Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

Didn't expect to be double posting here. Don't you guys listen to music? 

Current albums on Radio Requiem, coming at ya from the catacombs of olde Melbourne town:

Five Finger Death Punch - 'Got Your Six' (calm down and read my explanation in the New Purchases thread)

Amon Amarth - 'The Crusher'

Amorphis - 'Tuonela'

18 hours ago, Requiem said:

Didn't expect to be double posting here. Don't you guys listen to music? 

Current albums on Radio Requiem, coming at ya from the catacombs of olde Melbourne town:

Five Finger Death Punch - 'Got Your Six' (calm down and read my explanation in the New Purchases thread)

Amon Amarth - 'The Crusher'

Amorphis - 'Tuonela'

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

Kreator "Endless Pain" - I fucking love this record, rabid as fuck thrash metal just how I like it.  Played it so much this week the disc is probably warped already.

Black Hammer - "The Horror" - French one modern Darkthrone worship done well.

Sodom "Decision Day" - I am still astounded at how good this is, really memorable and high impact.

12 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Kreator "Endless Pain" - I fucking love this record, rabid as fuck thrash metal just how I like it.  Played it so much this week the disc is probably warped already.

Black Hammer - "The Horror" - French one modern Darkthrone worship done well.

Sodom "Decision Day" - I am still astounded at how good this is, really memorable and high impact.

Endless Pain is sick. I miss Kreator's black metal days...

• 3 weeks later...

Akercocke - Renaissance In Extremis  ...maybe I've already said enough about how awesome I think this album is, but seriously, I've been listening to it several times a day since the early stream went up on Thursday. It expands on their prog tendencies in a great way, with mature songwriting and enough sharp edges to remind me that it's still a metal album (take that, Opeth). Last time an album hooked me like this was Pleiades' Dust, over a year ago.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side  ...a rare BG appearance, really happy I went back to this album in particular.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris  ...I have only listened to it once this week, but I've been walking around with pieces of it running through my head ever since, so in a way it's been the soundtrack to my last few days.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Akercocke - Renaissance In Extremis  ...maybe I've already said enough about how awesome I think this album is, but seriously, I've been listening to it several times a day since the early stream went up on Thursday. It expands on their prog tendencies in a great way, with mature songwriting and enough sharp edges to remind me that it's still a metal album (take that, Opeth). Last time an album hooked me like this was Pleiades' Dust, over a year ago.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side  ...a rare BG appearance, really happy I went back to this album in particular.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris  ...I have only listened to it once this week, but I've been walking around with pieces of it running through my head ever since, so in a way it's been the soundtrack to my last few days.

Elvenefris has a way of doing that to you. How many brutal death metal bands can boast that kind of memorability? Just Lykathea Aflame.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Elvenefris has a way of doing that to you. How many brutal death metal bands can boast that kind of memorability? Just Lykathea Aflame.

It's the way they expand beyond BDM that really does it for me. Some of those groovier parts are catchy as shit. Wormed has turned in some pretty damn catchy stuff as well, did you ever give them a chance?

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's the way they expand beyond BDM that really does it for me. Some of those groovier parts are catchy as shit. Wormed has turned in some pretty damn catchy stuff as well, did you ever give them a chance?

Even their brutal death parts are catchy and memorable, but those outside influences and genre expanding tendencies might help the more straightforward passages shine. Either way, the band is one of a kind and excellent. Wormed is awesome too, but nowhere near as catchy. I got Planisphærium a while back, it's sick.

14 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Even their brutal death parts are catchy and memorable, but those outside influences and genre expanding tendencies might help the more straightforward passages shine. Either way, the band is one of a kind and excellent. Wormed is awesome too, but nowhere near as catchy. I got Planisphærium a while back, it's sick.

Exodromos is their best IMO. I dig Planisphaerium and Krighsu as well, but they didn't hook me like Exodromos - subtle references to Brutal Truth and Cephalic Carnage if you're into that. Elvenefris has a pretty magical proportion of brutality to weird melody and catchy groove, both in the song structure and the vocals, so while it's easy to make comparisons to, say, Fear Factory in sections, I've never heard anything else quite like it.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Exodromos is their best IMO. I dig Planisphaerium and Krighsu as well, but they didn't hook me like Exodromos - subtle references to Brutal Truth and Cephalic Carnage if you're into that. Elvenefris has a pretty magical proportion of brutality to weird melody and catchy groove, both in the song structure and the vocals, so while it's easy to make comparisons to, say, Fear Factory in sections, I've never heard anything else quite like it.

Fear Factory? That's not a comparison I would have expected, nor that I can hear any relation to. I can hear some None So Vile, but otherwise it's in a world of its own.

15 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Any day now I should get my Akercocke album in the mail. Good to hear it's a great album. I have not listened to anything but the lead single and the original demo that they released. Based on what the band had been saying, I predicted it would sound closest to Words That Go Unspoken which would be totally fine with me if it does.  

9 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Any day now I should get my Akercocke album in the mail. Good to hear it's a great album. I have not listened to anything but the lead single and the original demo that they released. Based on what the band had been saying, I predicted it would sound closest to Words That Go Unspoken which would be totally fine with me if it does.  

It's not quite as aggressive overall as any of their previous stuff, but I think that's great, I'd rather have sincerely written proggy parts than forced brutality. I'd say it's closest to Antichrist as far as the melodies and vocal styles, but the songwriting is a lot more engaging for my money. I can't wait until I can afford to buy it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Massacre "From Beyond" - I forget I have this sometimes which is a shame because it would suggest that I (sub consciously at least) don't enjoy it as much as I think I do. I found it in the car this past week and blasted the fuck out of it for two days.

Death "The Sound Of Perseverance" - spent precious few hours with it up to now but already some memorable moments and I suspect a record that will reward me with further listens.

Motorhead "Overkill" - perfect driving music this past week on my many jaunts around the country.  

• 4 weeks later...

Suicidal Tendencies - "Lights...Camera...Revolution" - I never got on with ST back in the day (when I were a lad) but I picked up their debut recently and was actually surprised how much of it I liked.  This led to me their 1990 opus that was all over the metal shows I watched at the time (I lost count of how many times I fast forwarded through the video to "You Can't Bring Me Down" on my parents VHS player) and contrary to my impatience with their crossover attempts some twenty plus years ago I am addicted to this album this week. Even when not playing I can hear it in my head note for note in places.

Hawkwind - "Space Ritual" - I have heard bits of this over the years without ever once taking the opportunity to enjoy it in one sitting.  Finally, this week I got to sit down and trip along with it's space-prog majesty.  Opening up the expansion of more Hawkwind into the collection methinks.  I recall when I first took my cousins metal collection on vinyl back when I was 12/13 and in amongst the Iron Maiden, Saxon and UFO releases there was a Hawkwind record (can't remember which one) and I was near repulsed by the content.  If 41 year old me could go back and give 12/13 year old me some life advice it would be "stick with Hawkwind you spotty little fucker!"

Drudkh - "Microcosmos" - there's so much of this rattling around my paracetamol and caffeine fuelled brain at the moment I can't honestly say that I have digested it in full at this stage.  I knew Drudkh had prowess but this still caught me unaware at first listen and that doesn't happen to often (at least not always in a good way) with my established bands that I think I know well. 

I just saw an earlier post of mine that reminded me that I have the Blind Guardian live triple album somewhere in my house that I'd forgotten about. I only got it a few weeks ago. Hard to imagine that happening in the 90s... 

Paradise Lost - 'Medusa'

Sacramentum - 'Far from the Sun' 

Dawn - 'Slaughtersun' 

• 2 weeks later...

Angel Witch - self titled - in a week that saw me looking for the best metal albums of 1980 I picked up on the 30th Anniversary edition of this, much to my delight as I picked up "As Above, So Below" previously and wasn't massively enamoured with it.  80's Angel Witch are better than today's AW.

Midnight - "Satanic Royalty" - sort of describes Athenar down to a tee really that record title.  I like the absolute simplicity of this record above all else.  Delivered with that Motorhead-esque attitude coupled with a blacker edge to heavy metal that still never ventures into the "blackened, speed/thrash" metal category I often hear banded about.

Thin Lizzy - "Black Rose" - for some reason I have never really been drawn to Lizzy.  I have heard nothing to put me off but by the same token I have heard little beyond their "duo-guitar" sound to really shake my world.  The only thing that drew me to this (cover aside - which I think is awesome) is Gary Moore's involvement on the whole album.  I doubt I will play it much but it was entertaining enough whilst trying to soothe away the empty feeling of yesterday after a big night out the night before.  Some great guitar work on here.  

• 3 weeks later...

The King Is Blind - "We Are The Parasite, We Are The Cancer" - yes there's a review of this in the blog section for anyone who hasn't yet seen it TKIB so I won't go on here.  Needless to say I am loving this and am very excited for future releases from these boys.

Ozzy Osbourne - "The Ultimate Sin" - the streaming subscription I have picked up recently has helped me to explore some quite obvious albums that have either never had the chance to pick up or simply ones that I wanted to rediscover.  This is in the latter category having been a CD I once had (long lost) and it represents the pinnacle of Jake E Lee's contribution to the Osbourne discography.  Some turkeys on here yes but in the main still very entertaining.

Anthrax "State of Euphoria" - never heard this until last weekend and although it isn't on a par with say "Spreading The Disease" or "Among The Living" it made for great train journey music.  Definitely changed my opinion on Anthrax for positive ends after struggling for years to get on with Belladonna's vocals I am now a fan.

22 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Anthrax "State of Euphoria" - never heard this until last weekend and although it isn't on a par with say "Spreading The Disease" or "Among The Living" it made for great train journey music.  Definitely changed my opinion on Anthrax for positive ends after struggling for years to get on with Belladonna's vocals I am now a fan.

Finally, someone gets it. Usually when I bring up this album I get weird looks.

Kiss "Hotter Than Hell" - yes, I know the production values are non-existent near enough and I know that it is not really endeared as a classic of theirs but on my "Kiss Journey" I am up to album number two and I have enjoyed it thoroughly this past week.  The fun still shines through as does the cocksure attitude.

Bell Witch "Mirror Reaper" - another one subjected to my reviewing skills here so I won't go into too much detail.  I learned yesterday that the drummer from the band had left between "Four Phantoms" and "Mirror Reaper" and had tragically died.  They use some of his unused vocals from the last album on this one so literally there's a dead guy singing on here.

Morbid Angel "Gateways To Annihilation" - it doesn't age well but there's some great tracks on here and on the whole it is entertaining enough despite the "samey" nature to most of the tracks.

On 22/10/2017 at 11:43 PM, MacabreEternal said:

Ozzy Osbourne - "The Ultimate Sin" - the streaming subscription I have picked up recently has helped me to explore some quite obvious albums that have either never had the chance to pick up or simply ones that I wanted to rediscover.  This is in the latter category having been a CD I once had (long lost) and it represents the pinnacle of Jake E Lee's contribution to the Osbourne discography.  Some turkeys on here yes but in the main still very entertaining.

I didn't expect to see this one here! Excellent. I love this album, it's got some great Ozzy/Jake moments that's for sure. 

Top 3 Albums of the Week: 

Septicflesh - 'Codex Omega'. I definitely don't enjoy this album as much as the three before it, but I still really like it. The track 'Portrait of the Headless Man' is the highlight. What a great song. 

Wintersun - 'The Forest Seasons'. My favourite Wintersun release, this is just stunning. It grew and grew and now it's bloomed entirely. I love everything about this. It's very clever and paradoxically complex yet restrained (at times). Everything about it is amazing basically. 

Marduk - 'Frontschwein'. I don't think people are giving this album enough credit, and I think it will go down as one of black metal's all time masterpieces. It's intense, emotive, extreme, atmospheric, stunningly produced and not a weak spot on it. Just bloody amazing. 

Goddamn music is good at the moment. Long may it stay so.