Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

MacabreEternal

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been staying away from the beers for a bit, in the interest of less tummy and better vocals, but I've had a nice afternoon becoming familiar with a couple of local porters and IPAs, including a great barrel-aged "S'mores Framinghammer" Baltic Porter from Jack's Abby. There's some cleverness going on there that would be lost on furriners, but the appeal of the high alcohol content and vanilla/whiskey barrel notes is universal. I'm currently cuddled up with a larger-than-expected stein of delicious, malty German kellerbier from Brauerei Veltins.

• 2 months later...

So, I was reading about different kinds of German beer in preparation for my trip to Berlin. I learned about a kind of beer called rauchbier, that is, smokebeer. The malt is dried over an open flame, which gives the beer a smokey flavor. This sounded intriguing. I found that my local liquor store sold Schlenkerla Rauchbier, so I bought a bottle. OH MY GOD! It was horribly disgusting! Vomit tastes better. Imagine trying to drink liquefied smoked ham dosed in rubbing alcohol. Just irredeemably disgusting. Fortunately, I had bought another German beer, Flensburger Dunkel, and it was quite enjoyable (especially in contrast with what came before). 

Huh, I love Rauchbier. I suppose it can be an acquired taste, but I love smoky flavors and I liked it instantly. Fritz Briem had a good one. Been a long time since I got to try any quality German stuff. You might enjoy a good altbier, and a good German pilsner is a revelation compared to most of the swill pilsners on the market over here.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

IPA is a mostly reliable choice

Agreed. However, I've tried some brands that were just fucking awful, that hade some kind of weird "soapy" or perfume-like aftertaste. Since I drink so little, I tend to go for ONE bottle of something awesome (and expensive) rather than a sixpack, or worse. This time it wasn't, though. It was the cheapest brand available in Norway, called "Gran's" (gran being the Norwegian word for spruce, the tree). But it was absolutely on par with shit that's two and three times its price.

• 3 months later...

On business in the city of Dundee (Scotland) this past couple of days and found the local Brewdog (again - had been once before in a very drunk state though so had no idea how I got there) and had a pint of Zombie Quake, a porter from their Walking Dead/Halloween themed ale list.  Was quite liquorice in flavour which is usually a bit of a turn off for me but it was subtle enough for me to enjoy still.

From there I found the St Andrews Brewing Company, a bar I had stumbled across on my way back from a meeting the same afternoon.  I had an Oatmeal Stout which was as heavy it sounds but was more like a hearty meal than a gluttonous weight in my gut.  

It was the first night in a while that I was able to go out and enjoy the taste of ales without getting inebriated in the process.  With a full English breakfast in my belly this morning I am ready to hit the road again and head for home.  

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-gig pints at the metal pub which is suspiciously playing Kyass. I guess that’s sort of metal. 

I’m drinking a local brew called Young Henry New Towner (which sounds suspiciously like Sydney, so many not so local). 

Like all modern beers it’s hoppsy as hell and tastes like fruit juice. 

Well, time to get drunker than Abbath!

• 6 months later...
On 5/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, MetalValkyrien said:

is mead also accepted on here?

Well now that I know my favorite is the Viking Blood mead from Denmark. (Dansk Mjød is also the company name is and what it exactly is) They do a few different variety and some but this one is well deserving of the name, it also comes in a ceramic vessel instead of a glass bottle. Its my absolute favorite.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:56 PM, MetalValkyrien said:

Well now that I know my favorite is the Viking Blood mead from Denmark. (Dansk Mjød is also the company name is and what it exactly is) They do a few different variety and some but this one is well deserving of the name, it also comes in a ceramic vessel instead of a glass bottle. Its my absolute favorite.

Hmmm now I am going to have to try and get a shipment of this.  Neat discovery, thank you for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

My world into beer was sort of opened not too long ago. As a Norwegian I've found almost all our beer to be awful (I usually preferred sweet things). Then I stayed a semester abroad in the Netherlands and tried a lot of beer, liked almost all of it. Now I am just sad it is all out of reach as I have returned home .-.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 5:10 AM, stonywings said:

My world into beer was sort of opened not too long ago. As a Norwegian I've found almost all our beer to be awful (I usually preferred sweet things). Then I stayed a semester abroad in the Netherlands and tried a lot of beer, liked almost all of it. Now I am just sad it is all out of reach as I have returned home .-.

I have family in Norway and Sweden that I visit, usually we all drink danish beer, (part of it is because it cheaper) , but I like most of the beers ive tried. If you have a sweet tooth, (as I also appreciate sweet things)  try some ciders especially the non dry ones will be sweet and pleasant. There are also some beers that will add some fruit post brewing to make them more sweet. But I usually will go for a cider instead of a fruity beer, but I like both.

18 hours ago, MetallValkyrien said:

I have family in Norway and Sweden that I visit, usually we all drink danish beer, (part of it is because it cheaper) , but I like most of the beers ive tried. If you have a sweet tooth, (as I also appreciate sweet things)  try some ciders especially the non dry ones will be sweet and pleasant. There are also some beers that will add some fruit post brewing to make them more sweet. But I usually will go for a cider instead of a fruity beer, but I like both.

Yeah Cider is what I usually drink, though I have tried some fruity beer here and there. Once things get too sweet I either take a beer or switch to Red Wine ?

I visited Denmark once, but didn't get to try any alcohol there. Ill keep it in mind for next time. You may know that in Norway its common to visit Sweden cuz its so cheap, especially for alcohol. Not going near there though these days

5 hours ago, stonywings said:

Yeah Cider is what I usually drink, though I have tried some fruity beer here and there. Once things get too sweet I either take a beer or switch to Red Wine ?

I visited Denmark once, but didn't get to try any alcohol there. Ill keep it in mind for next time. You may know that in Norway its common to visit Sweden cuz its so cheap, especially for alcohol. Not going near there though these days

Nice a fellow cider drinker as well. Yeah I agree with your sentiments sadly I have family also in Sweden (Uppsala) and I am a bit nervous to visit them any time soon =/ as for my Norwegian family they are up in Trondheim which I plan on a visit but would feel like it would have to visit both parts but I will talk to them more about a plan.
As for ciders, do you have any favorites?

On 6/29/2020 at 3:38 AM, stonywings said:

The only thing that I can remember drinking in Denmark (which essentially means my memory is faulty, because I would have consumed all sorts of brews) is warm mulled wine at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. For an Australian, walking around in that fantasy land was quite an experience and the drinks were so good. 

I haven't had a cider in ages, but it could be time to freshen up with one in the coming days. Too much beer in one night becomes really cloying and dry on the palate I'm finding in my old age. Some cider is just what I need. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 1:36 AM, MetallValkyrien said:

Nice a fellow cider drinker as well. Yeah I agree with your sentiments sadly I have family also in Sweden (Uppsala) and I am a bit nervous to visit them any time soon =/ as for my Norwegian family they are up in Trondheim which I plan on a visit but would feel like it would have to visit both parts but I will talk to them more about a plan.
As for ciders, do you have any favorites?

Sorry, I have been gone for so long! I say take the travelling at your own pace, especially these days with the virus going around, might be best to postpone. I like generic Cider brands here like Sommersby and Halmstad. Apple Bandit was also nice which I tried while in the Netherlands. My favourite by far though is the Bulmers Cider, especially the Red berries and lime, as well as the original. It is more expensive than regular cider, but so good. Tastes like a 50/50 between cider and beer. Perfect for when you want something sweeter than beer, but not overwhelming.

• 11 months later...

I was prepared to call bullshit on this IPA from Gilded Skull based on the label and marketing - "March of the Golden Horde", "homage to heavy metal", ok, I get it. But it's actually pretty fucking great if you like a new-school New England-style hazy hop bomb. 7.2% ABV. "Fresh, bitter, and rich" aren't qualities I'd value in a personal interaction, but they make this beer pop like the fourth of July. 

XupTVwk.jpg