Aspects on tolerance

Dogtor

How do You guys see tolerance today in Your communities? Is there more racism, sexism or things like that nowadays? What should we tolerate and what not? I got the idea for posting this as I scrambled through the latest Vikernes-case and his blog writings. Seemed that he has a lot of followers for his thoughts. As far as I´m concerned, I don´t care if you´re white, black, red, green, thin, obese, tall, short, gay or straight - if you´re an asshole, you´re an asshole. I don´t judge people by religion, nationality or economic status and therefore don´t want to be judged by them either.

The UK is always changing, some for good and some for bad. We have less crime but more racist crimes. Since the soldier being murdered in London a few weeks back people are a little more scared, there is a lot more religious intolerance towards muslims. Also with the long drawn out deportation of Abu Qatada, the Muslim community has been having a tough time.

I think tolerance has always been on a slow crawl forward, but it doesn't really do anything to relinquish stereotypes. I guess there's no reason for it to though, stereotypes exist for a reason, because often times they are true. I think the biggest barrier now, and one that is growing, is the massive wealth disparity in this country and abroad.

A lot of the times the stereotypes are true. Not always because the stereotypes they have of us are totally wrong. I hate mayonaise. The stereotypes about blacks and asians usually are true. Not trying to sound racist or anything but I have personally observed them. They love chicken and watermelon. It's a fact. And asians are bad drivers. That's a fact too.

I am half caste, and if stereotypes were true, I too would be lining up at KFC, I would also be on some type of govt support with a million kids - beating them daily with my shoes, While I agree with some stereotypes and agree that some are true, I don't like the thought that people may think these things of me, As for racism/sexism in my community yes it is there, racism mainly from the poor/jobless against Asians is a big issue here, well actually just make that immigration in general.

Re: Aspects on tolerance

I am half caste' date=' and if stereotypes were true, I too would be lining up at KFC, I would also be on some type of govt support with a million kids - beating them daily with my shoes, While I agree with some stereotypes and agree that some are true, I don't like the thought that people may think these things of me, As for racism/sexism in my community yes it is there, racism mainly from the poor/jobless against Asians is a big issue here, well actually just make that immigration in general.[/quote'] Stereotypes aren't always true, which is why people object to them. However, people don't just imagine seeing patterns with other groups of people, some of which may be cultural, others informed by genetics and/or personal taste. The problem is when people fail to allow for deviations from those stereotypes, assuming that all of a certain persuasion share all of the same characteristics. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Oh Bulgaria is very racist. We have a big Turkish/Gypsy community here and most of the Bulgarian people are very racist towards them. For gypsies you get why-there's a stereotype that often turns out to be true, ok. The one for Turkish people is related to Bulgarian history, as Bulgaria was under the Turkish joug for quite a while. On the other hand when a person from western Europe lands in Bulgaria it's as if he/she landed in Hollywood and he/she is the biggest movie star. I find this pretty annoying as I had to face it multiple times.it doesn't take a lot of brains to know that there's trash everywhere in the world and people from rich contries don't come in plastic boxes.It is just untakeable that my turkish friend has to stand all the time speeches about how crappy Turkish people are, while a German guy I had in my life that was practically white trash in his homeland plays it like some superstar here. At least when she smiles and drops the bomb by saying she's actually Turkish people tend to have embarassed and ashamed face expressions:D

yeah but we can't put a label on an entire society just like this. When you approach someone it's good to drop all the stereotypes and discover if they're true or not by yourself and not assuming it in the very beginning. I'm pretty tired of hearing people talking like "Spanish people are like this, Italian-like this etc." There's no way you know them all.

It´s good to remember, as Viking said that it´s not olny white against the res. It works vise versa too. For example here in Finland there are an increasing amount of ethnic gangs starting to form. You can see gang signs on concrete almost everywhere - looks like a cheap "Vatos Locos"-oriented film here in Helsinki :D A lot of people are taking advance of our "very-friendly" immigrant politics. Now we have foreign teenagers roaming the streets all day and all night so it+s pretty obvious that we run into problems. Politicians just smile in the papers and NEED to look good in the eyes of the rest of Europe but alas, our own people are very fed up with them.

Our pop culture is no different, it's just the lowest common denominator of what people will pay money for to be entertained cheaply. Next time you try to judge a black guy based on Michael Vic, Lil Wayne, or Chris Brown, think about them judging you based on Justin Bieber, Tom Cruise, or any reality TV star.

It´s good to remember' date=' as Viking said that it´s not olny white against the res. It works vise versa too. For example here in Finland there are an increasing amount of ethnic gangs starting to form. You can see gang signs on concrete almost everywhere - looks like a cheap "Vatos Locos"-oriented film here in Helsinki :D A lot of people are taking advance of our "very-friendly" immigrant politics. Now we have foreign teenagers roaming the streets all day and all night so it+s pretty obvious that we run into problems. Politicians just smile in the papers and NEED to look good in the eyes of the rest of Europe but alas, our own people are very fed up with them.[/quote'] Yep, saw that first hand. Love Finland and Helsinki, been there a few times. The first time we went there, it didn't take long for your "very-friendly immigrants" to start hassling us for money. We started comparing them to Sea Gulls. We learnt "Haista Vittu" pretty quickly. One would come up to you, and then dozens. They were stealing money out of my hands. However, the Finnish people would come to our help and fuck them off. Any time we were around Central Station, it was especially bad. They had these hand wriitten notes that they would show us, telling us they were starving, and hadn't eaten for days. They looked over fed to me. I know that all the Finnish people that we became friends with, had nothing but bad things to say about the "immigrants".

I try to be tolerant but it can be hard. If I judged black people based on black American pop culture I would hate them all' date=' but I try to judge people individually. But really, their own culture presents a pretty poor stereotype of them.[/quote'] You need to learn more then, I think. Pop culture doesn't really present the best sides of the culture of any people. But I have to say, that I had such an amazing experience exploring the Harlem literature that now I'm more inclined to expect something good when I understand an author is African American. Really, I think there are so many great black writers, and what they do is quite an unexpected phenomenon in literature. It's my field so I know it, but we can say this about music&art as well I think

'Tolerance' (that is to say the general social concept) is, I find, a fiction for oppression. Those who advocate it often seem to have the same worldview as guys like Franz Fanon and Robert Mugabe. Rousseau's outline for 'tolerance' closely matches its modern manifestation, and that is certainly a detriment to all except those driving the doctrine.

• 5 months later...
Tolerance is' date=' I find, a fiction for oppression. Those who advocate it often seem to have the same worldview as guys like Franz Fanon and Robert Mugabe. Rousseau's outline for tolerance closely matches its modern manifestation, and that is certainly a detriment to all except those driving the doctrine.[/quote'] Agreed. You 'tolerate' a cold or being forced to listen to shitty music on the bus. I honestly think we'd do far better to teach 'acceptance'.

Robert Mugabe is tolerant? Since when? Do you even know what the word means? It means to put up with people. And yes, we could use some more of that.
Of course I know what tolerance means. Perhaps some quotation marks would have been in order. I've edited my post as such. I was referring to the general concept, the phenomenon of 'tolerance' as advanced by social activists, not the actual meaning of the word. As a matter of fact that is my main gripe with these folks - that they fundamentally fail to understand what the word means and what actual tolerance would entail.