Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

MacabreEternal

I have 5 bottles of whiskey to shift as a result of xmas presents and a wine tasting evening to use also. Had a few ales as well (am drinking a Samuel Adams Boston Lager as I type). LAst night shifted some Jennings Bitter and Red Breast - the latter is very nutty and warming and it's warmth was enhanced by the terrible weather outside.

Re: Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

Like I think I said elsewhere' date=' I had plenty of alcohol on Christmas day - solely for medicinal purposes, I might add... And I'm still not feeling too much better so I might have to continue with that. :D[/quote'] I had 8 beers with my dad and grandfather, and had a few cups of bourbon and coke over the course of the day. Started the drinking in the morning and stopped when I went to sleep. I don't think my liver will like what I have done to it ;)

I will send you my mailing address; it sounds like you need some help with all of that. My poor whiskey is almost gone... soon all I'll have is a sad' date=' empty little spot in the cupboard.[/quote'] To be honest at least one is a smokey one (Talisker) and I usually prefer Speyside malts so you might be in with a shout. It does however boast rich dried fruit sweetness though so I will have to see how that balances.

To be honest at least one is a smokey one (Talisker) and I usually prefer Speyside malts so you might be in with a shout. It does however boast rich dried fruit sweetness though so I will have to see how that balances.
You lucky dog, I love a smoky Scotch and Talisker is my favorite of the bunch. Their lowest-priced bottle here is over $50. It's been years since I had it. I pretty much like smoke in everything, I love smoked beers, smoked almonds, beef jerky... mmm.

Tonight it's two very different beers. One is Cigar City's "Jai Alai" IPA. For hop heads only - this is one of the more bitter and resinous canned beers that I've had. Dry enough, well balanced, pleasantly complex. Really good overall. This isn't a beer I can drink a whole lot of at a time, but it's definitely worth trying. The other is Trader Joe's 2013 "Vintage Ale". It's a spiced holiday ale brewed every year by Unibroue (and it's like $5 a bottle, ridiculously cheap) - this year I'd say is a bit better than most. Unibroue is a Canadian brewer of world-class Belgian-style ales. Those of you who know them will know what I mean when I say this is somewhere in between Maudite and Trois Pistoles. The spice is there, but it's not overpowering; it blends in very well. The body of it is a well-rounded dark malt that's sweet without being cloying or sugary, topped off with their classic Belgian yeast strain - fruity, bready, complex. I have to go and see if they have any more of this left. I bet it's gonna be worth aging.

Tonight it's two very different beers. One is Cigar City's "Jai Alai" IPA. For hop heads only - this is one of the more bitter and resinous canned beers that I've had. Dry enough, well balanced, pleasantly complex. Really good overall. This isn't a beer I can drink a whole lot of at a time, but it's definitely worth trying. The other is Trader Joe's 2013 "Vintage Ale". It's a spiced holiday ale brewed every year by Unibroue (and it's like $5 a bottle, ridiculously cheap) - this year I'd say is a bit better than most. Unibroue is a Canadian brewer of world-class Belgian-style ales. Those of you who know them will know what I mean when I say this is somewhere in between Maudite and Trois Pistoles. The spice is there, but it's not overpowering; it blends in very well. The body of it is a well-rounded dark malt that's sweet without being cloying or sugary, topped off with their classic Belgian yeast strain - fruity, bready, complex. I have to go and see if they have any more of this left. I bet it's gonna be worth aging.
Unibroue might just be the best brewer out there IMO. Not only are they one of the only brewers I've experienced that can do justice to the Belgian beer styles from outside of Belgium, but all of their beers that I've had are top shelf. Obscenely consistent, with an impressive lineup of brews, and at a cheaper price than most Belgian beers (cheaper even than most of the less wonderful domestic imitations). Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

You lucky dog' date=' I love a smoky Scotch and Talisker is my favorite of the bunch. Their lowest-priced bottle here is over $50. It's been years since I had it. I pretty much like smoke in everything, I love smoked beers, smoked almonds, beef jerky... mmm.[/quote'] Sat here with a glass of Talisker 10 in my hand. Sorry FatherA - you have no chance of getting my golden syrup!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, totally solid and tasty standby: [ATTACH]905[/ATTACH] Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
A stout guy, eh? I just had Dupont's "Monk's Stout" - a refreshingly dry and effervescent, coffee-like Belgian stout. And some other delicious things I can't recall off the top of my head. If you can get Sierra Nevada's "DeveStateTion" black IPA (sp?), you've got to try it - it replaces their 2013/14 estate harvest ale, because their barley crop was ruined. And the Ruthless Rye this year is good as always.

A stout guy' date=' eh? I just had Dupont's "Monk's Stout" - a refreshingly dry and effervescent, coffee-like Belgian stout. And some other delicious things I can't recall off the top of my head. If you can get Sierra Nevada's "DeveStateTion" black IPA (sp?), you've got to try it - it replaces their 2013/14 estate harvest ale, because their barley crop was ruined. And the Ruthless Rye this year is good as always.[/quote'] We get Sierra Nevada here, so I'll have to try it. One of my favorite black IPAs was a special edition from Full Sail (normally only a decent brewer), and it was wonderful. Hop In the Dark and Sublimely Self Righteous are also great, as is our local Dubhe, which I consume a great deal of. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The boss bought me some Dead Crow for Xmas - billed as beer and bourbon. IT'S FUCKING TERRIBLE!!!!!! It has a pretty accurate name because if you served me a dead crow in a glass I imagine it would taste like this. Imagine death soaked in the most terrified piss you have ever had at a service station after driving for 4 hours and you are not even close to how bad this tastes.

The boss bought me some Dead Crow for Xmas - billed as beer and bourbon. IT'S FUCKING TERRIBLE!!!!!! It has a pretty accurate name because if you served me a dead crow in a glass I imagine it would taste like this. Imagine death soaked in the most terrified piss you have ever had at a service station after driving for 4 hours and you are not even close to how bad this tastes.
That sounds metal as fuck.

I tried that at a rock club (surprise, surprise) a few weeks back. Quite liked it, in a trashy-ager-with-cheap-bourbon-poured-in kind of way. :P

I have to admit I like a good boilermaker sometimes. I hate Pabst but sometimes it's all there is, and I've been known to top off a can with a shot or two of Maker's Mark. A variation called the Kentucky Snakebite can be awesome: a quality light lager like Pacifico, a shot of decent bourbon or rye, and a slice of lemon. Some people add a splash of Sprite. I dig it with a salt rim. Hard to beat for sheer stopping power.

I have to admit I like a good boilermaker sometimes. I hate Pabst but sometimes it's all there is' date=' and I've been known to top off a can with a shot or two of Maker's Mark. A variation called the Kentucky Snakebite can be awesome: a quality light lager like Pacifico, a shot of decent bourbon or rye, and a slice of lemon. Some people add a splash of Sprite. I dig it with a salt rim. Hard to beat for sheer stopping power.[/quote'] Quite like the sound of that. Will have to try a variation sometime.