your top 4 doom bands

deathstorm

On 12/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Very much so. I'm always searching for more, especially in that magical time throughout the 90's when it seemed like bands playing the style could do no wrong. The US bands are almost criminally overlooked, so I've been doing my best to track down all of the US doom/death that I can find. Playing in a US doom/death band doesn't hurt that motivation either. emoji39.png

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

What's the name of your band Ban? Forgive my ignorance still relatively new around here 

What's the name of your band Ban? Forgive my ignorance still relatively new around here 
Up until recently, I was in a band called Nevertanezra. The founder of that band and I had an albums worth of material written for our second album, and he abruptly wanted to part ways to record music by himself for personal/medical reasons. He wanted to keep the name, and I wanted to keep and finish the songs, so it was a beneficial split for both of us. We're going to continue as a new band with a new name and finish and release those songs with some of the same people, but the music is different enough and moving in a weirder direction that the change in name and lineup makes it feel like a great fresh start. Hoping to have it done this year.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Up until recently, I was in a band called Nevertanezra. The founder of that band and I had an albums worth of material written for our second album, and he abruptly wanted to part ways to record music by himself for personal/medical reasons. He wanted to keep the name, and I wanted to keep and finish the songs, so it was a beneficial split for both of us. We're going to continue as a new band with a new name and finish and release those songs with some of the same people, but the music is different enough and moving in a weirder direction that the change in name and lineup makes it feel like a great fresh start. Hoping to have it done this year.

Just let me know where I can purchase it and I will do so :)

Just let me know where I can purchase it and I will do so [emoji4]
I have some copies of the Nevertanezra album left if you wanted to buy from me directly, or you can get them from Red Stream Records if you want to go that route. They're a great label and have a pretty good distro, but I would recommend using their eBay interface because their webpage interface is old and clunky. They don't have shirts though, and I do have a couple of those left if you're interested in that.

2 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I thought the first Lycus album sounded good when I initially heard it, but they were fucking terrible live. Total hipster trash, like Deafheaven at 40 BPM.

Shit really? That is a shame, not seen them live but that is a shame to hear. 

Shit really? That is a shame, not seen them live but that is a shame to hear. 
It was really disappointing. I only heard the album once, but I remembered enjoying it, and it's like I was listening to a different band. My friend was seeing the show the following night in Denver, so I messaged him about his thoughts after the show to see if I was losing my mind. He had the same experience, he enjoyed the album, but got a distinct bullshit hipster vibe from their lame performance.

25 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It was really disappointing. I only heard the album once, but I remembered enjoying it, and it's like I was listening to a different band. My friend was seeing the show the following night in Denver, so I messaged him about his thoughts after the show to see if I was losing my mind. He had the same experience, he enjoyed the album, but got a distinct bullshit hipster vibe from their lame performance.

That's too bad. I thought Chasms was a badass record but experiences like that always put me off a band. That's kind of what happened for me with Horrendous and Yellow Eyes, hard to put my finger on exactly why but I haven't put on any of either of their albums since seeing them live.

That's too bad. I thought Chasms was a badass record but experiences like that always put me off a band. That's kind of what happened for me with Horrendous and Yellow Eyes, hard to put my finger on exactly why but I haven't put on any of either of their albums since seeing them live.
It's a weird phenomenon to be sure. I have had the opposite happen just as many time, when seeing bands like Hypocrisy and Type O Negative turned me on to them when their recordings never did prior to experiencing them in a live setting.

3 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's a weird phenomenon to be sure. I have had the opposite happen just as many time, when seeing bands like Hypocrisy and Type O Negative turned me on to them when their recordings never did prior to experiencing them in a live setting.

Yup, that's the good side of the coin, I'd much rather be won over than turned off.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't quite had that experience. Then again I've only been to 3 shows in my life. That being said I can't listen to the album version of Sabbath's Into The Void because they played it slower and much heavier live.

As for the question at hand I'll go for consistency so it has to be My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, Mournful Congregation, and Monolithe.

On 1/25/2018 at 3:42 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

I would have loved to have seen Type O Negative. Care to give me a little run-down of the experience? I might be able to live vicariously through you for a short time. 

I would have loved to have seen Type O Negative. Care to give me a little run-down of the experience? I might be able to live vicariously through you for a short time. 
Type O Negative was Mike's (the other guitar player from Nevertanezra) favorite band, so I've had to answer this request before. He never went to many shows, he had a problem with going places, even to see any number of his favorite groups. I forget the name of the opener, it was some kind of shitty southern rock group (Brand New Sin maybe?), and it was at the Saltair venue, which is a fucking dive, so the show wasn't off to a great start. It's way out west on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, it's stinky, has no ventilation, and tends to get hot and humid in a hurry. I went to the show to see Celtic Frost, and I thought it was criminal that they were opening for Type O Negative. As one of the most influential metal bands of all time (no doubt influencing Type O by exploring gothic metal on Into the Pandemonium), I felt like they should have headlined, but that's neither here nor there. They had just gotten back together and had dropped the gothic/doom/black metal beast Monotheist, and they were fucking fantastic. The new songs were heavy as hell, and the old songs got a bit of a makeover to reflect their new sound, it was everything I hoped it would be and more from one of my favorite bands.

I was good after they finished, but it was a long drive back home, so I figured I would stay and see if Type O did anything for me live. They built the anticipation by being total assholes. They took forever to set up, and then would turn down the lights and get everyone cheering, only to turn the lights back up and play the chicken dance over the PA. Their sound check guy kept giving the audience shit and said "not funny" as his mic check phrase. After fucking around for a while, they came out swinging, and while I couldn't tell you which songs they played since I wasn't very familiar with the music at the time, it was sensational. They were heavy, but so personal, and I think having that personality come through live is what helped me to understand them. They also had light up panels on either side of the stage that said things like "applause", "boo", "Fuck you", etc... were constantly being lit up by their lighting guy, inviting heckles from the audience and outbursts from Peter. During the last song, he tried some rock star move and fell over onto his back, and after struggling to get up for a few moments, he just finished playing the song laying down. Celtic Frost was still the band of the night as far as I'm concerned, but Type O was massively entertaining in every sense of the word. That was on the Dead Again tour, and not long after that, Pete was dead. I didn't have the relationship with their music to be as crushed as some of my friends were, but I had hoped I would see them again. I guess it comes for us all at some point, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to have seen them.

On 11/02/2018 at 2:06 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Type O Negative was Mike's (the other guitar player from Nevertanezra) favorite band, so I've had to answer this request before. He never went to many shows, he had a problem with going places, even to see any number of his favorite groups. I forget the name of the opener, it was some kind of shitty southern rock group (Brand New Sin maybe?), and it was at the Saltair venue, which is a fucking dive, so the show wasn't off to a great start. It's way out west on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, it's stinky, has no ventilation, and tends to get hot and humid in a hurry. I went to the show to see Celtic Frost, and I thought it was criminal that they were opening for Type O Negative. As one of the most influential metal bands of all time (no doubt influencing Type O by exploring gothic metal on Into the Pandemonium), I felt like they should have headlined, but that's neither here nor there. They had just gotten back together and had dropped the gothic/doom/black metal beast Monotheist, and they were fucking fantastic. The new songs were heavy as hell, and the old songs got a bit of a makeover to reflect their new sound, it was everything I hoped it would be and more from one of my favorite bands.

I was good after they finished, but it was a long drive back home, so I figured I would stay and see if Type O did anything for me live. They built the anticipation by being total assholes. They took forever to set up, and then would turn down the lights and get everyone cheering, only to turn the lights back up and play the chicken dance over the PA. Their sound check guy kept giving the audience shit and said "not funny" as his mic check phrase. After fucking around for a while, they came out swinging, and while I couldn't tell you which songs they played since I wasn't very familiar with the music at the time, it was sensational. They were heavy, but so personal, and I think having that personality come through live is what helped me to understand them. They also had light up panels on either side of the stage that said things like "applause", "boo", "Fuck you", etc... were constantly being lit up by their lighting guy, inviting heckles from the audience and outbursts from Peter. During the last song, he tried some rock star move and fell over onto his back, and after struggling to get up for a few moments, he just finished playing the song laying down. Celtic Frost was still the band of the night as far as I'm concerned, but Type O was massively entertaining in every sense of the word. That was on the Dead Again tour, and not long after that, Pete was dead. I didn't have the relationship with their music to be as crushed as some of my friends were, but I had hoped I would see them again. I guess it comes for us all at some point, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to have seen them.

Thanks - what an awesome recount. 

I would have obviously loved to have seen them, although I have love/hate feelings for them as their last few albums (and first few) really wasted their talent for meaningful music in my opinion. Live, I bet it was a different story, as it often is.

This sounds amazing and I’m going to see if I can track down the setlist in setlist fm.

Great post.

Thanks - what an awesome recount. 
I would have obviously loved to have seen them, although I have love/hate feelings for them as their last few albums (and first few) really wasted their talent for meaningful music in my opinion. Live, I bet it was a different story, as it often is.
This sounds amazing and I’m going to see if I can track down the setlist in setlist fm.
Great post.
I think hearing some songs from their other albums live helped, as I had initially heard tracks from October Rust, and that's what turned me off. I know that's the one you like most, but I prefer their more doom oriented material, especially World Coming Down. The balance between doom and gothic was pretty good on Bloody Kisses, but I vastly prefer tracks like Christian Woman and Black No. 1 to Blood and Fire and the like. The speed bursts on there were fun too, and I think that's why I like Dead Again a lot too, more doom, some speed bursts, and a more integrated gothic sound instead of a more overbearing gothic sound. Haha, not the first time we've liked the same band for different reasons, but I would be interested to see the set list as well.

18 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I think hearing some songs from their other albums live helped, as I had initially heard tracks from October Rust, and that's what turned me off. I know that's the one you like most, but I prefer their more doom oriented material, especially World Coming Down. The balance between doom and gothic was pretty good on Bloody Kisses, but I vastly prefer tracks like Christian Woman and Black No. 1 to Blood and Fire and the like. The speed bursts on there were fun too, and I think that's why I like Dead Again a lot too, more doom, some speed bursts, and a more integrated gothic sound instead of a more overbearing gothic sound. Haha, not the first time we've liked the same band for different reasons, but I would be interested to see the set list as well.

My favorite lyric line from Christian woman was for her lust she’ll burn in hell her soul done medium well  

50 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Type O is one of those bands that lost me with poor live shows, but they might be the only band that's won me back afterwards. I saw them in NC on the Bloody Kisses tour (with Chuck Biscuits drumming, fresh out of getting fired by Danzig), and then a couple years later I saw them down there again, and both times they were awful - low energy, shitty attitudes that didn't seem like part of the act, I took nothing positive away from it. In the early 2000s I had the privilege of seeing them a few times at L'Amour and it was like watching a different band. Pete was at home there, and you could tell - cracking jokes like everyone in the audience was a personal friend, downing a bottle of wine and getting emotional in between songs, and playing his ass off. The performances were wide-ranging and heartfelt, and all of their material held up. I'd have to say that at their best, they were in the top five or ten live acts that I've seen.

Type O is one of those bands that lost me with poor live shows, but they might be the only band that's won me back afterwards. I saw them in NC on the Bloody Kisses tour (with Chuck Biscuits drumming, fresh out of getting fired by Danzig), and then a couple years later I saw them down there again, and both times they were awful - low energy, shitty attitudes that didn't seem like part of the act, I took nothing positive away from it. In the early 2000s I had the privilege of seeing them a few times at L'Amour and it was like watching a different band. Pete was at home there, and you could tell - cracking jokes like everyone in the audience was a personal friend, downing a bottle of wine and getting emotional in between songs, and playing his ass off. The performances were wide-ranging and heartfelt, and all of their material held up. I'd have to say that at their best, they were in the top five or ten live acts that I've seen.
My friend Brian told me about catching Carnivore opening for Celtic Frost at L'Amours back in the 80's, that would have been a hell of a show. He said he remembers the band wearing loincloths back then and cracking jokes even back then, it seems like it was always part of his personality. I'm surprised to hear that they sucked those first couple of times you saw them, because your last account sounds more like the positive experience I had with them. I don't know that I've ever had a band reverse my opinion of them when putting on a good show after a bad one. If I was disappointed the first time, I've been disappointed each subsequent time as well. It was cool to hear that they made such a huge rebound for you though, maybe I'll get to experience that one day as well.

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Wow, the ‘Bloody Kisses’ tour. We must have only been 13 or 14. Was it an All Ages show or did you just mature quickly?

Yeah @BlutAusNerd, I think ‘October Rust’ is probably my favourite album of all time. ‘Bloody Kisses’ isn’t far behind though.

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Wow, the ‘Bloody Kisses’ tour. We must have only been 13 or 14. Was it an All Ages show or did you just mature quickly?

Yeah @BlutAusNerd, I think ‘October Rust’ is probably my favourite album of all time. ‘Bloody Kisses’ isn’t far behind though.

I was fourteen, so it must have been all ages. I went by myself. Queensryche was headlining, and they were amazing. I got jumped by some rednecks during their last song and it took my face several weeks to get better. Really an unforgettable night all around.

On 14/02/2018 at 12:15 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I was fourteen, so it must have been all ages. I went by myself. Queensryche was headlining, and they were amazing. I got jumped by some rednecks during their last song and it took my face several weeks to get better. Really an unforgettable night all around.

Sounds like quite a night. Operation face crime notwithstanding.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

. The speed bursts on there were fun too, and I think that's why I like Dead Again a lot too, more doom, some speed bursts, and a more integrated gothic sound instead of a more overbearing gothic sound. 

i could never get into the more speedy songs by type o. i really felt that bloody kisses was let down by the faster songs and as far as i know they were leftovers from the debut.