Jump to content
deathstorm

your top 4 doom bands

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, blessed1 said:

i could never get into the more speedy songs by type o. i really felt that bloody kisses was let down by the faster songs and as far as i know they were leftovers from the debut.

It seems like a lot of people are really only into one particular facet of their sound. I get it, but honestly I think it's a shame, because they were more ambitious and versatile than they get credit for, and they could deliver everything they went for with style. The variety is one of the things that made them great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2013 at 12:49 AM, deathstorm said:

hey guys what are your top 4 doom bands signed or unsigned my top 4 doom bands are Nevertanezra unsigned my dying bride signed novembers doom signed swallow the sun signed

Mine has to be My Dying Bride, Reverend Bizarre, Winter and Saint Vitus 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hell yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Lord_Man_Hammer_ is spot on with pallbearer, every album amazing and very good live as well. though not sure my cousin liked them, has not spoken to me much since about the gig, pallbearer are very good and people should give them a go great songs,lyrics, vocal;s music

2 nixa's latest album opus tierra is really good. I mean this album should be really big as its catchy, got great vocals, interesting lyrics and the production they got on the album is amazing the riffs are as massive as the himalayers  and this is for a band that pretty much died and had to reinvent themselves.

 

illimitable dolors debut record is great. after the death of there band mate they created this band to pay tribute to there fallen brother. an outstanding doom band from oz but maybe that's the select few to be honest as they seem to hbave a small following

 

4 to be honest there is no 4 yet as I listen to toomuch black metal and funeral doom as well 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

hell yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Lord_Man_Hammer_ is spot on with pallbearer, every album amazing and very good live as well. though not sure my cousin liked them, has not spoken to me much since about the gig, pallbearer are very good and people should give them a go great songs,lyrics, vocal;s music

2 nixa's latest album opus tierra is really good. I mean this album should be really big as its catchy, got great vocals, interesting lyrics and the production they got on the album is amazing the riffs are as massive as the himalayers  and this is for a band that pretty much died and had to reinvent themselves.

 

illimitable dolors debut record is great. after the death of there band mate they created this band to pay tribute to there fallen brother. an outstanding doom band from oz but maybe that's the select few to be honest as they seem to hbave a small following

 

4 to be honest there is no 4 yet as I listen to toomuch black metal and funeral doom as well 😁 

I smoke entirely too much weed and have been in isolation for awhile now. I know I am okay.

 

If I were to bring in another micro doom/sludge list bands Noothgrush, Dystopia, EHG, Grief/Brainoil.

Music you could really bang your skull to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

I smoke entirely too much weed and have been in isolation for awhile now. I know I am okay.

 

If I were to bring in another micro doom/sludge list bands Noothgrush, Dystopia, EHG, Grief/Brainoil.

Music you could really bang your skull to.

I guess you need something to keep you going during this odd Corona period. I get by eating unhealthy amount of sweets as I gave up drinking for health reasons. 

 

Re the music Will have to check out some of them bands but with long work hours  free time is hard to come by. Which is your favourite band of the 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Candlemass has to rate for depth, raw power and magisty.

Cathedral is on my list for it's artistic scope, I feel that it's really serious about making a supreme effort, even if they have a particularly silly side as well.

Manilla Road does the rough and ready rock and roll thing the best, better than pentagram, more direct even than Saint Vitus I think.

Cirith Ungal because their music fills me with a thrilling sense of dread.

 

That's my list of four, and Cathedral is the dispensable selection, because if the question was this "If you could have all entire output of four given doom bands given to you on vinyl, what would those bands be?" I might choose Pagan Altar instead, I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

Candlemass has to rate for depth, raw power and magisty.

Cathedral is on my list for it's artistic scope, I feel that it's really serious about making a supreme effort, even if they have a particularly silly side as well.

Manilla Road does the rough and ready rock and roll thing the best, better than pentagram, more direct even than Saint Vitus I think.

Cirith Ungal because their music fills me with a thrilling sense of dread.

 

That's my list of four, and Cathedral is the dispensable selection, because if the question was this "If you could have all entire output of four given doom bands given to you on vinyl, what would those bands be?" I might choose Pagan Altar instead, I don't know.

What Cirith Ungal album should I start with?  I missed the mark with certain bands and finding their uniqueness.

 

For ex. I had head Mastadon and seen them but at the time I wasn't for it as I saw it as a hybrid of different genres which I wasn't thrilled about. Now that I have time to devour and appreciate it, it really speaks volumes and talent.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I guess you need something to keep you going during this odd Corona period. I get by eating unhealthy amount of sweets as I gave up drinking for health reasons. 

 

Re the music Will have to check out some of them bands but with long work hours  free time is hard to come by. Which is your favourite band of the 4. 

For me I like Dystopia as it covers every aspect of punk/metal. Many bands over haven't explored this option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

What Cirith Ungal album should I start with?  I missed the mark with certain bands and finding their uniqueness.

An excellent question Lord Mannhammer! There are not very many of them and they don't vary much it seems to me. King of the Dead might be my favorite, and it's awesome. One Foot in Hell has the tune Doomed Planet, so that one is pretty topical at the moment. Make sure you listen to the tune Finger of Scorn, it's on King of the Dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 5:30 PM, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

 

For me I like Dystopia as it covers every aspect of punk/metal. Many bands over haven't explored this option.

I have heard noothgrush and there pretty good. Definitely doom metal bits with big crunching chords  Oh yeahhhhh👻🦇☠️but other styles in there too somebits sounded a bit like death metal influence

Will definitely check out dystopia though on your recommendation as I really need to listen to less black metal and will take my mind of the fu***##Corona virus news.       Pallbearer are excellent but you need them with lots of bass and I mean loads and very loud too. The risk of neighbours complaining is worth it in my opinion 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I have heard noothgrush and there pretty good. Definitely doom metal bits with big crunching chords  Oh yeahhhhh👻🦇☠️but other styles in there too somebits sounded a bit like death metal influence

Will definitely check out dystopia though on your recommendation as I really need to listen to less black metal and will take my mind of the fu***##Corona virus news.       Pallbearer are excellent but you need them with lots of bass and I mean loads and very loud too. The risk of neighbours complaining is worth it in my opinion 😁

I've been riding my bike hard as shit listening to Pallbearer and Salems Pot swooo sick like those redneck kids in Gummo so badass!

 

In my opinion when riding bikes or skating is to have a soundtrack for random encounters, life is not meant to lived in fearl but to avoid most humans in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

I've been riding my bike hard as shit listening to Pallbearer and Salems Pot swooo sick like those redneck kids in Gummo so badass!

 

In my opinion when riding bikes or skating is to have a soundtrack for random encounters, life is not meant to lived in fearl but to avoid most humans in general.

Thanks for the recommendations. The sleep one is a good. Been listening to a few of there's on you tube. They've got a amazing reputation. Will check the other one you said                 Yesssssssss palllbearrrrrrrrrrrrrr great choice. In fact I need to get new headphones as my new ones are not bassy enough or loud enough to fully appreciate there sound. 

 Your right listening to music alot is a must and through headphones is a must for me. Get a few hours in a day.  A good doom band is nixa and album is called opus tierra. Should be No1 in the charts but some how is not 🤣very catchy band from florida with a pallbearer type of sound 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, GorboGorboze said:

Candlemass has to rate for depth, raw power and magisty.

Cathedral is on my list for it's artistic scope, I feel that it's really serious about making a supreme effort, even if they have a particularly silly side as well.

Manilla Road does the rough and ready rock and roll thing the best, better than pentagram, more direct even than Saint Vitus I think.

Cirith Ungal because their music fills me with a thrilling sense of dread.

 

That's my list of four, and Cathedral is the dispensable selection, because if the question was this "If you could have all entire output of four given doom bands given to you on vinyl, what would those bands be?" I might choose Pagan Altar instead, I don't know.

Out of interest what is considered the best candlemass album and what is your favourite one of there's. Are they the same album? People always speak highly of this band so probably time I gave them a spin. Also need to listen to less black metal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Out of interest what is considered the best candlemass album and what is your favourite one of there's. Are they the same album? People always speak highly of this band so probably time I gave them a spin. Also need to listen to less black metal. 

Hey, I definitely feel Candlemass is worth some attention. I'll answer you without fact checking, so watch out that I might say things untrue and misspell titles and names even. Go ahead and listen to the first album first. It is call Epicus Doomicum metallicus , which is not good Latin at all, but scholarship is maybe not the bands strong suit. Their strong suit is being super heavy and fucking rocking in the utmost. That first album is not long, and has a tune called Demons Gate, which is fantastic. If I turn out to be wrong about Demon's Gate and it is on another album, make sure you get to hear that song. The vocalist on that first album is good, and he never did another until their most recent album. The drummer is astounding on that first album, and as far as I can tell, he has never been on another published recording. I don't know his name but it is Something "weasel" Something. We metal heads, we live in a world full of incredible drummers, but sometimes listening to Epicus I'm blown away by the drumming. What became of that guy? I don't know.

  When you've heard that debut, move on to any album where Mesiah Mercoli does the vocals, and watch a video with him in it, like the music video for "bewitched" for example. Dude is big, has huge curly dark hair and performs in Franciscan robes. It's not to be missed.

  That dude Rob Loe, or however you spell it from Solitude Eaturnus recorded several Candelmass albums for better or worse. His is a dingus as far as I can tell, but not a bad vocalist. Try King of the Gray Islands (maybe not the correct title, but maybe close). 

  I really like the album Death Magic Doom, I think it has both "The Bloody Barronese" and some tune about a sea monster called... I don't know "monster of the Deep" is not right, great tune though.

  Lot's of Candlemass albums if you like them, and they seemed to keep coming.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

Hey, I definitely feel Candlemass is worth some attention. I'll answer you without fact checking, so watch out that I might say things untrue and misspell titles and names even. Go ahead and listen to the first album first. It is call Epicus Doomicum metallicus , which is not good Latin at all, but scholarship is maybe not the bands strong suit. Their strong suit is being super heavy and fucking rocking in the utmost. That first album is not long, and has a tune called Demons Gate, which is fantastic. If I turn out to be wrong about Demon's Gate and it is on another album, make sure you get to hear that song. The vocalist on that first album is good, and he never did another until their most recent album. The drummer is astounding on that first album, and as far as I can tell, he has never been on another published recording. I don't know his name but it is Something "weasel" Something. We metal heads, we live in a world full of incredible drummers, but sometimes listening to Epicus I'm blown away by the drumming. What became of that guy? I don't know.

  When you've heard that debut, move on to any album where Mesiah Mercoli does the vocals, and watch a video with him in it, like the music video for "bewitched" for example. Dude is big, has huge curly dark hair and performs in Franciscan robes. It's not to be missed.

  That dude Rob Loe, or however you spell it from Solitude Eaturnus recorded several Candelmass albums for better or worse. His is a dingus as far as I can tell, but not a bad vocalist. Try King of the Gray Islands (maybe not the correct title, but maybe close). 

  I really like the album Death Magic Doom, I think it has both "The Bloody Barronese" and some tune about a sea monster called... I don't know "monster of the Deep" is not right, great tune though.

  Lot's of Candlemass albums if you like them, and they seemed to keep coming.

 

Yo that Bewitched video is so rad, epic, and hilarious it makes me giggle like a little kid.   Plus the singer looks like a metal version of Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts.

 

tumblr_muhchchZWN1qz73sdo1_500.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

Hey, I definitely feel Candlemass is worth some attention. I'll answer you without fact checking, so watch out that I might say things untrue and misspell titles and names even. Go ahead and listen to the first album first. It is call Epicus Doomicum metallicus , which is not good Latin at all, but scholarship is maybe not the bands strong suit. Their strong suit is being super heavy and fucking rocking in the utmost. That first album is not long, and has a tune called Demons Gate, which is fantastic. If I turn out to be wrong about Demon's Gate and it is on another album, make sure you get to hear that song. The vocalist on that first album is good, and he never did another until their most recent album. The drummer is astounding on that first album, and as far as I can tell, he has never been on another published recording. I don't know his name but it is Something "weasel" Something. We metal heads, we live in a world full of incredible drummers, but sometimes listening to Epicus I'm blown away by the drumming. What became of that guy? I don't know.

  When you've heard that debut, move on to any album where Mesiah Mercoli does the vocals, and watch a video with him in it, like the music video for "bewitched" for example. Dude is big, has huge curly dark hair and performs in Franciscan robes. It's not to be missed.

  That dude Rob Loe, or however you spell it from Solitude Eaturnus recorded several Candelmass albums for better or worse. His is a dingus as far as I can tell, but not a bad vocalist. Try King of the Gray Islands (maybe not the correct title, but maybe close). 

  I really like the album Death Magic Doom, I think it has both "The Bloody Barronese" and some tune about a sea monster called... I don't know "monster of the Deep" is not right, great tune though.

  Lot's of Candlemass albums if you like them, and they seemed to keep coming.

 

Yes thank you gorbogorboze will check a few of those suggestions out.  Messiah mecoli sounds ace as he's so dramatic.physical  Description is very similar to my favourite cousin maybe that's what he should do next instead of being a fuc**ng  writer.😁   Seriously though I've got alot of great music to keep me occupied espe ially when life throws up a blizzard. Many thanks. 👍Your right though candlmass know how to rock to the max. I only listened to latest one and best is in the past no doubt.   Though paradise lost recent you tube video is really good. Proves that bands can improve with age. Probably digressing.😁blame it on too many 🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃

2 hours ago, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

giphy.gif

Yo that Bewitched video is so rad, epic, and hilarious it makes me giggle like a little kid.   Plus the singer looks like a metal version of Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts.

 

tumblr_muhchchZWN1qz73sdo1_500.jpg

Very much looking forward to seeing the candlmass bewitched video and no doubt alot better than thAt rubbish UK pop band by the same name. You can not be serious. Ahgg 🤬🤬🤬🤬the ball was on the line. Chalk flew😁sorry John McEnroe Wimbledon tennis moment is hilarious.  Digressing again. Sorry 👻☠️🦇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord_Man_Hammer_ said:

giphy.gif

Yo that Bewitched video is so rad, epic, and hilarious it makes me giggle like a little kid.   Plus the singer looks like a metal version of Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts.

 

tumblr_muhchchZWN1qz73sdo1_500.jpg

Your right bewitched video is fu*king a. Hilarious but very doom at the same time. 😁 Not seen many funny metal videos like that for along time as mostly pyschopathic or just very sad and a welcome change 👍 plus music's is neck brackingly good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, GorboGorboze said:

Candlemass has to rate for depth, raw power and magisty.

Cathedral is on my list for it's artistic scope, I feel that it's really serious about making a supreme effort, even if they have a particularly silly side as well.

Manilla Road does the rough and ready rock and roll thing the best, better than pentagram, more direct even than Saint Vitus I think.

Cirith Ungal because their music fills me with a thrilling sense of dread.

 

That's my list of four, and Cathedral is the dispensable selection, because if the question was this "If you could have all entire output of four given doom bands given to you on vinyl, what would those bands be?" I might choose Pagan Altar instead, I don't know.

Just heard candlemass's first album following your recommendation. Epicus doomicus metalicus or whatever it's called. Really good album will probably get a sneaky download without telling the wife 🤣  Absolute classic and more eclectic than was expecting but in a good way but very much doom. Ive heard before metal was defined by tons of subgenres bands were a bit more eclectic in whaat styles they played. Am I way off on this? Also always assumed opeth had this very original sound but seems like they were inspired by the great candlemass as to me certain aspects of sections are similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×