• Stormlord – The Gorgon Cult
  • Thy Light – No Morrow Shall Down
  • Vinterland – Welcome My Last Chapter
  • Watain – Lawless Darkness
  • Watain – The Wild Hunt
  • Wilds Forlorn – The Great Loss
  • Woods of Desolation – Torn Beyond Reason
  • Woods of Desolation – As the Stars

Oh dear' date=' maybe in 30 years I can do this. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting Valonielu on it, though, at least. First thing to do is to listen to your whole list.... :|[/quote'] Only some of my list is more progressive, so I'm not sure if you would like all of it, but they are my favorites, so I would obviously say that they're all worth a listen. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The only "progblack" in my list, is Enslaved, and I think you already know them. The other stuff is mostly atmospheric and symphonic/melodic. Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
That album is brilliant though, like most of theirs. If I had to pick a favorite overall band, it would probably be Enslaved, I have all of their albums and even their worst works are still good. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

That album is brilliant though, like most of theirs. If I had to pick a favorite overall band, it would probably be Enslaved, I have all of their albums and even their worst works are still good. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm only familiar with the latest two albums from Enslaved, but their other albums seems to be good also.

I'm only familiar with the latest two albums from Enslaved' date=' but their other albums seems to be good also.[/quote'] Yes, you really can't go wrong with any of their albums. Their longest period of masterful releases was Mardraum through Isa, which started them down the progressive path and showed them evolving and exploring like crazy. I would suggest checking those out next, but really, just get all of their albums. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Only some of my list is more progressive, so I'm not sure if you would like all of it, but they are my favorites, so I would obviously say that they're all worth a listen. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
A lot of my bm is actually not prog, though, so who knows. Always open to new stuff. :D
Enslaved is so good, seconding the recommendation.

A lot of my bm is actually not prog, though, so who knows. Always open to new stuff. :D Enslaved is so good, seconding the recommendation.
Oh, cool. From your intro thread I thought that was your main interest, but you won't hear any complaints from me with talking more black metal. I like most sides of the genre and probably have more black metal albums in my collection than albums from any other subgenre of music, and while many here seem to like some black metal, it's not as frequently discussed as other topics. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Well, black metal has a lot of subgenres, variying from ambient stuff like Lustre, to symphonic bands like Carach Angren and from dsbm to prog. And don't forget the mixed genres, like blackened death. It's just a really diverse genre, with a lot of bands. Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I'm still making selections for a top 100, but here are 50 albums on the definite list already: Abgott - Artefact of Madness Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) Baptism - The Beherial Midnight Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare Burzum - Det Som Engang Var Burzum - Filosofem Ceremonial Castings - Barbaric is the Beast Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane Deathspell Omega - Paracletus Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum Deströyer 666 - Cold Steel... For an Iron Age Dissection - Storm of the Light’s Bane Dissection - The Somberlain Dolorian - When All the Laughter has Gone Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole Enslaved - Mardraum: Beyond the Within Filii Nigrantium Infernalium - Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator Gorgoroth - Antichrist Gorgoroth - Pentagram Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle Imperium Dekadenz - Meadows of Nostalgia Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm Kathaaria - The Complex Void of Negativity Kriegsmaschine - Altered States of Divinity Master’s Hammer - Ritual Melechesh - Emissaries Melechesh - Sphinx Mirrorthrone - Gangrene Mörk Gryning - Tusen Ar Har Gatt Nargaroth - Herbstleyd Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence Negura Bunget - Om Ophthalamia - A Journey in Darkness Root - The Book Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers Sabbat - The Dwelling Samael - Ceremony of Opposites Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times Secrets of the Moon - Privilegivm Shining - V - Halmstad Sigh - In Somniphobia Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup Stargazer - The Scream that Tore the Sky Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell Ulver - Bergtatt Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm Witchery - Restless and Dead

Any plans for any Dark Throne Midi? "Blaze.."' date=' "Moon.." and "Hunger.." should all make the top 10 IMO. Mayhem? Windir need a look in too along with In The Woods.[/quote'] Darkthrone is a band I have never been able to get into, despite trying several times. The same goes for Mayhem, although I still need to check out Declaration since both BAN and Father recommended it.

Really? I accept the standout of the 3 as being "..Blaze.." but I think all 3 are worthy of high placings in "all time" list. I think taken as whole (not saying they are a trilogy) the 3 after "Soulside.." are so consistent and solid that I'd struggle to place them lower than top ten. Just noticed no Immortal on Midi's list too - would put "Pure Holocaust", "Battles In The North" and "At The Heart Of Winter" in a top 50. Each to their own though. Looking forward to Midi's complete 100. EDIT - hopefully some Blut to come?

Really? I accept the standout of the 3 as being "..Blaze.." but I think all 3 are worthy of high placings in "all time" list. I think taken as whole (not saying they are a trilogy) the 3 after "Soulside.." are so consistent and solid that I'd struggle to place them lower than top ten. Just noticed no Immortal on Midi's list too - would put "Pure Holocaust", "Battles In The North" and "At The Heart Of Winter" in a top 50. Each to their own though. Looking forward to Midi's complete 100. EDIT - hopefully some Blut to come?
What makes Blaze so special for me is the spontaneous and energized feeling in the riffs, and the varied songwriting, which is mostly absent from both of its successors, but was better executed on Panzerfaust IMO. The style is fine of Moon, but it feels more deliberate and forced, and nowhere near as brazen. Hunger is melodic, but lacking in aggression for the most part, and is far from the be all end all of black metal that it is often touted as. I couldn't leave Immortal off of my list either, but the only two albums that would have made the cut are At the Heart of Winter and Pure Holocaust, the former of which I chose on my list. I noticed that you inquired about said list here, but I was the one that started the topic, so you can find it on page 1 of the thread.

I have yet to listen to any Immortal song/album to be honest. And yes, MVII will probably make the other half.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't for the life of me make a 100 list: Top albums include: Absu-Tara Inquisition-Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult Burzum-Hvis Lyset Tar Oss Ulver-Bergtatt Xasthur-Telepathic with the deceased Mutiilation-Remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul Blasphemy-Fallen Angel of Doom Angelcorpse-The Inexorable Grand Belial's Key-Mocking the Philanthropist Mayhem-De mysteriis dom Sathanas Rotting Christ-Sanctus Diavolos Taake-Doedskvad Darkthrone-Transilvanian Hunger Dissection-Storm of the Lights Bane Sigh-Infidel Art Peste Noire-Ballade Cuntre Lo Anemi Francor Graveland-Immortal Pride Blut Aus Nord-Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of an Icy Age Absurd-Facta Loquuntur Root-Zjeveni

• 4 weeks later...

Midi's top 100 black metal albums Abgott - Artefact of Madness Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions Agalloch - The Mantle Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack Aureole - Alunar Baptism - The Beherial Midnight Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon Bethlehem - Dark Metal Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulée Brown Jenkins - Angel Eyes Burzum - Det Som Engang Var Burzum - Filosofem Carach Angren - Lammendam Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion Ceremonial Castings - Barbaric is the Beast Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky Deathspell Omega - Paracletus Deströyer 666 - Cold Steel... For an Iron Age Dissection - Storm of the Light’s Bane Dissection - The Somberlain Dolorian - When All the Laughter has Gone Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire & Demise Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole Enslaved - Below the Lights Enslaved - Mardraum: Beyond the Within Filii Nigrantium Infernalium - Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression Furia - Martwa Polska Jesien Gorgoroth - Antichrist Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell Gravecode Nebula - Sempiternal Void Head of the Demon - Head of the Demon Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle Horned Almighty - Necro Spirituals Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye Iblis - Menthell Immortal - Pure Holocaust Inconcessus Lux Lucis - Disintegration: Psalms of Veneration for the Nefarious Elite Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm In The Woods - Heart of the Ages Kathaaria - The Complex Void of Negativity Klabautamann - Merkur Kozeljnik - Deeper the Fall Kriegsmaschine - Altered States of Divinity Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio Lunar Aurora - Elixir of Sorrow Master’s Hammer - Ritual Melechesh - Emissaries Melechesh - Sphinx Mörk Gryning - Tusen Ar Har Gatt Mortualia - Mortualia Mortuus - De Contemplanda Morte; de Reverencie Laboribus ac Adorationis Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood Mystifier - Goetia Naglfar - Vittra Nargaroth - Herbstleyd Nazgûl - De Expugnatione Elfmuth Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence Negative Plane - Et in Saecula Saeculorum Negura Bunget - Om Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus Nocturnal Depression - Nostalgia - Fragments of a Broken Past Ophthalamia - A Journey in Darkness Peste Noire - La Sanie des Siècles - Panégyrique de la Dégénérescence Root - The Book Root - The Temple in the Underworld Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers Sabbat - The Dwelling Samael - Ceremony of Opposites Sear Bliss - Glory and Perdition Sear Bliss - The Haunting Secrets of the Moon - Privilegivm Shining - V - Halmstad Sigh - Hail Horror Hail Sigh - In Somniphobia Sigh - Scenes from Hell Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup Stargazer - The Scream that Tore the Sky Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise The Axis of Perdition - Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xuchilbara (the Red God) The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet Ulver - Bergtatt Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp Varathron - Untrodden Corridors of Hades Vesania - Firefrost Arcanum Von Goat - Septic Illumination Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm Witchery - Restless and Dead Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters