Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

18 minutes ago, MattCantina said:

I'm very picky when it comes to atmospheric black metal and at first I found Mgla to be a little bland. Now though I'm starting to see why so many people praise them. 

I have never thought of them as atmospheric bm before, but rather as a cleaner, "polished" version of Darkthrone.

37 minutes ago, MattCantina said:

I'm very picky when it comes to atmospheric black metal and at first I found Mgla to be a little bland. Now though I'm starting to see why so many people praise them. 

I still don't understand the accolades. I think they're playing it safe. They sounded like they had great potential when I first heard them, but IMO they haven't delivered on it yet.

1 hour ago, ParisNavy said:

@ Requiem---I hope to come back tomorrow when I have more time and check out the cradle thing you suggested...Thanks!! Yup, "Thornography" was always my favorite cradle album followed by "Nymphetamine"--

Good stuff. Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Also, if you want a forum user to know you are addressing them, make sure you either quote the message you are responding to or tag them by doing the 'at' sign followed by their name without a space, like @ParisNavy

I only saw this due to my preternatural sixth sense. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, probably more accurate to say “Top 3 of the last 6 weeks” in my case.  Consistency is not my strong point in terms of this thread of late.

Candlemass “Nigthfall” - absolute masterpiece.  Love the theatre and majesty of the sound here, the operatic vocals and killer riffs combine to perfect effect.

Vektor “Black Future” - I am a dick sometimes (only sometimes).  Like when I first heard Vektor, got caught up in the “retro-Thrash” tag/label and reacted like a child having to eat their greens in the vain hope there was ice cream for desert.  There wasn’t,  if only I had dropped my conceived and misguided expectations I would have realised that ice cream was being served for starter, main and dessert.  Astonishing record.  The dick is dead, long live the dick!

Exodus “Fabulous Disaster” - nostalgia plays a heavy part in my third choice given I used to own this on vinyl as a teenager and until this past week I hadn’t heard this record for over twenty years.  There’s some curved balls here like “Low Rider” for example but when they hit the groove they fucking nail it on the likes of “Toxic Waltz” and “Cajun Hell”.

11 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Vektor “Black Future” - I am a dick sometimes (only sometimes).  Like when I first heard Vektor, got caught up in the “retro-Thrash” tag/label and reacted like a child having to eat their greens in the vain hope there was ice cream for desert.  There wasn’t,  if only I had dropped my conceived and misguided expectations I would have realised that ice cream was being served for starter, main and dessert.  Astonishing record.  The dick is dead, long live the dick!

Glad to hear you're warming up to them, it's impressive and ambitious music.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Windhand “Eternal Return”

Not my usual bag to be honest but there’s an infectious (if not predictable) grunge/pop edge to the vocals that just makes me smile.  A real “in my head for days” album after one listen.

Hate Eternal “Upon Desolate Sands”

Although never exactly setting the world on fire this is still entertaining enough.  Memorability factor is somewhere between a minus score and zero but well put together still and a couple of tracks are a notch above the rest in the quality stakes.

Perturbator “New Model”

My flirtation with retro electro/dark electronic rarely breeds a release included in my top three of the week, but a combination of scant time for music and this being Perturbators finest hour help this one occupy third place.  A maturity is obvious in the sound and variety to the tracks also noticeable.

Top 3 Albums of the Week

1. Moonspell - '1755'. A staggering album from 2017, this needs to be heard regularly by everyone who likes anything. Album of the decade. 

2. Watain - 'Trident Wolf Eclipse'. Took a few listens but this clattering first wave inspired album is becoming very special. 

3. Immortal - 'Northern Chaos Gods'. Amazing Immortal album. Exciting. Next level. True. Modern. Better than 'At the Heart of Winter'? I'm going to call it. 

On 8/19/2018 at 8:48 AM, MacabreEternal said:

It's kind of unfortunate that the rethrash bands caught on more than some of the bands that were actually working off more substantive influences. 

Soulfly "Ritual" - there's a review coming up on the blog section about this so I won't say too much now.

Outer Heaven "Realms of Eternal Decay"

Pyrexia "Unholy Requiem" - both of these are energetic sounding, catchy DM records with their share of groove  (Pyrexia) or hardcore (Outer Heaven).  Both thoroughly entertaining.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:20 PM, Ecthelion said:

Anacrusis - Suffering Hour 

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse 

Catharsis - Pathways to Wholeness

@Requiem @salmonellapancake I think you guys would like Suffering Hour, if you haven't already heard it. 

I'll check it out too. Thanks for the Req. I mean, rec. 

Disincarnate "Dreams of the Carrion Kind" - James Murphy doing his own shit predictably brings some inventive riffage and melodic solos.  Not a lot wrong here.

Mütiilation "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" - the grim majesty of this collection of dark incantations is excellent.  Each track is as cold, dank and depressing as the rest and delivered with an almost unforgiving rawness and visceral poise.  Been on rotation for 3 weeks now. As soon as the autumn starts out comes the BM.

Morta Skuld "Dying Remains" - the very epitome of slow to mid-paced DM combined with a dark atmosphere.  Takes all the best bits of Obituary and Autopsy and applies them in amongst plenty of their own ideas.

23 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Morta Skuld "Dying Remains" - the very epitome of slow to mid-paced DM combined with a dark atmosphere.  Takes all the best bits of Obituary and Autopsy and applies them in amongst plenty of their own ideas.

Good stuff, check out the follow-up "As Humanity Fades" if you haven't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bighedwolfgang said:

If you like hard rock, progressive rock, guitars and alternative rock, please visit my website https://farehavenrocks.com and https://www.youtube.com/user/torsion12003

1. You didn't even take the time to check the forum titles to find the 'Self Promotion' forum. This is a discussion website to talk about music. Get involved. 

2. What are your top 3 albums of the week? 

Mine are: 

Finntroll - 'Nifelvind'

Shining - 'X Varg Utan Flock'

Iron Maiden - 'Number of the Beast'