Songs that affect you

22 minutes ago, AlexandriAxMansoN said:

Thank you so much! I plan to stay here. I'd rather be here with like-minded people than other social media where stupidity and craziness are scattered far and wide. lol :D

I left one out that I just had to pop up in my suggestions on YouTube.. It's another song by The Plot In You, and though I love this band to pieces, it makes me cringe with horrific reminders from my past. The band has evolved A LOT since this came out.. This is off of their first album, which is far more heavy and brutal than what they have today. Their front-man, Landon Tewers, even wrote a solo song making fun of the way his voice sounds in this particular song.(he's also just a natural comedian,lol) The guy is MEGA-TALENTED, with a very wide vocal range, and has proven that 1000x over with his solo stuff, and his music with the band. You'd really have to sample a little of all of his work to see what I mean. The dude can practically do anything. But their song "Wife Beater" brings back terrible past memories with just the song lyrics, but the video is absolutely horrifying to watch for anyone who has endured being in an abusive relationship. I'll post the lyrics, and a link to the video. But I'll warn you, the video is extremely graphic, and can trigger some people, so I don't recommend watching it if the lyrics disturb you in the slightest bit."Domestic Violence" doesn't quite describe it correctly. O.o

"Wife Beater" -The Plot In You

this house was trashed, fists were red with the blood of his children
her water breaks, damned a new life into theirs
these months have blown away, your impulse shakes these walls to shame
their hands reach out to you and leave the same
she's lost respect for you, you died the day your son was born
there's nothing left for you, there's nothing left for you to do
you're just a nightmare, you're just a ghost, 
you'll wish you never had this life before
Now your sons have turned away, the oldest takes your place
one day he'll have the strength to take you on
Father - "I don't know what you expect from me anymore, 
I have made mistakes but that's not me anymore"
His fists get tighter, your days grow shorter
Son - "You raise your hand again, you just might lose it. 
I am not playing around father. 
You better pray before you touch her, I will tear you apart."
the nights it's darkest, the children hidden in their rooms
this is your chance, to make her scream again
he smells the plot in you, he knows you've waited to long
the time has come for you to get what you want

Songs that affect me..hmm..these songs never fail to move me

Shining - Neka Morgondagen

ColdWorld - Void

Nocturnal Depression - Isolement / Acedie / Dead Children

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Arthemesia - Breeze of Grief

Burzum - Key to the Gate

Windir - Fagning

Oh yeh..how could I miss out..Johnny Cash - Hurt

15 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Songs that affect me..hmm..these songs never fail to move me inside..

Shining - Neka Morgondagen

ColdWorld - Void

Nocturnal Depression - Isolement / Acedie / Dead Children

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Arthemesia - Breeze of Grief

Burzum - Key to the Gate

Oh yeh..how could I miss out..Johnny Cash - Hurt

That Johnny Cash version is great.

I'll also throw these affecting hats into the ring:

Ozzy Osbourne - Life Won't Wait

Anathema - Angels Walk Among Us

Paradise Lost - Beneath Broken Earth

7 hours ago, Requiem said:

That Johnny Cash version is great.

I'll also throw these affecting hats into the ring:

Ozzy Osbourne - Life Won't Wait

Anathema - Angels Walk Among Us

Paradise Lost - Beneath Broken Earth

Yeh..like its a great song anyway but that version kills me.  I like Leona Lewis doin it too..

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Johnny was the man. What a way to make a cover better than the original.

Johnny was fuckin great. Oh yeh speaking of NIN..Something I Can Never Have needs to go on my list..

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure nobody else will be affected by this song the way I am, but "I AM" by Theocracy is a prog-power masterwork. Matt Smith can me a spectacular composer when he wants to be, and the vocal arrangements here are superb. It's also a magnificent triumphant hymn of Easter, one man's attempt to depict the fullness of God with a compelling simplistic lyric structure.

My favorite song is "Long Way Home" by Threshold. At first it was because it was the coolest and techiest song I'd ever heard. That's definitely not true, but its lyrics have stood the test of time. A simple but under-examined notion, about a man who knows what he has to do but is just taking a long time to do it and knows he must overcome his own flaws in order to ensure his future. He knows what he must do, it only remains to summon the will to do it. The general idea continues to be very strongly pertinent to my own life. It's a solid song besides, Threshold at their best with the one and only Andrew MacDermott at the helm.

• 2 months later...

For me it would be A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater, one of my favorite songs. Music alone is fantastic journey into theater of dreams. Song really shows off what these guys are able to do. And of course, lyrics written by drummer Mike Portnoy about loss of his mother and lesson to seize the day or ˝Carpe Diem˝ on Latin. Song hits pretty hard both mind and heart. It made think about my decisions in past and made me get up and do something about myself. Made me feel the real world and in a way. I recommend it to everyone despite of genre they prefer.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I couldn’t answer for sure which song affects me the MOST but two that will always always tear me apart while giving me comfort at the same time are 'Bloodhail' and 'The Big Gloom' by Have A Nice Life. 

During the deepest and worst phases of mental illness I would listen to these songs on repeat while sinking beers, shouting the words as tears poured down my cheeks. The lyrics are fantastic and the sound design is so disgusting in a good way: it makes you feel filthy, the production alone produces the feeling that the song was made for you and how you feel.

Utter hopelessness

• 2 months later...

For some reason songs about fictional characters going through great trials. "Wheel of Time" of Blind Guardian comes to mind. The whole part onwards from "the young man said I will never give up, the inner war, I can hold against it" is possibly the most mesmerizing piece of music I ever heard. The whole story captures the battle of light and dark within us all so perfectly. 

For songs about real events, Sabaton's "The Price of a Mile", "A Lifetime of War" and "The Final Solution". Especially the Final Solution, because it's part of my country's history. What's been done to minorities in this country only 80 years ago is just incomprehensible for me, I think for most people who didn't live through it. And nowadays, we still have issues, but nowadays persecuted people from other countries see asylum in Germany. The Final Solution is sad for the events it talks about, but it also symbolizes how far Germany has come since those events. It's not easy for a song to be moving to me, but "The Final Solution" makes me cry.

For a non-metal song, "Why" by Nicole Nordeman. You know, religion is responsible for a lot of shit, and I'm not even Christian anymore (agnostic), but the story of Jesus is still inspiring. God is too much like a holier than thou, far removed entity for me to believe in, but the Jesus of Christian theology really gave a shit about the weak and the poor. He embodies the philosophy that you should care about people even when you don't have to and it's inconvenient, for no other reason than it's the right thing to do.

• 2 years later...

Tracks that no matter how many times I play I feel emotion. 

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Evoken - The Fear After

Pantera - I'm Broken 

Alice in Chains - Rooster

Lynyrd Skynyrd - I need You

And to be honest I could fill a decent playlist with tracks that go beyond just good to listen to, I have used music for the majority of my life to help with moods or current mental states, celebration and depression. I know it is cliché to say but music hits deep with me, it has always been that one friend I could count on. 

• 4 weeks later...

a metal song that really touches me is "floods" by pantera. i first listened to the song at a time when i was going through stuff and the lyrics and groove just spoke to me. "cold hearted world" says it all. isn't that the truth so many times in life? i especially love the guitar outro. so eerie, depressive and cavernous. it fits with the song's theme so well. a very underrated dimebag lick

• 2 months later...

The Emperor song "Ye Entrancemprium" always gets me all wound up, just like the Nokturnal Mortum track "The Funeral Wind Born in Oriana" (the opener from the Nechrist album). They make me want to lay into my weight bag, and I do when they come on. "Hammer Smashed Face" has a similar effect on me and I've punched the weight bag until my hands were scuffed up and bleeding and I was exhausted to that song before.

One song that chokes me up though, because it has personal meaning to me, is not a metal song but a country song by Chris Stapleton's "Drunkard's Prayer". Song makes me cry as a matter of fact, because I had alcohol and drug problems in the past and I know exactly what he's talking about when he says "I wish that I could go to church but I'm too ashamed of me//I hate the fact that it takes a bottle to get me on my knees" because I used to get trashed and think that God was talking to me (before I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder) except my version would go "I hate the fact that it takes a rail to get me on my knees" because it was most prominent when I was abusing crystal meth about five years ago and no matter how hard I wanted to not do the shit, I kept doing it and used to beg God to get me off of the shit when I was high for days at a time, yet would always say to myself "after this bag, I'm done". Happy ending: On May 17th 2017, I had a big rail of crystal meth left and was dreading having to drive to Sarasota to get more and go through that whole dangerous, sketchy song and dance and I heard that "God voice" in my head say "You know, you don't have to go get more, you'll be fine without it. Just do this last rail and then go enjoy your day and don't go waste anymore of your money" and that's exactly what I did: I hoovered it up and then went and played a game of disc golf while I listened to Nokturnal Mortum, and then came home and played a bunch of video games and eventually went to sleep that night. Haven't touched the shit (or any drugs) since and don't think that I ever will again. That era of my life is dead & buried, I feel better now than I ever have before.

I'm really glad to hear that you're drug free now NB. That shit is not to be underestimated. Glad you got your diagnosis in order too, I'm assuming going undiagnosed is another type of hell.

I always feel kind of melancholy about this awfully sappy powerballad by Timo Tolkki & Sharon den Adel. I used to listen to it on then train every time I went to visit my long distance girlfriend. Things ultimately went to hell in multiple waves but I can't help but feel a bit of nostalgia mixed with sadness when I hear it, especially the guitar solo. Also, I don't know if Sharon ever sounded as good as she does in this song.

Timo Tolkki & Sharon den Adel - Are you the one? (btw that has to be the most Christian album cover I've ever seen)

6 hours ago, Sheol said:

I'm really glad to hear that you're drug free now NB. That shit is not to be underestimated. Glad you got your diagnosis in order too, I'm assuming going undiagnosed is another type of hell.

Yeah quitting all drugs and drinking was the best decision I ever made for my life. The second best decision I made was checking myself into the mental hospital in 2011 so they could figure out that I had schizoaffective disorder, because it made a lot of things suddenly make sense. Going forward with that diagnosis, I now know why I am the way that I am and why it seems like certain things happen to me. Granted I still have fixed delusions of persecution and have to stay away from the news to not get too freaked out and feel like there is a global conspiracy against me/people like me, but with medication and a therapist, it's easier to deal with and I can remind myself that for as fucked up as everything is, it's not simply a plot to make me miserable. Prior to checking myself into the mental hospital in 2011, I would have thought that what goes on in the world is specifically done to persecute me and people like me.

I mean, having an official diagnosis isn't pleasant, but it's better than not knowing what's going on with yourself and trying to self-medicate with dangerous/illegal drugs of unknown quality. So what I do now, is just listen to music from morning to night when I am not working. It quiets my mind and gives me something to focus on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 5:56 AM, Serpentboi1992 said:

rotting christ's "out of spirits" is a song that's really relatable for me at the moment. going through some stuff right now and both the lyrics and sound capture how i feel. it's a beautifully made song. probably my favorite tune by them. 

I'm really into Rotting Christ lately. Their songs make me feel I'm somewhere else, however dark that world may be... It still feels better than this one. It's similar with Dimmu Borgir, especially Stormblast MMV. I don't know, something about that album just resonates with me, and I often find myself falling asleep listening to it at night.

Actually, I've never been an Immortal and Abbath fan, but lately I've been addicted to them. When listening to All Shall Fall or Abbath's solo stuff, I feel like I'm some great warrior fighting through all the crap in my life...

Unfortunately, I cannot name one song specifically that affects me. Thinking out of all the ballads out there that elicit a severe emotional response, it would be Helloween's "Forever and One" and Ozzy's "I Just Want You".

I have a few. Of course there are the bands I grew up with that really affect me because they take me back to a certain time & place. Rush - Presto, The Cure - Disintegration, Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, and Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction are at the very core of my being. Sounds kinda dumb, but they shaped who I am today. So listening to them always brings good feels and a bit of comfort. One of those will probably be the last thing I hear before leaving this plane of existence.

For later day stuff, there's a bunch that get me in one way or another. So many classic songs by Bolt Thrower, Emperor, Immortal, etc to get me pumped up. Acoustic Opeth and Anathema to chill out. Just depends on the mood or the mood I want to be in.

The one song that really gets to me is Tramped By Turtles - Alone. I first heard this song when I was in the hospital being treated for brain cancer, so it hit me particularly hard. I still can't listen to it and not get somewhat emotional. It perfectly captures that primal fear of being alone (especially dying alone which isn't exactly optional) while emphasizing the importance of enjoying the time in between.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...