted moment, dipping at will into gentler interludes and urgent bursts of momentum, mixing the mournful groan of the cello with some ultra-sharp guitar lines, dragging in moments of funereal battery and surging choral movement as it goes."
Doom-Metal.com
"They really have mastered the combination here of a bright and modern sounding guitar, hard edged and dense, with the melody of piano and saxophone and strings to create a classical metal sound heavy with emotion and atmosphere."
Ave Noctum
"This album is a surprise as I wasn’t sure what to expect from the band. From the Progressive Metal-style album cover to the name that gives nothing away, this is an atypical release in many respects. This is a very good thing, as the band have produced an extremely good album that manages to ably differentiate itself from the ravening hordes whilst keeping quality levels high and having a lot of personality and colour."
Wonderbox MetalAs always you can find all available reviews over here. In other news I've hosted the 20th episode of "Withered Hands Podcast". Come check it out if you haven't already as this podcast has many great acts interviewed including Pantheist, Shape of Despair and many others.

Actually, I just realized that yesterday was like exactly two years since our first album was released. Meanwhile less summer we have, more reviews we get. Some of the recent ones are:

"…Traditional — British — doom imaginative constructions are strong and definitely deserve the attention of lovers of progressive doom and / or death, even though it’s not exactly "hard" or "extreme". I recommend it even to those who come from the other side of the progressive spectrum. This transcending genre is good." — Zware Metalen
"Halfway between traditional doom and modern heavy metal, this attractive disc creates a series of apocalyptic and dark atmospheres of great impact, moving through a fresh sound and fortified by powerful groove and careful arrangements." — Rock Metal Essence
"A disc that certainly needs several listens to be treated justly [...] Those who love the nonlinear sound should certainly have a listening test." — Metalhead.it
"Okay this is a weird album, more in keeping with slightly avant-garde/symphonic black metal than Doom, but that’s a good thing, this is what i like to hear, original ideas and interesting music." — Stu’s Reviews
Black metal? Okay! You can find all available reviews over here.

qF70p28KYY8.jpgWell, who would now, we started to work on our new music video to celebrate five years of Narrow House activity and release of "Thanathonaut". Above you can see a photo taken at the location we’ve chosen. Surprisingly it can be found almost in the center of the Kyiv.This fortification was built almost 200 years ago and was abandoned for many years, until the brave people of 3d Sotnia of Maidan moved there to start the reconstruction. Many thanks goes to them as they made all this shooting possible.For more pictures of the location click here.

Thank you! The Fall is here, let’s all get depressed (in a good way) together while listening to "Thanathonaut":

Their highly atmospheric and powerful progressive doom metal captivates and elevates. Filled with striking and excellent use of saxophones, choirs and cellos the guys have produced ten strong compositions that move more towards the symphonic spectrum than anything else. — Stoner Hive
Within the doom genre itself, Narrow House spends time with all of it. There’s hints of funeral doom, psychedelia, and some stoner moments. But not happy to stay confined to the doom tag, you’ll find elements of progressive, jazz, and even some trace black metal here to really up the ante. — Dead Rhetoric
As the album progresses through tracks such as «Furious Thoughts of Tranquility», «The Midwife of Sorrows» and «A Sad Scream Of Silver» the driving bassline of the string section combines with the saxophone brings to mind a version of Gerry Rafferty residing in the underworld. While many fans of funeral doom will be utterly put off by this mixing of styles, the progressive or avant garde metal lovers will find lots to enjoy. — Femetalism
PS. "Thanathonaut" has been chosen as the Album of the Month at doom-metal.com which is very nice of them.

There will be another one soon, thanks! Actually we got some love from Sweden with Robex Lundgren interviewing us on a wide variety of subjects:

"Having a full line-up is always great as you can actually play live gigs and tour thus making a name for a band. However people tend to have their own opinions and it’s hard to have a compromise that will please everyone. So being alone most of the time helps when you know exactly what you want to do."
The full text can be found here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Meanwhile we got some more reviews:

"An album at once strange, tragic and psychedelic." — Spirit of Metal
"The Last Retreat is my personal album highlight. These killer riffs, synthesizer — there is only one comparison: Blade Runner. The title track forced me to buy everything from Jon Vangelis." — Crossfire
"All genres are mixed well in a 40-minute ‘Thanathonaut’ thanks to the skill of these musicians, the excellent arrangements and use of two tools: sax [...] and cello . The new musical approach of the Narrow House gives us a work that travels higher than the old A Key to Panngrieb." — The Pit of the Damned

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve got a bunch of new reviews for "Thanathonaut" for those who still hesitate to check it out:

"Narrow House deserve a huge amount of credit for a creative and serious approach to their music, boldly combining styles and sounds that you might not expect to hear together." — DoomMetalHeaven
The band has definitely managed to create an album full of sights and I’m really curious what these talented Ukrainians will do in the future." — R.U.M. zine
"These Ukrainians have complete domination over their instruments and atmosphere of the music." — Femforgacs
"This is one of the most interesting records that I’ve heard all year, hands down." — The Grim Tower
"…an interesting pick, don’t hesitate, this band is aiming high, be a witness." — Pest Webzine

Our good friend Mike at Doom-Metal.com published a new big interview with us. Here’s the snippet:

"The starting point for the new album was watching a really disturbing nuclear war documentary. At that point I had no idea making it all conceptual and circling around an atomic weaponry theme – this idea came along during the finalization of the material. I’ve recycled some of my old compositions that I felt were still good enough to be recorded, and topped it all with completely new stuff. At least three songs for “Thanathonaut” were created just a few months before the recording took place."
Lots of unique information on Narrow House for you here. fire-show-1-150x150.jpg

• 1 month later...

We kept some silence for a quite some time now but that doesn’t mean that nothing is happening. For instance we’ve got a bunch of new reviews including one by Pete Woods of Terrorizer Magazine itself:

The title track is particularly effective, stomping in with marching boots, adding a dash of retro keyboards and spiraling ever forward with twisting sax heavily reminiscent of King Crimson in their prime.
And a few more:
"Thanathonaut" is a clever and captivating record full of great atmosphere and fantastic moments. Narrow House also use instruments like cello or saxophone which makes their music even more interesting, but they are fortunately entertaining throughout the whole album." — Sicmaggot
Narrow House is strange, poetic, melancholic, serious and artistic." — Hammer World

• 1 month later...