Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

Nothing new on my top 3 for the week.

Baptism - Morbid Wings of Sathanas

Circle of Ouroborus - Kotiinpaluu

Key - Silver moon Slumber

The first is obviously a Finnish Black metal classic and a favorite of mine. Baptism do it for me more than any other Finnblack group. I can't pick a single weak release or one I regularly skip over. The other 2 are prime examples of why I love the the Finnish scene so much. Quirky, weird, experimental...no one does it as well as the Finns.

• 4 weeks later...

Witchtrap "Evil Strikes Again"

Graveland "Hour of Ragnarok"

Vietah "Smalisty Zah"

These are the albums I've listened to the most this week, with Witchtrap taking the top spot because I've listened to it probably like 6 times in 4 or 5 days. It's just that good of an album and I'm currently browsing Hells Headbangers looking for other bands from South America that might be as good or better. Central & South America seems to have a great metal scene & I'm looking forward to seeing what else the region produces, because it seems like thrash is really big down there.

Henbane Chariot - Allpine Séance ...the guitars on this recording are really interesting. This kind of reverb-drenched BM isn't what I usually gravitate towards, but the idiosyncratic guitar parts work with the sound to create an otherworldly atmosphere that's been just the ticket for these chilly fall mornings.

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations   ...prog thrash from Canada, not super vicious but with a great clear sound and some riffs that just won't get out of my head. I liked this well enough when it came out but I've been hooked lately. 

Kayo Dot - Moss Grew On The Swords And Plowshares Alike   ...sneaking in under the wire today. It's fair to say this one blew me away, it feels like something I've been looking for in heavy music for a while now. I listened to it twice in a row and I can't wait to put it on again. Love it when that happens.

On 11/1/2021 at 3:18 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Kayo Dot - Moss Grew On The Swords And Plowshares Alike   ...sneaking in under the wire today. It's fair to say this one blew me away, it feels like something I've been looking for in heavy music for a while now. I listened to it twice in a row and I can't wait to put it on again. Love it when that happens.

Is that the new one? It's been ages since I listened to Kayo Dot, can hardly remember what they sounded like. I know that my enthusiasim was tempered by how they were not as cool as their predecessor Maudlin the well. But maybe I'd be more receptive to it now.

My Top 3 albums this week:

Zornheym - The Zornheim sleep experiment

Symphonic death metal with incredibly infectious hooks, great vocals both growls and cleans, and a captivating storyline that seems inspired by the creepypasta The Russian sleep experiment.

Archspire - Bleed the future

Just tech death perfection. I don't see any band in the genre topping this.

Hippotraktor - Meridian

Some mix between posthardcore, rock, and something that I can only describe as "The Pelagic records" sound.

7 hours ago, Sheol said:

Is that the new one? It's been ages since I listened to Kayo Dot, can hardly remember what they sounded like. I know that my enthusiasim was tempered by how they were not as cool as their predecessor Maudlin the well. But maybe I'd be more receptive to it now.

Yes, it came out Friday. It had been a really long time for me as well, so I'm coming to it as a clean slate. There's some absolutely gorgeous stuff on there if you're in the right frame of mind. Home with my son today so any frame of mind is hard to come by.

https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/moss-grew-on-the-swords-and-plowshares-alike

• 6 months later...

I've always liked the idea of this thread, don't know why I don't post on it more often. 

Serpentshrine - Allegiance to the Myth, USBM from Norfolk VA. One of the frontrunners for aoty so far in my world.

Skumstrike - Deadly Intrusions, Montreal Quebec, this one's right up there next to it, in fact it might very well have taken the lead.

Grimtone - Polaris, these Swedes round out the recent black metal infatuations. 

Pharmacist - Flourishing Extremities On Unspoiled Mental Grounds, has probably fallen out of my top 3 most played of late, but I still just keep going back to this one over and over.

Vaamatar - Medievalgeist, USBM LA/NY, just found this riffy little gem this morning, but I'm already convinced this will be something I will need to revisit daily for the next few weeks anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Warfare Noise - Eternal Supremacy of the Tyrant, Paraguayan black/thrash (more black than thrash) I have been playing this one daily since Marko posted it a week or two ago, can't seem to get enough.

Phalanx Inferno - The Age of Anti-Aquarius, 2020 US black/death Texas/Florida. Same deal with this one, I believe Marko actually posted this on or about the same day as he posted Warfare Noise and I've been smitten ever since, I can't get enough.

Hell's Coronation, Silver Knife Mysticism, slow & evil black/death/doom from Poland. Love this band, I've had their 2019 full length since it came out but now I've finally gotten around to picking up their 20 minute EP from this past December.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can we embed bandcamp links?  Hmmm....let's try 

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=987072037/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/bluenothing">Bluenothing by Worm</a></iframe>

well, apparently not like that....

https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/bluenothing

• 2 weeks later...

This week has been the week of Diaboli. As usual with a new Diaboli record I can't seem to get enough of it. Petri's outdone himself with the new one and this has clearly been my album of the month, if not the entire year.

Diaboli - Pagan Gods Rise, Finland

The other records I've been totally stuck on lately are Rock Goddess' self-titled debut from 1983, and...

Anti - Anti, Germany 2021, just so good.

Wretched Path - Heavy Lies the Crown, Finish death, and this one which I wasn't even sure I liked at first but it's quickly become a favorite.

Other than those, the Cruz record from my laast post above is still in heavy rotation and the new Imprecation has been picking up steam. 

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This week has been the week of Diaboli. As usual with a new Diaboli record I can't seem to get enough of it. Petri's outdone himself with the new one and this has clearly been my album of the month, if not the entire year.

Diaboli - Pagan Gods Rise, Finland

Apparently not on Bandcamp or Spotify so it's too underground for me....well, that and I'm lazy.

18 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Not so much "underground" as he's signed to Darker Than Black. You'll either need a physical copy or a pirate ship, because its not going to pop up on streaming

I'm just lucky they put it up on Youtube because I had no idea he'd be releasing another one so soon after Nordic Storm last year.  He hasn't traditionally been an album a year guy. This new one was apparently recorded in 2013 and 2020 so I guess stuff he'd had in the can. It's available on CD from Germany for $12 +shipping so I'm hoping an American distro will get some in stock in the near future. Probably HHR will have it, he has a bunch of DTB stuff on his site and also a few older Diaboli albums.