Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet   ...I enjoyed this right off the bat but I could tell it was going to take some time to really sink in.  Complex, layered black metal from Greece with lengthy, riffy songs, interesting (and catchy) use of clean chanting vocals, hints of DM, and some outstanding sections that get stuck in my head for days. Good sound, too.

Grey Heaven Fall - Black Wisdom   ...I remember not getting into this album a while ago. I don't know why. It's really good. Black metal from Russia with a mix of modern dissonance (more along the lines of Icelandic stuff than DSO-worship, to my ears) and eastern European flair.

In Human Form - III   ...this isn't out yet. It's great. Progressive black metal from right here in New England, lots of cool riffs and melodic guitar interplay weaving through two long (18-20 minute) songs sandwiched around a less complicated 8 minute "interlude" track. I'm currently working on the cover art for this and I've been enjoying it more and more every time I play it. Best thing they've done IMO.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:13 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet   ...I enjoyed this right off the bat but I could tell it was going to take some time to really sink in.  Complex, layered black metal from Greece with lengthy, riffy songs, interesting (and catchy) use of clean chanting vocals, hints of DM, and some outstanding sections that get stuck in my head for days. Good sound, too.

Grey Heaven Fall - Black Wisdom   ...I remember not getting into this album a while ago. I don't know why. It's really good. Black metal from Russia with a mix of modern dissonance (more along the lines of Icelandic stuff than DSO-worship, to my ears) and eastern European flair.

In Human Form - III   ...this isn't out yet. It's great. Progressive black metal from right here in New England, lots of cool riffs and melodic guitar interplay weaving through two long (18-20 minute) songs sandwiched around a less complicated 8 minute "interlude" track. I'm currently working on the cover art for this and I've been enjoying it more and more every time I play it. Best thing they've done IMO.

Added the first two to my stream as they sound intriguing.

Devourment "Obscene Majesty"

I had this on whilst lay in bed this morning debating what to do with my day and it made its final "click" into place after a week of playing it.  I still find it a little off in the mix because I have to listen really hard to hear the riffs which is not something I would expect with this genre.  They are there though, fuck me are they there.  A brutal DM album you actually have to sit down and spend time with, who'd thought?

Misþyrming "Algleymi"

So much to absorb here as there's a lot going on and there has been such a progression from the debut full length.  Impossible not to like though even if the influences are obvious.  Melodic aggression built on thought out structures. One for @FatherAlabaster and @Requiem to cast an ear over if not already done so.

Necros Christos "Doom of the Occult"

If you have the time (and at 23 tracks it is a fucking big ask), "Doom of the Occult" is a real treat.  Vast in its scope and not afraid to show the grandeur, pomp and circumstance of the occasion, it can be a very rewarding listen if you are able to give it your full attention.

I had this on whilst lay in bed this morning debating what to do with my day and it made its final "click" into place after a week of playing it.  I still find it a little off in the mix because I have to listen really hard to hear the riffs which is not something I would expect with this genre.  They are there though, fuck me are they there.  A brutal DM album you actually have to sit down and spend time with, who'd thought?
Misþyrming "Algleymi"
So much to absorb here as there's a lot going on and there has been such a progression from the debut full length.  Impossible not to like though even if the influences are obvious.  Melodic aggression built on thought out structures. One for [mention=7138]FatherAlabaster[/mention] and [mention=10660]Requiem[/mention] to cast an ear over if not already done so.
If you have the time (and at 23 tracks it is a fucking big ask), "Doom of the Occult" is a real treat.  Vast in its scope and not afraid to show the grandeur, pomp and circumstance of the occasion, it can be a very rewarding listen if you are able to give it your full attention.

Doom of the Occult. Loved it when it came out, totally forgot about it. Must revisit.

4 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Misþyrming "Algleymi"

So much to absorb here as there's a lot going on and there has been such a progression from the debut full length.  Impossible not to like though even if the influences are obvious.  Melodic aggression built on thought out structures. One for @FatherAlabaster and @Requiem to cast an ear over if not already done so.

Thanks, I'm giving this a spin now.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, MacabreEternal said:

Misþyrming "Algleymi"

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out for sure. 

Three albums that I've been banging hardcore lately include: 

Thy Light - 'Suici.De.pression'

I have both full length Thy Light releases on Apple Music and this, the first, is definitely the best. Some of the best dsbm I've heard, this one man band from Brazil has recently moved to Scotland and plays guitar in Saor's live band. Keyboard heavy Burzumesque epics to suicide. Amazing, harrowing vocals. Final track includes a great guitar solo and the sound of a guy hanging himself at the end. Mint. 

KING - 'Reclaim the Darkness'

I can't stop listening to this Melbourne melodic black metal band, and I'm seeing them this Friday. What a production. What riffs. Great album cover too. Can't wait to see them live. Drummer from Psycroptic. 

Amorphis - 'Tuonela'

I hated this rock-based album when it first came out because I couldn't believe they would do away with the three things that made 'Elegy' so great (1. Keyboard melodies. 2. Growled vocals. 3. Finnish folklore lyrics). 20 years on I think I'm over the trauma and shock and can now enjoy a really good album for what it is. This is from the era when Paradise Lost, Theatre of Tragedy, Moonspell and Amorphis all went tits up with electronics and rock structures. This album is probably the best of the bunch though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding

I always had a soft spot for this shitty band. Because let's face it, it's basically a Darkthrone clone and not even a really good one at that. But somehow i keep returning to Judas Iscariot every few months. I must be said that with this album he probably came closest to producing what i would consider a decent album. The drumming is actually tolerable and the songs progress nicely. It's certainly one of the better Judas Iscariot album, although the "Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten" EP might be his real crowning achievement.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

I've been re-discovering the Dimmu Borgir discography these last few weeks. And this album is probably my favorite one so far. Hellhammer's drumming is superb as always and they still had Mustis and ICS Vortex in the band which made all the difference for their sound. The balance of keyboards and guitar's is just right on this album and ICS Vortex his clean vocals help to keep things interesting and fresh.  It's only after these two men left that Dimmu really went downhill. Dimmu probably should have called it quits after this one but instead they keep pushing delivering one tired album after another.

ICS Vortex - Stormseeker

After leaving Dimmu Borgir ICS Vortex decided to do a solo album and it's really a breath of of fresh air. If your are looking for true Norwegian black metal then keep looking. There a few light black metal influences on this album but for the most part each song sounds wildly different and unique ranging from straight up metal song to almost proggy or industrial tracks.. His vocals here sound as good as ever and the mish mash of different styles help to keep things interesting all the way through. Not every song is a certified banger but i would love to see another solo album by this man. But until then we can always enjoy his work in Borknagar now that he's back as their lead vocalist.

Mizmor 'Cairn'

There's so little in the way of stuff that I haven't heard before that actually moves me (fuck, hardly anything moves me these days), but the howls on this piece of blackened doom tear up my emotional palate with an ease that is as terrifying as it is welcome.  I just can't put into words how free they make me feel and how they represent such a limited yet so important presence on this record.  I only listened to this because of the cover.

Taake 'Noregs vaapen'

Little to not like here.  That , blackened, catchy, rock-edged riffing and of course that fucking banjo!

Diocletian 'War of All Against All'

Time with any Diocletian record is usually a rewarding experience, albeit I only came to this record because I was struggling to get to grips with their latest offering.  There's actual layers and variety here too considering it is war metal.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, Benjaminc81 said:

Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding

I always had a soft spot for this shitty band. Because let's face it, it's basically a Darkthrone clone and not even a really good one at that. But somehow i keep returning to Judas Iscariot every few months. I must be said that with this album he probably came closest to producing what i would consider a decent album. The drumming is actually tolerable and the songs progress nicely. It's certainly one of the better Judas Iscariot album, although the "Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten" EP might be his real crowning achievement.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

I've been re-discovering the Dimmu Borgir discography these last few weeks. And this album is probably my favorite one so far. Hellhammer's drumming is superb as always and they still had Mustis and ICS Vortex in the band which made all the difference for their sound. The balance of keyboards and guitar's is just right on this album and ICS Vortex his clean vocals help to keep things interesting and fresh.  It's only after these two men left that Dimmu really went downhill. Dimmu probably should have called it quits after this one but instead they keep pushing delivering one tired album after another.

ICS Vortex - Stormseeker

After leaving Dimmu Borgir ICS Vortex decided to do a solo album and it's really a breath of of fresh air. If your are looking for true Norwegian black metal then keep looking. There a few light black metal influences on this album but for the most part each song sounds wildly different and unique ranging from straight up metal song to almost proggy or industrial tracks.. His vocals here sound as good as ever and the mish mash of different styles help to keep things interesting all the way through. Not every song is a certified banger but i would love to see another solo album by this man. But until then we can always enjoy his work in Borknagar now that he's back as their lead vocalist.

Great post - wish I had my computer so I could type out a big thing. Hate typing on my phone. 

1. I just got hold of the Judas Iscariot live album/ep (number 223 of 300 I think) and it’s A along with Imperial from Krieg, Kanwolf from Nargaroth and the drummer from Maniac Butcher. It’s actually really good, albeit poor quality sound of course. Having those guys play the songs is amazing. A’s inter-song banter is pretty cool too. Agree though, JS have so many dodgy moments, especially in the drumming department. Also agree that ‘DCF’ is probably the best release. 

2. I thought both ‘Dimmu Borgir’ and especially ‘Eonian’ were better than ‘In Sorte’, an album which I found to be evidence that Vortex and Mustis weren’t happy. Great, great opening track though! ‘Eonian’ is for me the best DB album since ‘PEM’. Check it out again.

3. Never got into Vortex’s solo album. I need to check it out again properly. 

Ok, my 3:

Mgla - ‘Age of Excuse’. Better with each listen, especially after the fairly weak track 1.

Bloodbath -‘The Arrow of Satan is Drawn’. Seeing them this evening so I’ve given this Nick Holmes album a good blasting lately. It’s ok I guess. Very good in parts. 

Dark Funeral - ‘Where Shadows Forever Reign’. Saw them last weekend and just love this album. What a sound. How do they do it? New vocalist was amazing live. Damn. 

Abigor - Nachthymnen   ...I crossed paths with their music every so often throughout the years, but never really vibed with them until a few months ago, when I was put onto this album by the drummer I'm currently playing with. This is classic 90's melodic black metal, immediately identifiable as such yet with its own voice. Great melodies, inventive, energetic, with some parts that I wake up thinking about. Don't know why it took me so long to warm up to this band.

Convulsing - Grievous   ...when I first heard this band I dismissed them as yet another Ulcerate wannabe. The similarities are unavoidable but they have more in their pocket. Well-written, well-played disso-death with nice dynamics, a good sense of pacing, and appealingly dark vibes throughout.

Howling Sycamore - Seven Pathways To Annihilation   ...recently busted this back out after a bit of a break, and I have to say it's just as good as I could have wanted from them. It may not be as catchy as the debut, and it may take more work to get into, but it's got a lot of great moments that make me sit up and take notice. Hasn't worn out its welcome around here in the slightest.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, Requiem said:

Great post - wish I had my computer so I could type out a big thing. Hate typing on my phone. 

1. I just got hold of the Judas Iscariot live album/ep (number 223 of 300 I think) and it’s A along with Imperial from Krieg, Kanwolf from Nargaroth and the drummer from Maniac Butcher. It’s actually really good, albeit poor quality sound of course. Having those guys play the songs is amazing. A’s inter-song banter is pretty cool too. Agree though, JS have so many dodgy moments, especially in the drumming department. Also agree that ‘DCF’ is probably the best release. 

2. I thought both ‘Dimmu Borgir’ and especially ‘Eonian’ were better than ‘In Sorte’, an album which I found to be evidence that Vortex and Mustis weren’t happy. Great, great opening track though! ‘Eonian’ is for me the best DB album since ‘PEM’. Check it out again.

3. Never got into Vortex’s solo album. I need to check it out again properly. 

Ok, my 3:

Mgla - ‘Age of Excuse’. Better with each listen, especially after the fairly weak track 1.

Bloodbath -‘The Arrow of Satan is Drawn’. Seeing them this evening so I’ve given this Nick Holmes album a good blasting lately. It’s ok I guess. Very good in parts. 

Dark Funeral - ‘Where Shadows Forever Reign’. Saw them last weekend and just love this album. What a sound. How do they do it? New vocalist was amazing live. Damn. 

Can't imagine listening to a live album of Judas Iscariot since his studio recordings already sound like they were recorded in a wet cardboard box under the bridge with pots and pans and a out of tune guitar. But maybe i should give it a chance, after all i can't be that much worse. I'm always skeptical when it comes to live albums but i have been pleasantly suprised in the past.

Maybe i'll give the last two Dimmu albums a respin sometime in the future. But i just remember them being overlong and overblown. Very tiring to the ears and just a drag to get through. Shagrath should really dial it down a little when it comes to those symphonic element.

Thought the new Bloodbath was alright although "Grand Morbid Funeral" still rules supreme in my opinion.  The new album sounds cool but also a little like a band that is going through the motions at time. It's nothing too special but it should do nicely until the next album.

"Where Shadows Forever Reign" is without a doubt my favorite album by Dark Funeral. Finally they discovered it's not all about furious non stop blast beats and tremolo's. They finally opened up the songs and let them breathe a little and weren't afraid to inject some actual melodies. The slowest track "As I Ascend" is probably my favorite of that album. Only problem is that i detest the older albums even more now, now that i know what they are capable of. Although "The Secrets of the Black Arts"  is still tolerable in small doses.

I missed the whole Mgla hype train so maybe i should give them a spin sometime. Although can't say i'm in a hurry with so much albums by respected bands (Mayhem, 1349, Borknagar, Blut aus Nord, Abigail Williams) coming this and next month

This week i took the train back to:

Helloween - Master of the Rings

and after that:

While Heaven Wept - Sorrow of the Angels

and since i was in tilburg this weekend watching Ayreon perform Into the Electric Castle it should without a doubt be mentioned, even tho he has released other records I could go on about for hours.

So that’s my 3 Albums/EPs for this week.

cheers!

17 hours ago, Benjaminc81 said:

Can't imagine listening to a live album of Judas Iscariot since his studio recordings already sound like they were recorded in a wet cardboard box under the bridge with pots and pans and a out of tune guitar. But maybe i should give it a chance, after all i can't be that much worse. I'm always skeptical when it comes to live albums but i have been pleasantly suprised in the past.

Maybe i'll give the last two Dimmu albums a respin sometime in the future. But i just remember them being overlong and overblown. Very tiring to the ears and just a drag to get through. Shagrath should really dial it down a little when it comes to those symphonic element.

Thought the new Bloodbath was alright although "Grand Morbid Funeral" still rules supreme in my opinion.  The new album sounds cool but also a little like a band that is going through the motions at time. It's nothing too special but it should do nicely until the next album.

"Where Shadows Forever Reign" is without a doubt my favorite album by Dark Funeral. Finally they discovered it's not all about furious non stop blast beats and tremolo's. They finally opened up the songs and let them breathe a little and weren't afraid to inject some actual melodies. The slowest track "As I Ascend" is probably my favorite of that album. Only problem is that i detest the older albums even more now, now that i know what they are capable of. Although "The Secrets of the Black Arts"  is still tolerable in small doses.

I missed the whole Mgla hype train so maybe i should give them a spin sometime. Although can't say i'm in a hurry with so much albums by respected bands (Mayhem, 1349, Borknagar, Blut aus Nord, Abigail Williams) coming this and next month

Agree regarding ‘Where Shadows Forever Reign’ being their best, although I do really love ‘Diabolis Interium’ and ‘Secrets of the Black Arts’ too. ‘The Arrival is Satan’s Empire’ from ‘Diabolis’ being my favourite track overall. 

Maybe don’t re-listen to ‘Eonian’ if you don’t like symphonic. It’s more symphonic than Ludwig Van. 

Cant wait for new Borknagar. The two tracks released so far are brilliant, even without Vintersorg. 

Oh man, Mgla. I am sceptical as hell about youtube trend black metal, so didn’t even listen to ‘Exercises in Fuility’ until 4 years after its release, and I realise now I was a fool. It’s just glorious. Glorious. ‘Age of Excuse’ is ok but sill sinking in. Definitely not on the same level though. 

Slayer - Undisputed Attitude

Authenticity comes up a lot in my descriptions of metal.  There are moments at least - hopefully - on most records when there's a real sense of organic exhibition of the artist.  Not forced performance, not trying too hard, just doing what comes naturally.  For all the shite I have unearthed in Slayer's post-Seasons... material this week, Undisputed Attitude was a real unexpected surprise.  They managed to take their trademark aggression and effortlessly place it in a punk record.  

Slayer - Decade of Aggression

Picking away at the Slayer discography this week brought me back to this gem from my youth.  I played this record to death when I was a teenager.  It was for years that my listening experience of live records was limited to this and Live After Death.  Still as enjoyable some 20+ years on for me.  Had great fun ruining my neck to it yesterday afternoon.

Only 2 this week, busy week at working leaving little enough attention to focus on music properly. 

From last week

Death - Human

A masterpiece of technical death metal, progressive tendencies and incredibly memorable. Chuck in fine form as always on this one.

Candlemass - Nightfall

The band's best album and a classic in doom metal. Epic, heavy there is so much to like about this.

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Melodic, cold, enthralling black metal.

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls

Bit of a hit and miss album however it does have the great tracks Dragonaut, Sword Of Damocles and Battle Cry aswell as the absolute 10/10 masterpiece Halls Of Valhalla, which is in my opinion their best song they’ve recorded by far since Halford came back.

Tytan - Rough Justice

NWOBHM band formed partially by ex members of Angel Witch, really solid material.

Tank - Honour and Blood

Awesome album with fantastic speed metal being The War Drags Ever On and great headbangers like When All Hell Freezes Over and Kill.

Saor - ‘Forgotten Paths’. Short and repetitive, but oh so achingly glorious. 

Marduk - ‘La Grande Danse Macabre’. A very cool and punchy album that I’ve overlooked for years. 

Megadeth - Mustaine/Friedman/Ellefson/Menza era on shuffle.