3 Inches of Blood

• 2 weeks later...

3 inches of metal is a killer band with much potential. you should check out there tune Metal Woman. it brutal and it kicks ass. gimmick my ass, just because they used to have 2 vocalist doesn't mean they suck. yeah, they may be entirely a thrash band. they do have some pretty thrashy tunes like Deadly Sinners but they sure metal

Re: 3 Inches of Blood

3 inches of metal is a killer band with much potential. you should check out there tune Metal Woman. it brutal and it kicks ass. gimmick my ass, just because they used to have 2 vocalist doesn't mean they suck. yeah, they may be entirely a thrash band. they do have some pretty thrashy tunes like Deadly Sinners but they sure metal
What exactly would you consider thrash metal? They bear no characteristics of the genre, they pretty much just combine retro heavy metal with some metalcore elements. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Firstly this band has an incredibly stupid name. Secondly they exhibit lazy musicianship. Thirdly they write awful lyrics. They are a lot of things but thrash is not one of them nor is brutal or awesome in any way. You are right in that having two vocalists does not mean a band can not possibly be good however this band, in my opinion, are not.

I still think they slay.
I'm with ya buddy. My previous assessment that they were strictly a thrash band was definitely off, but in my defense, I hadn't listened to them in a long time. I completely disagree with the metalcore thing, they've never been even close to that; having a screaming vocalist doesn't make it metalcore. I think they've always been more traditional metal with thrash elements (especially on Advance and Vanquish). And using the fact that they don't have fantastic lyrics as a reason why they suck isn't really valid. Plenty of metal bands (especially Blut and Oblivion's precious thrash bands) have incredibly stupid or generic lyrics, but that doesn't instantly make them bad. Not all bands "have something to say" and just want to play music. My favorite album of theirs is probably Fire Up The Blades, although their new one is great too. I think the presence of the screamer puts Blades slightly ahead, but I think 3iob finally have a sustainable, winning formula with Long Live Heavy Metal. It's a pretty well-rounded album, which I can't really say about any of their others.

• 4 weeks later...

True, they're not a Thrash band. What they are, musically, is Trad Metal played at a higher tempo. Anybody who calls them "Metalcore", I'm afraid, is an idiot, because they have nothing musically or lyrically in common with that movement. I've been a fan since Advance And Vanquish and finally got to see them at Bloodstock this year. They were excellent. I interviewed their guitar player for future broadcast on The Wyrd Ways Rock Show. Like most Trad Metal bands, they tend to divide opinion. Most of us tend to quite like them because they're good fun. On the other hand the blinkered Metal Taliban (who are usually somewhere between 15 and 22 and whose faces have never yet seen the caress of a razor) hate them. But who cares what they think? They're of the opinion that anything but growled, virtually unintelligible vocals, guitarists who play like they're being electrocuted, a bass player who might as well not bother because the sound is so tinny, an indecipherable logo and drumming that sounds like an octopus having an epileptic fit isn't Metal. They're wrong. *and relax...*

True, they're not a Thrash band. What they are, musically, is Trad Metal played at a higher tempo. Anybody who calls them "Metalcore", I'm afraid, is an idiot, because they have nothing musically or lyrically in common with that movement. I've been a fan since Advance And Vanquish and finally got to see them at Bloodstock this year. They were excellent. I interviewed their guitar player for future broadcast on The Wyrd Ways Rock Show. Like most Trad Metal bands, they tend to divide opinion. Most of us tend to quite like them because they're good fun. On the other hand the blinkered Metal Taliban (who are usually somewhere between 15 and 22 and whose faces have never yet seen the caress of a razor) hate them. But who cares what they think? They're of the opinion that anything but growled, virtually unintelligible vocals, guitarists who play like they're being electrocuted, a bass player who might as well not bother because the sound is so tinny, an indecipherable logo and drumming that sounds like an octopus having an epileptic fit isn't Metal. They're wrong. *and relax...*
Care to paint with broader strokes? There are tons of assumptions in that post, and a lot of undue hostility. And yes, retro trad metal is the largest element in their sound, but there is metalcore in their sound. Just listen to the opening riff on Deadly Sinners, that's a progression that a melodic metalcore band would use. You could go the long way and say that metalcore changed the style to that from melodeath, and melodeath changed it from old school heavy metal. It's not that different, but it's how Killswitch Engage would play those notes doing an Iron Maiden cover, as opposed to playing them like Iron Maiden would. It's maybe a bit nitpicky, but I actually slightly favor the approach of looking to the old school through modern eyes, as opposed to all of those "peach fuzz" kids (to paraphrase you) trying to recreate something they weren't a part of with zero drive, creativity, or any other way to live up to those they emulate. I would rather listen to a band like 3IoB than a band like Holy Grail, as the modern elements do set the former apart and allow them to make their own mark, even if I don't typically favor those elements in general. I listen to Advance and Vanquish from time to time, it's decent and better than most soulless retro garbage, but I would never consider it a favorite. And yes, I do enjoy a broad range of metal, which includes bands from the 70's to the modern day, involving tons of styles and sounds. I have just as much of a problem as you with the internet generation trying to relegate old school heavy metal to classic rock status by judging it compared to the standard of bands down the road that they themselves inspired. However, 3 Inches of Blood is not one of those bands, they're a modern band paying tribute to an old style while infusing it with modern elements, some of which are derived from metalcore. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm... pot calling the kettle black' date=' mayhap...?[/quote'] In what regard? I made no generalizations about fans with overreaching assumptions about their mental capacity or age. I did refer to an "internet generation", and while mostly young, it could really refer to anybody using a computer as an anonymous mask to spout ludicrous opinions without ridicule, and I would have a hard time believing anyone that thought that wasn't prevalent on the internet. Otherwise, I was really just talking about band's sounds. My comments about many retro metal bands could also not easily be dismissed, as there seems to be little in the way of originality in the retro heavy and thrash metal scenes. The thing about music is that it is a personal artform, with unique touches that vary from band to band and musician to musician. Upon trying to assume the mantle of say, Exodus, anybody that is not Exodus will fail in the task of trying to be as good as Exodus in the same way as Exodus, because they can never fully or genuinely communicate the thoughts and ideas represented by Exodus' music. If you're just upset about having your opinion contradicted, that's another matter entirely than accusing me of hypocrisy. You're entitled to your opinion of thinking that extreme metal fans and musicians are knuckle dragging teenage morons, but I can't say that it's an informed opinion, leaving accuracy out of the picture entirely. However, all that I addressed was that 3IoB has metalcore in their sound, and as someone who has listened to a fair bit of metal from various scenes, genres, and eras, I feel that this opinion is not a blind one. I also painted no poor pictures of metalcore or retro bands in general, as in theory I have nothing wrong with them, but in practice, it sounds to me like many of them fall flat on their faces before doing anything meaningful. This doesn't mean these things can't be good, it's just that by and large (or even more specifically, the image created for these styles by their more commercially lauded artists), many of the bands that play these styles are not. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It is only those unable to make a coherent argument that engage in such petty taunts. The idea that somehow every fan of extreme metal is ignorant and youthful is a fallacy of generalisation if nothing else. You assume that because one has an appreciation for extreme music it precludes that individual from considering traditional metal to be legitimate but this is not the case by and large. Whilst 3iob are for the most part a band playing what would be called modern heavy metal the use of certain melodies in a way akin to metalcore meands that too is a part of their sound. Those melodies are essentially rehashed melodic death metal, which itself rehashed traditional metal melodies. If your only rebuke to a cogent argument is to accuse that party of hypocrisy perhaps it would be wise to actually draw attention to that percieved fault. I, for one, can find no rhetoric or over-arching assumptions in the argument of BAN and that's a skill I practice on an almost daily basis. Indeed being able to counter the strongest point of an argument may one day become my career (after all I'm not studying law because it's a barrel of laughs). If this comes across as insulting your intelligence or suggesting you can't make a competent argument that was not my intention. I merely wished to point out that by resorting to name-calling and assumptions you greatly reduce both the merit and impact of your argument, and to point out that claiming hypocrisy without providing evidence to support such a statement is equally ineffective.

3 Inches of Blood has almost nothing to do with hardcore. Hardcore bands aren't just "poser" metal bands, it's a diverse genre umbrella term which is horribly misused. Some bands aren't trying to be strictly metal. Fucking get over it! However, 3IoB has barely enough metalcore influence to even make mention of it. If we're going to get picky, you may as well call Autopsy deathcore, or Incantation doom/death... this whole shit is so ridiculous!

They're a big-dumb-fun band that may not make amazing albums, but they kill it in the live setting. Just simple riffs and cheesy deliciousness. Very few bands can actually pull it off. Manowar anyone??? And yeah, they're lightyears ahead of Holy Grail. That band blows, and actually borrows a lot from Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold... if you're going to call any "revivalist" band posers, it should be Holy Fail. Dude kisses his muscles after playing a guitar solo! Fucking awful.

3 Inches of Blood has almost nothing to do with hardcore. Hardcore bands aren't just "poser" metal bands' date=' it's a diverse genre umbrella term which is horribly misused. Some bands aren't trying to be strictly metal. Fucking get over it! However, 3IoB has barely enough metalcore influence to even make mention of it. If we're going to get picky, you may as well call Autopsy deathcore, or Incantation doom/death... this whole shit is so ridiculous![/quote'] While there is d-beat in Autopsy's sound and doom in Incantation's, they're a bit less present than the metalcore in 3IoB's sound. The base of the sound is old school heavy metal as I said before, but the way they phrase many of their melodies and riffs is derived from melodic metalcore. This is a more original and interesting approach than most retro bands, and their old-school sounding stuff is less derivative and better as well. I like Advance and Vanquish, I just don't reach for it that often. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

While there is d-beat in Autopsy's sound and doom in Incantation's, they're a bit less present than the metalcore in 3IoB's sound. The base of the sound is old school heavy metal as I said before, but the way they phrase many of their melodies and riffs is derived from melodic metalcore. This is a more original and interesting approach than most retro bands, and their old-school sounding stuff is less derivative and better as well. I like Advance and Vanquish, I just don't reach for it that often. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Well you've probably heard more of their music than I have, but when I saw them live it was right after they lost/dropped the screamer vocalist. Maybe it was due to that, or because of the set-list they chose (or both), but it just didn't sound anything close to metalcore to me. I always thought of that part of their sound as more of an example of stock modern metal riffing; because of how basic it is, it could sound like multiple different subgenres of metal depending on the dressings (guitar tone, vocals, etc.). I feel that way about a lot of melodic metalcore, modern power metal, and melodic death metal. It sounds to these ears like many bands from each of those subgenres are doing a lot of the same things on guitar, you just change up the drumming/vocals/tone a bit and they're almost interchangeable! Well, that's my two cents on the matter.

Well you've probably heard more of their music than I have' date=' but when I saw them live it was right after they lost/dropped the screamer vocalist. Maybe it was due to that, or because of the set-list they chose (or both), but it just didn't sound anything close to metalcore to me. I always thought of that part of their sound as more of an example of stock modern metal riffing; because of how basic it is, it could sound like multiple different subgenres of metal depending on the dressings (guitar tone, vocals, etc.). I feel that way about a lot of melodic metalcore, modern power metal, and melodic death metal. It sounds to these ears like many bands from each of those subgenres are doing a lot of the same things on guitar, you just change up the drumming/vocals/tone a bit and they're almost interchangeable! Well, that's my two cents on the matter.[/quote'] The harsh vocalist was a part of it as well. I haven't heard them without him, but a lot of it has to do with the similarities you mentioned in popular modern metal. Melodic death metal began as death metal with a greater focus on consonant tremolo riff progressions, more leads and solos, and a more somber, less evil/grimy atmosphere. As I became more mainstream, it largely became power metal with harsh vocals, with little, if any death metal remaining. Power metal has become more mainstream and simplified over time too, going from a less rock influenced and more progressive variant of heavy metal to reintegrating more hard rock influences and less aggression/heaviness. As melodic metalcore borrows from later style melodic death metal that is similar to modern power metal, it's no wonder the metalcore in 3IoB's sound doesn't stick out more. That's why I made the point about them using the same notes (all shared/borrowed/stolen from the same genres), but phrasing them in the way that a metalcore band would often times. Another good example of this is doom/death. Doom/death began as a fusion of doom and death metal. Many bands integrated a gothic influence, which grew as the death metal element shrank, creating gothic doom. Even many bands that aren't gothic that net the doom/death tag have little to no death metal in their sound, it's just modern doom with harsh vocals. When I joined Nevertanezra and Mike played me the fast riff in Separation Anxiety, I told him that there was no way we could do without it. I told him that if we wanted to call ourselves a doom/death band, there should be death metal in our sound. Fortunately, that has been flowing naturally and hasn't been a forced integration in our sound, but if it wasn't, I would see no reason to refer to ourselves as doom/death. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2